Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798733 times)

rothdigga and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Coping Grinder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4260 on: June 06, 2022, 05:48:19 AM »
Siri, play "808s & Heartbreak" album by Kanye West. Max volume.

Will be preparing to throw some money on a couple pairs come September.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4261 on: June 06, 2022, 08:30:51 AM »
I can’t wait for the tan/gum 808!

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #4262 on: June 06, 2022, 12:06:14 PM »
yo i’m pissed! they changed the fit of the 1010’s. i just got my new grey days (which are beautiful in person), put them on and had to do a double take to make sure i didn’t accidentally order a smaller size. they fit so tight, the older ones fit perfect TTS, if not slightly long.
I've wondered about this as well but have been told no changes have been made. It's the toebox material that seems to make a difference. Mesh toebox fits me perfectly whereas suede fits way tighter. I have to lace em a little different but they usually stretch out and feel fine after a couple sessions.

oak leaf

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4263 on: June 06, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »
Fuck, Tiagos shoe is so clean in that colorway!
*prays for vegan version*

right there with ya. nb# has killer designs but the 420 is like my least favorite. each time my local gets a new drop i check this thread to see if its synth suede but that just ends in disappointment  :'(

vegan 1010s would be sick for sure. personally i want some vegan 440s.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4264 on: June 07, 2022, 02:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck, Tiagos shoe is so clean in that colorway!
*prays for vegan version*
[close]

right there with ya. nb# has killer designs but the 420 is like my least favorite. each time my local gets a new drop i check this thread to see if its synth suede but that just ends in disappointment  :'(

vegan 1010s would be sick for sure. personally i want some vegan 440s.
I would love a vegan 440.  It's also super frustrating that they haven't made any of the new 425s vegan. Many of the All Coast 425 versions were fully synth, and the Numeric versions are like 75% synth, it's just the toe piece that is real suede.  I get it, that's where most skaters want to have real suede, but like, ugh, it's so close to being vegan.  Same with all the canvas 213/214s post-Semarria's version

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4265 on: June 07, 2022, 07:46:09 PM »
I know @rothdigga is reading these comments, make it happen son!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

eSK3

« Reply #4266 on: June 07, 2022, 11:36:44 PM »
All this vegan talk LOL! All I’ve ever wanted from NB# is a pig suede and horween leather combo on a skate shoe that is made in the USA.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4267 on: June 08, 2022, 12:14:12 AM »
All this vegan talk LOL! All I’ve ever wanted from NB# is a pig suede and horween leather combo on a skate shoe that is made in the USA.
I have vegan 990s made in the USA and would legit pay the same amount of money for a Tiago version; maybe vegan made is USA skate shoes are too much of a niche market, but #NB have got the materials/ tech and resources to branch out beyond the 420!

eSK3

« Reply #4268 on: June 08, 2022, 04:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have vegan 990s made in the USA and would legit pay the same amount of money for a Tiago version; maybe vegan made is USA skate shoes are too much of a niche market, but #NB have got the materials/ tech and resources to branch out beyond the 420!

I would 1000% purchase a skate shoe made in USA regardless of materials.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4269 on: June 08, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
wouldnt it be like $400?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4270 on: June 08, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
wouldnt it be like $400?
my 990s we’re $300 so yeah…
again, probably not feasible to make skate shoes in that price range from a business perspective.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4271 on: June 08, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
Expand Quote
wouldnt it be like $400?
[close]
again, probably not feasible to make skate shoes in that price range from a business perspective.
but that was the price in Japan.  Here in the US, those USA-made vegan 990s were $185 retail, which is not totally out of the realm of possibility for a highly-desirable skate shoe

Coping Grinder

« Reply #4272 on: June 08, 2022, 11:24:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wouldnt it be like $400?
[close]
[close]
but that was the price in Japan.  Here in the US, those USA-made vegan 990s were $185 retail, which is not totally out of the realm of possibility for a highly-desirable skate shoe
I'm not hip to purchasing vegan products, but, compared to the $110 pricetag for some 1010s through NB's website, that's a 68% price increase from the original product. Is that expected/ normal for these products? Seems substantial, but also I guess the boots theory (A man with $50 boots keeps his feet dry for the same length of time that a poorer man who purchases $20 boots five times over= $100) implies you should spring for the quality made product.

oak leaf

« Reply #4273 on: June 08, 2022, 11:32:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wouldnt it be like $400?
[close]
[close]
[close]
I'm not hip to purchasing vegan products, but, compared to the $110 pricetag for some 1010s through NB's website, that's a 68% price increase from the original product. Is that expected/ normal for these products? Seems substantial, but also I guess the boots theory (A man with $50 boots keeps his feet dry for the same length of time that a poorer man who purchases $20 boots five times over= $100) implies you should spring for the quality made product.

i dont want to derail this thread but ive been vegan for about a decade now and im just sharing my experience and perspective. that kind of markup is obnoxious but just a reality when something is labeled “vegan.” a lot of vegan stuff has been introduced to mainstream markets recently but because of the way the animal industry is subsidized in the USA (where im based, cant speak to anything global) animal products are artificially cheaper than synth stuff (or fake meat/tofu). I certainly dont like paying this “green tax” or whatever you want to call it (especially since im well aware synth suede/leather isnt kind to our oceans) but when I can afford to, I like to use my resources to show companies/shops that vegan stuff does in fact sell and is worth pursuing.

tldr
Vegan stuff is often more expensive but it kinda shouldnt be. For example, to get us back on track, NB Numeric 420s are the same price as other shoes in that range (that use animal products) and are fully vegan.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #4274 on: June 08, 2022, 11:41:05 AM »
$185 is the retail price for made in USA NB shoes generally, new balance put out a vegan 990v5 recently and it was $185, same as the suede models.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4275 on: June 08, 2022, 11:57:46 AM »
Yeah, to be clear, the increased price of those 990s is due to the "made in USA" factor, not due to the vegan materials.  It just so happens we're talking about both in the same breath here.

oak leaf

« Reply #4276 on: June 08, 2022, 12:00:49 PM »
$185 is the retail price for made in USA NB shoes generally, new balance put out a vegan 990v5 recently and it was $185, same as the suede models.

Yeah, to be clear, the increased price of those 990s is due to the "made in USA" factor, not due to the vegan materials.  It just so happens we're talking about both in the same breath here.

yep my post was about a general trend not those exact shoes. fwiw NB is pretty consistently delivering vegan models and they dont look nearly as hideous as some other companies’. i would just love to see more of em in the skate line

eSK3

« Reply #4277 on: June 08, 2022, 12:15:48 PM »
wouldnt it be like $400?

Prob $160-$200 is reasonable since that’s what they go for now.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4278 on: June 08, 2022, 04:37:13 PM »
yeah, same price regardless of the material, that price is just because of the made in USA tag. I have no qualms paying for quality product if it lasts, most skate rat kids wouldn’t give a fuck though…

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #4279 on: June 08, 2022, 11:46:30 PM »
With respect to vegan kicks, I know that not all vegan/synthetic leathers are petroleum based, but one would think the petroleum oligarchs would be all over the opportunity to have their fingers in another pie.

Especially now that the "plant-based" marketing term has somewhat sanitized/rehabilitated the concept that the word "vegan" had made anathema to so many.

While I'm not vegan, I would definitely be down to skate alternative/synthetic textile kicks if there were more options.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #4280 on: June 10, 2022, 09:07:52 PM »
Anyone know if 306 Jamie Foy slip-ons are true to size? Width?

Fooj

• Rep: 188
« Reply #4281 on: June 11, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
As someone that only skates 306s, the length seems the same but the forefoot width is so much tighter on the slips than the lace up version. Makes them feel way more narrow. At least this was my experience with the faux leather slip-ons, the suedes might be more flexible.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4282 on: June 12, 2022, 05:19:12 AM »
I have the foy slips in suede. the fit my wide feet well. they are for sure a little bit narrower than the 379

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4283 on: June 12, 2022, 02:29:52 PM »
Anyone know if the new black Tiago 1010’s fit the same as the OG white leather ones ?

Usually a 10 in everything (except Half Cabs) and had to go 9.5 with the white leather ones seeing as they fit kinda big for my narrow foot.

Heard the new ones may fit a bit smaller than the first few releases.

eSK3

« Reply #4284 on: June 13, 2022, 04:28:54 AM »
Anyone know if the new black Tiago 1010’s fit the same as the OG white leather ones ?

Usually a 10 in everything (except Half Cabs) and had to go 9.5 with the white leather ones seeing as they fit kinda big for my narrow foot.

I wear the same size in Mesh toe Tiagos and solid material toe Tiagos. The difference is the solid material just takes longer to break in versus the mesh due to mesh being more flexible and breathable. That’s prob why some pairs on certain people feel tighter in the toe. They break in lovely though. I’ve been skating that black white pair for a few weeks and they get better and better.

Coping Grinder

« Reply #4285 on: June 13, 2022, 05:20:27 AM »

I was 9.5 in other skate shoes, but when I switched to NB I had to size down to 9s. Compared to my other Tiagos, these I would say are a bit tighter, though I think they'll loosen up to what I normally expect from other pairs.

I will say this black on black one feels like the most well constructed pair of Tiagos to date, seems like they worked with this material well and the opaque sole really works well. Idk, I just threw them on this morning for work and am pumped on them.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #4286 on: June 13, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
As someone that only skates 306s, the length seems the same but the forefoot width is so much tighter on the slips than the lace up version. Makes them feel way more narrow. At least this was my experience with the faux leather slip-ons, the suedes might be more flexible.

I have the foy slips in suede. the fit my wide feet well. they are for sure a little bit narrower than the 379

Thanks for feedback. Only thought about buying them because they were cheap at the big Z. Went a different direction

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 601
« Reply #4287 on: June 15, 2022, 10:48:15 AM »
Am I correct in understanding that the 440 highs fit slightly roomier compared to the 440 lows?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4288 on: June 15, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
Am I correct in understanding that the 440 highs fit slightly roomier compared to the 440 lows?

yes but not enough to make it worth sizing up or down
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 601
« Reply #4289 on: June 15, 2022, 11:05:22 AM »
Excellent! Thank you.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.