Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 174006 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #570 on: February 07, 2023, 07:34:43 AM »
If you had stronger feet you could enjoy the board feel without worrying about if a shoe has 3mm of some magic foam in them for impact protection

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:03 AM »
If you had stronger feet you could enjoy the board feel without worrying about if a shoe has 3mm of some magic foam in them for impact protection

The truth that dare not speak its name.

https://www.theonion.com/revolutionary-new-insoles-combine-five-forms-of-pseudos-1819565103
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2023, 07:51:28 AM »
I very much dislike drop ins as tricks in parts. Its not that they aren't gnarly or difficult its just... something about have to climb a fence, awkwardly balancing while trying to get yourself in to position to drop in, half the time the board gets handed to them once in position...its just so unnatural/no flow to it.

My pet peeve with this is the dumptruck, setting your board up in noseblunt position and then yank in. Like, you're not doing a fucking noseblunt, you're just early grabbing a worse looking drop in. Just fucking tail drop it or get down from there.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2023, 08:09:28 AM »
The board size you ride should be relative to your shoe size. I wear size 10-10.5  (depending on the shoe) and ride a 8.5 board. I couldn't fathom being a size 11 - 13 and riding a 7.5 or 7.75 board. Props to those who can do it though

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: February 07, 2023, 08:16:18 AM »
The board size you ride should be relative to your shoe size. I wear size 10-10.5  (depending on the shoe) and ride a 8.5 board. I couldn't fathom being a size 11 - 13 and riding a 7.5 or 7.75 board. Props to those who can do it though
Well they don't really make 11'+ boards and trucks so us 13ers gotta just ride whatever. I think it matters much less for us tho.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #575 on: February 07, 2023, 08:23:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I very much dislike drop ins as tricks in parts. Its not that they aren't gnarly or difficult its just... something about have to climb a fence, awkwardly balancing while trying to get yourself in to position to drop in, half the time the board gets handed to them once in position...its just so unnatural/no flow to it.
[close]

Like ride on grinds, they need to be special in order to remain legal.

If not, the user has a high chance of being REGULATED
[close]

The problem is there's no good way to start the clip; starting a clip standing still, perched balancing on something just seems awkward. I'm not calling for full criminalization, but agree they should be used more sparingly.
[close]

That's a fair assessment, never considered that before.
I think they are annoying when there’s like 5 plus in your part but they work well as a clip to divide songs up or start a song with - like use the awkward getting up and balancing part as a break from the music (have song fade out or something ) and the next song starts right when they land or something
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

IpathCats

« Reply #576 on: February 07, 2023, 08:23:44 AM »

You're not wrong, strengthening is almost always the best solution.

However, I do not have the time, focus, desire, or energy to strengthen my feet enough to overcome this hurdle.

I barely get my other workout/PT shit in as it is, there's no way im gonna start and successfully complete some sort of foot/joint strengthening regimen.

The most effective time to focus on this is when you are young, there's lots of science behind how taking impacts while your bones and joints are still growing help them become much stronger. But alas, that time has passed for me.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: February 07, 2023, 08:33:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well they don't really make 11'+ boards and trucks so us 13ers gotta just ride whatever. I think it matters much less for us tho.

True, they don't make boards that big, but I highly doubt that you are riding a 7.5 with those size 13s. And if you are, I got nothing but respect for you.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #578 on: February 07, 2023, 08:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
dont wnat to dig up the sailor silverman thread again but i had the opinion before that trans m2f women should not enter the womens skate contests. was reminded this morning seeing vurtclubs post on instagram about how it should be allowed.

at first glance the obvious thing to everyone is men typically crush women in sports, so i suppose in theory, some man could come in pretending to be female and steal the show.

if you think about it practically though, the world actually looked like this;

there was a red bull contest and the rules definintely were that the person entering just chooses male or female on the form and that would be the contest they are skating. there are no "gender checks" and rules against men competing in womens. this isnt the olympics.

the girl who was defeated and who is super vocal about this loss is not a stylish, influencial skateboarder - as far as "do actual skateboarders care about anything this girl has ever done" the answer is a big big no. i never watched her footage but i have heard there is flat land involved somehow in a street contest run so i'll just leave it at that.

skateboarding is a judged sport (as far as actual paid contests - dew tour, sls, xgames, olympics/world stuff - berrics games of SKATE dont pay shit lol you probably earn more to SHOW UP to SLS than WIN any batb). so that means if someone WAS clearly trying to "cheat" by pretending to be a female - the judges would clown them and possibly not even be let enter. making money in skateboarding has a FUCK TON to do with having a really good image + being well known. I dont think any sponsor would fuck with someone like this (apparently don brown fucks with taylor S which is goofy af) so another L.

the reality is, Marbie isnt gonna come flip the contest game or anything. there is no need to get angry at trans people over skate contest. they already have a hard enough time as it is. 

a lot of skaters are actually not interested in contest skating either. i think they are mostly catered to non-skaters. i do watch them for kicks with my family but i am not overly excited by them like i am with seeing a cool video part with an awesome song. i think the contest sponsors are gonna choose who they believe are really marketable people to enter the contest at the end of the day and if they find a way to exploit trans people and make money off it they will definintely do it. its all about maximizing return on their investment.
[close]

They're not going to decide who enters which category by leaving it to the judges to clown on people lol.

i dont think anyone controversial would ever be invited to enter in the first place - UNLESS they found a way to exploit it / knew that it would make people talk about it more - a "viral" approach. which is not doing trans people any favours anyway.

the red bull competition was fiarly low level shit compared to those. was basically just a local comp - flow level - but in LA that is a pretty high level of skating still.

it sucks because this seems to be the options;

1. dont compete in contests / dont support them (seems to be the best option - unfortunately if someone DID really like the idea of contests they are excluded so its not perfect) - keep it the same basically

2. have trans division (seems not popular at all for many reasons)

3. allow anyone to compete in any division (this seems OK)

4. remove division all together (unfortuantely this means less shine for women - but maybe there is another way we can boost thme up)

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #579 on: February 07, 2023, 08:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Eleven foot board would be craze

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: February 07, 2023, 09:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

True, they don't make boards that big, but I highly doubt that you are riding a 7.5 with those size 13s. And if you are, I got nothing but respect for you.
Well right now I've got a 7.75 and an 8.8 and just go with whatever I feel like riding that day. It doesn't make that much difference I kinda suck riding both

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: February 07, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Well they don't really make 11"+ boards and trucks so us 13ers gotta just ride whatever. I think it matters much less for us tho.
[close]

Eleven foot board would be craze
Woops

Magnolia

• Rep: 450
  • She/They
« Reply #582 on: February 07, 2023, 09:29:46 AM »
Expand Quote
dont wnat to dig up the sailor silverman thread again but i had the opinion before that trans m2f women should not enter the womens skate contests. was reminded this morning seeing vurtclubs post on instagram about how it should be allowed.

at first glance the obvious thing to everyone is men typically crush women in sports, so i suppose in theory, some man could come in pretending to be female and steal the show.

there was a red bull contest and the rules definintely were that the person entering just chooses male or female on the form and that would be the contest they are skating. there are no "gender checks" and rules against men competing in womens. this isnt the olympics.

the girl who was defeated and who is super vocal about this loss is not a stylish, influencial skateboarder - as far as "do actual skateboarders care about anything this girl has ever done" the answer is a big big no. i never watched her footage but i have heard there is flat land involved somehow in a street contest run so i'll just leave it at that.

skateboarding is a judged sport (as far as actual paid contests - dew tour, sls, xgames, olympics/world stuff - berrics games of SKATE dont pay shit lol you probably earn more to SHOW UP to SLS than WIN any batb). so that means if someone WAS clearly trying to "cheat" by pretending to be a female - the judges would clown them and possibly not even be let enter. making money in skateboarding has a FUCK TON to do with having a really good image + being well known. I dont think any sponsor would fuck with someone like this (apparently don brown fucks with taylor S which is goofy af) so another L.

the reality is, Marbie isnt gonna come flip the contest game or anything. there is no need to get angry at trans people over skate contest. they already have a hard enough time as it is. 

a lot of skaters are actually not interested in contest skating either. i think they are mostly catered to non-skaters. i do watch them for kicks with my family but i am not overly excited by them like i am with seeing a cool video part with an awesome song. i think the contest sponsors are gonna choose who they believe are really marketable people to enter the contest at the end of the day and if they find a way to exploit trans people and make money off it they will definintely do it. its all about maximizing return on their investment.
[close]
The barriers to prove it are so low that it could easily happen like it did in women's weightlifting. And as obvious as it may be to everyone in attendance, nobody wants to called t-phobic and open themselves to lawsuits so it might squeak by.
All it would take is a male with the self entitlement of Sarah Silverman (I watched her footage and she didn't deserve to win either) but a man to thrust themselves into the spotlight and steal women's glory.
I could see doing away with women's contests entirely and having everyone compete against everyone since if we're equal, it's fair. And from a corporate standpoint, now they don't have to pay the winners of women's contest the same as the men's, they just pay once. Nora wanted to "not be a women skater, just a skater" so you can't really accuse the sponsors for women erasure.

My unpopular opinion was gonna be that every human life has inherent value but then I saw this dipshit posting Tucker Carlson videos
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: February 07, 2023, 09:38:41 AM »
That's the most Tucker I've ever watched and what a disgusting, unlikeable worm. Remember when he was the fancy lad bowtie dipshit, the heir to a vast fortune and such a rotten little fuck that his mother literally abandoned him? Impressive that he was able to reinvent himself as Fox News' resident "based" troll.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 267
  • often correct
« Reply #584 on: February 07, 2023, 09:42:18 AM »
imagine posting a tucker carlson video as evidence to back up your argument***

***operating off the assumption your argument isn't "i should be allowed to fuck the green m&m." if it is, you are seen and your feelings are valid.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 97
« Reply #585 on: February 07, 2023, 09:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

They're not going to decide who enters which category by leaving it to the judges to clown on people lol.

[close]

i dont think anyone controversial would ever be invited to enter in the first place - UNLESS they found a way to exploit it / knew that it would make people talk about it more - a "viral" approach. which is not doing trans people any favours anyway.

the red bull competition was fiarly low level shit compared to those. was basically just a local comp - flow level - but in LA that is a pretty high level of skating still.

it sucks because this seems to be the options;

1. dont compete in contests / dont support them (seems to be the best option - unfortunately if someone DID really like the idea of contests they are excluded so its not perfect) - keep it the same basically

2. have trans division (seems not popular at all for many reasons)

3. allow anyone to compete in any division (this seems OK)

4. remove division all together (unfortuantely this means less shine for women - but maybe there is another way we can boost thme up)

Removing division would work if real skaters were the judges and they didn’t have to judge according to what a non skater would think is cool (assuming street league needs flashy tricks for non skater views). Contests and skateboarding in general are subjective anyway.  You could argue and would probably agree that Elissa steamer kickflipping the pyramid at Tampa (which you can see in the credits of jump off a building) is much sicker than that guy on cariuma doing 360 flip nose grind nollie varial flip out on a flat bar on the same pyramid.  You get turned off when you see a trick like that. 

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #586 on: February 07, 2023, 09:57:18 AM »
imagine posting a tucker carlson video as evidence to back up your argument***

***operating off the assumption your argument isn't "i should be allowed to fuck the green m&m." if it is, you are seen and your feelings are valid.
I have entered an uneasy alliance with Tucker in order to double team the sexy green m&m

Otherwise that fascist can choke

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #587 on: February 07, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
Daewon has not been fun to watch for over a decade.

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #588 on: February 07, 2023, 10:04:06 AM »
You nazis are missing the point. Instead of getting triggered over Tucker, it's the point that if unenforced, guys will "identify as a female" and nobody is allowed to question, troll the contest and win. Joe Rogan may or may not be more comfortable for you but ultimately the point is if this guy did it in weightlifting, someone will do it in skateboarding.
I say do away with gendered contests entirely. Equality and let the best human win.

Only a gigantic asshole would do this, why should the world be designed around their shit ideas

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #589 on: February 07, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »
You nazis are missing the point. Instead of getting triggered over Tucker, it's the point that if unenforced, guys will "identify as a female" and nobody is allowed to question, troll the contest and win. Joe Rogan may or may not be more comfortable for you but ultimately the point is if this guy did it in weightlifting, someone will do it in skateboarding.
I say do away with gendered contests entirely. Equality and let the best human win.

“ ultimately the point is if this guy did it in weightlifting, someone will do it in skateboarding.”

Why? Different sport. Do you think skaters are like weightlifters?

I don’t appreciate the comparison

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #590 on: February 07, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
Oh that’s a HOT take

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #591 on: February 07, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Only a gigantic asshole would do this, why should the world be designed around their shit ideas
[close]
Only a piece of shit would murder someone, why should our laws be designed our them?
It's only February and this is the dumbest false equivalency I'll see all year

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: February 07, 2023, 10:12:47 AM »
That's the most Tucker I've ever watched and what a disgusting, unlikeable worm. Remember when he was the fancy lad bowtie dipshit, the heir to a vast fortune and such a rotten little fuck that his mother literally abandoned him? Impressive that he was able to reinvent himself as Fox News' resident "based" troll.

I do, and he was just as insufferable then as he is now. He just has a larger audience to spew his bigotry at.

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #593 on: February 07, 2023, 10:28:45 AM »

So this guys main contribution to the weightlifting world is “being trans for 9 seconds” ?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: February 07, 2023, 10:33:13 AM »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #595 on: February 07, 2023, 10:37:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh that’s a HOT take
Thought it might be appropriate to have an actual unpopular opinion here.  Manuals blunt variations and novelty tricks on small stuff doesn't interest me at all.

IpathCats

« Reply #596 on: February 07, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh that’s a HOT take
[close]
Thought it might be appropriate to have an actual unpopular opinion here.  Manuals blunt variations and novelty tricks on small stuff doesn't interest me at all.

THERMO NUCLEAR TAKE, i kinda back it.

gnar'd for bravery either way.

This is what this thread is for

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #597 on: February 07, 2023, 10:50:16 AM »
Expand Quote
You nazis are missing the point.
[close]

Someone once said that Don Jr. looks like a witch put a curse on him so that if his tongue ever touched any part of the inside of his mouth he would turn to stone.

That has stuck with me ever since.

switchfakie

« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2023, 10:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh that’s a HOT take
[close]
[close]

The power that slap pals have over my rep scares me

If you ever need anything sire, just ring 917-692-2706

IpathCats

« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2023, 10:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh that’s a HOT take
[close]
[close]

[close]

The power that slap pals have over my rep scares me

If you ever need anything sire, just ring 917-692-2706

rep is just an illusion a social construct a way to measure how agreeable you are with people on this website