Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 42670 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
Iced black cold brew is perfect for those muggy swamp balls summer mornings.

Went to a highly regarded coffee place in my city today. The employees were the pretentious unwelcoming sort, and the clientele were also quite unsavoury (too cool for school type assholes). Doesn't feel like the type of place where I can just go and read a goddamn book for a few hours.

I get the sense that this is the only place in town that knows how to pull a really nice fucking shot of espresso. It's a shame about everything else. I can drink their espresso all day everyday.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
been rocking coffee coolatas from DD lately... if i actually have the time before work ill stop at starbucks and get an "iced double shot" (espresso, little milk, sugar). its not on the menu/no button on the register, and the employees (especially new ones) didnt know how to ring it in. there is ALWAYS a line when id go and the employees, all flustered, would just ring it in under an "americano" which was about half the price. basically i beat the system.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

foureyedjim

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
I googled instructions for it and one of the sites I landed on gave me a ratio of 2 cups of water for 1 cup of coffee and it comes out very nicely.

I also like to go with espresso roast beans so you get a stronger aroma

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • tiger style
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

got these for fathers day. they basically will make your coffee cool down to the right temperature quickly and then keep it there longer avoiding the whole "too hot, wait, wait, wait, shit now it's too cold" thing with your coffee. they aren't cheap but i'm digging them.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
^cool I might get one too one day.
This night I will have No sleep at all cus I have too much work to do. Thank you coffee for making this possible.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

KOOL MIKE

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
everyone i have ever met that has gone to america has said you cannot buy a decent coffee anywhere over there

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to drink filter coffee until I figured out that it's basically crap compared to Italian coffee. So now I use this

[close]

I just found one of those at a yard sale for $2.50.

Picked up one of these a while back, you've got to use coffee that's ground coarser or it will stick in the filter/sieve.  Got an espresso machine too, a double shot after breakfast each day and that will do me for the day - there's a small owner-operated coffee roasters nearby which does a few different types of bean, grind it for a french press, stove top, espresso machine or whatever.  It's a little more expensive than supermarket stuff, but tastes amazing, has an insanely strong caffeine kick and the smell of the fresh grinds in the kitchen lasts a few days, love it.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
everyone i have ever met that has gone to america has said you cannot buy a decent coffee anywhere over there
You should tell them to stop trying to get good coffee at Starbuck's and Dunkin' Donuts then.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »

got these for fathers day. they basically will make your coffee cool down to the right temperature quickly and then keep it there longer avoiding the whole "too hot, wait, wait, wait, shit now it's too cold" thing with your coffee. they aren't cheap but i'm digging them.

Number 1. The aeropress rules. number 2 i know a bunch of poeple who swear by those things
I still say keep burning your mouth like a man until you can drink lava

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

I spent two months in Europe a couple of years ago. Didn't have a single decent cup of coffee or espresso the whole time. Not because it doesn't exist, but because I was living cheap as shit and never paid more than ?1 for a cup/shot.

Turns out it's the same thing in the US, too. Buy cheap coffee from shitty places, it sucks. Who knew??

KOOL MIKE

« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
America is one big 7/11

KOOL MIKE

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
A good coffee costs just as much as a shit one

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
The aeropress coffee maker is awesome!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »

Ordered a Hario Skerton earlier today.

Where do you guys go for good beans?

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

I have one of these and honestly it becomes a pain in the ass to use as well as a strain to your arms - at least in my experience. I prefer an electronic grinder which works really fast.

As for beans you can mail order from a lot of good roasters. I go with Blue Bottle coffee out of Oakland,CA - GOod organic coffee with all the fair trade shit . I am living in China for the next few months and there's a retail shop that sells pretty decent beans. Otherwise I've had my family send me different batches of beans from the LA area.

[

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

Radness. I have a hand grinder as well; something is so awesome about making coffee without using electricity (depending on how you heat your water, of course). And fulfillthedream, your arms get used to it after a while. It took my gf a month or so to get up to speed to where she can grind coffee as fast as I can. An electric burr grinder would be nice I suppose, but the only ones worth a damn are at least a few hundred $$.

I'm in SF, so I get most of my beans from Four Barrel and Sightglass. I'm not the biggest Blue Bottle fan, but that's just me. When I was in Portland I always got beans from Stumptown, Water Ave, or Heart, and when I was in Atlanta I'd get beans from Counter Culture or Intelligentsia. I miss Counter Culture...their African beans are the best.

When you're ready for the next step, get a scale and start measuring your coffee/water by mass, not volume. More nerdy, but makes for a better-tasting cup.

iSk84thechicas

• Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"

Generik

• Rep: 2
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
Just Coffee Strong & Black as hell!
Shade grown coffee, thats the best it gets.

Ⓐ☭Ⓐ☭Ⓐ

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I spent two months in Europe a couple of years ago. Didn't have a single decent cup of coffee or espresso the whole time. Not because it doesn't exist, but because I was living cheap as shit and never paid more than ?1 for a cup/shot.

Turns out it's the same thing in the US, too. Buy cheap coffee from shitty places, it sucks. Who knew??
I spent 3 months in London and didnt have one good cup of coffee. not even one.
From fancy places to the crappy Nero\Costa\Starbucks
I love coffee so i asked around and even when i was directed to places with "the best coffee in London mannn" promise i didnt think it was more than average.
Spain and Amsterdam on the other hand had great coffee almost everywhere
i'm sure you can find good coffee in London but i didnt have any luck with it.

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I spent 3 months in London and didnt have one good cup of coffee. not even one.
From fancy places to the crappy Nero\Costa\Starbucks
I love coffee so i asked around and even when i was directed to places with "the best coffee in London mannn" promise i didnt think it was more than average.
Spain and Amsterdam on the other hand had great coffee almost everywhere
i'm sure you can find good coffee in London but i didnt have any luck with it.

I had a damn fine shot of espresso at Rough Trade East in London. Perhaps it was just in comparison to the utter shit I'd been drinking for the two months prior, but it was quite tasty.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »
treated myself with this today
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Radness. I have a hand grinder as well; something is so awesome about making coffee without using electricity (depending on how you heat your water, of course). And fulfillthedream, your arms get used to it after a while. It took my gf a month or so to get up to speed to where she can grind coffee as fast as I can. An electric burr grinder would be nice I suppose, but the only ones worth a damn are at least a few hundred $$.

I'm in SF, so I get most of my beans from Four Barrel and Sightglass. I'm not the biggest Blue Bottle fan, but that's just me. When I was in Portland I always got beans from Stumptown, Water Ave, or Heart, and when I was in Atlanta I'd get beans from Counter Culture or Intelligentsia. I miss Counter Culture...their African beans are the best.

When you're ready for the next step, get a scale and start measuring your coffee/water by mass, not volume. More nerdy, but makes for a better-tasting cup.

I think the argument for the hand grinder is it grinds the coffee more consistently....you have more control,over it....

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think the argument for the hand grinder is it grinds the coffee more consistently....you have more control,over it....

That's the argument for a good quality burr grinder in general (vs a blade or shitty burr grinder), not necessarily manual vs electric. But good quality hand burr grinders are way, way cheaper than good quality electric burr grinders. And I think they're kinda fun!

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
the grind from the manual one in my experience is much finer..but waking up in these hot ass mornings.. manually grinding coffee is the last thing i wanna do! i've been brewing a whole french press - letting it get to room temp then storing it in a glass jug and chilling it so i can have iced coffee on these hot summer mornings. i also came up on aeropress for $20 USD!

[

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
the grind from the manual one in my experience is much finer..but waking up in these hot ass mornings.. manually grinding coffee is the last thing i wanna do! i've been brewing a whole french press - letting it get to room temp then storing it in a glass jug and chilling it so i can have iced coffee on these hot summer mornings. i also came up on aeropress for $20 USD!

Good call, iced coffee's the shit. I have a Toddy that's pretty awesome. You make about a pound of coffee at a time, and it's not quite as sensitive about taste, so you can use somewhat mediocre coffee. My typical jam for that thing is Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend. It ends up tasting fine, it's relatively cheap, and you can grind it in the store, so you don't have to hand grind a pound of coffee. It brews to a concentrate that will last you for weeks. You can try using better quality coffee, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Everything through the Toddy tastes pretty chocolatey.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good call, iced coffee's the shit. I have a Toddy that's pretty awesome. You make about a pound of coffee at a time, and it's not quite as sensitive about taste, so you can use somewhat mediocre coffee. My typical jam for that thing is Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend. It ends up tasting fine, it's relatively cheap, and you can grind it in the store, so you don't have to hand grind a pound of coffee. It brews to a concentrate that will last you for weeks. You can try using better quality coffee, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Everything through the Toddy tastes pretty chocolatey.
My girlfriend is really into making Toddy. It's good too if you have stomach issues. It's not as acidic as regular coffee.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
This guy and I have been friends since I got my first apartment in Chicago.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
This guy and I have been friends since I got my first apartment in Chicago.

this is gonna be my life-partner as well.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
Move to the U.S. With DOMA being bitch smacked to the ground, you could TOTALLY marry that thing.