Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 45390 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #630 on: December 26, 2023, 06:55:18 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1KbfDUu0AA/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Cali school map coming out, happy to see real spots make a comeback

Oh fuck yeah idk how I missed this post. Teaser spots look great.  Wish they could improve the impact animations tho for something like grinding a huge handrail, basically roll away from them the same as a curb

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #631 on: December 31, 2023, 03:56:45 AM »
Thinking about getting session or skater xl for xbox one. Is one significantly better or are they very similar?

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #632 on: December 31, 2023, 05:55:34 AM »
Thinking about getting session or skater xl for xbox one. Is one significantly better or are they very similar?

The best answer is to get both.

Both games are similar in that they are simulation/realism driven. They're both different in their approach to that simulation. To ollie in SXL you hold down then release the right analog stick. To ollie in Session you need to do the same but also to flick your left analog stick up, similar to your feet IRL. Grinds have different inputs, so depending on how your brain works, one control scheme may be more intuitive to you. I generally prefer the inputs of Session over SXL. 

SkaterXL is the more popular but it requires mods to get working well. Session is the better experience out of the box and 100% the better option for consoles due to the lack of mods on console. Session has a campaign (SXL does not), adjustable gameplay settings (SXL not without mods). SXL has more maps when modded. Not sure on map count/area between the two.

Session gets routine updates, paid DLC maps & DIY gear. But the core gameplay has largely been unchanged for a while now and the game desperately needs an animator as the movements look a bit janky/forced. SXL has a much quieter dev team and very few updates to the game, mostly in the maps you can download in-game. They've released some decent maps but nothing to write home about.

I prefer Session overall but I also don't have mods on SkaterXL, despite owning it on PC.

FWIW on Steam I've got 230 hours in Session and 65 in SXL. Your mileage will vary.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 66
« Reply #633 on: December 31, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The best answer is to get both.

Both games are similar in that they are simulation/realism driven. They're both different in their approach to that simulation. To ollie in SXL you hold down then release the right analog stick. To ollie in Session you need to do the same but also to flick your left analog stick up, similar to your feet IRL. Grinds have different inputs, so depending on how your brain works, one control scheme may be more intuitive to you. I generally prefer the inputs of Session over SXL. 

SkaterXL is the more popular but it requires mods to get working well. Session is the better experience out of the box and 100% the better option for consoles due to the lack of mods on console. Session has a campaign (SXL does not), adjustable gameplay settings (SXL not without mods). SXL has more maps when modded. Not sure on map count/area between the two.

Session gets routine updates, paid DLC maps & DIY gear. But the core gameplay has largely been unchanged for a while now and the game desperately needs an animator as the movements look a bit janky/forced. SXL has a much quieter dev team and very few updates to the game, mostly in the maps you can download in-game. They've released some decent maps but nothing to write home about.

I prefer Session overall but I also don't have mods on SkaterXL, despite owning it on PC.

FWIW on Steam I've got 230 hours in Session and 65 in SXL. Your mileage will vary.

Great answer and I wholly back what OP said here.

Skater XL is more tech demo-esque , and it’s much easier to get into in terms of nailing and styling out tricks in different ways.

Session is much much deeper and (even with mannual catch off) demands a lot more of you to get similar, but often better / more rewarding results.

Left foot -L stick
Right foot - R stick

For session is to me the best way to play. Even after 100 hrs I fuck up grinds more often than not. I think it offers more than skater XL, is much more “skate sim” in its approach. XL is like the more arcade version of similar mechanics.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 01:32:11 PM by Cheshire Cat »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #634 on: January 11, 2024, 03:43:44 AM »
I bought Session the second it came out in pre alpha or whatever. I just never could get into it.  Had modded Skater XL for years and loved it. after one of the updates sometime last year all mods stopped working and I just couldnt bring myself to reinstall everything so I just tried Session again.

Granted, its now much better but I sunk way too many hours into it, and the game still feels stiff, clunky and just not enjoyable. It just feels like the engine limits the game a lot and no matter how much the devs smooth out the animations, the game just feels dead to me. I probably tried every possible stat combination, just doesnt work for me.

I just watched some Skater XL mods Guide 2024 from Milky and I think that I will get back into that game again after 6-7 months of Session. Give some 2 hours or something to tinker with all the settings and Im happy again. I just hope Session will go to other engine. It just doesnt feel as fluid as skating should, just a trick simulation.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #635 on: January 11, 2024, 05:31:07 AM »
Quick edit from last month

WPG

« Reply #636 on: January 11, 2024, 10:58:08 AM »
If you have PlayStation Plus the game is free after Jan. 16th for PS4 and PS5
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2024, 01:13:18 PM »
Anyone know all the spots in the new "school" map?
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2024, 02:03:31 PM »
god damn the school map is looking good. Feel like I'll actually spend a shit ton of time on this redoing every trick and line from skate vids unlike the other DLC maps that got old in a couple days

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C20RZnTpY19/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

In the comments Session says they'll be posting a blog post about the next future plans with Session. It was in response to someone complaining about gameplay updates so hopefully they'll have some good news in that

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #639 on: February 03, 2024, 02:31:04 PM »
Anyone know all the spots in the new "school" map?

- El Toro
- Hollywood High
- Carlsbad
- Leap Of Faith
- Sylmar
- La High

There are a few other very recognised school spots that I'm forgetting. This'll be the first DLC map I buy and I'm so glad it's a collection of real world spots.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #640 on: February 05, 2024, 10:39:34 AM »
I just got this game.

I'm not feeling it. I cant see at night and keep hitting shit.
My controllers are so nice and old that every time I go to pop an Ollie I get a flip.

Doing a manual is a bitch too. I'm going real skatebloarding. 180s a bitch too. I gotta pop then spin I can never remember that.

It's bummer too because these maps are incredible. I wish NY was really that spot busy.

I fuckin quit life and go homeless again rn if it was that way.

Also who the fuck told ribs man don't worry no one's going to kook irl for bringing a flat bar to the banks. Gd that's fuckin over kill.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2024, 11:15:53 AM »
HOW DO I POP OUT OF THIS RAIL!!!

Omg I wanna die
(A)pl(E)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #642 on: February 05, 2024, 11:25:16 AM »
I just got this game.

My controllers are so nice and old that every time I go to pop an Ollie I get a flip.

Doing a manual is a bitch too. I'm going real skatebloarding. 180s a bitch too. I gotta pop then spin I can never remember that.

It's bummer too because these maps are incredible. I wish NY was really that spot busy.

Also who the fuck told ribs man don't worry no one's going to kook irl for bringing a flat bar to the banks. Gd that's fuckin over kill.

lmao this is true as fuck.

Give it a couple hours to get the feel for the controls Unc it'll feel natural in a bit

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: February 05, 2024, 11:35:12 AM »
I just got this game.

Keep at it for a couple weeks and see if you have a bit of an "aha" moment. The game is clunky and has a steep learning curve for new players. I'm good now and can make the skating look smooth/stylish, but I've been playing since 2020 lol

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: February 05, 2024, 12:42:27 PM »
I switched my controls to left foot right foot now I had that moment
(A)pl(E)

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #645 on: February 06, 2024, 12:56:35 AM »
I switched my controls to left foot right foot now I had that moment

This is for sure the best way to play - or at least the way that makes the most sense and ultimately led to the controls “clicking” for me too.
Suddenly switch 3 flips aren’t that bad.

FWIW I also don’t sync flip + scoop, and have flip / scoop speed determined by how fast you input the directions.

Also to add : the gameplay settings are VAST and worth tinkering with. I have a “higher pop , lower grind friction” custom setting for cruising around but mostly play on default with one or two things tweaked (more push strength for example).

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: February 06, 2024, 12:28:41 PM »
T hi s video game is too sick. I might be addicted now. This is bad
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:30:28 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: February 06, 2024, 05:21:02 PM »
I'm having problems with reverts. I get stuck.

Anyone know why?
(A)pl(E)

FactoryMinimum

« Reply #648 on: February 07, 2024, 05:15:59 AM »

Anyone know why?

What settings you got on your reverts?

Mine are set to:
Revert on ground: enabled
revert on landing: disabled
Revert sensitivity: 3
Auto revert: disabled

This means I need to input a power slide and hold/tap the trigger to execute the revert. I can still revert on landing using the same input method.

With these settings they work well enough.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: February 07, 2024, 10:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Anyone know why?
[close]

What settings you got on your reverts?

Mine are set to:
Revert on ground: enabled
revert on landing: disabled
Revert sensitivity: 3
Auto revert: disabled

This means I need to input a power slide and hold/tap the trigger to execute the revert. I can still revert on landing using the same input method.

With these settings they work well enough.

I like having auto-revert and revert on landing disabled too. You can also adjust your wheel hardness/softness and powerslide friction, which might impact reverting a bit.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: February 08, 2024, 11:39:34 AM »

I just 5050d this. Why didn't it say Fred Gall Subzero history challenge?
That's happening a lot. Two of the cities are our shit but I'm talking to mad California people.

(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: February 08, 2024, 11:43:50 AM »
I wish this was online so we could play together.

Also why Magenta? How come not Traffic or Hopps? 5boro should definitely be a graphic.

I feel like if you don't have skate Rockaway with Lou it's less legit.
We knew Manny was going to make us v heels on to a rail as soon as he said my cousin Manny.

I wish I could buy graphics. Or import my own

I hope Kalis and Stevie are in here. Or perhaps young Danzig
(A)pl(E)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #652 on: February 08, 2024, 11:46:16 AM »

That's happening a lot. Two of the cities are our shit but I'm talking to mad California people.

They could have gone waaaaay deeper on the Historical Challenge stuff for sure. Kinda wish I could volunteer for them so I could add shit like this lol.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

« Reply #653 on: February 08, 2024, 11:58:36 AM »
I like to match my Session board set up to look like my real life board set up. Anyone else do this??

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2024, 12:45:33 PM »
I like to match my Session board set up to look like my real life board set up. Anyone else do this??

Nah I'm rocking a fat ass wide board with tiny wheels right now just for shits

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #655 on: February 08, 2024, 12:55:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah I'm rocking a fat ass wide board with tiny wheels right now just for shits

Lol same. I would mess with my setup more if it affected how it moves around for flip tricks but it doesn’t so I don’t bother. I might use bigger wheels if I’m trying to grind something and am struggling to lock in but other than that I only switch my setup when I want a board that isn’t scratched and wheels that aren’t brown

WPG

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:59:10 PM by WPG »
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: February 08, 2024, 03:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They could have gone waaaaay deeper on the Historical Challenge stuff for sure. Kinda wish I could volunteer for them so I could add shit like this lol.

Count me in too. I'm interested in reenactment more than anything else.

(A)pl(E)

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

« Reply #658 on: February 09, 2024, 01:09:42 PM »

IMO, Skater XL felt like a waste of money and I never played it after getting past the learning curve in Session. It's not even close. Skater XL is basically an unfinished demo.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #659 on: February 11, 2024, 06:58:29 PM »
I know it's not gonna be as fun as it seems, but i'm still stoked to get Lockwood.