Poll

Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?

Jah
118 (27.5%)
T-Funk
98 (22.8%)
Louie
136 (31.7%)
Tyshawn
63 (14.7%)
Other
14 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 425

Voting closed: December 10, 2022, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: SOTY 2022 Contenders  (Read 17509 times)

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Re: SOTY 2022 Contenders
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »
damn I can't believe almost 90 of you guys think Nyjah is getting this.

I am very torn at the moment. Tfunk Louie and Tyshawn all deserve it. but which one do I vote for....

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
People are underrating some of Louie's bangers.  That front feeble pop-over above the spiked fence is straight up death-defying, as was the footage from his cover.  But the one that really stands out was the front shuv front nosegrind down that hubba in his last part.  He brought some heat for sure.
[close]

Abso-fucking-lutely, and it's because his execution is so good that they look easy for him. When you see that vs tfunk whos flying around, hanging on by a thread, im sure a lot of people dont quite fully grasp what louie just pulled off so gracefully.

Trick selection needs to be brought up whenever talking about louie, and that last part was a demonstration of PERFECT trick selection on his part. It's very hard to be tech and tasteful while also going big and executing simple tricks BEAUTIFULLY.
Yeah, he also just floats his tricks. Like how far he clears when he frontside flips the dumpster, the fs shuv up that massive euro gap, the back heel over the planter, and that last kickflip over the bump to bar are all fucked.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2022, 01:53:05 PM »
Louie’s getting it. Just got the word

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »
Louie’s getting it. Just got the word

Good

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2022, 01:59:57 PM »
Hope Louie's got this. Website still down...

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2022, 02:08:58 PM »
Believe me, it’s his.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2022, 02:18:45 PM »
Was Louie’s UC Davis part this year?

Anyway fingers crossed for Louie. He’s the only one that doesn’t come off as a cunt and he deserves it. Dropped shit consistently through the year. Not just in the last quarter of the year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 02:26:53 PM by Murge »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »
Was Louie’s UC Davis part this year?

Anyway fingers crossed for Louie. He’s the only one that doesn’t come off as a cunt and deserves it. Dropped shut consistently through the year. Not just in the last quarter of the year
It was USC, and it was this year. UC-Davis is out near Sacramento.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »
The poll is still open over on thrasher

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2022, 03:01:11 PM »
Tfunk. It makes a little too much sense

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
The vote record is stored by cookie and not IP, so feel free to stuff that ballot box for the 'Jah.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »
The vote record is stored by cookie and not IP, so feel free to stuff that ballot box for the 'Jah.

Keep opening a new incognito window for each vote lol

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 901
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2022, 04:12:26 PM »
That’s really gaming the system! When they tally those votes they’ll wonder how SO MANY people voted for Nyjah and I’ll be here laughing! LAUGHING!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »

I looked into the polling service being used by Thrasher and made my own poll. For the free version of it, all the votes have an IP (Internet Protocol) address attached to them.

As shown below, I didn't upgrade to a paid plan to see how good the IP restriction setting is.

I'd assume Thrasher paid (and has hopefully enabled that restriction) since the free version limits a poll to 2500 votes.

Perhaps that setting will prevent your vote from being added to the total tally if you are using a cookie bypass or "something else" to allow multiple votes from the same IP. Yes, someone could totally wreck this poll if they use the right methods, so it probably shouldn't be too trusted as the people's vote.

Anyways, this is probably one of the toughest SOTY decision years I've ever paid attention to, so props to whoever takes it.  T-Funk's part makes me want to skate, Nyjah's abilities are mind blowing, Tyshawn's pop is next level, and Louie's finesse can't be touched.

Hopefully we get to see one of those videos where a bunch of pros, ams, filmers, photographers, and industry people are asked who they think should take it this year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:00:52 PM by tkp »

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2022, 06:35:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I looked into the polling service being used by Thrasher and made my own poll. For the free version of it, all the votes have an IP (Internet Protocol) address attached to them.

As shown below, I didn't upgrade to a paid plan to see how good the IP restriction setting is.

I'd assume Thrasher paid (and has hopefully enabled that restriction) since the free version limits a poll to 2500 votes.

Perhaps that setting will prevent your vote from being added to the total tally if you are using a cookie bypass or "something else" to allow multiple votes from the same IP. Yes, someone could totally wreck this poll if they use the right methods, so it probably shouldn't be too trusted as the people's vote.

Anyways, this is probably one of the toughest SOTY decision years I've ever paid attention to, so props to whoever takes it.  T-Funk's part makes me want to skate, Nyjah's abilities are mind blowing, Tyshawn's pop is next level, and Louie's finesse can't be touched.

Hopefully we get to see one of those videos where a bunch of pros, ams, filmers, photographers, and industry people are asked who they think should take it this year.

It would be rad that, if whomever wins, they all go on a soty trip together. Can’t imagine them all skating together, let alone for multiple days, but that would be some top-notch ‘tent.

Marv

• Rep: 101
« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2022, 06:57:50 PM »
Tfunk did the craziest trick ever done at an iconic SF spot. No one had done it before and no one will do it again. That ollie at China Banks will be talked about for years. Many people, myself included, didn’t think the pic on Thrasher cover was possible. Then the footage proved it. His video parts were insane and he did a lot of it going as fast as possible. Raw as fuck. I’ll rewatch those parts years from now and still be stoked on them. He gets my vote easily.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It would be rad that, if whomever wins, they all go on a soty trip together. Can’t imagine them all skating together, let alone for multiple days, but that would be some top-notch ‘tent.

It's hard to imagine any of the 4 dudes hanging out together. Imagine nyjah and tyshawn on the same trip lmao
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2022, 07:18:27 PM »
My personal favorite parts this year:
T-Funk
(Goes fullspeed on 58-60mm wheels every clip, and gets major props for his GX Pablo contributions)

Who I'm rooting for:
Tyshawn
(Unfathomable how high he can do his bag of tricks in every stance)

Who probably actually deserves it:
Nyjah
(For real, his last part was FUCKED)

Who seems like a good person and I would be happy for them if they won:
Louie
(I bet Michael Burnett likes him as a person, because they are both nice guys)

I'm going to be honest though, as much as I loved Louie's FA part, it really feels like a 3-way race between the others. Louie had a great year but not a SOTY year. The other three all had SOTY years.

I know people would think its a cop-out, but I would have no issue with them giving the award to multiple people this year. It was a truly fucked year of footage.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:27:17 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2022, 08:15:57 PM »
People are underrating some of Louie's bangers.  That front feeble pop-over above the spiked fence is straight up death-defying, as was the footage from his cover.  But the one that really stands out was the front shuv front nosegrind down that hubba in his last part.  He brought some heat for sure.

Hate to say it but I think Jordan maxham back 5050 spike fence rail is scarier.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2022, 08:16:33 PM »
Nyjah deserves it, but Louie is my personal choice. I just like his skating the best of everyone involved. Plus, I think Louie would have an awesome SOTY trip.

Louie, Mason, Curren, both Anderson bros…throw in a few more Cons/Volcom riders like Grant and Milton. Filmed by Ryan Lee. Sign me up.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2022, 08:22:26 PM »
Still can't even load thrasher.

Deep down wanted to vote for tyshawn cause if there's anyone of these 4 I want to see a single additional clip from, its always tyshawn. But if he wins again I feel like he's going to slow down due to ego.... idk I gotta vote elsewhere if it ever loads

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2022, 08:41:25 PM »
TFunk all the way baby

AlwaysSkater420

• Rep: 173
  • If you don't fuck with Boulala we can't be friends
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2022, 08:56:55 PM »
My vote went to Jah just because he's never been soty, so it's now or never.
Hands down.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2022, 09:04:16 PM »
Imagine giving SOTY to the guy who gave the OK to use this song in his part

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2022, 09:35:26 PM »
I took the time to go back and watch the parts. I'm voted.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

R$S_ONE

• Rep: 0
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2022, 09:51:22 PM »
I could imagine Nyjah winning and inviting the other three on his trip

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
I've heard from two generally reputable people, with one staying  Louie has been green lit as their guy earlier this year to be the SOTY, and the other saying Supreme ponying up a big chunk of change no company any of the other riders ride for are going to come close too in terms of advertising money.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2022, 09:59:32 PM »
I've heard from two generally reputable people, with one staying  Louie has been green lit as their guy earlier this year to be the SOTY, and the other saying Supreme ponying up a big chunk of change no company any of the other riders ride for are going to come close too in terms of advertising money.
dude texted Burnett Sunday asking who was gonna get it, he said “you’ll find out tomorrow “ and the louie part dropped the next day.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2022, 10:08:08 PM »
Tfunk for that China Banks Ollie alone, the rest was just a victory lap.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2022, 10:10:50 PM »
I took the time to go back and watch the parts. I'm voted.

Come on don't leave us hanging.

I had to vote T Funk because his footage got me the most hype and I can't deny that... But I would honestly feel weird if him or Louie got it over Jah/Tyshawn. I just figure our votes don't mean shit anyways.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.