Author Topic: Woodshop directory 2021  (Read 23496 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Woodshop directory 2021
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.
[close]

Where are you in the world (or what is your local shop)?

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.
[close]
I'm Bay Area in the US. I think the issue is probably that none of the brands that I am interested in buying are brands that restocked or dropped new decks recently, but I think the shops are a little lacking around me at least in diversity. Definitely not early COVID levels but lacking nonetheless. Thanks for the insight.

Who is your local and what brands do you want? Atlas has a massive amount of Sour, Passport, some of the stuff you won't see at 510 and vice versa. Add on FTC and you really should be covered.

topfrog10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.
[close]

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.
[close]
I'm Bay Area in the US. I think the issue is probably that none of the brands that I am interested in buying are brands that restocked or dropped new decks recently, but I think the shops are a little lacking around me at least in diversity. Definitely not early COVID levels but lacking nonetheless. Thanks for the insight.
[close]

Who is your local and what brands do you want? Atlas has a massive amount of Sour, Passport, some of the stuff you won't see at 510 and vice versa. Add on FTC and you really should be covered.
Local is 510, also been to FTC super recently. Neither shops have had a 8.5 in FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND any of the times I've gone in. Pass-Port doesn't seen to be as square of a deck as the other brands which is what I'm going for. I haven't checked out Atlas before though.

Sorry for derailing this thread for what has come to be simply a me problem. I must just need to wait until the local shops/online shops get new deliveries of the square-ish brands. Really wish Quasi would drop some new decks though, I've been really wanting one and waiting since early Jan.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »
would it be safe to assume supreme uses the same shop as FA/Hockey? i got bro flowed some shop blanks

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying to get a new deck this weekend that is larger than my current 8.25 but I don't know if I should go up to 8.5 PS or 8.38 on a not PS woodshop. I want to get a square-ish deck so I'm thinking FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND/Polar/GX however I want to make sure that I'm not getting an 8.25 that is measured with the concave because that would defeat the purpose. Anyone know how to make this happen without clowning myself by taking a ruler into the shop or something? Is there a decent rule to go by in terms of sizing up with companies that have width varieties like these can?
[close]

First off I would not put polar in the same category as those other brands as they are not the same style of squared shape. FA/Hockey are bbs nowadays and definitely run true to size. Quasi/WKND/GX are all ps and also have that similar square shape but I would say they tend to be flatter than FA/Hockey. They also would measure true to the listed measurements. I would say go for an 8.5 from any of these companies. One thing of note is that quasi has two 8.5 shapes one that is longer and one that is a standard length. I believe it’s a similar situation with WKND
[close]
I thought that the PS companies measured shorter than their actual width because of how PS measures the width. or are you saying that because the PS companies I'm looking at are mellow concave compared to the BBS companies, they should measure out fine but I should get an 8.5 from PS to be safe if I want to size up from my 8.25?
[close]
PS 8.5 measure up to more like 8.6+ in my experience. A PS 8.38 likely to be more like a BBS 8.5
[close]
you're saying that PS is actually wider than what they are listed as when you measure? are you measuring with or without the concave?
Just grabbed an 8.5 quasi from under my bed. It's oh-so-slightly wider towards the nose. Here are some pics measured at the widest point.
First pic, holding the tape tight so it's flat across the top, not laying flat into the concave. Second pic, tape lays flat across the concave of the bottom.

Even flat across the top it looks like 8.625". Measuring flat across the top at the very middle of the board was the closest to 8.5".

Edit: The last time I bought an 8.5 BBS it was noticeably narrower, i think it was barely 8.5 measured across the curve of the bottom at the widest point. When measured against an 8.5 PS it was around 1/8" narrower, at least.
I have a PS 9" at work, I'll measure it up when I get there and report back.
Edit #2: the 9" is indeed 9" flat across the top, 9.125" across the concave on the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:47:38 PM by TracersOnlyfans »
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2021, 01:14:51 PM »
would it be safe to assume supreme uses the same shop as FA/Hockey? i got bro flowed some shop blanks

Flip em fo cash
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

cky enthusiast

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that’s not how i treat gifts from friends

Flip em fo cash

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Flip em fo cash
[close]

So noble

I was joking ya twerp
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2021, 02:15:36 PM »

Supreme used to do Chapman before they closed the woodshop, so it could be Clutch (what Chapman uses now).

Got any top pics?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Flip em fo cash
[close]
[close]

So noble

I was joking ya twerp

i hope you feel better

cky enthusiast

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Supreme used to do Chapman before they closed the woodshop, so it could be Clutch (what Chapman uses now).

Got any top pics?

yah when i’m home from work i’ll snap some

ballintoohard

« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Local is 510, also been to FTC super recently. Neither shops have had a 8.5 in FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND any of the times I've gone in. Pass-Port doesn't seen to be as square of a deck as the other brands which is what I'm going for. I haven't checked out Atlas before though.

Sorry for derailing this thread for what has come to be simply a me problem. I must just need to wait until the local shops/online shops get new deliveries of the square-ish brands. Really wish Quasi would drop some new decks though, I've been really wanting one and waiting since early Jan.

Weird, cuz 510 gets the full size runs of all drops in regularly. They just sell out quick. Call them up and ask or watch their IG stories. The FA online shop and Cowtown are usually stocked. Atlas often has more Quasi than 510 in my experience. They also get Alien, Habitat, and tons of Snack which are all squarish. Last time I was there a few weeks back they had tons of GX1000 decks that were square.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2021, 11:44:23 PM »
yea if you're out here and not looking for a gx or a baker you gotta snipe it. I've just been doing mailorder, got a quasi proto from radio in pittsburgh because i was too lazy to walk from waller to ftc
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2021, 12:19:44 AM »
I think some confusion with measurements here comes down to how you're measuring and with what kind of instrument. Also take into consideration that width changes when you edge route and edge sand a board, so your 8.5 could be more like an 8 7/16. If you're using a basic scale (ruler) and trying to read as decimal or convert in your head, you're going to be off considerably.

Wheelbase is measured from center of holes.

Brands might put 8.38 or 8.63 but these are simplified fractions of 8.375 (8 3/8) and 8.625 (8 5/8). Pretty much every width of board is based off of 16ths. Decimals are more easily read by the average consumer.

you know what's even more easily read than those crooked ass imperial units? the goddamn metric system.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »
Another curious one to add to this, if anyone knows where these come from, or has other info.

Trap Skateboards is out of Hamburg Germany, and one bit of info says they make the boards there in house, whether or not that is true, doesn't matter to me, but they also use the "REGROWTH" logo (like Dwindle) and MDCN is a distributor in EU that could be getting Dwindle wood, or could be using somewhere closer to home for them.

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/brands/trap/

https://mantisshop.de/trap/

Dwindle boards (or other woodshop in China until someone works out where it is from)

Anyone have any ideas or confirm where these are from?

Expand Quote

Finally found a 8.125 AWS with 31.75 length and 14.25 wb. I am stoked to say the least. Seems to be from the Dwindle factory due to that regrowth laser engraving but I never had problems with Dwindle wood.

Top view

So that regrowth logo is between the front bolts. No other markings. A barcode sticker which says made in china. On the foil of the graphic side is a little round silver sticker that says "Made with premium north american maple and glue". If that deck is a fake, it is a perfect copy with really good wood and glue. This deck is the Yaje Shelter graphic in 8.125 and before I had a Visitor also in 8.125 which was my golden deck so far.

[close]

Dwindle does the regrowth logo (graphic print, not laser etched) between the back trucks and the board specs between the front trucks, from what I have seen, but the "other" boards seem to only have the regrowth logo between the front trucks.

A normal Dwindle board, as per info above:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »
Looking for some suggestions

Just finished up a girl deck, 8.25 14WB mellow kicks

What other shops make something like this that 8.125 - 8.25 width with a shorter 14WB and mellow kicks?

On the Girl deck note, no issues from it. It did pressure crack badly but didn't change anything
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think some confusion with measurements here comes down to how you're measuring and with what kind of instrument. Also take into consideration that width changes when you edge route and edge sand a board, so your 8.5 could be more like an 8 7/16. If you're using a basic scale (ruler) and trying to read as decimal or convert in your head, you're going to be off considerably.

Wheelbase is measured from center of holes.

Brands might put 8.38 or 8.63 but these are simplified fractions of 8.375 (8 3/8) and 8.625 (8 5/8). Pretty much every width of board is based off of 16ths. Decimals are more easily read by the average consumer.
[close]

you know what's even more easily read than those crooked ass imperial units? the goddamn metric system.
[close]

I'm a machinist by trade, and work in a woodshop, so I deal with both systems of measurements. Pros and cons of each. Much easier to use inches than centimeters when it comes to skateboard decks, for sure. Wheels are a different story.

Are you skating 21.59 centimeters are smaller? 20.32 cm?

i was jk

i skate a 20.955 cm wide deck usually, sometimes 21.2852 cm with 2 1/8 inch diameter wheels.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2021, 01:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
For any of the cheaper pricepoint decks from Primitive, you would need to check the little diamond sticker on the top, as it has Made in...  Either Mexico (BBS) or China (not BBS)  The custom completes are just the pro boards built with whatever you want on them, but almost all / any company budget completes nowdays are out of China.

[close]

I've seen Baker, Alien Workshop and Habitat completes for sale online, makes me wonder if they use China wood for this range of boards.

Current Baker completes are Dwindle (green sticker)
i don't know how it is in the US but here in Europe / France, Baker prices are way too high (150€ for a dwindle Baker complete, 85 € for a deck).
it's a scam

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2021, 02:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
For any of the cheaper pricepoint decks from Primitive, you would need to check the little diamond sticker on the top, as it has Made in...  Either Mexico (BBS) or China (not BBS)  The custom completes are just the pro boards built with whatever you want on them, but almost all / any company budget completes nowdays are out of China.

[close]

I've seen Baker, Alien Workshop and Habitat completes for sale online, makes me wonder if they use China wood for this range of boards.
[close]

i don't know how it is in the US but here in Europe / France, Baker prices are way too high (150€ for a dwindle Baker complete, 85 € for a deck).
it's a scam
Got a pic of the stickers?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2021, 06:00:32 AM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

it's a scam

baker decks cost a bit less over here(80 usually), but these prices are fucked, i agree.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2021, 02:27:34 AM »

Thanks for the pic dude, suspected something was up when the Baker complete was selling $110, and the Baker deck itself goes for $65.
Kinda disappointing that brands like AWS, Habitat, Deathwish and even Baker have started making boards in China. Doubt they are even the Resin-7 decks, probably the regular Resin ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2021, 07:10:28 AM »

Thanks for the pic dude, suspected something was up when the Baker complete was selling $110, and the Baker deck itself goes for $65.
Kinda disappointing that brands like AWS, Habitat, Deathwish and even Baker have started making boards in China. Doubt they are even the Resin-7 decks, probably the regular Resin ones.

Most of those completes are reasonable for beginners and kids, which I would say the market they are aimed at more than anything, some like that one from Dwindle, but others are from other places with similar manufacturing (there were half a dozen that came up on that woodshop report in China), as per those I have seen too.  Not too bad but definitely nowhere near the normal board quality.

I think the only thing that bugs me about them is when people try to pass them off as more than just a basic complete, so some shops will be able to sell more to unsuspecting customers when the board has a big name on it like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of those completes are reasonable for beginners and kids, which I would say the market they are aimed at more than anything, some like that one from Dwindle, but others are from other places with similar manufacturing (there were half a dozen that came up on that woodshop report in China), as per those I have seen too.  Not too bad but definitely nowhere near the normal board quality.

I think the only thing that bugs me about them is when people try to pass them off as more than just a basic complete, so some shops will be able to sell more to unsuspecting customers when the board has a big name on it like that.

Exactly, won't surprise me if some shops start taking the completes, removing the DSM stickers and stickers, selling the Baker deck for full price.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Weird, cuz 510 gets the full size runs of all drops in regularly. They just sell out quick. Call them up and ask or watch their IG stories. The FA online shop and Cowtown are usually stocked. Atlas often has more Quasi than 510 in my experience. They also get Alien, Habitat, and tons of Snack which are all squarish. Last time I was there a few weeks back they had tons of GX1000 decks that were square.

If you don’t mind making the drive, i go to skate works in Los Altos and they always have a bunch of FA and Hockey in stock. Give em a call though their online shop isn’t setup.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2021, 04:31:31 PM »
*Cross post with the skate shit you've bought recently thread*

Picked up my Nocturnal "Greetings from Philly" deck yesterday. Size 8. Not sure what wood it's on but I saw in one of their previous posts on IG said their shop decks were from a new Chapman woodshop?

Only marking is this tiny drill hole between the mounting holes near the nose, second pic.

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
What wood does transportation unit use?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2021, 05:23:54 PM »

PS Stix

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2021, 06:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

PS Stix
that right, thanks. The 8.8” and 9.125”  in the new drop look good

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

PS Stix
[close]
that right, thanks. The 8.8” and 9.125”  in the new drop look good

They do for sure. If I did not have a fat stack of unskated boards I would get one (still tempted). A friend sent me his 8.8" and the shape looked great.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:22:52 AM by FrozenIndustries »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2021, 02:28:10 PM »
Welcome on BBS