Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136757 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1170 on: April 22, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did they move manufacturing back to the states? i thought i saw some random post of a truck that had a "made in the usa" tag on it
[close]

They have always poured the hangers and cast base plates in SF.
[close]

With the made in the USA sticker they may be old stock, or an old photo. Though all cast models are poured in the USA the materials are sourced elsewhere including the bushings and hardware, making them not enough to still be labeled as USA made. Also there are rumors of Thunder and Venture moving production to Mexico.
[close]

Saw some thunders at my local that said made in Mexico on the sticker. Heard the same about spitfire

Yes DLX has moved production to Mexico for pretty much everything now.

Spitfire wheels have been made there for a few years, trucks more recently, from other info on here.

Apart from a few minor quality control issues in the last few years with some products, I think everything is ok, no problems, etc, so all good there.

I guess it is just one of those things, Ace always being made in China, Indy moved to China a number of years ago now, Thunder and Venture were the last from Ermico in SF, now to Mexico.  Other truck brands being made in China from the start, or moving production there well over two decades ago.

Heard some people making a fuss of where things are made, but not a worry to me.  Everyone has an opinion and that is ok too.

As to Thunder in particular, I skated them for years, no issues.  I just added a riser, usually thin rubber cut out DIY type thing for the most part and they skated great.  Still have a few boards set up with various size Thunders and have no issues with them either.

Maybe the only thing I would like to see from Thunder are the low top bushings, like the Venture "loose truck" kit that came out not so long ago.  There is definitely a market for that low top with the conical shaped bottom bushings, both for lighter weight / smaller skaters and for people who either want loose trucks, or to tighten them down and have more kingpin clearance after angle grinding off the top of the kingpin, as per most of my own personal setups.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1171 on: April 22, 2023, 06:32:44 PM »
Maybe that’s why they haven’t dropped the IKP….transitioning factories….

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1172 on: April 23, 2023, 02:30:57 AM »
I am also in the camp of the baseplate “issue” actually being advantageous...

Bold statement. What "advantage" does the design of Thunder baseplates provide?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1173 on: April 23, 2023, 03:26:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I suppose as it is with most things it’s just what you are used to, but I think my nose and tail slides feel more “locked in” on thunders and stabler if that makes any sense. Also when I skate ventures or ace and am hitting a chunky ledge I find the baseplate can kind of dig in and make for a stuttered slide sometimes. Then again, it’s probably just my rubbish technique.

The one thing I have noticed however, is you have to get into them nice and square, and sometimes particularly with front noses I tend to get thrown off cause I’ve over rotated and the wheels catch. Again technique, but I do find ventures have more margin for error in this way.

All this is to say I prefer thunders probably because that’s the truck I learnt these tricks on and can do them the most consistently with.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1174 on: April 23, 2023, 03:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have noticed that i slide easier with thunders on really crusty ledges, coz with other trucks sometimes the baseplate kind of get caught beacuse of the cracks. But on smooth ledges and metal i prefer the baseplate slide, coz i can hold it longer.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1175 on: April 23, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well I suppose as it is with most things it’s just what you are used to, but I think my nose and tail slides feel more “locked in” on thunders and stabler if that makes any sense. Also when I skate ventures or ace and am hitting a chunky ledge I find the baseplate can kind of dig in and make for a stuttered slide sometimes. Then again, it’s probably just my rubbish technique.

The one thing I have noticed however, is you have to get into them nice and square, and sometimes particularly with front noses I tend to get thrown off cause I’ve over rotated and the wheels catch. Again technique, but I do find ventures have more margin for error in this way.

All this is to say I prefer thunders probably because that’s the truck I learnt these tricks on and can do them the most consistently with.

Interesting. This makes sense. If you have two points of contact spread apart on the ledge as opposed to a single one in the middle, you do have a wider base of support as you slide.

Definitely hear you about having to get into slides square with Thunders. Riding Indys, I can get in at a sharper angle and have the slide click into place. Especially with 139s on 8.25.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1176 on: April 23, 2023, 09:36:19 AM »
I slide longer on thunders and I learned to shuv out on them too for back tails. I basically realized you have to almost try to get that screech and power slide and it works perfectly.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1177 on: April 23, 2023, 09:51:49 AM »
...If you have two points of contact spread apart on the ledge as opposed to a single one in the middle, you do have a wider base of support as you slide.

And also what makes you stick unless using crazy amounts of wax. :)

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1178 on: April 23, 2023, 10:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
...If you have two points of contact spread apart on the ledge as opposed to a single one in the middle, you do have a wider base of support as you slide.
[close]

Which was exactly the case for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1179 on: April 23, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't use crazy amounts of wax just lean back into the slide more.

The advantage of the baseplate is maybe that it just facilitates the geometry. They have a more slack kingpin angle so that's why the front of the plate towards the middle is longer. If you extended the rear you'd have a massively long plate.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1180 on: April 23, 2023, 03:58:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't use crazy amounts of wax just lean back into the slide more.

The advantage of the baseplate is maybe that it just facilitates the geometry. They have a more slack kingpin angle so that's why the front of the plate towards the middle is longer. If you extended the rear you'd have a massively long plate.

Yeah I don’t find I need more wax either, just got to put more weight into it.

Yes, the thunder baseplate is nice because the mounting holes are offset equally on the top and bottom of plate making it symmetrical, and smaller. I appreciate the elegance of the design in that regard.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #1181 on: April 23, 2023, 06:36:16 PM »

Tom Asta truck madness

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1182 on: April 23, 2023, 08:00:29 PM »

Tom Asta truck madness

Haha yes. I came here to post this.

I do the same thing with putting old bushings into new trucks in the same orientation and I screw the nuts on the kingpin flat side facing in.

mamba

• Rep: 152
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1183 on: April 23, 2023, 08:26:40 PM »
I'm back on Thunders after a few years on Ace AF-1. I liked em but my flip tricks got worse on Ace. I don't really skate bowls but the turning and carving were great. I didn't really see the benefits of Ace really working for the type of skating I'm doing now, so I decided to get back on Thunders. I had the best flat when I skated them and now that I'm older I think the quicker pop will be better for me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1184 on: April 23, 2023, 09:18:54 PM »
I'm back on Thunders after a few years on Ace AF-1. I liked em but my flip tricks got worse on Ace. I don't really skate bowls but the turning and carving were great. I didn't really see the benefits of Ace really working for the type of skating I'm doing now, so I decided to get back on Thunders. I had the best flat when I skated them and now that I'm older I think the quicker pop will be better for me.

I feel very similarly. I don’t tend to stick to one setup for long, had some pretty insane madness over the last 10 years and own a lot of trucks. Af1s are fun. If I’m just chasing a toddler around, or they want to ride more board, it’s a good one to grab.
But if I’m trying to hang onto my 5 ish flip tricks, probably gonna be on thunders (and 5.2 lo ventures).
The ease of pop is so nice.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: April 23, 2023, 11:16:14 PM »
I am fairly certain I already know the answer to this, but want to confirm with hardcore Thunder nerds. Assume the two following trucks:

-148 Lights / forged / 51mm
-149 Team Hollows / cast / 52mm

Are these hangers/baseplates interchangeable? Which is to say that you could also turn the 148 into a 52mm “team/cast” truck, and the 149 into a 51mm “forged” truck?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1186 on: April 24, 2023, 12:07:45 AM »
I am fairly certain I already know the answer to this, but want to confirm with hardcore Thunder nerds. Assume the two following trucks:

Are these hangers/baseplates interchangeable? Which is to say that you could also turn the 148 into a 52mm “team/cast” truck, and the 149 into a 51mm “forged” truck?
Confirmed ~ Thunder Hangers/Baseplates are all interchangeable, regardless of hanger size

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1187 on: April 24, 2023, 06:50:59 AM »

Yes I've changed em they are fine. Only weird hangers are 147 and below and I thiiiink 161s

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1188 on: April 24, 2023, 07:07:03 AM »

Are you back on 147 or 148 ?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1189 on: April 24, 2023, 08:13:02 AM »
Thank for the confirmation @Lebowski and @swellbowed

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #1190 on: April 24, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Tom Asta truck madness
[close]

Haha yes. I came here to post this.

I do the same thing with putting old bushings into new trucks in the same orientation and I screw the nuts on the kingpin flat side facing in.

Everyone here about to adjust their kingpin right now.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1191 on: April 24, 2023, 01:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel very similarly. I don’t tend to stick to one setup for long, had some pretty insane madness over the last 10 years and own a lot of trucks. Af1s are fun. If I’m just chasing a toddler around, or they want to ride more board, it’s a good one to grab.
But if I’m trying to hang onto my 5 ish flip tricks, probably gonna be on thunders (and 5.2 lo ventures).

+1, but for me it's not really flip tricks that's a struggle, it's mostly grinds. I love my aces, but I seem to have a hard time locking in crooked grinds and to a lesser extent feebles. Whenever I get into a crooked grind that's the least bit long, I lock out and get into noseslide. I don't have that problem on Thunders, and I feel like while Aces are really fun to skate, I skate much more consistently on Thunders.

Bummer, since I just bought some Hollow AF1 55s and set them up for two sessions before hopping back on Thunders. Only thing with thunders is that I have a hard time getting them loose enough with the stock bushings, and I have no knowledge of bushings in general so I don't want to buy bushings that don't fit. I had some white bushings on an old set of team hollows (don't have them anymore...) and they felt better than the clear blue ones I have on my current standard 149s. My local shop just received some White 90a thunder bushings, might go buy them and see if they're any better.

Otherwise, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get them looser without fucking up the geometry? I know I could just remove the bottom/top washer, but bottom would mess up the geometry (idk if that's a big deal or not, but I don't want to mess anything up either) and removing the top washer would probably mess up the top bushing, I guess.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1192 on: April 24, 2023, 02:45:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1, but for me it's not really flip tricks that's a struggle, it's mostly grinds. I love my aces, but I seem to have a hard time locking in crooked grinds and to a lesser extent feebles. Whenever I get into a crooked grind that's the least bit long, I lock out and get into noseslide. I don't have that problem on Thunders, and I feel like while Aces are really fun to skate, I skate much more consistently on Thunders.

Bummer, since I just bought some Hollow AF1 55s and set them up for two sessions before hopping back on Thunders. Only thing with thunders is that I have a hard time getting them loose enough with the stock bushings, and I have no knowledge of bushings in general so I don't want to buy bushings that don't fit. I had some white bushings on an old set of team hollows (don't have them anymore...) and they felt better than the clear blue ones I have on my current standard 149s. My local shop just received some White 90a thunder bushings, might go buy them and see if they're any better.

Otherwise, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get them looser without fucking up the geometry? I know I could just remove the bottom/top washer, but bottom would mess up the geometry (idk if that's a big deal or not, but I don't want to mess anything up either) and removing the top washer would probably mess up the top bushing, I guess.

@Xen is the bushing dude. He’ll get you sorted out.

I do not fuck with bushings, I just rode what’s there. Bones (hards only imo) work in thunders.
I also liked the white bushings, most seem to hate.

I’ve bought a lot of shit, to realize I don’t like it. That’s cool too, in its own way

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1193 on: April 24, 2023, 03:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Removing a bottom washer will mess with the geometry slightly, but it's not much and it won't be a massive shift. If you have spare bushings you could try the spare tops but cut them down by 1-2mm and put the KP nut on just as much as before or whatever. This compresses the bushings less at center.

An alternative route is buying Bones softs for the bottom. Put the stock top washer on the bottom and Bones washer on top and leave the stock top at first. That should make the turn looser on center and deeper.

From there you get into the world of not-super-common bushing brands and combos.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #1194 on: April 24, 2023, 05:20:19 PM »
Yeah I’d try something conical with a flat washer….I can’t handle the wheelbite of thunder but lots of people skate them just fine.  I was a strong believer in you need to skate the exact height of bushing, but I’m softening on that stance…I think there will be something for you out there….

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #1195 on: April 24, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I too love the white Thunder bushings. However, before you go down the rabbit hole of bushing madness, have you waxed the pivot cups yet? It makes a world of difference in my opinion. Take a razor blade and shave an excessive amount in there. It worked wonders for me coming from Indy and I’ve been hooked on Thunder ever since. I do find that the bushings though they firm up initially tend to soften into a nice “bounce back to center “ after about a month of sessions for me at 1-2 sessions per week.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1196 on: April 24, 2023, 05:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I too love the white Thunder bushings. However, before you go down the rabbit hole of bushing madness, have you waxed the pivot cups yet? It makes a world of difference in my opinion. Take a razor blade and shave an excessive amount in there. It worked wonders for me coming from Indy and I’ve been hooked on Thunder ever since. I do find that the bushings though they firm up initially tend to soften into a nice “bounce back to center “ after about a month of sessions for me at 1-2 sessions per week.

Yeah, I always put a bit of wax shavings in my pivot cups and between the washers and bushings too, seems to make them turn smoother and also gets rid of the squeeking too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1197 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:10 PM »
I'd recommend silicon grease over wax

mamba

• Rep: 152
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1198 on: April 24, 2023, 07:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you back on 147 or 148 ?

I'm back on 149. I only skate 8.5 trucks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1199 on: April 24, 2023, 08:07:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@Xen is the bushing dude. He’ll get you sorted out.

I do not fuck with bushings, I just rode what’s there. Bones (hards only imo) work in thunders.
I also liked the white bushings, most seem to hate.

I’ve bought a lot of shit, to realize I don’t like it. That’s cool too, in its own way

If you like the stock bushings, shave down the top (like the Venture loose truck conversion kit, which you could also buy and just use the top).

Ace low tops also work great with any truck.

I found the stock whites to be much softer than the stock clears.

I'm riding the 94a ice blues and tighter than usual with + cast plates + 51mm wheels, just to prevent wheelbite aaaaand it's starting to happen more and more as they break in....I'm also using flat sleeved washers so YMMV.

I rode Ti/Forged indys w/ bones med bushings today and skated just fine, but felt the weight....back to royals...tho I might give the venture highs with bones a try...I didn't mind the height of the indys (or the slappys when riding them) as much as I thought I would.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:22:12 PM by Xen »