Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136684 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2022, 05:41:37 AM »
55mm Conical on Thunder lights. No issues here ( 150 lbs ).

Frank and Fred

« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
Aside from wheelbite reduction, risers help Thunders turn better. an 1/8" riser destabilizes them nicely.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »
I’m riding 54mm on 147 cast. I do get wheelbite, but as said above wheel wells can help.
I think Suciu rides 147 with 54mm as well.
I’m skating a 8.5 on the 147s right now, and my kickflips are working great.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2022, 09:23:20 PM »
I rode 54 on 148s just fine. Honestly for me wheelbite is inevitable if I stomp something hard enough off center.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »
I mostly run 52s or 53s on my thunders, but I’m a heavier guy so wheelbite is just something I’ve learned to live with. Currently riding a polar with wheel wells and that’s definitely helped a bit  I’ve also just waited to wheelbite through a ply or 2 and then waxed them really good

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2022, 07:32:17 AM »
I'm riding 55s on Thunder 149s right now and it's working fine. Unless you skate really tight trucks or weigh 100 pounds, you're probably gonna wheelbite either way.

IpathCats

« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2022, 08:18:49 AM »
I had 56mm classics on my 148s for a bit. had to be careful and a bit more precise, but it worked alright. Classic shape really helps those wanting a larger diameter wheel while not wanting to run risers.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2022, 12:03:13 PM »
I had 56mm classics on my 148s for a bit. had to be careful and a bit more precise, but it worked alright. Classic shape really helps those wanting a larger diameter wheel while not wanting to run risers.

Yes.

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #608 on: August 01, 2022, 09:05:32 PM »
Does anyone know what bushing hardness comes with the 148 Thunder lights? I’m assuming medium but just want to confirm. Getting some truck/bushing madness going on

LebowskisRug

« Reply #609 on: August 01, 2022, 09:08:34 PM »
All Thunder trucks come with 90a bushings. If you live in one of those flyover states that have crusty strip malls then they might feel like 900a in winter.

Does anyone know if the bushings have been reformulated when they changed the logo and packaging. I don't live in a cold area and actually really like Thunder stock bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »
Anyone ride a Baker or similar mellow deck on Thunders? If so, how was it?

I think the most mellow deck I've had them on as a 917 that was super flat and I have forged ti whatever the fucks that were stupid light to begin with. I now have Team standard discount bin edition.

danmasontree

« Reply #611 on: August 02, 2022, 05:09:25 AM »

I think the most mellow deck I've had them on as a 917 that was super flat and I have forged ti whatever the fucks that were stupid light to begin with. I now have Team standard discount bin edition.

I rode foundation/toy machine decks for a few years on thunders. Loved it. Went on a blood wizard kick which are pretty mellow as well and love it too

danmasontree

« Reply #612 on: August 02, 2022, 05:13:30 AM »
All Thunder trucks come with 90a bushings. If you live in one of those flyover states that have crusty strip malls then they might feel like 900a in winter.

Does anyone know if the bushings have been reformulated when they changed the logo and packaging. I don't live in a cold area and actually really like Thunder stock bushings.

I upgraded from 147’s to 148’s and I hated the bushings. They kept getting stuck and wouldn’t break in. Switched to bones bushings but I kinda miss how the Thunder bushings feel. Wondering if maybe I should get hard Thunder bushings since I’m a bigger dude

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #613 on: August 02, 2022, 05:33:15 AM »

There was a comment section on Instagram a while back when they released the new colors and Thunder confirmed that the bushings are the same formula just new colors.

(Edited because I found the comment/reply)

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2022, 06:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I rode foundation/toy machine decks for a few years on thunders. Loved it. Went on a blood wizard kick which are pretty mellow as well and love it too

I also would say Toy Machine pairs great with Thunder.  It feels perfect.  On the other hand, I couldn't get a Baker that I tried to ever feel right on the Thunders.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #615 on: August 02, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I also would say Toy Machine pairs great with Thunder.  It feels perfect.  On the other hand, I couldn't get a Baker that I tried to ever feel right on the Thunders.

Last time I rode an 8.25" baker with 148s, the manual point was sooo heavy, made no sense. Indy's felt great (go figure).

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #616 on: August 10, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
Got my first thunders recently. Good gawd they're squeaky. Gonna get out the wax and pencil lead after dinner.

I've always used wax on squeaky trucks in the past but I'm going to try one with graphite and see which works better.

Edit:
Graphite powder didn't do anything so gulf wax had to come to the to the rescue.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:19:55 PM by Bold »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #617 on: August 10, 2022, 07:31:43 PM »
Clicking is due to washers binding and flat washers are the answer right?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #618 on: August 10, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »
Got my first thunders recently. Good gawd they're squeaky. Gonna get out the wax and pencil lead after dinner.

I've always used wax on squeaky trucks in the past but I'm going to try one with graphite and see which works better.

Edit:
Graphite powder didn't do anything so gulf wax had to come to the to the rescue.

That’s funny, thunders are the only trucks that haven’t squeaked for me. My Indy’s always squeaked like crazy and my aces squeak AND click

pops

• Rep: 244
« Reply #619 on: August 11, 2022, 02:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

That’s funny, thunders are the only trucks that haven’t squeaked for me. My Indy’s always squeaked like crazy and my aces squeak AND click

I find this kinda funny.  ;D soon we're able to recognize trucks by the sounds the make. Squeak and click, that's Ace!

Anyways, I've been intrested in trying Thundies in years. Are the wooden risers worth it? I'm probably getting 151s and I ride wheel sizes 52 to 56.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #620 on: August 11, 2022, 03:18:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

[close]

I find this kinda funny.  ;D soon we're able to recognize trucks by the sounds the make. Squeak and click, that's Ace!

Anyways, I've been intrested in trying Thundies in years. Are the wooden risers worth it? I'm probably getting 151s and I ride wheel sizes 52 to 56.

Lots of people ride Thunders without any risers on that approximate range wheel size, but I find that I need at least a couple of mm extra height just to keep the normal team Thunders at a good height to turn with anything in that range wheel size.  Without I am in constant wheelbite danger, but I am used to slightly taller trucks / more turn, even with the stock bushings.

If you get the risers, you can always take them off if you feel like they are too much, but they definitely work well, given they are the exact size and shape for Thunder trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #621 on: August 11, 2022, 06:26:33 AM »
Honestly I don't think I've ever had a truck that didn't squeak, even during my brief departure away from Thunders. I only tend to notice if I'm just standing on my board but if I'm rolling the wheels are always louder than the trucks.

IpathCats

« Reply #622 on: August 11, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
Honestly I don't think I've ever had a truck that didn't squeak, even during my brief departure away from Thunders. I only tend to notice if I'm just standing on my board but if I'm rolling the wheels are always louder than the trucks.

As someone with severe truck madness, squeak alone has driven me to switch trucks. For some reason, my experience is that while all trucks can squeak, thunders squeak in a way that isnt NEARLY as noticeable while riding.

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #623 on: August 11, 2022, 06:45:27 AM »
Put a small bit of wax in your pivot cups and the squeak will go away.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #624 on: August 11, 2022, 06:54:08 AM »
A drop of dish soap in the pivot cup works pretty well too, mine mostly squeak when it's cold out, been pretty much silent all summer.
I roll 147 hollow light with 50mm bones STF skinny. I ride pretty loose, so I feel like most situations where I wheelbite, I probably would have no matter what brand I was riding.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: August 11, 2022, 07:03:27 AM »
Do y'all actually take your trucks off to do that?

Kinda wanna try but I'm afraid I won't get them back how I like and fall into a pit of madness.

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #626 on: August 11, 2022, 07:04:22 AM »
I used a 1/8" riser when I had 147 lights, but now I'm on 148 standards with no riser.

Without the riser I was getting too much wheelbite and the tail hit the ground too quickly for me to get good pop. The riser fixed those problems.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #627 on: August 11, 2022, 07:05:11 AM »
Mark the kingpin and nut with a sharpie. Bonus madness points if you put small dots on the bushings so they line up precisely too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
Would a 147 on an 8.25 board wheelbite less than a 148 because of the angle which the wheel contacts the board?  Or is the truck proportionately smaller so it’s about the same?  Or more? 

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
Do y'all actually take your trucks off to do that?

Kinda wanna try but I'm afraid I won't get them back how I like and fall into a pit of madness.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get them back how you like them. I tighten my truck to where the nut is perfectly flush with the kingpin, so I just go back to that when I reassemble and it's perfect. If you go tighter just count the threads showing and go back to the same. May require a tiny bit of tweaking here and there if you're pretty picky but shouldn't be an issue.