Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 174029 times)

elegant_fox

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #900 on: February 22, 2023, 08:13:25 AM »
It’s kinda funny juxtaposing this transition talk with the eastern skating thread.

I get why not everyone would be into a 12/8 combi bowl when you live in CA and have a high density of existing classic transition features. We only have one bowl that large for 3-4 states over. There’s also only 3-5 closed loop bowls in the state(NC). Most end up being opened up non-flow quarter pipe sections.

From what I’ve seen, a handrail and most exotic street features might as well be a 12ft bowl in terms of utilization by average park users. Almost everyone here skates a low DIY ledge and that’s the extent of their skating needs.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #901 on: February 22, 2023, 08:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Random question while on park talk, are any of you guys’ local park in a state park? They’re planning one here which they’re touting as “the largest open wheel facility in the nation” the idea of a skatepark in a state park with farms and water parks and shit is kind of odd to me.
[close]

the lil skate plaza in bar harbor is right next to acadia national park and its actually fucking sick to skate because of the surroundings. you wont feel like ur in a 917 vid tho

That might be a dealbreaker  :-\
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #902 on: February 22, 2023, 08:32:50 AM »
I know a bunch of old guys who aren’t super good at skating being one myself. Many of them like to get involved in all things related to skating much more than skating. That’s why you have these guys crying for a bowl. They think they’re gonna rip it like in their wildest 80s dreams and once it’s done they’re reminded that it’s not so easy and they’re busy with life and the bowl sits there unused.

Personally I’d love to have a mellow bowl as the huge ones scare me but I’m fine with whatever the majority wants and usually that’s no bowl at all. I don’t like skating parks much anyway. Sadly living in Finland half of the year I gotta skate the indoor parks almost exclusively.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #903 on: February 22, 2023, 09:47:18 AM »
I’m a street skater but you guys are tripping, transition should get some priority at parks because you can’t get a substitute in the streets. I understand if you live in the middle of literally nowhere and don’t have any decent places to skate but it’s way easier to build a cinderblock ledge or a box than a bowl
It doesn’t have to be the giant ones they always foist on us. And there aren’t always street spots. Where I grew up they were rare.

switchfakie

« Reply #904 on: February 22, 2023, 12:58:32 PM »
I’m a street skater but you guys are tripping, transition should get some priority at parks because you can’t get a substitute in the streets. I understand if you live in the middle of literally nowhere and don’t have any decent places to skate but it’s way easier to build a cinderblock ledge or a box than a bowl

While I agree mostly with you, I’m not gonna go to plaza with a million people to practice my back smiths

The fact is most parks nowadays don’t have enough ledges and have a shit ton of awkwardly placed quarters

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #905 on: February 22, 2023, 07:04:05 PM »
9/10 times logos/designs on the back of shirts and hoodies are ugly and unnecessary
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #906 on: February 22, 2023, 07:27:57 PM »
VX looks terrible. If it’s an old video I’ll watch it because that’s just what things looked like but if someone comes out with a new video filmed in VX I’ll watch it once at the most. It’s self indulgent to put out crap.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #907 on: February 22, 2023, 07:38:08 PM »
VX looks terrible. If it’s an old video I’ll watch it because that’s just what things looked like but if someone comes out with a new video filmed in VX I’ll watch it once at the most. It’s self indulgent to put out crap.

100%, and don’t give me that “you just need to film it right” crap. It’s an ancient 480p camera which looks like dogshit, and you’re only using because you’re stuck in a nostalgia trap. Grow up. I’m not watching your fucking VX video.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

quackquack

• Rep: -409
« Reply #908 on: February 22, 2023, 07:52:00 PM »
Tony Hawk never landed the 900. It was all part of a FBI/underworld-organization conspiracy that started over 50 years ago, with the UFO landings of Roswell. They were trying to create human/alien hybrid slaves for a conquering alien race in a last ditch effort to save their own skins. Tony's own sister was abducted during the night, which sparked his life-long crusade to land the 900.

Andy Mac is also involved, his yellow helmet was installed during vaccination tests.
Oh, the places you'll go.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #909 on: February 22, 2023, 08:19:15 PM »
Tony Hawk never landed the 900. It was all part of a FBI/underworld-organization conspiracy that started over 50 years ago, with the UFO landings of Roswell. They were trying to create human/alien hybrid slaves for a conquering alien race in a last ditch effort to save their own skins. Tony's own sister was abducted during the night, which sparked his life-long crusade to land the 900.

Andy Mac is also involved, his yellow helmet was installed during vaccination tests.
”The X-Games Files”

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #910 on: February 22, 2023, 10:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100%, and don’t give me that “you just need to film it right” crap. It’s an ancient 480p camera which looks like dogshit, and you’re only using because you’re stuck in a nostalgia trap. Grow up. I’m not watching your fucking VX video.
It’s probably extra annoying for me because I’m too old to be nostalgic for that era.

Terminal

« Reply #911 on: February 22, 2023, 11:25:21 PM »
Watched a Johnny Giger video yesterday. Dude has skills.

switchfakie

« Reply #912 on: February 22, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »
Watched a Johnny Giger video yesterday. Dude has skills.

nobody ever doubted that he has skill, its just his type of skating is unappealing because its usually slow, its not easy to follow what the fuck hes doing, and bc its so techy, the style is usually bad

switchfakie

« Reply #913 on: February 22, 2023, 11:52:39 PM »
9/10 times logos/designs on the back of shirts and hoodies are ugly and unnecessary
i dont think this is an unpopular or popular opinion

but whatever it is, i have the opposite opinion, i think front graphics are lame asf and back graphics are amazing

i feel like im wearing a work uniform if i have a tiny logo over my teet, so back logos are the way for me

i guess same reason i prefer back tattoos over chest tattoos

cky enthusiast

« Reply #914 on: February 23, 2023, 06:21:09 AM »
if you wear a ton of skate shit ur living in kooktown.. id rather slam wearing a 2 dollar shirt thats a cool color than a gx1000 shirt that cost me 25 bucks

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: February 23, 2023, 06:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It’s probably extra annoying for me because I’m too old to be nostalgic for that era.

Same. I was in my early 20s and paying no attention to skate media. VX nostalgia might as well be nostalgia for the generic VHS cameras they used to film "Hokus Pokus".

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: February 23, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »
if you wear a ton of skate shit ur living in kooktown.. id rather slam wearing a 2 dollar shirt thats a cool color than a gx1000 shirt that cost me 25 bucks

I know this is basic AdBusters bullshit, but honestly it's amazing to me that people will spend $30-40 of their own money in order to promote a company for which they have no stake. There's a whole thread at the top of the page right now as companies you won't "rep", because the baked-in assumption is that you're going to be purchasing clothing with the correct brands and logos to display your personality to the world.

Frankly, as I age I find it increasingly weird that we wear clothes with words printed prominently on them in any capacity. I've phased out most of my printed t-shirts in favor of solid colors and collared shirts.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #917 on: February 23, 2023, 06:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Same. I was in my early 20s and paying no attention to skate media. VX nostalgia might as well be nostalgia for the generic VHS cameras they used to film "Hokus Pokus".
Living the vx era was actually kind of annoying too really. Going skating with a generator and multiple sets of lights or taking turns carrying a massive backpack around. When one friend got an iPhone when they came out I kinda thought oh this is gonna be sick no more of all that bullshit everyone will be able to just film each other. I guess I was only half right at best but still I think it's an improvement

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #918 on: February 23, 2023, 06:41:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know this is basic AdBusters bullshit, but honestly it's amazing to me that people will spend $30-40 of their own money in order to promote a company for which they have no stake. There's a whole thread at the top of the page right now as companies you won't "rep", because the baked-in assumption is that you're going to be purchasing clothing with the correct brands and logos to display your personality to the world.

Frankly, as I age I find it increasingly weird that we wear clothes with words printed prominently on them in any capacity. I've phased out most of my printed t-shirts in favor of solid colors and collared shirts.
Even weirder is all the nick nack shit like toys, mugs and frisbees etc who's spending $20 (or $50+ in Aus) on a fucking mug or ashtray? They're $1 in the supermarket

cky enthusiast

« Reply #919 on: February 23, 2023, 06:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

all this + all the dudes i know who rip just wear whatever/skate whatever.. i think caring about setup and logos is inversely proportional to skating well. skate shop shirts get a pass.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #920 on: February 23, 2023, 07:46:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

all this + all the dudes i know who rip just wear whatever/skate whatever.. i think caring about setup and logos is inversely proportional to skating well. skate shop shirts get a pass.

Agreed. I'm partial to solid colored pocket tees and shirts from my local shop.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #921 on: February 23, 2023, 07:54:17 AM »
Since it's the topic, it's a two sided coin. Everyone wants skaters/filmers/editors etc to get paid their proper dues but there is no way that can happen with just board sales. The only way for the industry to eat and pay rent is through soft goods. So if there is a brand with skaters I like that puts out free videos that I like and I want them to keep paying those skaters and putting out videos, the only option is to buy the clothes or they go out of business.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #922 on: February 23, 2023, 07:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's funny because I agree with both of you but the only skate brand clothing product I own is a GX1000 Bomb Hills Not Countries t-shirt. I'd rather have the Slap one but that doesn't exist currently so... But yeah every other shirt I wear is a Walmart fall earth tone blank or some bulk plain coloured tees I copped online.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: February 23, 2023, 08:47:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The brands I buy stuff from are: putting out videos I enjoy like Worble, or doing something I support like Skate Like A Girl, running a local skate shop , or I just think they did something clever. All stuff I want to reward. I like skateboarding and I think really good skaters should be able to live off their skills so I do my part.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #924 on: February 23, 2023, 09:49:46 AM »
Since it's the topic, it's a two sided coin. Everyone wants skaters/filmers/editors etc to get paid their proper dues but there is no way that can happen with just board sales. The only way for the industry to eat and pay rent is through soft goods. So if there is a brand with skaters I like that puts out free videos that I like and I want them to keep paying those skaters and putting out videos, the only option is to buy the clothes or they go out of business.

a world where skating is just dudes skating blanks and the only videos are homie videos sounds awesome to me, maybe im just a pinko

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1376
« Reply #925 on: February 23, 2023, 10:13:58 AM »
Zero has some of the best graphics these days.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #926 on: February 23, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »
I too would like to say that I’m too cool for logos. 

Too cool for shirts just as a general concept as well.

Too many abs, personally.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #927 on: February 23, 2023, 10:23:34 AM »
Who else be gettin they dick suck in a volcom stone chest logo tee🙋‍♂️

nothing's been the since same

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #928 on: February 23, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »
Zero has some of the best graphics these days.

Had to check the zero site after reading this. Not my taste personally but the current lineup of graphics is way better than I expected.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #929 on: February 23, 2023, 05:14:23 PM »
Who else be gettin they dick suck in a volcom stone chest logo tee🙋‍♂️

Probably the guy who played Aquaman in 2006.