Author Topic: Nothing But The Truth  (Read 5839 times)

Vauxhall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Nothing But The Truth
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
It's so funny how people get so hung up on someone's shoes or a brand at that.  A lot of you guys bitching are sounding a lot like Birdo.  It's such a sensless thing to gripe about.  They have a really good, diverse team and I'm sure the video will be amazing, so who cares about what brand they skate for.  Fuck, I think the new Plan B is pretty much a joke and mockery of what Plan B once was, but if they put out a video will it be good, yes indeed.  Its always the skating and the skaters that really matter.

Well dude, let me just say that when and if this video drops, things will be very, VERY fucking different. The way Nike, RBK, and like you said, Plan B, are sopping up skaters like a friggin' chamois towel, I imagine the industry will fluctuate around the actions of these few companies.  Whether or not that's a good thing is each person's opinion. These days it's probably inevitable.

bornindabay

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
It's so funny how people get so hung up on someone's shoes or a brand at that.  A lot of you guys bitching are sounding a lot like Birdo.  It's such a sensless thing to gripe about.  They have a really good, diverse team and I'm sure the video will be amazing, so who cares about what brand they skate for.  Fuck, I think the new Plan B is pretty much a joke and mockery of what Plan B once was, but if they put out a video will it be good, yes indeed.  Its always the skating and the skaters that really matter.

The whole point is it sucks to think of all the companies who have stayed true thru the draught and when it's big again all the companies that bailed out during the last draught are back again. This time, they just copy ideas and buy riders. Seems silly to NOT think about it. There's nothing geniune about Nike leeching off of skateboarding. You'd think that the survivors would deserve some much needed boost in sales for staying true but the vultures are cutting line again! So what if it sounds like Birdo. Maybe he's pushing for something right and maybe it's a good thing for some clueless kids to hear. DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A PERSONAL BET THAT NIKE WILL BE PACKING WHEN SKATING'S POPULARITY DIES DOWN. I'LL PUT MY LIFE ON IT.

sleeping.

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A PERSONAL BET THAT NIKE WILL BE PACKING WHEN SKATING'S POPULARITY DIES DOWN. I'LL PUT MY LIFE ON IT.

this whole sheckler/xgames/megaramp/stunt/jereme rogers/nike/skate coaching/nyjah huston/mtv/streetwear  era will not die anytime soon. it will only get worse with a new generation of skatecoached 9 year olds, winning gold in the skateboarding olympics.

TROPICS

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2007, 11:01:17 PM »
Expand Quote
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A PERSONAL BET THAT NIKE WILL BE PACKING WHEN SKATING'S POPULARITY DIES DOWN. I'LL PUT MY LIFE ON IT.
[close]

this whole sheckler/xgames/megaramp/stunt/jereme rogers/nike/skate coaching/nyjah huston/mtv/streetwear  era will not die anytime soon. it will only get worse with a new generation of skatecoached 9 year olds, winning gold in the skateboarding olympics.
this is completely true. it's weird when you're in an era of growth so rapid that you can basically forgo hindsight and actually observe history in the present. bros, we were part of the golden era of skateboarding, and we were lucky. it's like we are apart of ty cobb baseball, when old ty made just enough and ate chicken fried steaks, two scoops of ice cream, and a hooker everynight and then played a game the next day. i think the shaun white/olympic/little league side will grow exponentially, while ours has enough checks and balances/anti-jock sentiment to not disappear as some feel, but just grow more slowly, which is obviously fine. the sheckler set will eclipse us in size soon enough, but apart from the general public's perception of skatboarding, it won't matter. there will always be an 'underground', dudes playing blacktop basketball in cabrini green, but it's only going to become a increasingly commodified 'sport' as a whole.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
this is completely true. it's weird when you're in an era of growth so rapid that you can basically forgo hindsight and actually observe history in the present. bros, we were part of the golden era of skateboarding, and we were lucky. it's like we are apart of ty cobb baseball, when old ty made just enough and ate chicken fried steaks, two scoops of ice cream, and a hooker everynight and then played a game the next day. i think the shaun white/olympic/little league side will grow exponentially, while ours has enough checks and balances/anti-jock sentiment to not disappear as some feel, but just grow more slowly, which is obviously fine. the sheckler set will eclipse us in size soon enough, but apart from the general public's perception of skatboarding, it won't matter. there will always be an 'underground', dudes playing blacktop basketball in cabrini green, but it's only going to become a increasingly commodified 'sport' as a whole.

alot of interesting ideas here.  good imagination.    I can easily see some of this stuff unfolding.......I'd imagine that even at this point things would feel a-lot more real (as in 'to keep it real') even just outside of california......its kind of embarrasing to be thought of as a skateboarder here.

skateboarding in the olympics would be the ultimate turning point I guess......

wheee!

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »
on focus' website todd jordan says he has a bunch of footie that he's sitting on so hopefully he will have a full freaking part finally!
No shit.  That dudes been laying low for awhile now.  That big spin front board sequence he had in that recent skateboarder mag Texas article was pretty sick.

Vauxhall

• Rep: 0
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2007, 09:08:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well-fucking-put. Summing it up, that's pretty much exactly how it seems. Sometimes though you just hope that skateboarding remains such an amorphous activity, lifestyle, whatever the fuck you wanna call it, that it won't be nicely commodified, branded, and sold to where it is completely without  any of the stuff the most of us hold dear, like you know, originality.  Would it be completely crazy and paranoid to say that it's scary that companies like Nike are gonna be the ones who will responsible for the "image" of skateboarding in the future? There's definintely gonna be some interesting times ahead. Maybe the characters who are pushed to the forefront won't be there purely because of $$$, because sometimes that just doesen't translate into true character. Check out Jake Phelp's interview on Epicly Later'd, just cruising the street making random observations. You don't see Bob doing that, not while he's in his little ego bubble farting around in the back-yard.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:16:06 AM by Vauxhall »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »

some of you guys are just like hating for no reason.....