Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88506 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #450 on: September 28, 2022, 01:57:39 PM »
Okay so, I think it is on me to bring this thread back.

I was looking for a solution. Something thin and kinda stiff to put under the regular insole of vulc shoes. To make the shoes a bit more stiffer. I used what I found in my apartment. I used cardboard from a pack of pizza and griptape. I traced the outline of the existing insole on the cardboard, cut it out and put two layers of griptape on the cardboard. On the top and on the bottom of the cardboard "insole". Not gonna lie, I feel a bit insane, but so far I like it.
Any other ideas or recommendations for material are welcome. I was thinking some kind of thin plastic could work really well, but I am not sure.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #451 on: September 28, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »

I was looking for a solution. Something thin and kinda stiff to put under the regular insole of vulc shoes. To make the shoes a bit more stiffer. I used what I found in my apartment. I used cardboard from a pack of pizza and griptape. I traced the outline of the existing insole on the cardboard, cut it out and put two layers of griptape on the cardboard. On the top and on the bottom of the cardboard "insole". Not gonna lie, I feel a bit insane, but so far I like it.
Any other ideas or recommendations for material are welcome. I was thinking some kind of thin plastic could work really well, but I am not sure.

Superfeet and lots of other companies make stiff heel supports that are designed for low volume shoes. They fit under your heel and arch. If you want full length you can try the Sole orthotics that have a plastic base under the foam.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2022, 05:01:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Superfeet and lots of other companies make stiff heel supports that are designed for low volume shoes. They fit under your heel and arch. If you want full length you can try the Sole orthotics that have a plastic base under the foam.
What about one of those rubber mat things you out on a desk so you don't accidentally cut into the wood? I've got a bunch of carpet tiles that have rubber backing and have thought about cutting one into insoles before I think the rubber would be pretty similar to what's under the sponge in non skate line vans. In Aus there's a shop called Clarke rubber that has a million types of rubber and plastic sheets etc I'm sure there must be versions of this in every country where you could find something.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2022, 05:18:20 PM »
I dunno man you're basically trying to make a midsole in a shoe that doesn't have one. Id recommend just roasting them out with a stiff insole and then getting something different.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
What about one of those rubber mat things you out on a desk so you don't accidentally cut into the wood? I've got a bunch of carpet tiles that have rubber backing and have thought about cutting one into insoles before I think the rubber would be pretty similar to what's under the sponge in non skate line vans. In Aus there's a shop called Clarke rubber that has a million types of rubber and plastic sheets etc I'm sure there must be versions of this in every country where you could find something.

Woolies has those thin three pack of fairly big flexible cutting boards that are under a mm thick but super sturdy and take a beating.

I wonder if something like that would work, if the shoe has enough room height wise to fit with everything else.

Some of the taller or blown out shoes have been good with those flat odor eater insoles - pretty much just thin rubber type of stuff, but as you are thinking something a little harder material would work well too and would not break up.

When I would put cardboard in the shoes, it would get sweaty and within a week just come apart from some serious sessions, so i would look for other things that would not get soggy.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 50
« Reply #455 on: September 29, 2022, 01:52:30 AM »
Came here to say flexible plastic cutting boards.

Used to glue them in my thin squishy running shoes as a 'rock plate' for backpacking, for keeping pointy rocks from poking my foot lol

I don't see the point of it in a skate shoe

Now I just use Sole footbeds in my hiking shoes... And ski boots, ice boots, etc etc. Sole don't work so well in some shoes(too wide) but superfeet are a little narrower. I wanna try some of the other superfeets, the softer ones, to put in like, blazers, classic vans, LRAB's, etc. The classic superfeets and the SOLE boys don't have shit for heel protection, but they're great for primo protection

LebowskisRug

« Reply #456 on: September 29, 2022, 01:30:17 PM »
I liked the Sole Ultra in Half Cabs and use Superfeet RUN Comfort in my NB 440s. I've gotten a few friends to convert to these as well. NB sells a branded version for more money.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #457 on: October 05, 2022, 04:06:53 PM »
I kinda want to try ventures but I have zero reason to do so. My setup with thunders is perfect.
Could get V-Lights 50% off and I'm thinking about it all the time. My main reason to actually buy them is to simply stop thinking about it at this point.
Only rolled around one somebodies setup with ventures once, hated the non-turn. But in my head it can't actually be this ridiculously bad, must have been his bushings or something.
I'd also kind of like to slide on baseplates...?

HELP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #458 on: October 05, 2022, 04:32:43 PM »
The turn is the turn it would be really weird if his was an outlier. It is what it is you either get used to it or hack it to be close to what you want. V-lights won't feel like Thunders even tho they're lower. I liked them the least of any truck I have tried in modern times. They're light, but so damn long.

I also get interested in baseplate slide, but that is a factor for like 2 tricks if I don't wax the sides of the ledge. Your pop will be heavier and all of your timing will be altered except for a few basics. They will grind slower than Thunders. Is that worth a marginal difference in baseplate slide? I'd wager "no".

I also waver back to some form of Indy with my Thunder madness. Mostly because they pop well, turn well, and grind well plus the plate slide. But my tricks were not as consistent and leveled out, sometimes the turn was tooo loose, I didn't love the pop timing on the highs, and the wheelbite on forged is worse than Thunders for me. So I stay on what is working the best. Don't be fooled by the marketing!

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #459 on: October 05, 2022, 11:42:05 PM »
I've also been going back and forth between indy and thunder. But i've given Indy's some proper time now, and swapped the top bushing out for a harder one. My problem with indy's is that they are so turny that it screws up the setup for say hitting a ledge. But having a stiffer top bushing actually helped with some stability.

MONS 56K

• Rep: 6
« Reply #460 on: October 06, 2022, 03:02:30 AM »
I've been in the same boat switching between Indy's and Thunder's every time there is a hair across my ass.
As of recently I've removed the bottom washer on my forged plate thunders and I couldn't be happier, feels like I'm bridging the gap a bit. I don't know if I'm still honeymooning but so far it's the change I've been looking for.

IpathCats

« Reply #461 on: October 06, 2022, 05:43:22 AM »
I've been in the same boat switching between Indy's and Thunder's every time there is a hair across my ass.
As of recently I've removed the bottom washer on my forged plate thunders and I couldn't be happier, feels like I'm bridging the gap a bit. I don't know if I'm still honeymooning but so far it's the change I've been looking for.

you are, good on you for acknowledging that as a possibility.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #462 on: October 06, 2022, 06:41:53 AM »
My madness has mostly been shoes. I was rotating between Tiagos and 440s depending on the day and for some reason would feel I couldn't pop nollie tricks as high or back tail as high in Tiagos. Tried my old Half Cabs yesterday and was convinced there was a big difference, but my flick is far worse. So I spent 5 hours skating with 4 of it switching shoes and doing the same few tricks.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #463 on: October 06, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
Best thing I ever did regarding shoe madness was only skate one pair of shoes until they're done and only after that switch. I do the same thing with setups. I suck bad enough as it is. I don't need the adjustment period to different shoes and setups every session.

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #464 on: October 06, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
I got the madness, and wanted to try out all sorts of different combos and sizes, and when they wouldn't work out I felt pretty guilty about hoarding gear and not using it, but I managed to set up 2 decent boards, made a setup for my kid, and Im getting some parts together for a Christmas complete for Christmas that I'm hoping will be the one..... Still have a few parts stashed though.
I know we all have to take it day by day.
Now let's all take part in Serenity.
Just call me Daddy.

IpathCats

« Reply #465 on: October 07, 2022, 05:24:28 AM »
My madness has gone from different truck brands to bouncing around on different types of indy's. Is this an improvement? Parts of me still want some thunder/venture snap in my life, but I just keep reminding myself that the sacrifices in turn/grind are not worth it. that seems to be working.

But now I'm between 144s and 149s, cant figure out what weight/height i want. and I cant decide between standard or hard black bushings, which is something i thought i figured out YEARS ago. I just bought a set of 149 standards thinking i would like the heft because the 144 ti's were kinda unwieldy in the air, but i was wrong, way too heavy. So now im back on 149 ti's with 1/16th risers to make them roughly the height of standards. Was swapping between 54 and 56mm classics too which is affecting the height/popfeel. AHHHHHH! please make this stop lol

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #466 on: October 07, 2022, 06:20:06 AM »
Hahaha...  Sounds like me.
I was stuck on Ventures for a while but always wanted a bit more turn.
Went Thunders, Royals, and eventually Indy Titaniums....
The indy's felt all around good but madness came in for the mids specifically the forged hollow mids and something about them just feels right....
Much lower than I used to skate but no ghost pop and I can still ollie as high without extra effort.
Something just works.....
Also changed to South Central decks instead of Dwindle so higher kicks and deeper concave....

LebowskisRug

« Reply #467 on: October 07, 2022, 07:15:10 AM »
My madness has gone from different truck brands to bouncing around on different types of indy's. Is this an improvement? Parts of me still want some thunder/venture snap in my life, but I just keep reminding myself that the sacrifices in turn/grind are not worth it. that seems to be working.

But now I'm between 144s and 149s, cant figure out what weight/height i want. and I cant decide between standard or hard black bushings, which is something i thought i figured out YEARS ago. I just bought a set of 149 standards thinking i would like the heft because the 144 ti's were kinda unwieldy in the air, but i was wrong, way too heavy. So now im back on 149 ti's with 1/16th risers to make them roughly the height of standards. Was swapping between 54 and 56mm classics too which is affecting the height/popfeel. AHHHHHH! please make this stop lol

My favorite Indy's were Ti hangers on cast plates. Lighter than hollows and they don't sound different cuz the axle isn't hollow.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #468 on: October 07, 2022, 07:21:49 AM »

I’ve been here before. Here’s what I did. Put the larger wheels on the lighter trucks and mount them with risers on one board. Put the heavier trucks with the smaller wheels on another board. Now they’re both roughly the same. Then you can grab a setup based off the terrain you’re riding in reference to the wheels and after a few curb sessions with the heavier trucks they won’t feel so heavy. Set it and forget it.

IpathCats

« Reply #469 on: October 07, 2022, 07:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My favorite Indy's were Ti hangers on cast plates. Lighter than hollows and they don't sound different cuz the axle isn't hollow.

I almost did this last night before i just put the ti's on with 1/16th risers
might have to give this a shot next

I’ve been here before. Here’s what I did. Put the larger wheels on the lighter trucks and mount them with risers on one board. Put the heavier trucks with the smaller wheels on another board. Now they’re both roughly the same. Then you can grab a setup based off the terrain you’re riding in reference to the wheels and after a few curb sessions with the heavier trucks they won’t feel so heavy. Set it and forget it.

The last thing i want is multiple "regular" boards. I've done this before when trying to compare things, and i feel like thats when im at my PEAK MADNESS. i have a lil quiver, but its just me regular board, zip zinger, polarizer, and a grimple football with soft wheels for crusty spots and dorking around.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #470 on: October 07, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
Think of it as one for home and one for the “office “? ;D

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #471 on: October 07, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
I've gotten a new madness... My mind has come to the conclusion that 8.25 trucks suck. Its a "newer" size, so it cant be good. Therefore I'm considering to buy a pair of Thunder 147 (8.0" trucks) and just be done with it. Even tho I consider sizing up. I actually have 3 pairs of Thunder 148's. And the latest pair actually hangar then the rest, by 2mm... Production variance anyone? :D

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #472 on: October 07, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »
All truck sizes are completely arbitrary. The newest models have the freshest molds and will presumably feature the least variance between individual trucks of the same size. Run what ‘ya brung.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2022, 09:38:23 AM »
I've gotten a new madness... My mind has come to the conclusion that 8.25 trucks suck. Its a "newer" size, so it cant be good.

Could not be further from the truth.

Run what ‘ya brung.

Hahaha...  Sounds like me.

The indy's felt all around good but madness came in for the mids specifically the forged hollow mids and something about them just feels right....

Much lower than I used to skate but no ghost pop and I can still ollie as high without extra effort.
Something just works.....

Yeah, there is something about them that's got me as well...I've been on them for a minute and swapped some trucks around and even ti indys (same bushings) don't feel as good as the Forged Mids it's the height and different geo. The Royals are a very close second to the forged mids.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2022, 10:54:40 AM »
I tried Mids recently again (friend had a set, was getting rid of them) and my pop felt really anemic compared to what I remembered. I wonder if the forged version would feel better since they're not boat anchors. But I really do like basically everything about Thunders and now have 148 and 149 hangers.

IpathCats

« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
 Full ti's on thin risers still felt too light in the air and my board sounded.... off. I put the 149 ti hangers on cast baseplates. couple driveway tricks felt alright, wish me luck at the park this afternoon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2022, 12:18:00 PM »
I've always run Team/cast plates and ti hangers on thunders, best of everything. Not surprised it works with Indys. Personally the kingpin, to me, is the thing I want hollow the most as they're so heavy.

As for pop feel on forged mids, it doesn't feel that much different to me, we're talking 1.5mm to regular mds, you could try smaller wheels and see if that fixes anything before double dipping. I run my forged mids with 51m wheels as putting normal 52mm+ wheels on a low truck defeats the purpose...and let's be real here, 50.5mm is a low truck (for what NHS offers), not a mid.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 04:30:32 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2022, 01:30:55 PM »
Word yah I don't see myself ever wanting less than 52 to start with, but I usually run wheels until they're about 50 or so.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2022, 02:56:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Okay, this is interesting AF. So if I for some reason wanted the same setup. I’d have to get a set of Hollow Standards and the Forged TI, and then swap the plates and effectively make a set of Forged Hollows and a set of TI Standards?
Not gonna lie, it’s tempting, as I’d like very much to be free of using a riser with 56mm wheels, and the set of Forged Hollows could be set up for a cruiser, where I’m not so nit picky, cause I’ll have to use risers anyway.
But, it’s 216€\211$ worth of trucks.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #479 on: October 07, 2022, 03:07:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Okay, this is interesting AF. So if I for some reason wanted the same setup. I’d have to get a set of Hollow Standards and the Forged TI, and then swap the plates and effectively make a set of Forged Hollows and a set of TI Standards?
Not gonna lie, it’s tempting, as I’d like very much to be free of using a riser with 56mm wheels, and the set of Forged Hollows could be set up for a cruiser, where I’m not so nit picky, cause I’ll have to use risers anyway.
But, it’s 216€\211$ worth of trucks.

Indy makes cast hollows just get those and call it a day