Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 207535 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
Expand Quote
The heart supply has moved from ps sticks to dwindle
[close]

When were they PS? I remember seeing some prime ones and maybe some clutch but I would be interested in checking out a PS one

I thought they were ps, but honestly I’ve only ever seen their target boards irl. either way at it’s dwindle now

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I emailed Theories and this is what they said:

Expand Quote
We have had to use a variety of factory sources for all of our brands throughout the pandemic. Out of nowehere in April of 2020 we found out we couldn't get new BBS stock for 11 months. So it threw us into a loop trying to maintain stock for all of our brands. Currently the new Hopps and Theories seasons are BBS and they will continue to be on BBS wood through Spring and Summer of 2022. But the wood situation has been very volatile and tricky after BBS became unavailable completely for most of 2020 and into 2021. So we had to develop more diversity to protect the brands and make sure we would have a wood source no matter what happend. So there's a chance we may have to supplement our wood with another source  one season in the future for one or the other brand. But our goal is to maintain BBS as the wood source for Hopps and Theories in perpetuity.
Thanks for checking in and I hope that info helps.
[close]

So it sounds like it’s a lottery at the moment but stabilizing back to BBS

Thanks for that.

It definitely rings true that things went from "happy days" to "WTF" pretty quickly for a lot of places.

Also interesting people like to name BBS but don't want to name other woodshops, almost like the perceived notion of one is good and the other(s) not so good, depending on where their wood came from.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

When were they PS? I remember seeing some prime ones and maybe some clutch but I would be interested in checking out a PS one
[close]

I thought they were ps, but honestly I’ve only ever seen their target boards irl. either way at it’s dwindle now

Pretty sure they’ve been dwindle from the start because they had the impact technology decks

LebowskisRug

Expand Quote
Quasi latest batch will be BBS i wonder what happened?
[close]

Take it with a grain of salt, but word is that PS Stix is blowing it and can't keep up.  FA switched over because PS refused to do some holographic print so FA said fucked it and moved on. 

Personally, I've tried to measure multiple Quasi boards and none of them matched up with the length that I wanted.  Seems like they're just printing graphics on whatever standard shapes they have, which is bullshit for me, who's pretty picky about my board length.  So for the time being I would be careful ordering older graphics from Quasi online.  Go to your local and measure if care to.

Quasi measures fine for me. Their length is measured with the concave not straight across. I've had many of their decks and they're always identical for a given shape, however, they have a few different shapes at a given width. You can easily tell by the WB measurement which it is and the Proto is always its own shape.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure they’ve been dwindle from the start because they had the impact technology decks

They were definitely prime early on in the pandemic. I had one in my cart until I spotted the "U5" mark on one of the pics. I haven't really looked at one before or since so I can't say when they switched over though.

Someone should really sticky a thread about board measurement and why your quasi isn't actually short (cnc is usually pretty accurate) or your bbs isn't actually long, they're just measured differently.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
We have had to use a variety of factory sources for all of our brands throughout the pandemic. Out of nowehere in April of 2020 we found out we couldn't get new BBS stock for 11 months. So it threw us into a loop trying to maintain stock for all of our brands. Currently the new Hopps and Theories seasons are BBS and they will continue to be on BBS wood through Spring and Summer of 2022. But the wood situation has been very volatile and tricky after BBS became unavailable completely for most of 2020 and into 2021. So we had to develop more diversity to protect the brands and make sure we would have a wood source no matter what happend. So there's a chance we may have to supplement our wood with another source  one season in the future for one or the other brand. But our goal is to maintain BBS as the wood source for Hopps and Theories in perpetuity.
[close]

[close]

Thanks for that.

It definitely rings true that things went from "happy days" to "WTF" pretty quickly for a lot of places.

Also interesting people like to name BBS but don't want to name other woodshops, almost like the perceived notion of one is good and the other(s) not so good, depending on where their wood came from.

BBS is to wood what bones is to bearings. It's the one everyone knows, and they have a well earned reputation for quality. I think maybe he wasn't naming the others more because they've used a few and he didn't want to list them all though. I know last time I went and flipped the racks at radio there were theories brands on bbs, clutch, dwindle, and some other mystery wood that felt like PGI.

I admire the transparency though, and it's always nice to have more confirmation that it was in fact the issues we've been speculating about. I really don't think anyone is switching woodshops for any reason other than supply at the moment - it's slowly moving back towards "normal" but it's still very much get em wherever you can for the time being.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Someone should really sticky a thread about board measurement and why your quasi isn't actually short (cnc is usually pretty accurate) or your bbs isn't actually long, they're just measured differently.

I know it does come up from time to time, as if there should be a key to go with certain brands, or at least help with things, eg:

WC = measured with the concave
SA = measured straight across

That can have some significant differences like this:

PS Stix Quasi boards in 8.25 width are listed as 32.25 WC and 31.85 SA

BBS Real boards in 8.25 width are listed as 32 SA which would be 32.35 WC

Edit:

General consensus is the measurements should be straight across, as per most of the information about boards from almost all the major and other woodshops, brands and shops nowdays, which is why in some cases there is confusion over the actual lengths of boards, if they are measured differently.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:10:23 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for that.

[close]

BBS is to wood what bones is to bearings. It's the one everyone knows, and they have a well earned reputation for quality. I think maybe he wasn't naming the others more because they've used a few and he didn't want to list them all though. I know last time I went and flipped the racks at radio there were theories brands on bbs, clutch, dwindle, and some other mystery wood that felt like PGI.

I admire the transparency though, and it's always nice to have more confirmation that it was in fact the issues we've been speculating about. I really don't think anyone is switching woodshops for any reason other than supply at the moment - it's slowly moving back towards "normal" but it's still very much get em wherever you can for the time being.

Definitely!

I have had more than one message asking for brands to be removed from certain woodshop lists as it was hurting their business and I am very happy to help them and remove the brand and info.  It just goes to show that people do look at this list and often make decisions based on what woodshop a brand uses too, without even having tried the board of that woodshop too, in some cases.

Personal opinion is everything in places like this though.

I like one brand more than others.

Someone else might like a different brand and that is just how it goes.

joaqp

• Rep: 23
Did Quasi switch to BBS??

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Did Quasi switch to BBS??

I believe it has been building to that for a while, more info in the Quasi thread here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108613.0

Even going back a page on this thread, there is a pretty solid explanation why they are changing, but the first boards to change were the Dane boards, as per the one in your pic.  Then as per info from other posts and most recent one below, it seems like the new 2022 range will all be BBS, but that is just what people have said.

Expand Quote

[close]

Take it with a grain of salt, but word is that PS Stix is blowing it and can't keep up.  FA switched over because PS refused to do some holographic print so FA said fucked it and moved on. 

Personally, I've tried to measure multiple Quasi boards and none of them matched up with the length that I wanted.  Seems like they're just printing graphics on whatever standard shapes they have, which is bullshit for me, who's pretty picky about my board length.  So for the time being I would be careful ordering older graphics from Quasi online.  Go to your local and measure if care to.

LebowskisRug

The only Quasi deck that is BBS is the Dane Barker.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

I’m hoping this is a one-off supply issue thing. I prefer PS over BBS; it’s thinner, lighter and has that PS feel (“give and give back”). Gradually all the old PS brands (Habitat, Alien, FA, 917 etc etc) have moved over to BBS due to their huge production capacity (and of course high quality). If Quasi also bounces then that’ll suck, I’m stocking up now on PS Quasi just in case.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

It has been said the next 2022 range is entirely on BBS, but I guess that is just a wait and see really.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m hoping this is a one-off supply issue thing. I prefer PS over BBS; it’s thinner, lighter and has that PS feel (“give and give back”). Gradually all the old PS brands (Habitat, Alien, FA, 917 etc etc) have moved over to BBS due to their huge production capacity (and of course high quality). If Quasi also bounces then that’ll suck, I’m stocking up now on PS Quasi just in case.

Definitely seems like a lot of the major brands in question have had issues with PS Stix more so than just wanted to swap to BBS, so from a business perspective, it might be a whole lot easier for them with the change.

As to people who prefer PS Stix, yes definitely stock up while you can, but maybe check out other brands still on PS Stix, in particular WKND and GX1000 seem to still be putting out a lot of decent decks here in Australia.

I have also heard (and seen) older PS Stix decks seem to hold up a whole lot better than newer ones, but that can also be subjective, between different people, none who break boards much, but skate them until they are almost completely done anyway, as per a few used boards I have from them.

disappointed

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Definitely seems like a lot of the major brands in question have had issues with PS Stix more so than just wanted to swap to BBS, so from a business perspective, it might be a whole lot easier for them with the change.

As to people who prefer PS Stix, yes definitely stock up while you can, but maybe check out other brands still on PS Stix, in particular WKND and GX1000 seem to still be putting out a lot of decent decks here in Australia.

I have also heard (and seen) older PS Stix decks seem to hold up a whole lot better than newer ones, but that can also be subjective, between different people, none who break boards much, but skate them until they are almost completely done anyway, as per a few used boards I have from them.

Yeah, BBS really seem to have it together - quality wood, reliable production, much bigger production capacity - so from a business side it can’t be a coincidence that the BBS list just gets longer and longer.
Which sucks for me, especially if Quasi jumps too. I just don’t really connect with WKND, and GX even less - but I can go 90s sand off the graphics if things get desperate! :)

I’m probably on my own here, but with PS I can go 8 or even 8.125 and still got it, but even an 8 in BBS feels clunky and often have short wheelbase 14” (and 8.125 just feels huge). My favourite BBS size is the 7.875 with the longer wheelbase (Polar shape).

I have to agree that the older PS hold up great. I’m actually skating a BA 3D 8.1 and it’s holding up well despite its age, and not always landing bolts surprised it just doesn’t break! Also, a PS Jason Adams Elephant cruiser I pulled off the wall, it’s also surprising snappy even after heavy wear.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, BBS really seem to have it together - quality wood, reliable production, much bigger production capacity - so from a business side it can’t be a coincidence that the BBS list just gets longer and longer.
Which sucks for me, especially if Quasi jumps too. I just don’t really connect with WKND, and GX even less - but I can go 90s sand off the graphics if things get desperate! :)

I’m probably on my own here, but with PS I can go 8 or even 8.125 and still got it, but even an 8 in BBS feels clunky and often have short wheelbase 14” (and 8.125 just feels huge). My favourite BBS size is the 7.875 with the longer wheelbase (Polar shape).

I have to agree that the older PS hold up great. I’m actually skating a BA 3D 8.1 and it’s holding up well despite its age, and not always landing bolts surprised it just doesn’t break! Also, a PS Jason Adams Elephant cruiser I pulled off the wall, it’s also surprising snappy even after heavy wear.

If you were anywhere round Brisbane or south east QLD, I would be happy to give you a couple of PS Stix boards too - just get rid of the graphics.

Most people now who I skate with don't want anything as small as 8 or 8.1 so they are not going anywhere.

disappointed

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you were anywhere round Brisbane or south east QLD, I would be happy to give you a couple of PS Stix boards too - just get rid of the graphics.

Most people now who I skate with don't want anything as small as 8 or 8.1 so they are not going anywhere.

Cheers mate, I’m down in Danistan, but cheers. I’ve got a fair wood pile for now; then I guess I’ll just end up on 7.875 polar. I hope they don’t discontinue that!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Cheers mate, I’m down in Danistan, but cheers. I’ve got a fair wood pile for now; then I guess I’ll just end up on 7.875 polar. I hope they don’t discontinue that!

Ha!

It took me a sec to work out what was going on, but then it came up, and it clicked.

The good old southern state of fun, hey?

Easy though.  Re Polar boards in that size - there should always be enough of those around for you too.

LebowskisRug

I might be in the minority but I’ve had a lot of inconsistency with PS boards. They lose pop quick or feel soggy from the get go and the wood chips easily. BBS seem to last much longer and I don’t think I know a single person that prefers PS. If Quasi does a BBS Proto I’d be in heaven.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I might be in the minority but I’ve had a lot of inconsistency with PS boards. They lose pop quick or feel soggy from the get go and the wood chips easily. BBS seem to last much longer and I don’t think I know a single person that prefers PS. If Quasi does a BBS Proto I’d be in heaven.

That is more like the common theme, from people talking on here.

I guess that is why a lot of people are not so keen on PS Stix, as well as major companies switching to a different woodshop.

Back in the day PS Stix was amazing and I still have boards from back then that are straight, rock solid, not at all soggy, especially my old Black Label decks, as those things just seem to last forever.

foureyedjim

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Quasi measures fine for me. Their length is measured with the concave not straight across. I've had many of their decks and they're always identical for a given shape, however, they have a few different shapes at a given width. You can easily tell by the WB measurement which it is and the Proto is always its own shape.

Speaking from experience, I’ve held two different boards that were both supposed to be 33” long and one of them was definitely shorter.  Even measuring with concave it’s 32.5 which ended up not being a huge deal but still a mistake nonetheless

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal

PS wood is thin and has a lot of flex, which a lot of people mistake for being soggy. It also tends to throw timing way off at first, similar to 5/6 ply CF decks. If I'm switching between the two it usually takes at least an hour or two before things start to feel right.

I've probably skated 3/4 dozen of them in the last few years and across that time I've had exactly 2 that I would consider soggy or dead (one was a wknd deck I had imported from overseas, the other was an 8.25 proto) before their time, which is about what I'd expect. Now if you want something that's genuinely soggy and dead straight from the factory I think I have a control deck around here somewhere...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:44:14 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
i was looking at some palace boards and the 8.38 shape (chewy pro models etc) supposedly has an 14.84 wheelbase while being just a little longer than 32. is that true or are the dimensions online messed up? sounds like a really wild shape

i took the dimensions from skatedeluxe (they have nose and tail lengths, wheelbases etc) and it added up but still seems weird, like who would put such a long wheelbase on a deck like that
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

disappointed

i was looking at some palace boards and the 8.38 shape (chewy pro models etc) supposedly has an 14.84 wheelbase while being just a little longer than 32. is that true or are the dimensions online messed up? sounds like a really wild shape

i took the dimensions from skatedeluxe (they have nose and tail lengths, wheelbases etc) and it added up but still seems weird, like who would put such a long wheelbase on a deck like that

That’s what it says on palace site - 8.38 Chewy pro has 14.84 wheelbase. And only 31.13 length. Wild.
Cool that it seems a genuinely pro spec shape that and not just generic dimensions.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal

OK it is the palace one I was thinking of.
Yeah that's the dimensions listed on the palace site for ages so it does seem like it's a genuine "Pro spec" as in this is the weird ass dimensions chewy skates. Maybe he learned on a shaped deck or something . Like I said earlier 917 and Heroin both have ones that are similar, and some people swear by it. Personally I can't go past 14.5 and even then it has to be short and flat.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for that.

[close]

[close]

Definitely!

I have had more than one message asking for brands to be removed from certain woodshop lists as it was hurting their business and I am very happy to help them and remove the brand and info.  It just goes to show that people do look at this list and often make decisions based on what woodshop a brand uses too, without even having tried the board of that woodshop too, in some cases.

Personal opinion is everything in places like this though.

I like one brand more than others.

Someone else might like a different brand and that is just how it goes.

That's interesting. If a brand refuses to be transparent about what woodshop they're using (or I can't find them on the master list), I refuse to buy from them.

MysticalTypeExperience

Anyone know what woodshop Arbor uses for their street decks?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I think mine was a whittled down redwood…

MysticalTypeExperience

I think mine was a whittled down redwood…

Lol so garbage? Figured

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I had thought with the "resurrection" under new ownership and products, things were now out of China, vs being out of California where they came from, but they could just as easily be made in USA, Mexico or anywhere else for that matter.

These boards look pretty good, but until I stand on one, skate it for a month or so and see how it goes, I couldn't tell you the first thing about them.

https://www.arborcollective.com/pages/our-story

https://www.arborcollective.com/collections/skateboards

https://www.arborcollective.com/collections/skateboards/products/greyson-8-5-darksider-deck