Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136686 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #660 on: August 21, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »
If people are wondering about Thunders and carve, just watch Chris Athans in the new GX video. Dude cranks his rear truck and seems to do juuuust. I feel if there was Slap Bingo, "jiggly loose" would be the free space.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #661 on: August 22, 2022, 12:25:57 PM »
Anyone still running Bones in Thunders? If so, why? Just curious as I have only fucked with the stock bushings, but have some mediums in my gear bin and noticed people still do this.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: August 22, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »
Anyone still running Bones in Thunders? If so, why? Just curious as I have only fucked with the stock bushings, but have some mediums in my gear bin and noticed people still do this.

I’ve never tried it on my board but I did stand on a few boards that had Thunder with Bones bushings and they felt pretty good. More responsive in my opinion. I’m just being stubborn and not changing my stocks until they’re blown.

Scottboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #663 on: August 22, 2022, 03:47:12 PM »
I’ve been riding the Bones Hard bushings in my Thunders for a while. At the time Thunder aftermarket bushings were nowhere to be found so it was the best option for harder bushings. I’m around 190lbs and harder bushings are the only way I can get trucks to a medium-tight level and they’re doing that job quite well.

My only compliant is they make squeaking/popping/creaking noises like crazy. I assumed it was just because they were new and it would go away as I broke them in but that was over a year ago and they’re still making just as much noise as they did the day I got them.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #664 on: August 22, 2022, 07:09:56 PM »

Thunder Lows. Bones soft without washers cuz I wouldn't be able to get the bolt fully and like the way they turn. Why? It's the only bushings I have..

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder Lows. Bones soft without washers cuz I wouldn't be able to get the bolt fully and like the way they turn. Why? It's the only bushings I have..

You really have thunder lows?

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2022, 09:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was wrong..haven't bought new trucks forever . They are 147 hi's.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2022, 10:18:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was wrong..haven't bought new trucks forever . They are 147 hi's.

Makes more sense. Carry on

Mixed Bag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2022, 10:57:21 PM »
Hello all,

My first post on this forum.

Searched around but I couldn’t find an answer for my question.  Or I suck at searching, which is a real possibility.

My son who’s about 80lbs is having trouble turning on his new setup which has 147’s on stock (90a?) blue bushings.

We’ve gone out for 4 sessions, and I’m a stickler for proper break in procedure, he hasn’t been doing any drops or any tech.

Just carving and riding fast on flat, and aside from the how to break in bushings lesson I’m not a skate coach.

He still gets on 2 wheels on tight turns far from wheelbite.

Does Thunder make anything softer than 90’s or do I need to get my fat ass on that deck and break them in for him? I’m a bit concerned about that since I ride goofy and he’s regular and my switch game is tragic.

I broke in my black 100’s on my 148 in three sessions, but I weigh 200 and that probably makes break in time faster.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2022, 11:06:14 PM »
Thunder doesn’t make anything softer than 90a (as far as I know) so I would recommend the Bones Soft bushings. They’re 81a which should be perfect for him. I ride Bones bushings in my Thunders and they fit and work great. Independent makes some 78a bushings which might be even better but I’ve never tired Indy bushings in Thunders so I can’t speak on performance/compatibility.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2022, 03:12:11 AM »
Hello all,

Searched around but I couldn’t find an answer for my question.  Or I suck at searching, which is a real possibility.

My son who’s about 80lbs is having trouble turning on his new setup which has 147’s on stock (90a?) blue bushings.

We’ve gone out for 4 sessions, and I’m a stickler for proper break in procedure, he hasn’t been doing any drops or any tech.

Just carving and riding fast on flat, and aside from the how to break in bushings lesson I’m not a skate coach.

Does Thunder make anything softer than 90’s or do I need to get my fat ass on that deck and break them in for him? I’m a bit concerned about that since I ride goofy and he’s regular and my switch game is tragic.

I broke in my black 100’s on my 148 in three sessions, but I weigh 200 and that probably makes break in time faster.

If you get a few carvy turns in, see if they loosen up at all (which I am thinking they should a bit) but watch that you don't get wheelbite and thrown off in the process.

No tricks needed, just roll around or even just stand on something like carpet or grass and lean heavy heel to toe to heel to toe, etc for a dozen of each and that should soften up the bushings quite a bit.

The only other thing I have done is cut them down some (cutting the top bushing down to make them lower tops gives way more clearance with the nut in the same place as well as the piece being able to be put back in if needed), but even rubbing the top bushing on grip tape to wear it down a bit should help a whole lot, which I know some others do with their Thunder bushings.

One other thing that is super simple and might actually be best to try first, but I know some people take off the bottom bushing washer and run the trucks as is like that which really does make them way looser.  Others have put on a thin flat top washer, either of which will make everything turn way more and shouldn't affect performance of the trucks and avoids cutting or modifying anything - easy to try and if it doesn't work, just put the washers back on as they were.

They are all the options without having to buy anything new (apart from the flat top washer if you don't have any floating around) and at least trying a few of those can help to work out if the bushings will soften up or make the board easier to ride.

Stance is of no importance either - if the bushings end up leaning to one side, rotate them 90 degrees so they are facing forward / back, and not side to side from where they were.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2022, 05:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello all,

[close]

If you get a few carvy turns in, see if they loosen up at all (which I am thinking they should a bit) but watch that you don't get wheelbite and thrown off in the process.

No tricks needed, just roll around or even just stand on something like carpet or grass and lean heavy heel to toe to heel to toe, etc for a dozen of each and that should soften up the bushings quite a bit.

The only other thing I have done is cut them down some (cutting the top bushing down to make them lower tops gives way more clearance with the nut in the same place as well as the piece being able to be put back in if needed), but even rubbing the top bushing on grip tape to wear it down a bit should help a whole lot, which I know some others do with their Thunder bushings.

One other thing that is super simple and might actually be best to try first, but I know some people take off the bottom bushing washer and run the trucks as is like that which really does make them way looser.  Others have put on a thin flat top washer, either of which will make everything turn way more and shouldn't affect performance of the trucks and avoids cutting or modifying anything - easy to try and if it doesn't work, just put the washers back on as they were.

They are all the options without having to buy anything new (apart from the flat top washer if you don't have any floating around) and at least trying a few of those can help to work out if the bushings will soften up or make the board easier to ride.

Stance is of no importance either - if the bushings end up leaning to one side, rotate them 90 degrees so they are facing forward / back, and not side to side from where they were.

What Mbrimson said but one thing: if you are the opposite stance and plan on breaking in the bushings for him just turn the board around backwards. Should work the same as rotating the bushings after the fact. I’m really backing the “remove the bottom washer “ technique. I think that’s going to get you the result you’re looking for.

Mixed Bag

« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2022, 07:42:58 AM »
Thank you to;

Scottboarding, Mbrimson88, and Richard Skidder,

Posting this as I make some coffee on my sons board on a door matt, back to front, leaning back and forth, if that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll remove the lower washer, and then if all else fails it’s off to bones softs.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2022, 07:43:04 AM »
80lbs is half the weight of a light adult. I would look into some of the Riptide bushings that come in soft duros or toss the Indy soft conical or Bones soft in. Personally I would run the stock top washer with Bones. It will bind with the hanger near the wheelbite and potentially save him some slams.

Another thought if you go the Indy conical route you can shave the top bushing down easier. You could just slice 1-2mm off.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2022, 10:18:15 AM »
Yo gods anyone try Indy bushings on their Thunders? I usually rock the 95a bushings from the rebuild kit but my shop is out Thunder bushings and only has Indys. I'm struggling in between the 96a and 94a optiions but was more concerned if if they fit ok or not.

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2022, 11:16:56 AM »

I'm running bones hard on thunder hollows with a Krux DLK and it's bc the other bushings wouldn't fit the height since I wanted the kingpin nut to be at least flush. I had to shave the top bushing down a couple mm so it could still feel loose to a point but have a solid rebound. I like the hard top bones bushings a lot so I'm gonna stick with that, I'll read up on how @ Xen does their trucks and then just swap to a medium or soft bottom bushing based on their experience and go from there (Indy super softs maybe?)

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #676 on: August 23, 2022, 11:48:37 AM »
Yo gods anyone try Indy bushings on their Thunders? I usually rock the 95a bushings from the rebuild kit but my shop is out Thunder bushings and only has Indys. I'm struggling in between the 96a and 94a optiions but was more concerned if if they fit ok or not.
indy bushings should be fine as long as you get the conical shaped ones. avoid the ones with the barrel bottoms as that will decrease the turning responsiveness that Thunder is known for.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #677 on: August 23, 2022, 12:24:21 PM »
80lbs is half the weight of a light adult. I would look into some of the Riptide bushings that come in soft duros or toss the Indy soft conical or Bones soft in. Personally I would run the stock top washer with Bones. It will bind with the hanger near the wheelbite and potentially save him some slams.

Another thought if you go the Indy conical route you can shave the top bushing down easier. You could just slice 1-2mm off.
Thank you to;

Scottboarding, Mbrimson88, and Richard Skidder,

Posting this as I make some coffee on my sons board on a door matt, back to front, leaning back and forth, if that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll remove the lower washer, and then if all else fails it’s off to bones softs.

This is the way.

I don't know what your kids/your preferences are, but using anything but thunder bottoms does throw off the geo. That said, I've ridden bones softs (at 175+) in thunder 148s. Wheelbite city but fun and they worked.

Try NFG if they still have some 14mm conicals, they fit and are much softer than thunder stock.

But might just be easier/cheaper to sand the stock too down (I do it with an old deck); Just remember to rotate the bushing to sand it evenly
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:55:46 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #678 on: August 23, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »
I’d consider waxing/soaping to get things moving too.  Using a flat washer on top I think would make a difference.  I’ve always found thunders not touched out of the box as kinda loose and then they tighten up but I’m not 80 lbs or skated them recently…..

If you swap out the bushings…get ones that you like just in case they don’t work on his board…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: August 23, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Waxing soaping what now?

They’re tight cus the kid is 100lbs, nothing is squeaking…

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #680 on: August 23, 2022, 04:31:03 PM »
I recently had the exact same problem, stock thunders were way too hard for the kid. The soft green mini logos worked great. Glad I found a use for those, bought them for myself but they're stupid soft.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #681 on: August 23, 2022, 05:48:02 PM »
Waxing soaping what now?

They’re tight cus the kid is 100lbs, nothing is squeaking…

I just find after I do that stuff runs more smoothly and you get a bit more movement. 

Honestly I think shit’ll just break in and I’m trying to deter dudes from incessantly buying shit.  It’s just not a complaint I hear much….thunders too tight.  Usually it’s guys skating tight thunders saying they skate medium trucks….

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: August 23, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »
thunders too tight.  Usually it’s guys skating tight thunders saying they skate medium trucks….

Agree with that for sure. Same vibe when people say "I don't get wheelbite and I ride 800mm wheels" riding their trucks tight AF.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:47:41 PM by Xen »

Mixed Bag

« Reply #683 on: August 23, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
hey there goodatmeth and skatebruh,

I'll look into the mini logo bushings, if the other plans don't work out.

LebowskisRug,  Riptide site is a good recco also, just need to decipher it all.

jay...soy.....

I just put wax on the pivot cups, but maybe I'll have a go on the bushings

Xan

NFG has 90a half conicals in 14mm, is that what you're suggesting?  with washers?  I do the figure 8 method of sanding so thanks for that advice. 

Sorry all, Im super un tech oriented with skating, but I want my boy to enjoy it, and I see so many kids just not able to turn due to bushings being way too hard.

What I really want out his skating is to have some ability to carve a turn especially before he shin's somebody  ;D

Thank you for all the replies.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #684 on: August 23, 2022, 08:21:15 PM »
I've seen some small kids at parks over the last year and all of them have trucks that are clearly jiggling, but when they ride it they have plenty of control it's just what's required to turn. If you call or email Riptide they will definitely recommend the right thing.

Another idea is you can use a top bushing for the bottom as well. A few pros do this and then you don't have to worry as much with all the aftermarket options.

As for Thunders being loose I basically ride mine stock and no one that has ever stepped on my board has classified them as tight, but not up to Slap looseness standards. Probably just fine for most people and I've never felt it has been preventative. Something about the arc of the turn works with how I balance.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: August 23, 2022, 08:55:47 PM »
I think stock thunder is pretty loose for sure.

Expand Quote
thunders too tight.  Usually it’s guys skating tight thunders saying they skate medium trucks….
[close]

Agree with that for sure. Same vibe when people say "I don't get wheelbite and I ride 800mm wheels" riding their trucks tight AF.

*cough Ben Degros….

Honestly when I skated thunders I skated them prettty tight too.  If I had to do it all over I’d prolly skate bones hard. 

Might give them a try again when/if they drop the inverted kingpin, they look decent…

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #686 on: August 23, 2022, 09:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
indy bushings should be fine as long as you get the conical shaped ones. avoid the ones with the barrel bottoms as that will decrease the turning responsiveness that Thunder is known for.
Thanks man, Ill give them a try then and Ill report back.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #687 on: August 23, 2022, 10:55:14 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

*cough Ben Degros….

Honestly when I skated thunders I skated them prettty tight too.  If I had to do it all over I’d prolly skate bones hard. 

Might give them a try again when/if they drop the inverted kingpin, they look decent…
No they ARE medium I just have very strong ankles.....

Richard Skidder

« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2022, 04:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

*cough Ben Degros….

[close]
No they ARE medium I just have very strong ankles.....

Stock tightness for me. What’s the starting size for “800 millimeter wheels”?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: August 24, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »
hey there goodatmeth and skatebruh,

Xan

NFG has 90a half conicals in 14mm, is that what you're suggesting?  with washers?  I do the figure 8 method of sanding so thanks for that advice. 

Thank you for all the replies.

https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/90a-half-conical-bushings-set-of-2

Yes, those will work!