Author Topic: Last try  (Read 1674 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Last try
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:58:57 PM »
If you're like me, you can't end the session without at least a handful of last tries. Do you really just give it one more? How many last tries is too many? Anyone actually land anything on their last try lately? Are you a filmer and hate people like me for wasting time and memory space? Let's talk about the last try.

For my last try always means at least three, then if I come close then that's at least another 2 or 3. From there is usually "alright, seriously last try right here". If I get my feet on I'm allowed unlimited last tries until I either land it or don't put my feet on it.

Gab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
Re: Last try
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »
I never say it cause I feel like it’s jinxing yourself to get hurt. But I said it yesterday cause I really did have to leave and I made the trick that try after so many tries. Sometimes it works out but I feel like it’s just happenstance. I usually skate alone so I’m just saying it in my head.
I remember filming people and they’d say last try and I’d be like no worries dude it will take how long it takes, I’m here no matter what. In my experience, when people are trying to film manuals is when they say it after like every try haha shits nerve wracking..

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1184
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 06:17:45 PM »
If Skate Moss made a beautiful hat about it, there must be something to it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:27 PM »
It's a mixed bag on how it ends up whenever I say it. I either come super close and think, "oh man I got this" sparking me to try again or it's one of the shittiest tries to which I'm like, "Fuck I can't leave off on that garbage." But every so often I get a very middle of the road attempt and walk away with my head held neither high nor low.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
I also believe saying “last try” can be a jinx. I usually get to a point where I’ll say “if I don’t get this one I’m over it” and it’s usually at a point where I only have a try or 2 left in me anyways. I’ll try shit until I can’t walk, it’s kind of a problem because I’ll do that with almost any type of trick be it manual, ledge, or stairs/gaps/rails, and then be damn near physically incapable for like a week.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:22:47 PM »
Last try is usually the last 20-30 minutes of the sesh or until I land my shit

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »
If you're like me, you can't end the session without at least a handful of last tries. Do you really just give it one more? How many last tries is too many? Anyone actually land anything on their last try lately? Are you a filmer and hate people like me for wasting time and memory space? Let's talk about the last try.

For my last try always means at least three, then if I come close then that's at least another 2 or 3. From there is usually "alright, seriously last try right here". If I get my feet on I'm allowed unlimited last tries until I either land it or don't put my feet on it.
Some part of my body usually fails or out right quits on me, or I will succumb to “the charms of the concrete” and be forced to retire before it ever occurs to me to declare last try.
Not because I go hard, mind you, rather because I suck at skating and can’t seem to keep myself off the ground.
So no.
No last tries for me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:36:49 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »
I did a nice backside bluntslide after I looked over and the camera and held up two fingers for two more tries. I landed the next one. That was the last time that worked out for me.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 06:29:27 PM »
My biggest regret in skating is having one last try at nosemanualing a ledge and messing up my ACL in the process, so nowadays I don't bother with the "three more tries at this" mentality or nose-manualing ledges for that matter.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 07:47:10 PM »
If you're not superstitious don't say "last try". Say "this is the make", or something like that. When you're done, say "I'm done". Sometimes when you're exhausted and your brain feels cloudy/can't focus right, it's time to save it for the next session. A lot of those thrasher My War videos have skaters mentioning they've gone to that spot a few times before they finally made the trick. If you don't have the juice left, don't hurt yourself. You know how you feel better than anyone else.

Also... If I have your phone in my hand and you say last try, that is the official last try. I'm trying to skate too.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1226
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 08:42:32 PM »
5 “last tries” is the first right amount. if you’re trying to move on to the next spot or go get food and the homie is like “last try” obviously one isn’t enough (especially if they get close), 3 is too cliche, anything after 5 is just annoying.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 08:44:16 PM »
the old college try (three tries then bail) unless I get stupid close to the third try - then one more - and if I don’t get close to that try I bail for real

I’m wicked smaht

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 08:48:21 PM »
If I really feel the tricks vibes I'll just land it because incredible footage, but if it just gets sketchy I'll next session it
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 09:12:35 PM »
I try not to have this mentality because if I end up landing the trick, i want to do it again to "make it true" & prove that i have it down consistently...so i will prob end up skating longer than i should

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 09:27:31 PM »
I suck and i last try everything because i pussyfoot around too much. No one ever taught me about commitment
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Hotpocket

• Rep: -26
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »
Regardless of anything, I just do a nollieflip on my way back to my car and consider the last trick I landed as a success lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 09:50:05 PM »
I allow myself to earn extra tries if I’m close….if I’m not…I’m done.

Skatebeard

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 12:55:01 AM »

Regardless of anything, I just do a nollieflip on my way back to my car and consider the last trick I landed as a success lol

Finishing on a make is one of my big skating personal rules, no matter how the session has been I will always call it after that land of the last trick of the session - usually a heelflip or halfcab kickflip these days. I can have a crappy session but finishing on a positive session sets me up for the next one.

Calling last try is something I try not to do because it's usually a recipe for disaster, I just keep going til I land something, or quit out if i start to get further away or super tired out.

Continuing to skate after mentally already calling last try or the end of the session is even worse, I've had some bad injuries with the "just one more" decision.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 01:17:01 AM »
A guy I used to work with went on a ski trip (Vail or some shit) with his gf and some other friends. They had fun, ski'd a lot, partied, etc. His flight back wasn't until the next day after everybody else left so he decided to get one last day in on the slopes. On the last run of the day, near the top of the mountain, he tore his ACL. Realizing he was going to freeze right there on the mountain unless he could make it down before the sun set, he then had to shimmy his way down the mountain and told me could hear the other ligaments in his already weakened knee popping and snapping as he shuffled his descent. His shit was totally fucked when all was said and done.

And the last time I tried to do last try on a skate session, I ended up with an internal hematoma on my quadracep muscle.  Seems like part of the game is knowing when to quit while you're ahead.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Skatebeard

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 02:43:36 AM »
A guy I used to work with went on a ski trip (Vail or some shit) with his gf and some other friends. They had fun, ski'd a lot, partied, etc. His flight back wasn't until the next day after everybody else left so he decided to get one last day in on the slopes. On the last run of the day, near the top of the mountain, he tore his ACL. Realizing he was going to freeze right there on the mountain unless he could make it down before the sun set, he then had to shimmy his way down the mountain and told me could hear the other ligaments in his already weakened knee popping and snapping as he shuffled his descent. His shit was totally fucked when all was said and done.

And the last time I tried to do last try on a skate session, I ended up with an internal hematoma on my quadracep muscle.  Seems like part of the game is knowing when to quit while you're ahead.

I've been snowboarding about 15 years and I feel this - saying "one last run" or "one last lap through the park" is a surefire way to end up in hospital.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 03:37:15 AM »
For the cause of talking in a positive language, and not manifest the last try ever, I go ‘one more try’ until I’m over it.
Some might think the form of language is insignificant in this case, but for me, it makes me feel good talking in this way.
But it is basically same shit different toilet..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 03:49:47 AM »
When I was younger me and my friends would do "3 tries or your mother dies". Obviously no-one's mom was ever harmed, it was just some sort of hypothetical mental shit. Maybe we were just sick fucks. Anyone else do something similar?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 06:07:48 AM »
I usually do my last try first that way I get younger as the session goes on

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 06:27:47 AM »
I usually do my last try first that way I get younger as the session goes on

Lmao but actually, I've been trying to make progress or try something difficult right after I've warmed up to avoid being tired and desperate with the last try stuff.

That way if shit doesn't work out, I'm much more likely to stick to my "last try" and look forward to the rest of the session where I can do what I want and have fun (or as TUAT says, get younger as the session goes on).
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »
If you're not superstitious don't say "last try". Say "this is the make", or something like that. When you're done, say "I'm done". Sometimes when you're exhausted and your brain feels cloudy/can't focus right, it's time to save it for the next session. A lot of those thrasher My War videos have skaters mentioning they've gone to that spot a few times before they finally made the trick. If you don't have the juice left, don't hurt yourself. You know how you feel better than anyone else.

Also... If I have your phone in my hand and you say last try, that is the official last try. I'm trying to skate too.

my favorite example of this:

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 01:33:12 PM »
I wish I never said last try, it's such an immature kooky move. What is the point of claiming last try? You're basically either quitting in advance and invalidating the attempt you're about to take, or contriving some fake pressure to help you commit (spoiler, it won't work if its self imposed last try). I feel like most of the narrativizing I've done about my skating just gets in the way. Nowadays I like Gonz's philosophy in that episode of Love Letters when he says he thinks it's a karma stick. You'll do good or bad on your board based on what you deserve, and if you're not humble enough to accept your punishment then you're just earning more.