Author Topic: Supreme x Melvins?  (Read 3689 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Supreme x Melvins?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2024, 09:30:00 AM »
i'm not saying this to bother anyone, but i don't get melvins. all of my good friends who have musical taste that somewhat aligns with mine are fans of them, my partner is a big fan and they're obviously influential - but i get bored every time they are played.

are they incredible live? if you feel like there's an undeniably great track of theirs, could you please link it. i feel like i'm missing something.

I would say Houdini is their most accessible album. that's where I started in the 90s. I don't care what anyone says Honey Bucket is one of the heaviest songs ever recorded and that includes all thrash, death, and black metal.

But yeah that album is a good jumping point. Has that amazing Kozik cover too. I like the song Hooch because the lyrics are all gibberish.

headtowall

• Rep: -12
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2024, 09:31:25 AM »
stoked to see some rnaodm child hybebeast in a stoner witch camo jacket

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 150
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2024, 12:13:37 PM »

One of my favorite live shows on Youtube. Bunch of freaks making noise.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2024, 12:39:52 PM »
Last time I saw Melvins they ran out of t-shirts so they were selling hand drawn posters by brian walsby that he was cranking out inbetween shows. I got a really sick Melvins/Black Flag poster out of it. That pussy hat is kinda sick but I think i’ll just order something directly from the band instead.

Monolithic Flick

• Rep: 11
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2024, 12:52:48 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm not saying this to bother anyone, but i don't get melvins. all of my good friends who have musical taste that somewhat aligns with mine are fans of them, my partner is a big fan and they're obviously influential - but i get bored every time they are played.

are they incredible live? if you feel like there's an undeniably great track of theirs, could you please link it. i feel like i'm missing something.
[close]

to each their own if you don't dig the music, but as far as heavy alternative rock goes they are very much "your favorite band's favorite band" kinda status. If you like any grunge/metal/sludge/prog band from the late 80's beyond, odds are they are taking some cues from the Melvins. They were freaks even by their peers' standards musically, and even 40 years after forming they still manage to sound fresh among a sea of Black Sabbath worship. And yeah, they are pretty incredible live. Worth seeing if you ever have even a passing interest. It's fine if you don't know the songs.

I'm not sure what tracks you've tried, but I'll just leave this 2011 set they did. In my opinion one of the highest points of their career, and that's almost 30 years into being a band.

Great post. Coady Willis is awesome.  Saw him on a Big Business tour, holy cow was he great.  He's on the latest High On Fire album btw.
Supreme and the Melvins feels like a strange mix, but if it gets the Melvins more exposure I'm all for it.

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 60
  • energy vampire
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2024, 02:17:25 PM »
I saw them in 2013 on their 30th anniversary tour and then again last year with Boris, they did all of Bullhead and Boris did all of Heavy Rocks (the original one).

Yeah needless to say it was awesome, and extremely loud. And Coady fucking nailed it on the Bullhead cuts and the other songs as well as that new High On Fire record.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2024, 12:04:16 PM »
Saw that Buzzo and Trevor Dunn are touring this summer.

If you’re at all interested, and they’re coming close to you, I’d nab those tickets for sure. $30 a head at my local venue

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »
Buzzo is a Nazi and Supreme loves him.

Not to be that guy, but I remember all the heat around them using Nazi symbolism and him interviewing with Proud Boy's founder Gavin Mcinnes and Fox News.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/08/14/exclusive-the-melvins-buzz-osborne-addresses-the-controversy-surrounding-his-2018-interview-with-proud-boys-founder-gavin-mcinnes/

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 150
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2024, 01:46:25 PM »

Not to be that guy, but I remember all the heat around them using Nazi symbolism and him interviewing with Proud Boy's founder Gavin Mcinnes and Fox News.

What a crazy thing to say while actively being that guy

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2024, 01:56:05 PM »

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/08/14/exclusive-the-melvins-buzz-osborne-addresses-the-controversy-surrounding-his-2018-interview-with-proud-boys-founder-gavin-mcinnes/

Not defending, disputing, or arguing, but Buzz would be the most confused and half-assed Nazi if this is true

I mean, the devs for the Wolfenstein games had to do copious amounts of research and studying Nazism, using unfiltered swastikas and SS imagery - does that make them all Nazis?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2024, 04:52:21 PM »
I think using that kinda imagery is edgy and lame, but Buzz is Jewish.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2024, 08:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

to each their own if you don't dig the music, but as far as heavy alternative rock goes they are very much "your favorite band's favorite band" kinda status. If you like any grunge/metal/sludge/prog band from the late 80's beyond, odds are they are taking some cues from the Melvins. They were freaks even by their peers' standards musically, and even 40 years after forming they still manage to sound fresh among a sea of Black Sabbath worship. And yeah, they are pretty incredible live. Worth seeing if you ever have even a passing interest. It's fine if you don't know the songs.

I'm not sure what tracks you've tried, but I'll just leave this 2011 set they did. In my opinion one of the highest points of their career, and that's almost 30 years into being a band.

[close]

Great post. Coady Willis is awesome.  Saw him on a Big Business tour, holy cow was he great.  He's on the latest High On Fire album btw.
Supreme and the Melvins feels like a strange mix, but if it gets the Melvins more exposure I'm all for it.

A Senile Animal is my favorite Melvins album (if you rank favorite by most often listened to these days)... LOVE LOVE LOVED the Melvins/Big Business live show

and man!  that Melvins/Boris show sounds like it was incredible.
hardly art, hardly starving

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -427
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2024, 09:01:49 AM »
I like that on the supreme website the sweater with bootleg Playboy bunnies sold out and all of the Melvins stuff is just sitting there. Seems appropriate.

Colin Robinson

• energy vampire
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2024, 10:20:03 AM »
Spent $62 on a Bullhead shirt, pretty sure I spent less on the tickets for both times I saw them combined. No way I’m spending $168 on a fucking hoodie.

Shirt is cool but next time just go see them live, $60 will get you a ticket and a $30 tee or some random vinyl records at the merch booth.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2024, 10:33:14 AM »
The Melvins are a great band that has had some really atrocious graphic design over the years, especially in the last twenty years or so. Luckily Supreme is sticking with earlier art that is, in my opinion, better. But it doesn’t matter, I’m still more likely to buy a twenty dollar Bullhead bootleg on eBay from some screen printer in Mexico.

And Buzz is a libertarian contrarian asshole. No surprise there if you’ve paid attention to him for a while. Not really a “nazi” as such but also not a guy anyone should look to for deep thoughts on political stuff.

Colin Robinson

• energy vampire
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2024, 11:05:36 AM »
Buzz is just an asshole in general. Their new record is pretty good, best in years really.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2024, 12:16:06 PM »
I honestly would’ve much rather dropped cash on a Raven wearing a Melvin’s shirt action figure.

https://x.com/theraveneffect/status/931250805763649536
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
  • breathcakes
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2024, 07:51:54 AM »

i'm with you, unfortunately. i did listen to houdini and i didn't click with it. i think doom/sludge just isn't for me.
yob is a local band that i really really wish i liked, but just can't get into, probably just too slow for my taste..

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 42
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2024, 09:59:13 PM »

Oroborus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2024, 08:06:47 AM »

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2024, 08:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was at this show and it was epic. Fave by far and I've seen them a LOT.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2024, 02:03:58 PM »
Supreme x the Accused would catch my eye possibly

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2024, 02:47:43 PM »
Grinning (Like a Reseller)
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: Today at 06:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Grinning (Like a Reseller)

Lol. For real

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: Today at 06:40:49 PM »
I think Supreme X The Faction would be so sick.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion