Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215970 times)

mstuntbless and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #5010 on: May 19, 2024, 03:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
What non Indy trucks were pros riding in the late 90s-early/mid 00s when they rode bigger boards?
 I'm guessing it's pretty common knowledge that in the whole shop wall was 7.5/7.75 years that many pros actually rode much bigger boards but if that pro was on ventures on thunders how were they getting trucks to match? Old stock, getting specially made shit just for them?

Or same question the other way when some pros were riding like 7.25-7.4 what's the point of the axle was sticking way out
[close]
Maybe Fury's, they had a stacked team with people who strike me as wide board guys (Hawk, Burnquist, Rowley, Saari, etc.)

Rowley always skated the 146 trucks from Stage 8 or similar and made them last years.  Still did last time someone asked which was a while ago now.

Hawk rode 8.25 boards for a long time, only went up to 8.5 when Riley had a wider board than him.

Trying to remember what Bob rode, but I think when he was out here for X Games, he was on about an 8 like everyone else, only riding those big rigs on the super vert / mega ramp type things a lot later in the timeline.

Not sure what a lot of others skated, but I know people like Dan Drehobl had a struggle with 8.5 Ventures, then went to Indy, but that was way later anyway.

It is a bit of an interesting one, because even most of the "wide board" guys were still only on 8 or at absolute max 8.25 more than anything else, from what people were saying.

Maybe there was a fair bit of the Reynolds type action going on too - wider board, narrow trucks?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5011 on: May 19, 2024, 03:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What non Indy trucks were pros riding in the late 90s-early/mid 00s when they rode bigger boards?
 I'm guessing it's pretty common knowledge that in the whole shop wall was 7.5/7.75 years that many pros actually rode much bigger boards but if that pro was on ventures on thunders how were they getting trucks to match? Old stock, getting specially made shit just for them?

Or same question the other way when some pros were riding like 7.25-7.4 what's the point of the axle was sticking way out
[close]
Maybe Fury's, they had a stacked team with people who strike me as wide board guys (Hawk, Burnquist, Rowley, Saari, etc.)
[close]

Rowley always skated the 146 trucks from Stage 8 or similar and made them last years.  Still did last time someone asked which was a while ago now.

Hawk rode 8.25 boards for a long time, only went up to 8.5 when Riley had a wider board than him.

Trying to remember what Bob rode, but I think when he was out here for X Games, he was on about an 8 like everyone else, only riding those big rigs on the super vert / mega ramp type things a lot later in the timeline.

Not sure what a lot of others skated, but I know people like Dan Drehobl had a struggle with 8.5 Ventures, then went to Indy, but that was way later anyway.

It is a bit of an interesting one, because even most of the "wide board" guys were still only on 8 or at absolute max 8.25 more than anything else, from what people were saying.

Maybe there was a fair bit of the Reynolds type action going on too - wider board, narrow trucks?
As I remember Reynolds goes 139 on 8.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
« Reply #5012 on: May 19, 2024, 06:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Drehoble was one I had in mind. Matt reason and Templeton too and then later cole and duffel but yeah probable they were all just on the 147s/5.2s. I did 8.25-8.6 at that time on venture 5.2s but of course I'm no pro.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1024
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5013 on: May 19, 2024, 12:02:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

*did

He's usually on an 8.125" now and his struggle is 139 vs 144s

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #5014 on: May 19, 2024, 06:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I can finally argue something with knowledge from all the magazines I read in the late 90’s.

Reynolds said his board was 7.88 on birdhouse.

**hey who wants a big ol’ punch in the nostalgia?!!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 06:40:19 PM by JM »
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5015 on: May 19, 2024, 08:25:28 PM »
Nike blazers: skated the mids and loved them. Just got a pair of the GT lows and they are not hitting the same. For some reason they feel slightly bigger

CarcassToss

• Rep: 35
« Reply #5016 on: May 19, 2024, 09:02:36 PM »
When pros said "way wider" it wasn't decks from today minus BA. He had the fists deck which was sold in 8.25, but I think that he also rode it in larger sizes.

I got to see a ton of pros skate growing up given our location. I don't recall ever seeing anything noticeably large, so my guess is 7.75-8 was a "larger" board when their pro model was in a smaller size that sold better. 8's weren't exactly super uncommon my friend was flowed from Tum Yeto and rode an 8 for most of our HS years and convinced me to ride 7.875-8 and I was able to find 7.75-8" trucks and never rode Indys.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5017 on: May 19, 2024, 10:44:51 PM »
BITD 8.25 was like equivalent of riding an 9" or some shit...it was all 7.5/7.675/7.75/7.875/7.9 - it's as if they tried EVERYTHING to avoid making
W I D E  8"  boards...not sure 8.125s even existed back then, just a straight jump to 8.5s; 8.25s were super rare.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 05:33:39 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5018 on: May 20, 2024, 12:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone use a fitness tracker while skating? I use a Garmin Instinct 2 for day-to-day and runs, Instinct while skating but the HR monitoring is very inaccurate. Thinking of using a smaller Vivosmart 5 while skating.
[close]

I use my apple watch for all my workouts. I usually forgot to turn tracking on when I first start skating, usually lose 30min or so.

[close]
Same. First started to record the workouts when I was losing weight, now I don’t care much anymore, but still turn it on to make sure I don’t go over my max heart rate. (220-age=178) :(

What I wish they would add (and I’ve asked Apple before) is to add a distance tracking to the skate workout.
[close]

Yeah, distance would be rad...doesn't for just about all the other common 'traveling' type workouts (nothing for rowing either).

I'll probably use my Instinct 2 for skateboarding and get a proper running watch (Forerunner 265) with music so I can listen to stuff during my long runs. Sucks that Garmin doesn't have a skateboarding activity, I just have it as Cardio which tracks HR zones which is good enough.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CarcassToss

« Reply #5019 on: May 20, 2024, 07:22:36 AM »
I remember having quite a few Think 7.875-8, but I remember some hilariously odd all sizes like the 7.42 Kalis deck (or close) and loads of shit that was like 7.625785. But yah after 8 it was like reallllly wide, Indy's, and "large" wheels like 55's. I do remember the Shorty's team coming through and my friend asked Muska to ride his setup, Muska being a legend let him, and it was an 8 with absolutely rock solid Indy's.

That's actually when I got the idea to measure my decks and lots of the time all of those sizes were just 7.5 or 7.75. I learned to stop caring after a while, but I did catch on quickly that 7.75 trucks were more fun to skate. I did have a decent amount of Toy Machine fists decks with 7.75 Thunders I believe it was the Low Voltage model.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5020 on: May 20, 2024, 08:23:07 AM »
I'm having shit luck with ordering things online lately.. Anyone have trouble with skate warehouse not replying to emails or sending tracking info? I ordered a board last Thursday and haven't heard a thing back from them even after emailing them twice.

CarcassToss

« Reply #5021 on: May 20, 2024, 10:15:50 AM »
Ordered from them twice in the last 2 weeks and both orders had tracking within 2hrs and arrived as stated. Check your spam.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #5022 on: May 20, 2024, 10:48:16 AM »
I'm having shit luck with ordering things online lately.. Anyone have trouble with skate warehouse not replying to emails or sending tracking info? I ordered a board last Thursday and haven't heard a thing back from them even after emailing them twice.
Support an actual skate shop: shoplurker.com
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

CarcassToss

« Reply #5023 on: May 20, 2024, 01:01:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

How on earth was Bob ever on Anti Hero given their strict team vibe check?

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5024 on: May 20, 2024, 01:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I usually do, but I found the same board I've been in love with on their site for like $50. Gotta take a deal where I can. I finally heard back from them after I posted in this thread and my board showed up about 20 minutes ago.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5025 on: May 20, 2024, 04:52:52 PM »

How on earth was Bob ever on Anti Hero given their strict team vibe check?

When the "Hellride" crew first went to Brazil in the 90s, Bob was there, no big sponsors or anything and he readily jumped in the team van with the AH crew at the time.  In those early years he was still so raw and keen, so was absolutely one of the usual AH type of dudes, but over time things changed, sponsors outside of skateboarding provided more income for him and he parted ways with AH to then pursue the competitions and mega ramp and other aspects of the bright lights and so on.

I think in an interview there was a little remorse in parting ways, but it seemed he and everyone else was stoked on his AH years and he still has the tramp stamp and is fond of that time, so it is not all quite as some people might think, looking at his Flip years or more recent skating anyway.

Edit:

Board timeline:

AH from 1995 to 1999, then The Firm 2000 to 2005 or so, then Flip after that.

Brands like Hurley, Oakley and similar were against the AH vibe, so that was around 2000 that things changed.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 05:06:53 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5026 on: May 20, 2024, 05:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I usually do, but I found the same board I've been in love with on their site for like $50. Gotta take a deal where I can. I finally heard back from them after I posted in this thread and my board showed up about 20 minutes ago.

Yup. If you don't have what I want, I go to the shop(s) that have it; really hate ordering from multiple (shipping costs) shops so whatever shop has 'everything I need' at that time get's my dolla. Last nights order was from a semi-local LA shop since they had both the deck and rare V5 stfs  I wanted, on saaaaaaleeeee. Shout out Concrete Disciples with the worst  fucking website design ever  (but great email communication: order received, order processing, processed, order shipped - 1 day to boot).

Still stuck in the early 2Ks
https://www.concretedisciples.com/homepage/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 07:47:00 PM by Xen »

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5027 on: Today at 05:17:10 PM »
Got some hand me down spitfires that a friend never used. They have tread on them and I noticed the newer models do not have that. Think they are still legit?