Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136741 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1410 on: August 01, 2023, 01:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone using thunders for transition?
[close]

Mitchie Brusco rides Thunder 151s on Mega Ramp + Vert... so that tells me that Thunders are an excellent truck for Stability when it comes to transition skating. I am finding them a lot easier to do mini ramp / quarter pipe skating on personally. For someone who is not as strong on transition.

What you don't see typically is pool / "Park" contest skaters riding Thunders. I don't see any reason it couldn't work for that type of skating, but I feel like those type of skaters want a very surfy feel. most of them are Indy riders because they have the market kinda cornered on that type of skating, but I see Ace riders like Ronnie Sandoval who make the trucks look amazing in park.

Chris Miller, Rick McCrank, Jon Fitzgerald skates Thunders and they all rip transition
[close]
Zion and Ishod ride Thunders.
Not saying Ishod is strictly pool or park, but he can ride everything. Zion would be more the candidate I was thinking.

Chris Miller on Thunder is what made me interested in Thunder to start with. No regrets.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1411 on: August 01, 2023, 01:45:36 PM »
you can get more of a surfy feel by putting rounder edge wheels like classics on as well. the classic fulls would probably be ideal id think or a radial full even.

I gotta say one thing I have never noticed from wheels is how surfy they make a turn. How is that even possible?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1412 on: August 01, 2023, 02:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote
you can get more of a surfy feel by putting rounder edge wheels like classics on as well. the classic fulls would probably be ideal id think or a radial full even.
[close]

I gotta say one thing I have never noticed from wheels is how surfy they make a turn. How is that even possible?
The only way I can see this working is that the skinnier the riding surface, the later the wheel bites. Same diameter conical full will bite (a tiny amount) earlier than a classic. Radial full makes no sense though.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
« Reply #1413 on: August 01, 2023, 03:33:09 PM »
Bledsoe skates Burnside with Thunders as does Cody Lockwood.

lots of transition/vert dudes skate thunders like elliot sloan, PLG, jimmy wilkins, daniel vargas etc.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1414 on: August 01, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »
Zared ripped tensors for years....jussayin....

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1415 on: August 02, 2023, 07:21:05 AM »
I meant the slim Radials! Just something with a little more rounded corner on it though.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #1416 on: August 02, 2023, 07:44:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it definitely makes an impact. for example, turning with conicals feels more rigid and less free compared to if you rode classics. im guessing it has to do with the contact patch. the wider the contact patch, the lesser the degree of range of motion. the thinner the contact patch, the higher the degree of range of motion. i probably sound a dumbass with the way i’m explaining it. but for me, the choice of wheels definitely makes a difference in how the turn feels

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1417 on: August 02, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
Ya I guess it doesn't add up mentally to me. Even if there is more contact patch turning is from the truck compressing the bushings and rebounding. Barring wheelbite at the end from a shape being wider, the wheel doesn't impact that. It's like saying and F1 car should turn slower because it has wider tires when the steering and suspension make them incredibly reactive.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1418 on: August 02, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »
Ya I guess it doesn't add up mentally to me. Even if there is more contact patch turning is from the truck compressing the bushings and rebounding. Barring wheelbite at the end from a shape being wider, the wheel doesn't impact that. It's like saying and F1 car should turn slower because it has wider tires when the steering and suspension make them incredibly reactive.
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. Maybe it still feels that way for some other reason, but the turning has to be the same

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1419 on: August 02, 2023, 05:33:36 PM »
I think it’s more like saying an F1 car has very rigid and precise turning *because* of its wide, blocky tires. Thinner tires with a rounder profile, like a normal car, are more floppy and flowy, throwing the weight of the car around a bit more. Obviously suspension plays a part there, but there’s a reason race tires are shaped like that.

All he’s getting at is the square edge and extra width of the fuller-shaped wheels gives you a little more leverage and stability vs. a classic shaped wheel, which effectively makes your trucks narrower due to the outer edge of the riding surfaces being slightly closer to center. Classic-type shapes feel more tippy to me as well. Easier to roll them over onto the shoulder, giving you a little more lean/swerve/movement than a comparable Conical or OG-type shape.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1420 on: August 02, 2023, 08:13:49 PM »
That's because the sidewall of a normal tire flexes due to its height, not necessarily its shape. Normal cars also have much softer suspension. The only skateboard parts that are flexible are the bushings and deck, the wheels do not deform and transfer load as a result. It defies physics to say that the wheel shape influences turning other than wheelbite or confidence.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1421 on: August 02, 2023, 08:38:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Mitchie Brusco rides Thunder 151s on Mega Ramp + Vert... so that tells me that Thunders are an excellent truck for Stability when it comes to transition skating. I am finding them a lot easier to do mini ramp / quarter pipe skating on personally. For someone who is not as strong on transition.

What you don't see typically is pool / "Park" contest skaters riding Thunders. I don't see any reason it couldn't work for that type of skating, but I feel like those type of skaters want a very surfy feel. most of them are Indy riders because they have the market kinda cornered on that type of skating, but I see Ace riders like Ronnie Sandoval who make the trucks look amazing in park.

Chris Miller, Rick McCrank, Jon Fitzgerald skates Thunders and they all rip transition
[close]
Not saying Ishod is strictly pool or park, but he can ride everything. Zion would be more the candidate I was thinking.

I think the clearance has a lot to do with Thunder not being especially prevalent with transition skaters. If you’re riding bigger wheels it can still be an issue.

Dou_02

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1422 on: August 02, 2023, 08:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder std148 on real 1/8 risers (thunder version)

Im honestly very surprised on how well thunder standards feel on wooden risers compared to indy hollow 144 stds.
 I need a 55mm height truck but have never ran thunders with risers even tho they were my first trucks 10 years ago

They turn 90% as well as indys but actually give me much needed precision on a lot of grinds and manuals. I also prefer the way normal trucks sound compared to hollow ones, and the thunders weigh pretty much the same as the hollow indy 144 stds.

This is the first time that thunder bushings haven’t cracked  on me and i’m 6’1 165 ( granted I was pushing 240 at one point)

I’m glad that I don’t have to do any frakensteining on the thunder bushings and can ride them with the nut flush
Before+ After 1 week
Previous 144 shown (rear 1.5 thread, front 1)
L)
[close]
good stuff. this is always the goal, riding trucks stock bushings, nut flush and finding that nice feel. hso you weighed 165 the whole time on em? Always been curious about thunders with risers, as I weigh more (205 ish)  and the wheelbite thing was real with them. What size wheels?
I have been 165-170 the whole time and I ride 54mm spitfire radials

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #1423 on: August 02, 2023, 09:08:37 PM »
That's because the sidewall of a normal tire flexes due to its height, not necessarily its shape. Normal cars also have much softer suspension. The only skateboard parts that are flexible are the bushings and deck, the wheels do not deform and transfer load as a result. It defies physics to say that the wheel shape influences turning other than wheelbite or confidence.

It seems to me wheel width or more accurately contact patch width will impact how a truck turns. It's the law or moments. The further away from the kingpin the outside edge of the contact patch sits, the more leverage you have. This will also provide a tighter or longer arc depending where it sits.

Really hanger width and wheel width are more relevant than axle width when considering how a truck will turn. It is noticeable if you put on a set of super juice style wide cruisers and then compare the turn with a regular classic style wheel.

You can also factor in how much leverage you'll get from deck width also.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #1424 on: August 02, 2023, 09:12:11 PM »
depending on the durometer/shape wheels can certainly deform.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1425 on: August 02, 2023, 09:16:22 PM »
Certainly. But the law of moments still applies. And if you have everything else the same. Same hanger width, same deck width and same durometer wheel it’s pretty easy to feel the difference a  contact patch width can make on a turn.

probably also worth noting than wheel size in height (like a riser) will destabilize a truck, as it gets bigger.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1426 on: August 02, 2023, 09:34:10 PM »
I don't see how the law of moments applies unless you're about to break into a slide. Wheel width doesn't impact how the turn initiates unless your trucks are so tight the deck rolls over to the side of the wheel. Wheel weight is so close that the opposing side isn't anchoring you.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1427 on: August 02, 2023, 09:36:29 PM »
Your deck width and the outer edge of your wheel contact patch are what you are using to create leverage.

The further the outside wheel contact edge is  from the kingpin  the wider the turning arc will be.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:44:07 PM by Frank and Fred »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1428 on: August 02, 2023, 10:08:58 PM »
The center of the wheel is the same distance from the center of the deck all else equal regardless of wheel shape.

The arc would be measured to the center of the wheel not the outside or inside for the very reason you mentioned.

Otherwise you could put on a 50mm wide wheel and a 15mm wide wheel and do the same turn without wheelbiting but the radius of the turn isn't going to be wider. The radius is determined by the truck width, how hard you lean, and the deck dimensions. Sure, the contact patch will be wider as will the edges, but the board isn't making bigger turns.

Back to trucks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1429 on: August 03, 2023, 03:56:50 AM »

A better way for me to describe it is like, Thunders already feel really stable to me, so I can use a tippier wheel. i am less scared to use classics on these trucks.

vs. on Aces, I would rather use a fat wheel, because those trucks already feel really turny out the gate. I need a fat wheel to calm it down and make it feel more stable. they already turn good enough so i dont need to go up on the corners of the wheels as badly either.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1430 on: August 03, 2023, 03:59:20 AM »
I think it’s more like saying an F1 car has very rigid and precise turning *because* of its wide, blocky tires. Thinner tires with a rounder profile, like a normal car, are more floppy and flowy, throwing the weight of the car around a bit more. Obviously suspension plays a part there, but there’s a reason race tires are shaped like that.

All he’s getting at is the square edge and extra width of the fuller-shaped wheels gives you a little more leverage and stability vs. a classic shaped wheel, which effectively makes your trucks narrower due to the outer edge of the riding surfaces being slightly closer to center. Classic-type shapes feel more tippy to me as well. Easier to roll them over onto the shoulder, giving you a little more lean/swerve/movement than a comparable Conical or OG-type shape.

yes!!! exactly

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1431 on: August 03, 2023, 04:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Chris Miller on Thunder is what made me interested in Thunder to start with. No regrets.
Jimmy Wilkins skates them. End of this discussion.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1432 on: August 03, 2023, 06:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A better way for me to describe it is like, Thunders already feel really stable to me, so I can use a tippier wheel. i am less scared to use classics on these trucks.

vs. on Aces, I would rather use a fat wheel, because those trucks already feel really turny out the gate. I need a fat wheel to calm it down and make it feel more stable. they already turn good enough so i dont need to go up on the corners of the wheels as badly either.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I've noticed a difference in turn with the same set up with different width wheels. Try it. I'm not sure you can compare the way a car turns with how a skateboard turn is initiated.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1433 on: August 03, 2023, 08:05:05 AM »
Which wheel diameter leads to the best turning?
Stop making up new physics.

I'm actually gonna try it out tomorrow btw. Bones V3 vs fat worn down 57mm radials.

Edit: Just asked my mechanical engineer friend that skates and it 100% can not change the turning other than the wheelbite limit already discussed. Unless you are coconut wheeling of course.

I'm still interested in how it changes the feeling though
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:21:11 AM by goodatmeth »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1434 on: August 03, 2023, 08:40:33 AM »
Yah I have a friend that is an engineer on an endurance Motorsports team and his response was "that is absolutely ridiculous"

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1435 on: August 03, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
I'm not an engineer and don't care for cars. I do know that a wider contact patch can make a truck feel very different. Maybe subjective. Try it. Or not.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1436 on: August 03, 2023, 08:55:21 AM »
Which wheel diameter leads to the best turning?
Stop making up new physics.

I'm actually gonna try it out tomorrow btw. Bones V3 vs fat worn down 57mm radials.

Edit: Just asked my mechanical engineer friend that skates and it 100% can not change the turning other than the wheelbite limit already discussed. Unless you are coconut wheeling of course.

I'm still interested in how it changes the feeling though

A higher skateboard will turn differently. It's not hard to feel the difference  in this. Diameter of your wheel will impact how stable a truck feels. One of the reasons, along with quicker pop, we all went down to sub 50mm wheels at one point.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1437 on: August 03, 2023, 08:58:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Jimmy Wilkins skates them. End of this discussion.

Close case, gonna ditch my aces and try thunders, review not so soon
:p

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: August 03, 2023, 09:28:19 AM »

Perhaps it is related to "Scrub Radius." I 'm not qualified to explain it properly but apparently, wheel diameter and contact patch can impact "Scrub Radius" and make a turn feel different.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1439 on: August 03, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »
Yah I have a friend that is an engineer on an endurance Motorsports team and his response was "that is absolutely ridiculous"

I think you’re overthinking this getting into physics and numbers and engineer buddies. It’s just a change in how it makes the turn feel; stable and precise vs. tippy and organic. They wouldn’t sell different wheel shapes if they all resulted in the same exact turn.