Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 42673 times)

Jejenhausen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
  • This is good news
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

this "fancy frapuccinos" look back on over 200 years of history and the viennese coffee tradition is intangible unesco world cultural heritage. it ain't high society crap it's what EVERYONE drinks. what you get as your daily "coffee to go" is a poor version of that kind of coffee that some europeans came up with a few hundred years ago.  unfortunately we do have a few starbucks as well, but you can easily tell that somebody is an american tourist when he walks around with a styrofoam cup. also over here starbucks coffe is more expensive than that "fancy coffe house". usa-usa-usa. ever been outside of your "country"?

[close]

That's fine and dandy and all, taking pride in your country's history and coffee culture. Very quaint. I'm sure, over the years, many respectable Germans have had very fine intellectual discussions over their cups of whipped cream. Many people, however, just don't have time for wooden coat hangers, conversation, and little spoons. For you see, people such as yourself value an experience, whereas I value expediency. So while you take the extra time to savor 200 hundred years of coffee culture, as you say, I will most likely be having caffeine-fueled sex with your girlfriend.
[close]
i'm not german. i get it you don't have time for wooden coat hangers and little spoons you're an american so you must be very busy bombing other countries and watching baseball eating hot dogs and stuff. I'd highly suggest you to visit some other parts of the planet, learn another language or at least read a book - might as well be one with pictures in it.  by the way those styrofoam cups cause cancer and brain damage (could be an explanation for your posts).

This, My family is Austrian, I've spent a bit of time in Germany, and growing up in Melbourne means that for me, coffee is a serious sit down discussion drink, often a lot more social than a beer.

I'm quite frankly terrified that when I move to the states next year that I wont be able to find anywhere to get a proper cup of coffee. Americans always seem to ruin the finer points of a lot of little luxuries.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
*troll food*

nom nom nom nom nom

dillanharp

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
I love coffee. Starbucks is ass of course, if you're in the bay and don't know Philz, you're wrong. Also becoming a huge fan of vietnamese coffee.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
Nah....I think Starbucks is middle of the road and sometimes that's all you got....it's somewhere between Walmart and a portlandia skit....

I was at an independent place this year and someone walked out because the beans were roasted not in the back but the next town over....

Gonna try the cold press....any idea on the best way to heat up the coffee.....

Greg Road

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
coffee is vile

• Rep: 12
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
Nah....I think Starbucks is middle of the road and sometimes that's all you got....it's somewhere between Walmart and a portlandia skit....

I was at an independent place this year and someone walked out because the beans were roasted not in the back but the next town over....

Gonna try the cold press....any idea on the best way to heat up the coffee.....

You don't wanna heat it up, it's meant to be had cold. If you're using a French-press you want to leave the coffee in for a much longer period of time than if you were using hot water - like 6+ hours or overnight if it'se easier. You'll also want to use more coffee than you would usually.
It's super easy and often the flavour of the coffee is much clearer, as the cold water gives a more gentle extraction, leaving behind some of the harsher acids.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »
things to do in vienna:

*shop at m.gibian
*visit stephansdom
*have starbucks with pica

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I used to drink filter coffee until I figured out that it's basically crap compared to Italian coffee. So now I use this

[close]
Haha yeah buddy!
[close]
What would you say the taste difference is between an italian coffee maker and a french press?
Been using a french press for a while and I'm pretty satisfied with it, but would love to try out other options if I can actually taste a difference.  Oh, and I mix the water/coffee with a chopstick haha
Even though I own a french press, I can't tell the difference cus I never ever used it. All I can say is, the coffee from the italian coffee/ espresso maker tastes fine and has more nuances than filter coffee (german way of making coffee). It just tastes pretty good, but might be similar quality as the french press - except that you use espresso powder so it's comparable to a double espresso or cafe allonge/ lungo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungo
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:14:34 PM by _UniversalTruth_ »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

this "fancy frapuccinos" look back on over 200 years of history and the viennese coffee tradition is intangible unesco world cultural heritage. it ain't high society crap it's what EVERYONE drinks. what you get as your daily "coffee to go" is a poor version of that kind of coffee that some europeans came up with a few hundred years ago.  unfortunately we do have a few starbucks as well, but you can easily tell that somebody is an american tourist when he walks around with a styrofoam cup. also over here starbucks coffe is more expensive than that "fancy coffe house". usa-usa-usa. ever been outside of your "country"?

[close]

That's fine and dandy and all, taking pride in your country's history and coffee culture. Very quaint. I'm sure, over the years, many respectable Germans have had very fine intellectual discussions over their cups of whipped cream. Many people, however, just don't have time for wooden coat hangers, conversation, and little spoons. For you see, people such as yourself value an experience, whereas I value expediency. So while you take the extra time to savor 200 hundred years of coffee culture, as you say, I will most likely be having caffeine-fueled sex with your girlfriend.
[close]
i'm not german. i get it you don't have time for wooden coat hangers and little spoons you're an american so you must be very busy bombing other countries and watching baseball eating hot dogs and stuff. I'd highly suggest you to visit some other parts of the planet, learn another language or at least read a book - might as well be one with pictures in it.  by the way those styrofoam cups cause cancer and brain damage (could be an explanation for your posts).

[close]

This, My family is Austrian, I've spent a bit of time in Germany, and growing up in Melbourne means that for me, coffee is a serious sit down discussion drink, often a lot more social than a beer.

I'm quite frankly terrified that when I move to the states next year that I wont be able to find anywhere to get a proper cup of coffee. Americans always seem to ruin the finer points of a lot of little luxuries.

nothing is social for you because you have no friends

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote
*troll food*

[close]

nom nom nom nom nom

and now back to coffee.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:46:51 PM by pica »

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
+1 on cold drip coffee.

really hard to explain why I like it so much. Its different, almost worth ordering with friends just for the novelty factor of introducing it to them for the first time. "WHAT YOU DRINK IT COLD???!!"

I also love a good strong black coffee in its own right, so its not much of a stretch, and perhaps an improvement because cold drip isnt nearly as bitter.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »
my parents have me their old gaggia baby, but it failed to work. took me two hours to open every screw and clean every piece of the machine - worth the struggle. best coffee I ever made. and that shit looks good in a kitchen too.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »

I found it pretty challenging to get a decent cup of coffee in Germany. Thankfully I am back in a city that cares about food and a place where a dude who rips on a skateboard has one of the best coffee shops in town.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
never would`ve expected a machine thats called " gag yah" to make good coffee.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
i need at least one big cup in the morning. i usually wont drink any more than that unless im totally falling asleep. i like my coffee strong, so too much and i start feeling sick. i drink black french press. hot in the winter, overnight cold press in the summer. sometimes i get lazy and will get starbucks since its really hard to find anywhere with decent cold press where im from. there is a nice place right by where i work that blows starbucks away and is like a buck cheeper, but i usually dont go unless i really need it. theres another place that has their cold press on tap like beer. its expensive as hell, but its by far the best ive ever had that i didnt make myself.

i prefer the darker roasts. usually just buy starbucks cafe veronia or espresso roasts. pretty middle of the road, but again, there really isnt a good amount of quality coffee around me thats worth the price. i recently bought a bag of starbucks three regions blend. that shit is really good cold.

it kind of sucks being really picky about coffee. like if im at someones house and they offer me some thats not up to my "standards" i wont drink it and people will say "why not? dont you love coffee?" nobody likes hearing that their shit isnt good enough for you. i bring my presses on vacation. ive brought them camping. if i know im going to be staying overnight somewhere, ill sometimes bring one. ive got one at my house, my girlfriends house, and at work. i really love coffee, but in a totally ridiculous and obsessive way.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
Looking forward to try some of the cold brew coffee I've got sitting in the fridge (still steeping). Might have fucked it up, but we'll see. Should be ready to drink by tomorrow morning.

I will report back.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
Hell yeah. Shit was smooth, drank it black with ice this morning. I've got another batch going for tomorrow but I'm definitely a believer in the cold brew now.

My family are very suspicious of this witchcraft.

foureyedjim

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Hell yeah. Shit was smooth, drank it black with ice this morning. I've got another batch going for tomorrow but I'm definitely a believer in the cold brew now.

love me a good cold brew.  Good on ya for doing it yourself.  Gotta save money somehow.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »
Girlfriend went to work and came back with a commercial Keurig that an office in her building was going to throw out.
She immediately bought Dunkin Donuts K-Cups and cleaned the machine with none of my help.
I'm in fucking heaven.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:26:00 AM by Ripped Laces »

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
Just curious guys, I really want to do a cold press. How many standard desert spoons of coffee would you use for 1 litre of water?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
I googled instructions for it and one of the sites I landed on gave me a ratio of 2 cups of water for 1 cup of coffee and it comes out very nicely.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
I used to drink filter coffee until I figured out that it's basically crap compared to Italian coffee. So now I use this

I just found one of those at a yard sale for $2.50.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
coffee nerds, some of the lamest people out there.

• Rep: 12
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
coffee is gross

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
I just found one of those at a yard sale for $2.50.
nice, hope it works well.

coffee nerds, some of the lamest people out there.
agreed, except if they ride a skateboard (no longboards included). also, i surrender other lame shit like watching tv or even talking about tv shows. fuck that. and nothing's wrong with a big black coffee to make it through the day.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

dillanharp

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
Vietnamese coffee... I'm telling you. It's strong and they bring it to you.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
All of those chicks, but the one in the red panties, look uncomfortable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »

I tried it too...good stuff....I still like it hot in the am but as soon as I'm done I empty the French press and start cold brewin....

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »
I tried it too...good stuff....I still like it hot in the am but as soon as I'm done I empty the French press and start cold brewin....

I think you have it right here. I cold brewed overnight last night to try it out. I missed my hot morning coffee but could see this fitting into a sunny afternoon nicely.