Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133247 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2250 on: May 24, 2024, 06:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I might not have tried Krux then, is there another brand that has white cups? I distinctly remember ordering a ton of different brands from SoCal Skateshop I think and the white ones fit and felt the best, but it was splitting hairs. I thought Riptides felt mushy and the truck lost any snap it had and they actually blew out faster than stock. It's been several years since I have only had 1 pair of stage 11 (post China switch) and before that it had been many years of gaslighting myself about Aces
[close]

Mini logo brand have white pivot cups.

Almost all the other ones have black, but I do have some yellow ones, some red ones (which feel super hard) and some really old clear Indy ones (that are not worth using but still look cool in their packet), oh and Modus were blue, almost a black blue at one point too.

Seen others online, Riptide green, then a few others I can't remember now.

ML cups are dogshit, sooo hard. The Tensor cups with fit just dandy in indys are and white.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1048
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2251 on: May 25, 2024, 04:11:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I might not have tried Krux then, is there another brand that has white cups? I distinctly remember ordering a ton of different brands from SoCal Skateshop I think and the white ones fit and felt the best, but it was splitting hairs. I thought Riptides felt mushy and the truck lost any snap it had and they actually blew out faster than stock. It's been several years since I have only had 1 pair of stage 11 (post China switch) and before that it had been many years of gaslighting myself about Aces
[close]

Mini logo brand have white pivot cups.

Almost all the other ones have black, but I do have some yellow ones, some red ones (which feel super hard) and some really old clear Indy ones (that are not worth using but still look cool in their packet), oh and Modus were blue, almost a black blue at one point too.

Seen others online, Riptide green, then a few others I can't remember now.

[close]

ML cups are dogshit, sooo hard. The Tensor cups with fit just dandy in indys are and white.

Maybe these red ones are also Mini Logo pivot cups then.  I never bought any - red or white - so I don't recall getting any, but they were part of a bulk lot of stuff I got from a shop closing a while back and I see them along with white ones from a search.

I don't recall seeing Tensor ones either, but I guess there might be a lot more options in other places (that is to say, not here locally) or in USA at the very least.

Interesting to hear about various pivot cups though.

Thanks!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2252 on: May 25, 2024, 12:06:30 PM »
I think the older ML are orange? When they had the ML circle logo on the hanger;  the newer ones with the star logo are white?

They're out there but you have to hunt for them (old stock)
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/tensor-trucks-atg-white-pivot-cups-set-of-2/

smg1138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2253 on: May 25, 2024, 05:00:37 PM »
Now that you mention it I don't remember having that problem on 149s, 159s or 169s, just the 144s

I'm actually starting to think there might be something wrong with the 144 mold at Indy. I put my bad 144 hanger on a set of plates from a 139 and they were still really jiggly. But the 139 hanger is totally solid in those same plates. It's almost like the 144 hangers don't have enough material around the pivot point and maybe the yoke area too. Think I'm giving up on a set of 144 Standards for now and just gonna skate my 144 Hollows that I got last year. IDK if those are a different mold but they're totally good and turn like an Indy should. Hope they figure this out soon because I can't deal with my Indy's feeling all squirely and unstable like that.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1048
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2254 on: May 25, 2024, 05:06:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Now that you mention it I don't remember having that problem on 149s, 159s or 169s, just the 144s
[close]

I'm actually starting to think there might be something wrong with the 144 mold at Indy. I put my bad 144 hanger on a set of plates from a 139 and they were still really jiggly. But the 139 hanger is totally solid in those same plates. It's almost like the 144 hangers don't have enough material around the pivot point and maybe the yoke area too. Think I'm giving up on a set of 144 Standards for now and just gonna skate my 144 Hollows that I got last year. IDK if those are a different mold but they're totally good and turn like an Indy should. Hope they figure this out soon because I can't deal with my Indy's feeling all squirely and unstable like that.

That could definitely be the case, because I think I have seen it more on those guys who ride the 144 trucks, compared to any other, especially the high end 144s.

The really annoying thing is when the bushings are compressed right down, or slightly lower bottom bushings are used, the hanger fits really well into the baseplate, but then that changes geometry...

Can have one, but then not the other / can't have it all.

Some people might not like how the conical shaped bushings feel, but as they compress a bit more, that might be the answer to skating those hangers.  I even got away with the black 94 duro conicals after they wore in and squashed down a bit on a set of other trucks, so that adds up more to a firm ride that can still turn a lot.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2255 on: May 28, 2024, 05:56:04 PM »
Are the forged baseplates any more durable than the standards? I always go through the baseplate fast from slides.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 150
« Reply #2256 on: May 28, 2024, 06:22:06 PM »
Are the forged baseplates any more durable than the standards? I always go through the baseplate fast from slides.

Forged are thinner. Everytime i slid forged baseplates they look worn down quicker and get really sharp edges.

I think cast are more wear resistant.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2257 on: May 29, 2024, 03:06:02 AM »

if the metal is the same, forging usually gives enhanced durability and toughness compared to casting

Edit:
from Indy website:

Cast
A356 T6 Aluminum Hanger & Baseplate
The best lightweight aluminum alloy heat treated to T6 condition for strength, durability, and grind feel.

Forged
Forged 6061 Aluminum Baseplate
Aircraft grade forged aluminum allows a thinner part while still maintaining high density and strength.

It seems the Aluminum used for forged is from a higher grade but to conclude we need a better metallurgist than me or feedbacks, loads of feedbacks from slidersssssss
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 03:14:58 AM by BALARGUE »

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2258 on: May 29, 2024, 04:15:40 AM »

In my experiences, the cast plates wear quicker and feel a bit softer.

The forged plates have been described as feeling "tinny" in comparison

vktrvghn

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2259 on: May 29, 2024, 05:45:54 AM »
Alright, thanks guys. I'll have to keep track of how quickly I go through my new pair and give an update.

dublak2

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2260 on: May 29, 2024, 11:50:12 AM »

Scottboarding

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2261 on: May 29, 2024, 11:50:55 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2262 on: Today at 02:55:47 AM »

Stage 10 indys I traded for
I put the 92a blue bushings in here. The bushings that were in it were mad soft. I was skating fine on it but I had these ones laying around and it feels amazing now. I have to put it quite loose like pretty flush with the thread and nut, but I think this makes more sense than trying to crank down a soft bushing.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:43:09 AM by rawbertson. »

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2263 on: Today at 07:46:43 AM »

I would agree something is up with the 144 mold. A 144 pivot next to a 129 pivot. This particular 144 is super loose in pivot cups.

smg1138

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2264 on: Today at 10:05:58 AM »

I would agree something is up with the 144 mold. A 144 pivot next to a 129 pivot. This particular 144 is super loose in pivot cups.

Thanks for posting this pic. I was starting to think I was losing my mind over this. Really hope they get this fixed soon because I'm liking skating 8.25's now and the 144's work perfect for me on that size board.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #2265 on: Today at 11:20:20 AM »
just purchased and skated a set of 144 the other day, despite reading what ppl have wrote...and idk they felt great!!!

pops

• Rep: 260
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2266 on: Today at 11:29:21 AM »
I went back to my Stage 4s. Couldn't get Slappys work like I would like them to. I'll keep them still and see if I find a good setup they work with.