Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173986 times)

Sizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -434
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2340 on: August 09, 2023, 05:59:37 PM »
Happy spanky got sober but he’s annoying and his skating is annoying and you guys dickride him way too much

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2341 on: August 09, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »
I tried to like && but I cant with this guy

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2342 on: August 09, 2023, 08:50:14 PM »
Wow that's really unpopular opinion right there

Toenail628

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2343 on: August 09, 2023, 08:52:33 PM »
Winkowski should start skating a popsicle
agreed

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2344 on: August 09, 2023, 09:17:25 PM »
Omar Salazar’s Mindfield part does all the things you want from an opening part more than any other opening part ever. It sets the tone, has bangers, brings the energy, and (the underrated part) somehow manages to not be the best or second best part in a video. Even more impressive because it was assumed Mike Mo’s Fully Flared part would hold that title for much longer than it did. It was a really good Inspectah Deck 1st verse of video parts.

that part is beautiful

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2345 on: August 09, 2023, 09:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Omar Salazar’s Mindfield part does all the things you want from an opening part more than any other opening part ever. It sets the tone, has bangers, brings the energy, and (the underrated part) somehow manages to not be the best or second best part in a video. Even more impressive because it was assumed Mike Mo’s Fully Flared part would hold that title for much longer than it did. It was a really good Inspectah Deck 1st verse of video parts.
[close]

that part is beautiful

The Blazers certainly help. Such a nice looking shoe.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2346 on: August 09, 2023, 09:38:11 PM »
Love this analogy, gnarred.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #2347 on: August 09, 2023, 10:00:50 PM »

That's unpopular? Andy Anderson is pretty lame

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #2348 on: August 09, 2023, 10:33:09 PM »
I’ve been a loyal Canada Dry drinker for years but dare I say it, seagrams may have them beat. It actually tastes like ginger
I like the Canada dry bold it has that ginger taste but it's hard to find where I'm at, I'll have to switch to seagrams.  I just had my first Reeds NA ginger beer and it is my new favorite beverage

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #2349 on: August 09, 2023, 11:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Huberman is just another credentialed scammer.
[close]

Whats the scam? He doesnt seem to hawk products more than any other podcaster. If anything it seems like he tries to tell people what they can do for free.
not to say his advice is totally worthless, but anyone who shills supplements, the majority of which probably do nothing, as much as he does doesn’t seem very trustworthy. also taking kooks like jordan peterson and jocko willink seriously doesn’t help either.

manuduncan

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2350 on: August 09, 2023, 11:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Whats the scam? He doesnt seem to hawk products more than any other podcaster. If anything it seems like he tries to tell people what they can do for free.
[close]
not to say his advice is totally worthless, but anyone who shills supplements, the majority of which probably do nothing, as much as he does doesn’t seem very trustworthy. also taking kooks like jordan peterson and jocko willink seriously doesn’t help either.

I keep getting Instagram ads of huberman on a podcast endorsing these rubber balls you chew on to make your jaw muscles more prominent and aesthetically pleasing

I’m generally skeptical of all these influencers who seem to have solved fitness/well-being with a bunch of “hacks”

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2351 on: August 10, 2023, 01:31:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The unpopular part would be trying to like him in the first place.

Not sure how this is going to be received in this day and age, but I still don't care for any street grabs whatsoever with the single exception of Wes Kremer's 180 Benihanas.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #2352 on: August 10, 2023, 07:17:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure how this is going to be received in this day and age, but I still don't care for any street grabs whatsoever with the single exception of Wes Kremer's 180 Benihanas.

Street grabs might be fun as a B-roll goof. If you make your career off that type of skating then you're a kook.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2353 on: August 10, 2023, 07:19:14 AM »
Anyone riding one of those 80s shapes is pointlessly handicapping themselves.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2354 on: August 10, 2023, 07:25:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Street grabs might be fun as a B-roll goof. If you make your career off that type of skating then you're a kook.
Cody Chapman changing minds on this after his killer part in the Lakai video.

Mywm

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2355 on: August 10, 2023, 07:37:18 AM »
Surf rock is cooler than any skate-related music subgenre

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2356 on: August 10, 2023, 07:41:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I keep getting Instagram ads of huberman on a podcast endorsing these rubber balls you chew on to make your jaw muscles more prominent and aesthetically pleasing

I’m generally skeptical of all these influencers who seem to have solved fitness/well-being with a bunch of “hacks”
Oh damn didn’t know about this stuff. Maybe the guy is a grifter

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #2357 on: August 10, 2023, 07:55:44 AM »

That Mike Mo part hasn't stood the test of time IMO, it doesn't measure up openers to Appleyard in Sorry, EE in Baker 3, Arto in Menikmati, Heath in TIS, AVE in multiple classics, etc etc

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2358 on: August 10, 2023, 08:26:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Anyone riding one of those 80s shapes is pointlessly handicapping themselves.
thats 90% of his shtick, would be a terrible move tbh
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2359 on: August 10, 2023, 08:48:00 AM »
This is true

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2360 on: August 10, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

quim cardona

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #2361 on: August 10, 2023, 09:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

quim cardona

I wouldn't say he made his career off street grabs. He's done some tasteful ones for sure. He was at his prime during a different era though, so he gets a pass.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2362 on: August 10, 2023, 09:33:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is true

Most bands that include skateboarders are not good. Bad shit is a very fitting name for that band. Warish and Harsh Toke are ok and not too offensive.

I recently had the displeasure of seeing Allen Losi's band One Less Zero because a mutual friend had some free tickets and my wife and I had nothing better to do. Would not recommend. It was cool talking to / hanging out with Losi though. He's a really nice guy.

I do like Grand Scheme though. I'm sure there are other decent bands with skateboarders that I just can't think of at the moment.

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #2363 on: August 10, 2023, 09:50:19 AM »

I 100 percent agree

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #2364 on: August 10, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been a loyal Canada Dry drinker for years but dare I say it, seagrams may have them beat. It actually tastes like ginger
[close]
I like the Canada dry bold it has that ginger taste but it's hard to find where I'm at, I'll have to switch to seagrams.  I just had my first Reeds NA ginger beer and it is my new favorite beverage

Vernors

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2365 on: August 10, 2023, 10:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This is true
[close]

Most bands that include skateboarders are not good. Bad shit is a very fitting name for that band. Warish and Harsh Toke are ok and not too offensive.

I recently had the displeasure of seeing Allen Losi's band One Less Zero because a mutual friend had some free tickets and my wife and I had nothing better to do. Would not recommend. It was cool talking to / hanging out with Losi though. He's a really nice guy.

I do like Grand Scheme though. I'm sure there are other decent bands with skateboarders that I just can't think of at the moment.
FIDLAR is fucking rad and I would loosely consider the Spits a skate punk band so there’s some stuff out there. I think the problem is that skate punk is just punk where surf rock is really its own sort of thing.

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #2366 on: August 10, 2023, 12:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That Mike Mo part hasn't stood the test of time IMO, it doesn't measure up openers to Appleyard in Sorry, EE in Baker 3, Arto in Menikmati, Heath in TIS, AVE in multiple classics, etc etc

yeah but none of those parts are between the click of the light and the start of the dream

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2367 on: August 10, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »
What Surf band is better than JFA

nothing's been the since same

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2368 on: August 10, 2023, 12:58:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What Surf band is better than JFA
Facts.  And can't forget.....
All I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me!

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #2369 on: August 10, 2023, 02:07:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe the quality of an opening part is different than the opening part working well with the rest of the video. While I agree all of those parts are sicker, they don’t prepare you to sit down for an hour and half of ledge combos and tech manuals like Mike Mo’s part does.

I’ll use an extreme example to explain: I think Tom Knox’s part in Vase is up there with Tyshawn in Blessed and Sucui’s Verso as the best parts of the late 2010’s. It’s also a terrible opening part because the rest of the video is struggling to catch up to those highs until that Southbank kickflip and Chris Jones’ part at the end. Ideally you want something like Shultz’s part in Radio Television, where setting the vibe is more important than the tricks (even though the tricks are obviously sick).

Of the parts you listed I think Ave in Photo comes the closest to what I was praising in Omar’s part.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:46:25 PM by Lenny the Fatface »