Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 318311 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 64
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #2550 on: November 08, 2023, 06:15:31 AM »
Mike York this week

Excellent , always a fan of his weird style in Yeah Right. Will be giving a listen.

Edit: and his Hot Choc part /knee destruction. That time frame anyway, that was my main exposure to York.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2551 on: November 08, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »
what was the "worst company" that ripped of Roller Horror? Man i'm dumb

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
« Reply #2552 on: November 08, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »
Idk Ben Koppl has a bunch of "Roller Surfer" boards from Blast so that might be it.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2553 on: November 08, 2023, 03:20:26 PM »
If you wanna wow Cha Chocolate Pow
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #2554 on: November 08, 2023, 07:18:10 PM »
Have the interviews felt a bit shorter to yall this season? Was fully expecting a LONG one this week but I feel like did even get that many stories from Yorkatron. Great interview regardless, he's gotta be one of our most underrated treasures.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

heinzketchup

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2555 on: November 09, 2023, 03:26:15 AM »
what did he mean with the worst trend? banks?

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #2556 on: November 09, 2023, 08:35:24 AM »
York was a good listen. I appreciated his honesty on “Blueprint 2.0.” Extra shadiness there. And the dynamic at Girl/Chocolate of the haves and have-nots. Shoe money is a helluva drug.

His back 180 nosegrind at Pier 7 is one of the best skate photos of all time.

I’ve always liked Mike’s enthusiasm and positivity. He’s a great skater and it’d be cool if he gets a little more shine. He just seemed like he was having a good time skating.

This Season: The interviews do seem shorter, I agree. I dunno if the stories are less interesting or the format is aged, or what. Not much spiciness either with everybody “protecting their bag.”

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #2557 on: November 09, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »

I thought he was talking about bangs. Hair. He mentioned Tony Hawk, which made me think of the McSqueeb.. might give that a relisten to clarify.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2558 on: November 09, 2023, 09:18:49 AM »
The York interview was interesting in terms of his departure from Crail. Didn’t seem like he wanted to take much accountability on his end. I was trying to remember when he got kicked off. Thought it may have been a great financial crisis move but it was right before. Found this thread from 2006 with words from the man himself. Seems like at the time his star was definitely fading which had to do with age and a new crop coming in behind him. Then the injury didn’t help. And sounds like he was partying too. I think he’s right that almost 20 years later his influence is being recognized. But does that mean he should have been given a check for the last 20 years as an injured aging pro? But then again, how did Croberts weather the storm?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=3536.0
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Staniel

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2559 on: November 09, 2023, 09:35:06 AM »
York and Kalis have been my favorite guests this season. He said “bangs” but not ‘80s style, which means this era:

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2560 on: November 09, 2023, 09:39:11 AM »
They’ve had great guests this season so far like Kalis and Rowan, but idk what it is, it’s been kind of a snooze fest to be honest. The York interview was aight, the man is fried and is all over the place when answering questions.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #2561 on: November 09, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
from the old thread hahaha

the truth is Chocolate definitely could have gotten rid of some other people before giving him the axe.  :::Cough:::Cough:::Chris Roberts...Castillo...etc...etc...

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #2562 on: November 09, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »
The York interview was interesting in terms of his departure from Crail. Didn’t seem like he wanted to take much accountability on his end. I was trying to remember when he got kicked off. Thought it may have been a great financial crisis move but it was right before. Found this thread from 2006 with words from the man himself. Seems like at the time his star was definitely fading which had to do with age and a new crop coming in behind him. Then the injury didn’t help. And sounds like he was partying too. I think he’s right that almost 20 years later his influence is being recognized. But does that mean he should have been given a check for the last 20 years as an injured aging pro? But then again, how did Croberts weather the storm?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=3536.0

I’ve always just assumed some of these dudes are still on as an apology for the waste of decade between yeah right and fully flared if you weren’t on lakai for fully flared.

Makes sense with York and pretty much 3/4 of the original teams leaving within 2-3 or years of yeah right.

Ima have to check this episode out cause every time I’ve seen him out skating over the years he comes off as a mental patient. He wouldn’t land dork tricks and just start ranting to himself about Nike.  Wonder what happened with roller horror tho, was a 2 year period where you couldn’t go to any LA skatepark and not see a couple boards .

PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2563 on: November 09, 2023, 10:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought he was talking about bangs. Hair. He mentioned Tony Hawk, which made me think of the McSqueeb.. might give that a relisten to clarify.

Pretty sure he was talking about the bangs hairstyle trend about 10 years ago.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2564 on: November 09, 2023, 11:14:57 AM »
I remember Mike York being on Dekline and Pig wheels. Also grind king trucks and I know Girl was probably not down with those affiliations in that era. I'm sure that coupled with injuries, aging pro, becoming disconnected with Mike and a new crop of skaters that didn't know him.

I love Mike and his skating. His interviews lately(talking schmitt) mirrors this one with a little more info.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 83
« Reply #2565 on: November 09, 2023, 11:21:46 AM »
the man is fried and is all over the place when answering questions.

my overall impression of this episode

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2566 on: November 09, 2023, 11:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #2567 on: November 09, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »
They’ve had great guests this season so far like Kalis and Rowan, but idk what it is, it’s been kind of a snooze fest to be honest. The York interview was aight, the man is fried and is all over the place when answering questions.
there hasn’t been any straight up barn burners yet but it’s been pretty good i think. They don’t drag it out too long and actually talk about skating, not just industry shit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2568 on: November 09, 2023, 12:38:37 PM »
Its interesting that he described wanting to be a skate coach at a place designed to help kids learn how to level up their abilities. I guess he hasn't heard of Woodward? Or did I miss some key detail that actually makes that ramble make sense.

I have told this story before, but when we were 15 we took the train out to SF and went to Pier 7. It was pretty anxiety inducing with so many pros there and I accidentally snaked York while he was filming. Felt horrible. Dude threw my board off the Pier, later sorrrrta apologised, and Karl ended up giving me a new deck. Most of the pros that were around were at least tolerable to a point and understood that we were just kids trying to figure out how to not fuck up, but he was one of the people that was a low key jerk.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #2569 on: November 09, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »
That was the worst/bizarre“Eulogy”for Robbie McKinley.

I’ve genuinely liked York’s personality over the years but he was entirely too much in this interview.

The hour and a half interview that equates to three stories and an hour of adderall-esque rambling.

Has always seemed like a nice genuine dude through.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
« Reply #2570 on: November 09, 2023, 01:45:22 PM »
Expand Quote
the man is fried and is all over the place when answering questions.
[close]

my overall impression of this episode

Yep - that’s my general impression of some of the Bunt interviews with older skaters.  They’re often derailing the interview by giving rambling answers or discussing pieces of skate history that the hosts can’t relate to, and it gets a little awkward.  I tend to enjoy the Bunt more when it’s more about getting to know youngerish/newer dudes in the game, instead of providing a rambling platform for legends.   

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2571 on: November 09, 2023, 02:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

One play football while the other is into indie things you would not know like Arcade Fire and 500 days of Summer
check my music

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2572 on: November 09, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
Loved York’s episodes and his rants.

I feel like Cepha and D Jones weren’t really feeling it, cutting stories short and abruptly changing topics to speed the interview along, rather than participating in the conversation. But that could also be because they’re not that versed in 80’s and early 90’s skating, rather than a swipe on York.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #2573 on: November 09, 2023, 08:57:47 PM »

never knew he was on Stereo. this ad is so A++!

Stereo had such a killer aesthetic.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2574 on: November 09, 2023, 09:24:52 PM »

never knew he was on Stereo. this ad is so A++!

Stereo had such a killer aesthetic.
agreed, look at that board graphic too. looks exactly like what everyone is making these days, stereo was ahead of its time.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2575 on: November 10, 2023, 08:36:58 AM »
I’ve genuinely liked York’s personality over the years but he was entirely too much in this interview.
Heavy cringe factor at Yorkatron talking about Crail having the Adult Vs. Party tour vans with certain individuals getting bummed about Gino going into the Party van and York responding with "he's an adult."
---Yeah, he's an adult...who struggles with substance abuse, you fuckin 50 year old skateboard instructor.

Really makes me regret quoting "My bad I was skatin' in the skatepark, what was I thinkin!?" for the last 30 years.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #2576 on: November 10, 2023, 10:42:27 AM »
I have told this story before, but when we were 15 we took the train out to SF and went to Pier 7. It was pretty anxiety inducing with so many pros there and I accidentally snaked York while he was filming. Felt horrible. Dude threw my board off the Pier, later sorrrrta apologised, and Karl ended up giving me a new deck. Most of the pros that were around were at least tolerable to a point and understood that we were just kids trying to figure out how to not fuck up, but he was one of the people that was a low key jerk.

did you just out yourself as this dude?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2577 on: November 10, 2023, 11:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Heavy cringe factor at Yorkatron talking about Crail having the Adult Vs. Party tour vans with certain individuals getting bummed about Gino going into the Party van and York responding with "he's an adult."
---Yeah, he's an adult...who struggles with substance abuse, you fuckin 50 year old skateboard instructor.

Really makes me regret quoting "My bad I was skatin' in the skatepark, what was I thinkin!?" for the last 30 years.

yeah that was weird also it's like the point view of a 10 years old kind of. "sipping tea and talking about current events" lol
check my music

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #2578 on: November 11, 2023, 12:06:34 PM »
He comes off bitter at his departure from Chocolate in a few interviews. His time was over. It had been over for a bit. He’s just not one of those old pros that still  warrant having a board. Sounds harsh but it’s the case.

I met him a number of times in SF. Nice enough guy.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #2579 on: November 11, 2023, 12:17:43 PM »
you would think old heads would have the best episodes cause of the story telling but they're pretty consistently boring. younger dudes always have more banter and shit talking