Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 174014 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #990 on: March 01, 2023, 05:04:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Caring about cross locking is nerd shit
[close]
It makes sense why people care about them but I'm tired of the discussion around it. Same with when people were obsessed with wheelbase a year or two ago

To be fair, discovering wheelbase was like finding the Higgs Boson.  Minds were blown.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #991 on: March 01, 2023, 05:11:46 PM »
Alien Workshop put out some great videos but their overall aesthetic was kinda dumb.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #992 on: March 01, 2023, 05:50:43 PM »
Expand Quote
i don't get these lock-in discussions...
holding on to (long) 5050s on round rails is hard as hell in itself.
it's not going to be easier if you're going to go cross locked or heel locked or whatever.
you also have to keep in mind that each version of locking in comes with its respective dangers.
so keep on grinding round rails, lock in as you please. skating rails is dangerous.
[close]
Jah himself says he thinks cross locks are riskier if you hit a kink.

Edit- and I’ll add an unpopular opinion- Ninejah is the greatest handrail skater in history. Sorry Pat Duffy go cry to Alex Jones.
I wouldn't call this unpopular. A large amount of people say the same thing

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #993 on: March 01, 2023, 05:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote
What about anti cross locking to appease those who are so critical?
[close]
I stand by my claim last year that the coolest 50-50s are balanced in the middle of your trucks, not locked at all.

shane has a crazy clip of a truly balanced nosegrind in his backyard park but i cant find it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #994 on: March 01, 2023, 07:34:26 PM »
This is the point ding bats….of course perfectly balancing shit is the best, but until people can do it through six kinks we’re just going to have to live with it……oh the suffering…

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -433
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #995 on: March 01, 2023, 07:47:07 PM »
I just can’t. I can’t do this any more. There’s been like eight hundred posts in this thread about cross locking. Nobody cares about your opinion on cross locking. I can’t even begin to muster the energy to care about this shit. If you are coming on here to post a cross lock opinion please stop. Nobody cares.
Alien Workshop put out some great videos but their overall aesthetic was kinda dumb.
Great post for the thread. Absolutely completely fucking wrong. Best board company of all time.

Southernmost

• Rep: 122
« Reply #996 on: March 01, 2023, 08:33:01 PM »
half cabs: clunky, lots of panels, sits in a strange spot on your ankle. overall a weird and kind of ugly shoe

Went from being one of my favorite shoes to least favorite. Last couple pairs I wore and skated just didn’t do it for me anymore. Still have a brand new pair in my closet I’m probably gonna end up selling.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #997 on: March 01, 2023, 11:09:49 PM »
Hold up one second, folks…
Before we toss the cross-lock debate into the dustbin of history & call it settled, I have just one or two more questions: is there a right and/or wrong way to cross lock?
Does the correct technique change depending on one’s approach (example: FS v. BS, switch, etc)?
Is the cross-lock a technique invented by Jamie Thomas, at the behest of the Vatican & baby Jesus, in order to bring us all closer to god?
Okay… I confess, I don’t care about that last one, but the other questies remain.
What say the PALS?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 09:55:00 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #998 on: March 02, 2023, 12:53:01 AM »
Ya know Paul... Riding a skateboard is a lot like making love to a beautiful women. First, you secure your nuts to avoid slipping. Then you make sure all the finer parts can move freely and are void of any dirt or grimy build up. Then, lastly, you steadily plant your feet and push forth, making sure to push with as much passion and vigor as required, until you arrive back sweaty and exhausted.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #999 on: March 02, 2023, 04:15:45 AM »
Before we toss the cross-lock debate into the dustbin of history & call it settled, I have just one or two more questions: is there a right and/or wrong way to cross lock?
Does the correct technique change depending on one’s approach (example: FS v. BS, switch, etc)?
Is the cross-lock a technique invented by Jamie Thomas, at the behest of the Vatican & baby Jesus, in order to bring us all closer to god?
Okay… I confess, I don’t care about that last one, but the other questies remain.
What day the PALS?

This is why. This is why I pay bulgarian camgirls five dollars a minute to call me racial slurs. I hope you’re happy with yourself.

Edit: You don’t get to move to NYC and call yourself an NYC skater but it’s acceptable if you’re from Florida, N Jersey or LI, I don’t make the rules

Magnolia

• Rep: 450
  • She/They
« Reply #1000 on: March 02, 2023, 05:42:26 AM »
What day the PALS?
Front foot toeside, back foot heelside

There isn't water holy enough to absolve the sin of doing it the other way
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

IpathCats

« Reply #1001 on: March 02, 2023, 05:53:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
It makes sense why people care about them but I'm tired of the discussion around it. Same with when people were obsessed with wheelbase a year or two ago
[close]
Oh god the wheelbase people

You sound like the type of dude to say something like "this gildan t fits perfectly, lets go to mcdonalds in my chevy cruze and blast some linkin park on the way"

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 283
« Reply #1002 on: March 02, 2023, 05:54:21 AM »
You don’t get to move to NYC and call yourself an NYC skater but it’s acceptable if you’re from Florida, N Jersey or LI, I don’t make the rules
in relation to the NJ and LI, i feel like there's a certain radius around the city that you're allowed to be from and still claim to be the aforementioned "City skater". That said, if i find out that you are, I'm allowed to scoff and tease you. Dems the rules.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1003 on: March 02, 2023, 06:02:18 AM »
what about moving to nyc from la and calling your company “917”

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1004 on: March 02, 2023, 06:15:11 AM »

Heinous, also saw somebody refer to Dill as and "East Coast legend" and I wanted to vomit profusely.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

You sound like the type of dude to say something like "this gildan t fits perfectly, lets go to mcdonalds in my chevy cruze and blast some linkin park on the way"

People who don't understand how important wheelbase is blow my mind

Other unpopular opinion: there's no reason to be skating mellow kick boards, steep kick >>>> mellow kick, the only reason dlx-level mellow kicks are more popular than steep is because people get thrown off by the ghost pop skating steep boards but once you acclimate you can do everything like twice as high. I skate indy standards tho get it if youre on really high trucks or something.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1005 on: March 02, 2023, 06:25:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

To be fair, discovering wheelbase was like finding the Higgs Boson.  Minds were blown.

And much like the Higgs Boson, I don't quite understand what the fuck wheelbase is.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1956
« Reply #1006 on: March 02, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »
I got a trick at the Con-Ed banks so I am a NY skater.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1007 on: March 02, 2023, 07:45:20 AM »
no fucking way, AWS is one of the greatest companies on pure art direction and concept alone, sure they are now a sad shell of their former self and had quite a few missteps over the years (rob & big boards, infowars collab, danny way) but they were so ahead of their time. it would be hard to imagine anyone spending any amount of time here: https://cresciteundo.com/ and coming away with this opinion.

half cabs: clunky, lots of panels, sits in a strange spot on your ankle. overall a weird and kind of ugly shoe
half cabs are objectively ugly, but are a dope by proximity thing by being worn by some of the most stylish and cool skaters ever. i never liked skating half cabs.

IpathCats

« Reply #1008 on: March 02, 2023, 07:49:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Heinous, also saw somebody refer to Dill as and "East Coast legend" and I wanted to vomit profusely.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Other unpopular opinion: there's no reason to be skating mellow kick boards, steep kick >>>> mellow kick, the only reason dlx-level mellow kicks are more popular than steep is because people get thrown off by the ghost pop skating steep boards but once you acclimate you can do everything like twice as high. I skate indy standards tho get it if youre on really high trucks or something.

I'm not aware of any popular truck brand making something taller than an indy standard.

Nik stain skates steep ass hockey decks on 56mm classics and indy standards.

Such a tough guy setup.

I'm too weak for that.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: March 02, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not aware of any popular truck brand making something taller than an indy standard.

Such a tough guy setup.

I'm too weak for that.

I thought V Highs were higher? Indys are the tallest trucks? Holy shit I’ve been skating just different kinds of indys my whole life mind blown

It’s not hard, it’s much easier because the mechanics of skating a setup with a high angle of pop are completely different. Instead of relying on torquing your back foot to get the pop you just can jump and drive off your back foot, the slow pop makes it feel much more like you’re just jumping. I had a Goldilocks setup a while back where I could literally tre up to my thighs with standards and 52s, skating dlx shapes for a while now and I can’t get them more than a foot off the ground. I’m tellin ya man it’s the move, steep setups are the truth once you get used to them. Just really focus on jumping and driving your back foot your life will change

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1010 on: March 02, 2023, 09:15:57 AM »
Expand Quote
What day the PALS?
[close]

This is why. This is why I pay bulgarian camgirls five dollars a minute to call me racial slurs. I hope you’re happy with yourself.

Edit: You don’t get to move to NYC and call yourself an NYC skater but it’s acceptable if you’re from Florida, N Jersey or LI, I don’t make the rules

where's your home state that you just moved back to

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: March 02, 2023, 09:58:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What day the PALS?
[close]

[close]

where's your home state that you just moved back to

Pen Island, it’s technically a territory

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1012 on: March 02, 2023, 10:07:45 AM »

better call it ‘fucking awesome’ so the locals don’t get suspicious

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #1013 on: March 02, 2023, 10:25:41 AM »
Not enough people are using the term “getting/giving them their flowers.”
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

roll_dog

« Reply #1014 on: March 02, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Such a tough guy setup.

I'm too weak for that.

Destructo makes a 58mm tall truck. They were popular once upon a time...

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: March 02, 2023, 11:42:29 AM »
Big wheels are ugly

Saw a kid mashing around the city Ollieing up curbs speed checking etc on some worn down like 44mm f4s shit gave me a lil chubby

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1016 on: March 02, 2023, 12:25:11 PM »
I always ride tall trucks with risers but I’ve never sought out steep tails- too much work

IpathCats

« Reply #1017 on: March 02, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »
Big wheels are ugly

Saw a kid mashing around the city Ollieing up curbs speed checking etc on some worn down like 44mm f4s shit gave me a lil chubby

I go back and forth on whether or not i like the big wheel look, especially because its so common now. I think its dependent on the skater/setup honestly. I REALLY hate when dudes have super worn big wheels and dont rotate them so they're all super different sizes. I also think the big wheels with sharp edges/conical sides are harder to make look good than wheels with round edges

But you're out of your mind if you think sub 50mm looks good, that shit is gross.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #1018 on: March 02, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

[close]

I go back and forth on whether or not i like the big wheel look, especially because its so common now. I think its dependent on the skater/setup honestly. I REALLY hate when dudes have super worn big wheels and dont rotate them so they're all super different sizes. I also think the big wheels with sharp edges/conical sides are harder to make look good than wheels with round edges

But you're out of your mind if you think sub 50mm looks good, that shit is gross.

big wheels on sub 9" boards look so stupid. makes your deck look like a monster truck. and not in any good way. even on bigger boards small wheels look better. nothing beats some sub 50mm wheels on a big board.

its just that small wheels suck to skate on...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #1019 on: March 02, 2023, 02:29:33 PM »
Now that I think of it…I may be skating 51mm bones slims out of spite because they kinda feel like trash….