Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 89288 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #930 on: August 28, 2022, 07:18:40 AM »

Any pals going? The spot is class...plus HDV on the Sunday

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #931 on: August 28, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
I’ve always done backsides like how he first does them and I’m leaving it at that…..

While he does slappy front crook…I don’t think he does frontside slappies….

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #932 on: August 28, 2022, 08:40:26 AM »
Yeah Ben’s bs slappies always looked just fine to me. Even his fs ones where he says he’s doing em “like a cheater and needs to get better at them” still don’t look too bad to me either. I guess it’s not until you really start paying attention and slow mo it that you really start to think “oh wow, if you really wanted to nitpick I guess maybe he does kinda cheat em a bit”.

If you look closely even though he lifts his front truck on his bs slappies his front truck still slaps the curb first as he’s getting on before he lifts up a bit, almost as if he was doing a bs slappy, then going for a bs 5-0, only to put his front truck back down at the last second so it’s a bs slappy.
I dunno, I feel like as long as you’re not hitting your tail or popping your tail in any way in the process of getting on the curb it would still count as a slappy, but then again I’m not a slappy snob so what do I know?

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #933 on: August 28, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »
Yeah Ben’s bs slappies always looked just fine to me. Even his fs ones where he says he’s doing em “like a cheater and needs to get better at them” still don’t look too bad to me either. I guess it’s not until you really start paying attention and slow mo it that you really start to think “oh wow, if you really wanted to nitpick I guess maybe he does kinda cheat em a bit”.

If you look closely even though he lifts his front truck on his bs slappies his front truck still slaps the curb first as he’s getting on before he lifts up a bit, almost as if he was doing a bs slappy, then going for a bs 5-0, only to put his front truck back down at the last second so it’s a bs slappy.
I dunno, I feel like as long as you’re not hitting your tail or popping your tail in any way in the process of getting on the curb it would still count as a slappy, but then again I’m not a slappy snob so what do I know?

i think ben misunderstood what people mean by its cheating to lift your back truck on. like he saw people talk about how its wrong to tictac onto the curb. what he was originally dooing was on the right path. and then he changed it completely wrong but going back truck first. and now in the 2nd video it seems hes stil too stuck up on not putting any weight over the front truck cause he thinks thats wrong and thats why he struggled so much to get on there.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #934 on: August 28, 2022, 09:32:48 AM »
Expand Quote
I normally don’t watch any YT vloggers stuff, but the title got me:

Spoiler.
He cheats, truck lifts, and doesn’t get on all the way. Please, anyone trying to learn slappies, DONT learn them from this!
Watch the Hartsel videos to learn them correctly.
[close]

Yeah love this one

As far as I am concerned, this is the definitive how-to video for slappies. I was struggling with frontside for years, and I haven't got them down as smooth and consistent as Jef does, but studying his technique is what unlocked them for me. And the absolutely effortless frontside slappies that his friends in that video do are inspirational. My goal is to work to that.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #935 on: August 28, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think ben misunderstood what people mean by its cheating to lift your back truck on. like he saw people talk about how its wrong to tictac onto the curb. what he was originally dooing was on the right path. and then he changed it completely wrong but going back truck first. and now in the 2nd video it seems hes stil too stuck up on not putting any weight over the front truck cause he thinks thats wrong and thats why he struggled so much to get on there.
His front truck still hits first though on the ones he was doing “wrong”, it’s just he lifts his back trucks a bit after his front truck hits so it makes it look like he’s getting in back truck first when really his front truck hits first before he quickly lifts up. So in essence it should still be a legit bs slappy, just one that doesn’t look legit, no?
I don’t know, all I know is coming into a thread to read and talk about slappies is a nice change and nice cleanse of the eyeballs after reading three pages straight of an insecure industry head victimizing himself and trying to derail a thread about a female skater turning pro and turn it into a “me, me, me” fest ::COUGH:: BRINK ::COUGH::

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #936 on: August 28, 2022, 10:49:47 AM »
Cross locked backside counts if you’re happy with it. I will say cross locked frontside (front toe/rear heel) is fucking beautiful. I wish I could do them, but I either get lazy smiths or bail. I’d gladly trade fronts heel locked for those.
Fuck it. I’m gonna go play on my curbs now. Maybe today will be the day.
Really? I think cross locked fronts feel weird and scary. I do them every now and then by accident but I don’t like them. To each their own tho

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #937 on: August 28, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »
Just for the record, I wasn’t trying to roast the guy just when you say stop doing these wrong and then proceed to do them wrong…
Anyhow, if you want to learn slappies I highly suggest learning these since they will teach you about carving into them, weight distribution, and foot placement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hxJL-u4PI&feature=youtu.be

BTW yes, I do know these are all shit landings and horrible angles. That’s why they’re labeled trash.

*edit they are not called slappies because of the nose slapping the curb as he stated. These were around in the pig days when noses were only 1” long.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #938 on: August 28, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
Just for the record, I wasn’t trying to roast the guy just when you say stop doing these wrong and then proceed to do them wrong…
Anyhow, if you want to learn slappies I highly suggest learning these since they will teach you about carving into them, weight distribution, and foot placement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hxJL-u4PI&feature=youtu.be

BTW yes, I do know these are all shit landings and horrible angles. That’s why they’re labeled trash.

*edit they are not called slappies because of the nose slapping the curb as he stated. These were around in the pig days when noses were only 1” long.

I want to learn these now, they look so clean

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #939 on: August 28, 2022, 04:21:59 PM »
Go fast, get on the fucking curb however you can, and hold on for as long as you can.

ffs.

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #940 on: August 28, 2022, 04:46:30 PM »
I can't believe Wane Brady started this post. That guy is trash. I'm not posting here anymore. I didn't realize that's the guy that started this thread.  I need to remove all my comments here. Now I know.

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
« Reply #941 on: August 28, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #942 on: August 28, 2022, 06:59:02 PM »
Since I sent this on a shitty tangent, I’m going to bring it back around with this gem:

Enjoy. Go hit some curbs and act like a fool. It’s fun.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #943 on: August 29, 2022, 04:59:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch0sI-3gy1A/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I humbly submit the following masterclass….

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #944 on: August 29, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »
I'll frontside slappy y'all so hard

jebaleba

• Rep: 1
« Reply #945 on: October 02, 2022, 02:30:27 PM »
These are some next level s**t

djoekr

• Rep: 303
« Reply #946 on: October 03, 2022, 01:47:20 AM »
Finally figured out how to back 50, been struggling with that one for a long, long time. Anything bs feels so sketch to me but now that I figured them out they feel really good. Also it's nice to finally be able to hit the curb from both directions.

One thing I can't seem to grasp is how people do those slappy smiths where they only bash the back truck on the curb. I can sorta do them by going for a 50 and then turning my shoulders, but I think they look way better when you don't put on both trucks first. Feels like you have to ride almost parallel to the curb and in that weird angle I find it impossible to get my back truck on there.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #947 on: October 03, 2022, 05:53:05 AM »
Finally figured out how to back 50, been struggling with that one for a long, long time. Anything bs feels so sketch to me but now that I figured them out they feel really good. Also it's nice to finally be able to hit the curb from both directions.

One thing I can't seem to grasp is how people do those slappy smiths where they only bash the back truck on the curb. I can sorta do them by going for a 50 and then turning my shoulders, but I think they look way better when you don't put on both trucks first. Feels like you have to ride almost parallel to the curb and in that weird angle I find it impossible to get my back truck on there.

The way I do smiths (fs only, I still haven’t gotten subs yet) is that you actually do go into it like a regular slappy and hit the front trucks, but only for a millisecond, you twist the lower body a bit more than normal into smith as soon as you hit and push that back truck up on there.

Hanging the heels off a bit more than a normal slappy helps with it too
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

djoekr

• Rep: 303
« Reply #948 on: October 03, 2022, 06:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The way I do smiths (fs only, I still haven’t gotten subs yet) is that you actually do go into it like a regular slappy and hit the front trucks, but only for a millisecond, you twist the lower body a bit more than normal into smith as soon as you hit and push that back truck up on there.

Hanging the heels off a bit more than a normal slappy helps with it too

Yeah that's the way I do them right now, and after watching closely I think that's how most people do them.  Only I still hang on to the 50 for too long as I don't practice them as much as I should.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #949 on: October 03, 2022, 07:26:22 AM »
i was having trouble with fs slappy for awhile
then i got a new setup

old setup:
9" egg, loose as hell indy/ace, 95a 58mm OJ

new setup
8.5", tighter indy 144s, and f4s 53mm 99a

J Soy mentioend earlier that having tighter trucks helps you go up on 2 wheels much easier which is 100% true. also having way harder wheels allows you to surf into it a lot easier. if you have loose trucks, you will just wheelbite.

when you see people slappy with wild setups actaully i think it takes more skill than doing it on what i would call a more "normal" street setup. a lot of people say to me like "oh man your huge board must be sick for slappy" when in fact its kinda the opposite. i just find it more fun and i find the carve into it is a lot easier. I can still fs slappy on that board i just have to be a lot lighter on my feet.

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20
« Reply #950 on: October 03, 2022, 07:37:28 AM »
Classic shape wheels help so much with getting in...

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #951 on: October 03, 2022, 07:38:30 AM »

yeah the more rounded the better to help you get up onto 2 wheels
tablets likely would be the worst possible shape for that

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #952 on: October 03, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »

Moved from Conical Fulls to Classics the other week and I noticed this, too. It's almost too easy, actually. I keep overshooting the curb.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #953 on: October 03, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah the more rounded the better to help you get up onto 2 wheels
tablets likely would be the worst possible shape for that

Tablets are the worst.... Willy grinds happen so much...

Classics roll up easy but the possibility of slipping out is greater.

Radial slims/Conicle spits or bones v5/v1

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #954 on: October 03, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »
im good at slappies and skate conical fulls

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #955 on: October 03, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »

Post a slappy, conical boi
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #956 on: October 03, 2022, 01:24:06 PM »
Finally figured out nose to crooks. Year long battle for that one. What worked for me was putting my weight all on my front foot so I was high on the curb. From there you can pretty much just turn into it. Coming off the curb is still a struggle.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #957 on: October 03, 2022, 01:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Post a slappy, conical boi
youll just have to take my word for it :) :) :) :) i wouldnt lie online about what tricks i can do

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1142
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #958 on: October 03, 2022, 01:34:18 PM »
Stolen slappy valor, smdh

sacking rails

• sacking rails