Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136687 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1710 on: November 28, 2023, 10:10:24 AM »
Really hope Thunder doesn’t change, especially not to become more like an Indy (higher, longer baseplate for “better” slides both of which would probably increase weight). They’re perfect at what they do- being a lower-mid height snappy and light truck that feels good for technical skating. I especially don’t want an IKP, which seem to be unreliable and sucky most of the time truck brands try them. People have been doing smiths and feebles just fine for decades on regular old broken in kingpins, we don’t need ‘em.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #1711 on: November 28, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
A higher turnier Thunder has me drooling a little.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1712 on: November 28, 2023, 11:46:43 AM »
Really hope Thunder doesn’t change, especially not to become more like an Indy (higher, longer baseplate for “better” slides both of which would probably increase weight). They’re perfect at what they do- being a lower-mid height snappy and light truck that feels good for technical skating. I especially don’t want an IKP, which seem to be unreliable and sucky most of the time truck brands try them. People have been doing smiths and feebles just fine for decades on regular old broken in kingpins, we don’t need ‘em.

That's my fear; I brought it up in a different thread (?) all 'indy'-like trucks are heavy: ACE/Indy/Slappy - whereas Thunder/Venture/Royal are much, much lighter.

pops

• Rep: 244
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1713 on: November 28, 2023, 12:11:15 PM »

Wouldn't risers fix the height, tho? And give a bit more turning radius.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1714 on: November 28, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They do, yes. I always use 1/8" risers on Thunders. But they could be even better with slightly modified geometry.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1715 on: November 28, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »

mamba

• Rep: 150
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1716 on: November 28, 2023, 03:12:22 PM »
Thunders are great as is. No need to change them tbh. Anyone complaining about the baseplate thing just needs to change their technique.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1717 on: November 28, 2023, 03:49:02 PM »
Thunders are great as is. No need to change them tbh. Anyone complaining about the baseplate thing just needs to change their technique.

Yes, I agree.

Also why I think they moved away from the two different heights - when they did have low and hi a while back, just to have the one main truck in cast or forged, but as I ride wider boards, wider trucks from Thunder always work well enough for me too, without feeling like something should be fixed with them.  I do put 2mm rubber risers under them with my usual wheels, just to feel more comfortable for me, but I can also see how people enjoy the height and weight as is, no changes, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1718 on: November 28, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Found this photo in Thrasher. Looks like the next Thunder is going to be awesome. The baseplate is drilled back for better nose/tail slides. Inverted king pin that’s set at very subtle angle that should make em feel real swervetastic. Can’t wait to see more.

[close]
Looks like a Thunder hangar on Independent inverted kingpin baseplates.
Yeah that geometry is super off. Extreme chance of hang up. Sure looks like an indy baseplate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1719 on: November 28, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Found this photo in Thrasher. Looks like the next Thunder is going to be awesome. The baseplate is drilled back for better nose/tail slides. Inverted king pin that’s set at very subtle angle that should make em feel real swervetastic. Can’t wait to see more.
[close]
Looks like a Thunder hangar on Independent inverted kingpin baseplates.
[close]
Yeah that geometry is super off. Extreme chance of hang up. Sure looks like an indy baseplate

The baseplate on extreme zoom looks like it has THU... so it is Thunder, but as to anything else, I guess we will just wait and see.

Definitely different bolt hole pattern, closer to the inside, which would then push the wheelbase out more, unless the hanger was a bit more pulled in towards the middle too, which could happen if it was taller.

So many curious things hey?!?!?

Also still waiting for anyone to say whose board it was, or even which Thrasher mag or ad or whatever it was in?

Anyone?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1720 on: November 28, 2023, 04:44:31 PM »
The height I heard was a rumor and 53, which is still not tall. Baseplate extension will add weight but not a ton- Thunders save most of the weight in the hanger by not having a barrel or truss like Indy and Venture. I'm not sure it will mitigate wheelbite much, which isn't a problem for me but some here feel it is. IKP I don't care about but maybe slightly more clearance certainly wouldn't hurt. They all sound like positive changes and supposedly skate really well.

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1721 on: November 28, 2023, 04:54:10 PM »
The baseplate on extreme zoom looks like it has THU... so it is Thunder, but as to anything else, I guess we will just wait and see.

It's not THU. It's TRU.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1722 on: November 28, 2023, 05:25:53 PM »
Whose board is it? They look like Independents to me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1723 on: November 28, 2023, 05:32:53 PM »
It has a bolt and washer that is thinner and more angular than Indy. Those are definitely the T2 and look similar to pics I have seen prior. You can tell it's not an Indy plate because the area near the pivot cup is curved much like the old Thunder plates whereas Indy are squared off.

Judging by the stickers and deck that looks like Gerwer's board.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:01:17 PM by LebowskisRug »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1724 on: November 28, 2023, 06:14:43 PM »
Hey Deluxe dudes,  how about some samples of the new Thunders for the Slap Pals to review proper?

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1725 on: November 28, 2023, 06:16:13 PM »
There was a screengrab of Ben Degros, posted a while ago on here, with the new thunders, it was a much better photo if I am remembering it right

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1726 on: November 28, 2023, 10:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's not THU. It's TRU.

The photo above with the mystery Thunders do not have
the oval outline for "TRUCK CO" so it's even less likely those are Indy plates
Super Champion Fun Zone

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #1727 on: November 28, 2023, 10:35:19 PM »
It has a bolt and washer that is thinner and more angular than Indy. Those are definitely the T2 and look similar to pics I have seen prior. You can tell it's not an Indy plate because the area near the pivot cup is curved much like the old Thunder plates whereas Indy are squared off.

Judging by the stickers and deck that looks like Gerwer's board.

plus the Indy plate text is debossed, whereas Thunder baseplates are embossed like in the photo.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1728 on: November 29, 2023, 04:20:14 AM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1729 on: November 29, 2023, 04:46:05 AM »
Whose board is it? They look like Independents to me.
They look like Aces to me lol
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 244
« Reply #1730 on: November 29, 2023, 05:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They do, yes. I always use 1/8" risers on Thunders. But they could be even better with slightly modified geometry.

Yeah, maybe. I dont actually remember how thunders feel since it's been at least 10 years I rode them. I'm definitely interested in getting them. I wonder how would they work in a cruiser setup since I've been on Aces for couple years.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1731 on: November 29, 2023, 06:39:31 AM »

Thanks!

Everyone knows that nose!

Mr Frank Gerwer it is.

I had taken comparison pics of the team Thunder beside an Indy baseplate before to upload, but thought it wasn't needed - someone sooner or later would set everyone straight re Thunder trucks, but as said the T2 are different in a few ways.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1732 on: November 29, 2023, 09:18:33 AM »
Anyone know if the T2 and current thunder hangers/plates will be interchangeable? Then I wish they're just gonna sell the baseplates as well. Got way too many hangers I need to go through

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1733 on: November 29, 2023, 10:00:28 AM »
No one really "knows" anything about them yet it is just a few spy pics and second hand info from people that know DLX folks that have been riding/testing them. It sounds as if the geo is different and the hanger looks noticeably different.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1734 on: November 29, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »

I found the pic of Ben Defeos witht he new thunders.
The photo was originally posted by @Vintagebody
And the thread is here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113108.60

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1735 on: November 29, 2023, 10:33:04 AM »
Those are not the new Thunders the baseplate is a giveaway.

DERBY

• Rep: 261
« Reply #1736 on: November 29, 2023, 12:24:55 PM »
Hey Deluxe dudes,  how about some samples of the new Thunders for the Slap Pals to review proper?

yes please deluxe send some over

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1737 on: November 29, 2023, 01:10:32 PM »
Yes DLX send some samples of your in-testing stage product to a bunch of chatty, fussy, opinionated guys with untested talent on a board who love to complain. No really, DLX, send us some.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:45:44 PM by camel filters »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1738 on: November 29, 2023, 04:29:38 PM »
Yes DLX send some samples of your in-testing stage product to a bunch of chatty, fussy, opinionated guys with untested talent on a board who love to complain. No really, DLX, send us some.

Haha. Jim T sent me some 151s to sample when they first came out. Took those trucks down to axle and beyond and they are now on display.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1739 on: November 30, 2023, 08:47:01 AM »
I am happy with the current version of Thunders as well. Are pros unhappy with them or something?
I hope they don't try to make them more like Indys... the baseplate drag has not been an issue for me at all. I like the way they sit in grinds more than anything else. Then maybe I will have to switch back to Ventures it will be close enough / more what I want anyway.