Author Topic: Axle washers?  (Read 2660 times)

Ziad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
Axle washers?
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:18:35 PM »
What are they supposed to do?

I recently started putting 4 above each wheel so the axle nut would be perfectly aligned with the truck axle's end covering the threads without the wheel being too loose they just fill space and allow the nut to be way out without the wheel being super wobbly.

I started do so to protect the axle threading cause whenever I removed the wheels I couldn't place the nut on the axle again because the threading gets fucked overtime and having the axle nut till the end of the axle protects it.

Is that their purpose? Any other uses? just curious cause a lot of kids don't care if they're there or not

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Re: Axle washers?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
Hangers aren't always finished properly or smoothly. Washers prevent your bearings rubbing against the hanger and axle nut. On Ace trucks you only need them against the axle nut as the Hangers are conical so you have proper contact with the bearing races.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
Have you seen the truck thread? for those types.....

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
just a hunch but I think stacking axle washers to push your wheels out is not good. it seems to fuck with the bearing spin. better to get a different size truck.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
axle washers dont do shit, their worthless as bearing shields and spacers and other useless shit.  and stacking washers is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
axle washers dont do shit, their worthless as bearing shields and spacers and other useless shit.  and stacking washers is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Rad dude. You certainly got him!!

In other news, it's fine to stack washers. Plenty of pros do it. I stack 3 on the inside, one on the outside, with Spitfires (internal bearing spacing changes slightly from wheel company to wheel company), and have just enough wiggle in my wheels with the nut just a tad under flush with the end of the axle. You are right, OP, it helps from gumming up the threads in the long run! Easy to replace banged up axle nuts, harder to repair threading...
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rad dude. You certainly got him!!

In other news, it's fine to stack washers. Plenty of pros do it. I stack 3 on the inside, one on the outside, with Spitfires (internal bearing spacing changes slightly from wheel company to wheel company), and have just enough wiggle in my wheels with the nut just a tad under flush with the end of the axle. You are right, OP, it helps from gumming up the threads in the long run! Easy to replace banged up axle nuts, harder to repair threading...
I don't know whether stacking washers is okay or not, but "Plenty of pros do it." is an awful reason to think it's not harmful. Pros are far less worried about breaking products than your average person, plenty of pros pop their shields too but that's plenty harmful.
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
Hell yeah stacking washers is a good idea. As you said it protects the axle threads and also prevents the nuts from falling off as a consequence of the wheels rolling.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »
Hell yeah stacking washers is a good idea. As you said it protects the axle threads and also prevents the nuts from falling off as a consequence of the wheels rolling.

how does it keep nuts from falling off you have less thread bcuz of the washers

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
They properly seat bearings. Both sides should be lubed with thick bearing or marine grease. Inner race washers prevent the shield from rubbing against the nut or axle. Aluminum is soft, so without an inner bearing, the inner race will dig into the hanger until it won't move freely.

It would seem better to stack washers on the outside. That said, I don't think three on the inside will hurt anything. After one session, half of one will already have dug inside the hanger.

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:32 PM »
I only stack moms amirite

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
It would seem better to stack washers on the outside. That said, I don't think three on the inside will hurt anything. After one session, half of one will already have dug inside the hanger.

On my Independent Forged Hollow, I have 2 on the inside because the sides of the hanger have some "spikes" that goes beyond 1 washer and dig into the bearing. Maybe I could have sanded them with some leftover grip tape though.
Overall I find that the finish of Indys is not great, you have to tweak a lot of things to get the best of them, like changing the mediocre stock bushings, waxing/changing to shitty pivot cups, etc... In comparison, I find that Thunders are well built in every detail.