Author Topic: 2012 SOTY  (Read 4628 times)

Monkey_Mcpott

2012 SOTY
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »
Like its been said in other threads , every time a new banging part come out for the year people always go back to last year. Its obvious there's a lot of people that have their opinions for last years SOTY including rumors of it being bought out for David. So instead of constantly bringing it up on other threads why doesn't just everyone went out their frustrations here. My vote was for Figgy hands down!

ben shraider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
Re: 2012 SOTY
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
All would have deserved it. The rumors were started by slap forum. Different people view skating in a different way, so obviously when there's a lot of quite equal contestents, there's gonna be a lot of mixed opinions.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »
Let me get this straight--you started a thread to vent about 2012's SOTY already knowing that people bented about it in other threads and no ones mentions it anymore?  Good job.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »
FML! thought it be an interesting topic since it come up every now and then rather than hearing about how Gay Alex Olson is and making a new topic about Team handsome every 5 min. Mods please delete.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
monkey mcpott got his finger on the pulse

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »
I'll bet anyone $1000 or nude pics of that girl you know that DAvid Gonzalez will win SOTY 2012.
Who's got the balls to take that bet.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
Fuck it, I'll bite just once in this thread.
Bought out? How fucking stupid do you have to be?
You clearly haven't seen this part, so I'll just leave it here:

Here's that part that you thought deserved SOTY for Figgy:

Sorry, but no, its not even comparable. Figgy does new shit down old spots, David does new shit at new spots that nobody is going to skate for at least a decade. How many other tricks have gone down figgy's ender rail? Feeble, lipslide, boardslide, and probably others. Wow, its so goddamned groundbreaking to be taken to a spot others have skated a bunch and figuring out what else you can do there. His part is full of the generic bullshit that people got so sick of that half of pro skateboarders have left California all together.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
that crook was so fucked.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »

Sorry, but no, its not even comparable. Figgy does new shit down old spots, David does new shit at new spots that nobody is going to skate for at least a decade. How many other tricks have gone down figgy's ender rail? Feeble, lipslide, boardslide, and probably others. Wow, its so goddamned groundbreaking to be taken to a spot others have skated a bunch and figuring out what else you can do there. His part is full of the generic bullshit that people got so sick of that half of pro skateboarders have left California all together.

^This guy lololol

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »

this fucking guy

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:31 AM »
I might shit a little bit if somebody boardslid that rail in David's ender

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

Generic?? Half of Davids part was 50-50's and boardslides, that's as generic as you can get. The only thing David had over Figgy was tranny. He couldn't even hit Figgys ender rail. sick part but id rather watch a krook down a round kinked rail than a 50 stair 50-50.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
Personally i think Guy should of won for his tech wizardry as i doubt we'll see a switch 360 flip to nose grind or Smith grind to laser out anytime soon. But all 3 of the big candidates brought something interesting and its very hard to compare across their styles, particularly gnarly guys hitting big rails like Figgy and David to tech wizards like MJ and Guy. Its like debating Jamie Thomas's Welcome to Hell part to Ronnie Creager in Trilogy, both amazing parts that show off two different sides of street skateboarding. Thrasher needs a hall of fame or something to honor all these greats, just looking at the skater of the year lists it covers a lot of the greats. I'm sure if Slap was around in the 90's many people would of disputed certain choices even though all of those guys have legendary parts.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
Personally i think Guy should of won for his tech wizardry as i doubt we'll see a switch 360 flip to nose grind or Smith grind to laser out anytime soon. But all 3 of the big candidates brought something interesting and its very hard to compare across their styles, particularly gnarly guys hitting big rails like Figgy and David to tech wizards like MJ and Guy. Its like debating Jamie Thomas's Welcome to Hell part to Ronnie Creager in Trilogy, both amazing parts that show off two different sides of street skateboarding. Thrasher needs a hall of fame or something to honor all these greats, just looking at the skater of the year lists it covers a lot of the greats. I'm sure if Slap was around in the 90's many people would of disputed certain choices even though all of those guys have legendary parts.

This brotha be talking sense!

But the switch tre nosegrind is what drew the line to me, I could see a few skaters doing that death defying 50 (Gravette, Figgy, Baca, Leo, etc.) but nobodyyyy could replicate that switch tre nose, and it is only one trick but it speaks volumes on how much work Guy puts in and had put in that year alone

And Reagan, that Alzheimer's must still got you tripping because what trick in that entire David part was new??? 50s and boardslides been around a hot minute and half those spots alot of random ass gnar Cali kids would/could probably walk away with a trick from, just saying, the claims you're building you're argument got a shit ton of holes in them, but you're entitled to your opinion if you liked the part more by all means
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:16:10 PM by Kanye Omari West »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
What trick in Figgy's part was new? Its not about doing new tricks, its about the impossible spots he skated. Almost none of the spots in his part had ever been skated.
Whoever said "David couldn't even skate figgy's ender rail," you don't need to wear a helmet for anything ever, head trauma would only do you good. I'm shocked you can even type coherent sentences.

To those with single word responses to what I wrote, eat it bitches:

I'm not arguing for why David should win, I'm explaining why he already did. If you don't get it, that ain't my fault

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
so, because someone does something that's never been done they should be SOTY?!?!  Guy's trick was amazing, not taking anything away from that, but individual tricks shouldnt get someone SOTY.  David Gonzalez killed shit all year. Thats why he won.  Period.  Plain and simple. 

And I grew up being a BIG Guy Mariano fan.  I'm not trying to take away from what he's done.  But he did NOT get SOTY because he didn't deserve it for THAT YEAR. 

Also, that being said, Danny Way got SOTY for the second time pretty much for jumping the Great Wall of China.  Lame. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
Comparing David and Guy is impossible

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
What trick in Figgy's part was new? Its not about doing new tricks, its about the impossible spots he skated. Almost none of the spots in his part had ever been skated.
Whoever said "David couldn't even skate figgy's ender rail," you don't need to wear a helmet for anything ever, head trauma would only do you good. I'm shocked you can even type coherent sentences.

I'm not arguing for why David should win, I'm explaining why he already did. If you don't get it, that ain't my fault

You're funny.

Daveed is super lame with his globe wearing, tounge outing, thrasher worshipping ass. I find no pleasure watching him fly down 40 stair rails, no matter how impressive it is. Kinda like Nyjah.

Figgy is far from my favorite skater, but one should look at all the coverage figgy got last year, not just the baker part (which Reynolds said was filmed in nine months). He had a gnarly part in the shake junt video, skate rock tour, that lizard king supra trip thing, thrasher interview and cover, a shit ton of ads, etc. I feel like he deserved it the most because he was ripping through the whole year in different shit.

Guy deserved it too, but more in a lifetime achivement way.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
Guy also killed it on king of the road in addition to one hell of a ground breaking part.

What else did david do? Granted, his part is one of the gnarliest of all time, but it was one part.

I still stand by my statements in the past that it should have been Guy or Figgy.
I need a coffee

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
Personally, I think phelps gave it to him just to say fuck you to all of us. "oh these dudes think guy or figgy will win, fuck it we'll just give it to daveed! we're the mag, we don't give a fuck"

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -602
  • who knows
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
i doubt we'll see a switch 360 flip to nose grind or Smith grind to laser out anytime soon.

hopefully not anytime soon = never fucking again.  
where is home?

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
I believe Phelps said that he asked Cardiel who he thought should get it, and Cardiel said to give it to David.  I'm sure it's awesome to get recognized, but I don't think Guy is sweating it.  Figgy's still got good years left.  Heath never got one.  JT never got one.  Gonz, Busenitz, Templeton.  Besides, do you know how cool it is, in the long run, to not be appreciated in your own time?  I would give anything to not be appreciated in my own time.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This brotha be talking sense!

But the switch tre nosegrind is what drew the line to me, I could see a few skaters doing that death defying 50 (Gravette, Figgy, Baca, Leo, etc.) but nobodyyyy could replicate that switch tre nose, and it is only one trick but it speaks volumes on how much work Guy puts in and had put in that year alone

And Reagan, that Alzheimer's must still got you tripping because what trick in that entire David part was new??? 50s and boardslides been around a hot minute and half those spots alot of random ass gnar Cali kids would/could probably walk away with a trick from, just saying, the claims you're building you're argument got a shit ton of holes in them, but you're entitled to your opinion if you liked the part more by all means

Shane O'neill does sw tre nose grinds while fucking around

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're funny.

Daveed is super lame with his globe wearing, tounge outing, thrasher worshipping ass. I find no pleasure watching him fly down 40 stair rails, no matter how impressive it is. Kinda like Nyjah.

Figgy is far from my favorite skater, but one should look at all the coverage figgy got last year, not just the baker part (which Reynolds said was filmed in nine months). He had a gnarly part in the shake junt video, skate rock tour, that lizard king supra trip thing, thrasher interview and cover, a shit ton of ads, etc. I feel like he deserved it the most because he was ripping through the whole year in different shit.

His ender was definitely a new trick. If you can show me anyone that has done a krooks down a similar rail please let me know i might be missing something here. His switch game is crazy good too, switch flip fs board and switch bigspin fs board down respectable sized rails is not done often not to mention his switch back 5050 on wilsher 15, has anyone even hit that rail switch besides him. I never once said davids part sucked because his part was gnarly, but you saying he had sooo many new stuff doesn't make sense at all because when re-watching his part for another time i saw the same, 5050 and boardslides down big rails

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You're funny.

[close]

His ender was definitely a new trick. If you can show me anyone that has done a krooks down a similar rail please let me know i might be missing something here. His switch game is crazy good too, switch flip fs board and switch bigspin fs board down respectable sized rails is not done often not to mention his switch back 5050 on wilsher 15, has anyone even hit that rail switch besides him. I never once said davids part sucked because his part was gnarly, but you saying he had sooo many new stuff doesn't make sense at all because when re-watching his part for another time i saw the same, 5050 and boardslides down big rails
in terms of the crook, I'd say 4:20 in this video is on par:

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
I believe Phelps said that he asked Cardiel who he thought should get it, and Cardiel said to give it to David.  I'm sure it's awesome to get recognized, but I don't think Guy is sweating it.  Figgy's still got good years left.  Heath never got one.  JT never got one.  Gonz, Busenitz, Templeton.  Besides, do you know how cool it is, in the long run, to not be appreciated in your own time?  I would give anything to not be appreciated in my own time.

rest assured that no one on slap will be starting a Thrillho appreciation thread any time soon. 

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You're funny.

[close]

[close]
in terms of the crook, I'd say 4:20 in this video is on par:

I stand corrected, never seen or heard of this guy but that was very on par with the exception of the last kink.

Aiden Clarke

• Rep: -8
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »

I like how in this quote you ask what trick in figgys part was new, and a few spaces up you say that figgy DOES NEW TRICKS on old spots.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

rest assured that no one on slap will be starting a Thrillho appreciation thread any time soon. 

Thanks man.   8)