Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136757 times)

MetalAnkleMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 25, 2023, 07:28:14 AM »
Does anyone know how high the 148 hollow lights truck is? Tactics has it listed as 52.3mm but also has the 148 Team edition as 52.3mm. I thought with the forge base plate (hollow lights) its suppose to be lower, anyone got some insight? Tactics also has the Titanium 149 as 49mm high?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1201 on: April 25, 2023, 07:48:44 AM »
Does anyone know how high the 148 hollow lights truck is? Tactics has it listed as 52.3mm but also has the 148 Team edition as 52.3mm. I thought with the forge base plate (hollow lights) its suppose to be lower, anyone got some insight? Tactics also has the Titanium 149 as 49mm high?

As posted numerous times in this thread:

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

TEAM: 52mm
Forged: 51mm

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1202 on: April 25, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think people forget the search engine exists lol

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1203 on: April 25, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »
Thank you, I appreciate the help!!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1204 on: April 25, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i think people forget the search engine exists lol

Literally every thread over two pages...modern attention span..instant gratification without doing the work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: April 27, 2023, 08:02:58 PM »

Tom Asta truck madness

So I tried something similar on forged plates: ACE (regs) hard top as bottom with an ACE hard low top.

Wheel bite central...even with 2 threads showing...really mushy feeling (especially coming off the 94DU thunder blues).

The regs ACE top is quite a bit shorter than the thunder stocks bottom.

Might try a 96du indy top with the ACE top as bottom (or just go back to the 94 bottoms, with the 96 indy top).

Didn't someone run bones bottoms with 2 bones washer or someshit on here?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:12:37 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: April 28, 2023, 11:23:04 AM »
Said fuck it and threw in bones mediums with the flat bottom washer as my compressed stock bottom was the same height; last ditch effort before grabbing some 8" royals.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1207 on: April 28, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
Said fuck it and threw in bones mediums with the flat bottom washer as my compressed stock bottom was the same height; last ditch effort before grabbing some 8" royals.

8” trucks are the best

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1208 on: April 28, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
I like bones med, especially for the winter. Yesterday i put indy blue conical 92, bottoms are same height as thunder stock, the top is 1 mm higher.  On nut flush is perfect for me - stable but the conical shape helps a lot if i want a sharp turn. Before i tried the royal bushings, and although the  bottom is a barrel they were ok but the sharpness of turning was way less.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1209 on: April 29, 2023, 06:55:45 AM »

I might have missed it but what effect are you looking for out of these bushing swaps? I remember you saying you like loose trucks and these are all former bushings so is the idea to run them cranked less and have some swerve but not bottom out?

I don't normally fuck with bushings cuz I feel like I'd end up in a black hole of insanity but it is interesting. I finally tried blues in Indy Forged and was like "why didn't I always do this"

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: April 29, 2023, 12:13:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember you saying you like loose trucks and these are all former bushings so is the idea to run them cranked less and have some swerve but not bottom out?

Yes. But have been sucking it up and riding tighter since I was on Ventures and dropped down to 8.125" 14"WB/147s (only 8" I have).

I was riding the blue 92s barrels in my 144 royals and really enjoyed them...just less wheelbite overall and a bit more turn compared to thunders and same popfeel/weight.

The 94du thunders work fine but the turn is severely limited with them + my weight and cranking them...I can't get middle ground with them, it's either tight or wheel bite.

Bones Med for now until I bounce back to royals once the 8" ultras arrive (and saddling them with ACE bushing).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1211 on: April 29, 2023, 01:31:36 PM »
Makes sense. I tried Indy cast with blues today and was like "why did I never do this before". The turn doesn't feel that limited except near the bottom.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #1212 on: April 29, 2023, 06:57:34 PM »
I been focusing on my health lately and lost enough weight where I finally don’t die by wheelbite on Thunders anymore. Really enjoying Team Hollow 148s with 53 conical fulls, great balance that works on a few different decks I’ve tried lately.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1141
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1213 on: May 01, 2023, 01:57:29 PM »
I been focusing on my health lately and lost enough weight where I finally don’t die by wheelbite on Thunders anymore. Really enjoying Team Hollow 148s with 53 conical fulls, great balance that works on a few different decks I’ve tried lately.

Mods change this guys handle stat

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1214 on: May 01, 2023, 02:02:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+1 for exFatGuy92

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: May 01, 2023, 07:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1 for exFatGuy92

Haha didn't even think of that. I still need to drop some pounds though, still fat for the time being!

On a Thunder related note, I was thinking of trying the Real wood risers so I can ride bigger wheels. Anyone know if the universal ones fit Thunders (perfectly)? Or should I get the Thunder specific ones? My local only has the former and my it really really bothers me when risers don't match up perfect.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1216 on: May 01, 2023, 07:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1 for exFatGuy92
[close]

Haha didn't even think of that. I still need to drop some pounds though, still fat for the time being!

On a Thunder related note, I was thinking of trying the Real wood risers so I can ride bigger wheels. Anyone know if the universal ones fit Thunders (perfectly)? Or should I get the Thunder specific ones? My local only has the former and my it really really bothers me when risers don't match up perfect.

You’re gonna want the Thunder specific ones. The “Universal “ is an Indy.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #1217 on: May 01, 2023, 08:00:34 PM »
Agreed. The Thunder ones really fit Thunders perfectly. Universal fit Indy and Ace but not as well.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: May 01, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »
Thank you both! I’ll have to find a pair online then

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1219 on: May 04, 2023, 06:48:52 AM »
Do you guys notice a lot of difference between having Lights / Hollow Light / Team Hollow / Team / Titanium?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1220 on: May 04, 2023, 06:55:17 AM »
Do you guys notice a lot of difference between having Lights / Hollow Light / Team Hollow / Team / Titanium?
No difference between hollow lights and titanium lighs. The hollows really are light enough.
What makes a huge difference for me is putting hollow hangers on a regular team baseplate. It suddenly felt way too light for me, even tough it's heavier. Wheelbase magic. But that's just me, I like a heavy pop feel.
Team standards feel nice though, I guess they're heavy enough to compensate the shorter wheelbase for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1221 on: May 04, 2023, 07:39:45 AM »
I don't notice hollow axles aside from the sound. The hollow forged plates drop a lot of weight. Forged hollow Ti are insanely light. I had them on an 8.25 Quasi with 52 Classics and just picking up my board felt stupid light. Pop feel was really light too but in a hard way to describe. Not like how the short WB and mid-ish height of an AF1 pop fast since the tail hits quicker geometrically speaking. But more like once the board left the ground you get less of a "snap" up to your feet that you can feel.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: May 04, 2023, 08:03:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No difference between hollow lights and titanium lighs. The hollows really are light enough.
What makes a huge difference for me is putting hollow hangers on a regular team baseplate. It suddenly felt way too light for me, even tough it's heavier. Wheelbase magic. But that's just me, I like a heavy pop feel.
Team standards feel nice though, I guess they're heavy enough to compensate the shorter wheelbase for me.

+1 for no difference between hollow vs ti lights, especially at 147/148 - I can feel it with 149s and up, but even then, Hollow lights are soooo damn light, you'd be hard pressed to care (let alone spend the money). FWIW, outside of Tensor Mags, Thunder TI are the lightest you can get and the hollows are lighter than anyone else's hollows.

Ti Hangers on Team baseplates (solid or hollow) is the shit tho, best of everything.

ALL Hollow hangers feel/sound weird then add in thunder forged plates and you get a very tinny rattly sound board (currently riding hollow light 147s with 103a and it's very jarring and tinny/metallic sounding. Doesn't impact performance in anyway.

As an aside, that's one cool thing about the Royal hollows, they feel more like a solid truck (grinding) than an actual hollow.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1223 on: May 04, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »
pretty wild how Thunder has trucks ranging from $70 (team standards) to $120 (titanium) Maple Syrup dollars (CAD)

I was pretty set on having Cast baseplates but now I feel like maybe Forged wouldnt be that bad. I have rode them lots on Indys and I totally understand that Tinny feeling... not a huge fan of it tbh. but the 1mm lower is kinda cool (not sure id even notice it though)

I think I am narrowed down now to just Team, Light, and Team Hollow. I don't think I want Hollow Lite or Titanium (just way too expensive).

That Chris Athans Team edition with the Blue Cast Plate looks super sick and comes in a 148. My gut instinct is to go for this one.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1224 on: May 04, 2023, 09:44:26 AM »
You can't go wrong with Teams IMO. Really great truck. Forged variants are a cool experiment if you want a lower truck/smaller wheels but for me didn't move the needle a ton. Suciu skates them tho and on a fairly large board for their height.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #1225 on: May 04, 2023, 10:20:01 AM »
I always felt thunders were low and light enough on their own….I put in the Krux IKP on mine too…..so I liked the cast.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1226 on: May 04, 2023, 10:39:12 AM »
My experience with the forged plates on Thunder is they just feel too low for me. Especially in any park or transition style setting. I ended up adding risers ( which I’m not a fan of risers in general) which gave me a more comfortable ride height at 54mm from deck to axle which is still a tad higher than I’d like. For some reason the 1mm from forged to standard makes all the difference to me. A team Thunder 148 is 1.5mm lower than an Indy forged. A forged Thunder 148 is 2.5mm lower than a forged Indy.

* edit: I’m using a 1/8 riser which is around 3mm high.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1227 on: May 04, 2023, 11:36:16 AM »
Thunder team hollows are my favorite truck I’ve tried. 148 on an 8.25 works well for me.

I want to try the Ishod setup, with the 147’s on an 8.25 or 8.3 with some extra washers on the wheels. Just for the low height and my own curiosity.

How bad are the forged plates? I know they’re a bit lower, but are they really that bad?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1228 on: May 04, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »
He uses a riser to get the truck almost to what you have now.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1229 on: May 04, 2023, 12:36:41 PM »
Actually you are right, risers indeed.

I’m curious why he does this? Still makes me want to try it, with the two top bushings as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:16:09 PM by FGO925 »