Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 42695 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2023, 07:41:25 PM »
Anyone here ever had a cup of Turkish coffee?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #391 on: September 12, 2023, 09:43:59 PM »
yes, it's like espresso with sand in it.....but it's not sand....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2023, 04:42:32 AM »

I grew up on the stuff. It is good but every single person who has tried and they were not Greek or Turkish gave the same feedback as @J....soy....
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2023, 05:10:36 AM »
I had it once, from a middle eastern restaurant in a strip mall that my ex and I were picking up to go food.

I figured that I had just got, like, the end of the pot, at the end of the day, where they had let some of the grounds seep into the coffee.  Then I googled Turkish coffee and saw that it generally has debris in it.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but it gave me the caffeine boost I needed that night.

And who knows? Maybe I didn't get their best cup, being at the end of the day and whatnot. I'd like to give it its proper day in court from an esteemed Turkish coffee vendor one day.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2023, 05:49:13 AM »

Yes, ordered it black & the waiter laughed at me & so did my wife. Drank it but my goodness.

Would drink again! Just not black….

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #395 on: September 13, 2023, 07:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, ordered it black & the waiter laughed at me & so did my wife. Drank it but my goodness.

Would drink again! Just not black….

I am pretty sure it is meant to be drank black, or with sugar i.e. no milk. The coffee generally does not hit as much as an espresso. It is actually the weakest coffee you can have. This is because of the roast level where a good portion of the caffeine is killed. I have been drinking this coffee since I was 8 yo. When I first tried Nescafe in my teens, it felt like I was on speed. My hometown used to have at least 5 roasters in the town centre and every morning they would prepare a new batch. The aroma was something else/incredible.

Edit: Re: the sediment thing. Once served the coffee, you are meant to let it set until it is at drinkable temperature. By that time most of the ground coffee should have set. I must add here that sipping this coffee is usually done in a "slurping" fashion, meaning that you do not really tip the cup to the side but instead suck the supernatant fluid.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #396 on: September 13, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »
I had Turkish coffee in one of those classic "Greek" cups at a falafel place. Gritty, boiling hot black coffee consumed at a sun-facing window seat with sand-like falafel and too much red sauce... just how it's supposed to be. 

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #397 on: September 14, 2023, 10:06:56 PM »
I need to get back to making a brew with cinnamon,cloves, ginger etc.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2023, 04:33:45 AM »

For whatever reason when I moved to my new spot I started saving coffee bags. I guess I wanted to visually see how much I consume per year. Hope I’m not the only one hoarding bags, but I might be.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2023, 04:58:29 AM »
$1,666.420

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2023, 06:53:44 AM »

For whatever reason when I moved to my new spot I started saving coffee bags. I guess I wanted to visually see how much I consume per year. Hope I’m not the only one hoarding bags, but I might be.

haha, hobbies certainly can lead to bouts of madness.  I don't keep any bags, but I do cut out the labels from really good lots. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »
my local would refill the bags which is a good idea.  For awhile when I drove around for part of my job, I'd just buy coffee and throw the cups in the passenger side.  You realize pretty fast how much you drink and the idea of shit going into a landfill.  I've got a decent commuter cup now and try not to ever buy a cup. 

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2023, 06:41:26 AM »

i find this so cool lol kinda wish i kept some bags now. how fast are you going thru a bag? a typical 300g bag lasts me 15 days (I do 20g coffee, 320 g water for my daily pour-over recipe)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2023, 11:00:47 PM »
Looks like a Puleo project in the making….

heinzketchup

• Rep: 55
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2023, 11:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i find this so cool lol kinda wish i kept some bags now. how fast are you going thru a bag? a typical 300g bag lasts me 15 days (I do 20g coffee, 320 g water for my daily pour-over recipe)

will start now, i go through a lot of bags, also motivates me to buy some more variety, i usually stick to two different roasters.
i do 20 g coffee to 300 g water, v 60 pour over

hmmoookay

• Rep: 70
  • content nausea
« Reply #405 on: September 19, 2023, 03:18:30 AM »
I'd call myself a coffee hobbyist; never worked as a barista or anything but have always enjoyed trying to make good coffee at home and exploring how things can be made. Gotta say, as I'm sitting here sipping it, starbucks instant is not the most terrible thing in the world. Feelings about the company aside, it's been really nice to let go of my routine a little bit to just get a little caffeine in quickly. Especially on mornings like today where I'm trying to get back in an early morning run groove.

Got me thinking though; anyone out there have any interesting things they do with instant? I recently saw a video about adding some cold water to the grounds before adding hot to reduce the chance of burning them, and placebo or not that has provided a bit of a smoother cup. Anything else worth trying?

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #406 on: September 19, 2023, 10:29:23 AM »
Looks like a Puleo project in the making….
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1415
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2023, 10:50:55 AM »
Bought close to 9 lbs of different local roasts to take on my move. Mad coffee. Im debating whether to vacuum seal and freeze the beans, saving my favorite blends for special occasions, supplementing with other new england oriented stuff
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2023, 12:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m about a bag a week give or take depending on bag size. My usual is 18g coffee and 280g of water, also a pour over via v60. I make 2-3 coffees a day.

Recently I got to know someone with a whole sale account so I just picked up four bags at cost, which is great. These 340g bags end up costing me $14 or so.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: September 19, 2023, 10:55:04 PM »
Which brands are you liking? 

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #410 on: September 20, 2023, 12:21:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I’m about a bag a week give or take depending on bag size. My usual is 18g coffee and 280g of water, also a pour over via v60. I make 2-3 coffees a day.

Recently I got to know someone with a whole sale account so I just picked up four bags at cost, which is great. These 340g bags end up costing me $14 or so.

Damn! This is honestly cool. This reminds me of Nicholas Felton a.k.a. Feltron. He publishes an annual report on his life - how many conversations had, miles traveled, pictures taken, etc. He gets deep into the minutiae of his life and it’s popular in some corners of the internet.

This looks like a helpful gauge to see what brands & roasts you kept coming back to, which ones you might’ve forgotten about, all without only relying on your memory alone.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2023, 06:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Damn! This is honestly cool. This reminds me of Nicholas Felton a.k.a. Feltron. He publishes an annual report on his life - how many conversations had, miles traveled, pictures taken, etc. He gets deep into the minutiae of his life and it’s popular in some corners of the internet.

This looks like a helpful gauge to see what brands & roasts you kept coming back to, which ones you might’ve forgotten about, all without only relying on your memory alone.

Thanks for the Feltron reminder. I had forgotten about him but I remember years back loving his annual reports.

As for my stack, it does help jog the memory by saving them and looking back. Going forward I think I’m gonna write notes on the backside for better recalling favourites or things I didn’t like.

To whoever mentioned a Puelo-Esqe art piece my mom said the same thing. I gotta check she’s not into numerology and picking up garbage.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
« Reply #412 on: September 21, 2023, 06:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the Feltron reminder. I had forgotten about him but I remember years back loving his annual reports.

As for my stack, it does help jog the memory by saving them and looking back. Going forward I think I’m gonna write notes on the backside for better recalling favourites or things I didn’t like.

To whoever mentioned a Puelo-Esqe art piece my mom said the same thing. I gotta check she’s not into numerology and picking up garbage.

Your mom knows Puleo?

hmmoookay

• Rep: 70
  • content nausea
« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2023, 07:56:42 AM »

Some nice light hitting at the right time while brewing in the V60 yesterday.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2023, 12:57:38 PM »
I just spent $9 at a hippy dippy coffee shop for the worst Viennese I’ve ever had. I’m mad at them, mad at the world, and mad at myself. It didn’t even align my chakras.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

heinzketchup

• Rep: 55
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2023, 11:28:30 PM »

Some nice light hitting at the right time while brewing in the V60 yesterday.

lovely, i just had my morning v60 drip and it was so delicious.
it really is a joy in itself if you brew the coffee and it comes out good
more than just the joy of drinking it