Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 137867 times)

Fifty8mm and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 06, 2024, 08:30:37 AM »
I've got a set of 'old' (pre size mark on the hanger) 149 Titaniums. I ride them fairly lose with 52mm wheels. On the first deck wheel bite was anoying. But that was never an issue again after I switched to a deck with wheel wells. (Sorry that I keep bringing wheel wells up again in conncetion with Thunders, but they make a difference. And you might have the pleasure to ride a Hjalte deck with wells.)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1009
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2101 on: May 06, 2024, 08:37:52 AM »
I've got a set of 'old' (pre size mark on the hanger) 149 Titaniums. I ride them fairly lose with 52mm wheels. On the first deck wheel bite was anoying. But that was never an issue again after I switched to a deck with wheel wells. (Sorry that I keep bringing wheel wells up again in conncetion with Thunders, but they make a difference. And you might have the pleasure to ride a Hjalte deck with wells.)

Thunder+wheel wells (if you don't want to deal with risers) is the way; I rode many a polar w/well with thunders until they discontinued the 31.875 825 for the 32" =(

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2102 on: May 06, 2024, 09:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder+wheel wells (if you don't want to deal with risers) is the way; I rode many a polar w/well with thunders until they discontinued the 31.875 825 for the 32" =(
Doing the same. Team Hollows + WKND with wheel wells
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2103 on: May 06, 2024, 12:39:40 PM »
really dumb question, but do wheel wells alter the pinch at all?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #2104 on: May 06, 2024, 01:17:38 PM »
You can pinch even harder, make that hanger turn 90°

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2105 on: May 06, 2024, 07:47:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You can pinch even harder, make that hanger turn 90°

Throw in some small ass wheels too, even better pinch with wheel wells.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #2106 on: Today at 04:57:29 AM »
any possible release day for the T2s?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 801
« Reply #2107 on: Today at 08:00:10 AM »
any possible release day for the T2s?

are they even a thing yet? all we've heard is a few pros and industry types have had some prototypes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1583
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2108 on: Today at 09:56:12 AM »
I think it’s been dialed back….

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2109 on: Today at 09:57:11 AM »
Bummer but not surprising. Would rather they take their time to get them right though.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2110 on: Today at 11:17:10 AM »
They've had people testing them since 2020, so if 4 years can't get it right nothing will.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2111 on: Today at 12:16:09 PM »
disagree. truck molds are costly and time-consuming. also F4s took years and they were very worth the wait.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2112 on: Today at 12:50:08 PM »
They've had the molds for years and the test trucks have been relatively the same. My guess is they went back and forth on smaller details plus the switch from Ermico to Mexico. Maybe its scaling up the test molds and all the QA involved?

DERBY

• Rep: 264
« Reply #2113 on: Today at 01:12:56 PM »
thanks for the looks yall

hi dlx,

it’d be pretty cool if some folks on slap can give the T2s a test run. folks on this forum would gladly provide feedback. if you want us to keep it in private and off the forums, we can do so too.

thanks!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2114 on: Today at 03:54:16 PM »
thanks for the looks yall

hi dlx,

it’d be pretty cool if some folks on slap can give the T2s a test run. folks on this forum would gladly provide feedback. if you want us to keep it in private and off the forums, we can do so too.

thanks!

Now you're talking. Get five sets out to some Pals and we will tell you what's up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2115 on: Today at 04:30:35 PM »
disagree. truck molds are costly and time-consuming. also F4s took years and they were very worth the wait.

...and 3 years for (supposedly) for spit 93s (granted it took less time because they new the target).

They've had people testing them since 2020, so if 4 years can't get it right nothing will.

Yeah, Bones took 10yrs with Dragons/x-formula - let's just rush shit to market.

Get TF outta here with that BS.

diplodocus

• Rep: 154
  • long neck
« Reply #2116 on: Today at 05:22:36 PM »
There is no rush to get the T2 out, might as well get it right instead of Lurpiving it. I don't think the demand for a T2 is even that high. I'm assuming most skaters don't even know a T2 is on the cards. Cause really, there is nothing wrong with Thunders. The only credible thing people dislike about them is the wheel contact on nose and tailslides, and that can be fixed with form.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2117 on: Today at 05:31:13 PM »
when the T2 comes out and all the sk8rs try it

it will be judgment day

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2118 on: Today at 06:11:27 PM »
I doubt they are even called T2s. Truth be told Thunders are probably only a stage or 2 behind Indy.

But it does seem like they will be an alternative to the current line not a new stage... so who knows....

If I was DLX dude, I'd say they should lean heavy on the Thunder of yore in terms of image and turn. Play up the history a bit but add  kingpin clearance, shave some weight. Call Terry Nails and Shrewgy. Get Chis Cook and Jeff Hartsel ads.

Give Natas a model. Heart Grenade. Pull the pin. Let's go!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2119 on: Today at 06:24:17 PM »
when the T2 comes out and all the sk8rs try it

it will be judgment day

Usename checks out.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2120 on: Today at 06:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...and 3 years for (supposedly) for spit 93s (granted it took less time because they new the target).

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, Bones took 10yrs with Dragons/x-formula - let's just rush shit to market.

Get TF outta here with that BS.

Supposedly the photo has been internally around for longer, just testing for 4 years. The testing for the 93 Spits was less than 4 years, so I'd trust DLX knows what they're doing and can get things out quickly. According to someone at DLX they had the formula for a while before, but the market didn't seem to be there and they were able to rush protos and testing once they saw Bones/Powell succeeding. There's definitely levels of testing (internal protos -> V1 tested by employees and maybe a few team members -> V1.x tested by small group of testers... until you have team riders testing them). I don't know how long Indy Mids were tested for (not long enough apparently), AF1s supposedly had a pretty quick development cycle, and Stage IV would make sense didn't take a ton of time.

Our local shop is one of the biggest in the state/region and the owner had a test pair back in 2021. According to him they seem to be the same as the ones he has now minus the bushings and the general finish. My guess is the delay probably has to do with making a shitload of trucks so there's enough for global distribution on launch and given they switched to a new factory that's probably fairly intensive. Unfortunately he is not extremely technical. You can easily spot them in footage and videos going back to around the same time and lots of team riders have had iterations.

In other questions, I wonder if Ishod will stay on Venture now that they're going to release the 8 hole plates he's riding.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2121 on: Today at 08:52:29 PM »

In other questions, I wonder if Ishod will stay on Venture now that they're going to release the 8 hole plates he's riding.

I copied this to the Venture thread too, just because I think it needs more discussion there.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108614.msg4199222#msg4199222

Please tell me more...

* Imagine if you could get undrilled baseplates and then drill them out yourself at whatever position you wanted.  I got my hands on an undrilled Indy baseplate once (and still have it) but it is an interesting concept.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.