Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173992 times)

the_dangery_bois

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3000 on: December 01, 2023, 03:53:00 PM »
every new skatepark should be nothing but big transition with pool coping, over vert, giant bowl corners. no more manny pads, flat bars, stairs, none of that shit. if you wanna skate street, then hit the damn streets. oh and every park should have a vert ramp… that is all 😆
and maybe a launch ramp…

When I was a kid, there was a wood indoor park, but no outdoor park that I knew of. 
  There was this spot that at a playground by us where they had bulldozed out two big parking spaces into a hillside.
  Then they paved up onto the hillside effectively making a three sided ditch.  For some reason, it was also painted green.
  That was the perfect skatepark.
Throw a parking block on top of one of the sides and literally anyone could have an awesome time there.
  Well almost anyone.
  Some big spoiled baby from some rich part of the country with bloated municipal budgets might complain that there was no big transition or pool coping.
…but anyone cool could have an awesome time there.

Southernmost

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3001 on: December 01, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »
Really gnarly/gross slams (blood, getting knocked unconscious/semi unconscious, joints/limbs bending in the wrong direction) in skate videos should have a trigger warning

Some of us grew up watching Welcome To Hell and seeing someone break their neck. And Ed or someone sack a rail and then show their bruised and swollen nutsack. It’s part of skating and adds to the video part imo. Also If you’re referencing this due to Pedro’s part, what did you expect? You can always watch a Braille edit if you want to play it safe.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #3002 on: December 01, 2023, 04:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Really gnarly/gross slams (blood, getting knocked unconscious/semi unconscious, joints/limbs bending in the wrong direction) in skate videos should have a trigger warning
[close]

Some of us grew up watching Welcome To Hell and seeing someone break their neck. And Ed or someone sack a rail and then show their bruised and swollen nutsack. It’s part of skating and adds to the video part imo. Also If you’re referencing this due to Pedro’s part, what did you expect? You can always watch a Braille edit if you want to play it safe.
It doesn’t hurt anything to have one tho. I don’t think they’re necessary but if people start adding them I don’t think I’ll get upset either.

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -449
« Reply #3003 on: December 01, 2023, 04:39:02 PM »
Expand Quote
every new skatepark should be nothing but big transition with pool coping, over vert, giant bowl corners. no more manny pads, flat bars, stairs, none of that shit. if you wanna skate street, then hit the damn streets. oh and every park should have a vert ramp… that is all 😆
and maybe a launch ramp…

[close]
I'll take a guess

Antihero board, classic eagle only
Indy/ace trucks
Thrasher hoodie
Soft Spitfire formula 4 wheels, 56 mm
Lunch break weekend mornings only skater

I bet 3/5 of these is right

you also forgot to add: drops in at the same spot in the same bowl for every run then does kickturns for 10 minutes before getting out

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #3004 on: December 01, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »

I'll take a guess
Antihero board right now im on a scram
Indy/ace trucks why skate anything else?
Thrasher hoodie i mean i’m not against wearing one, just haven’t found one in a dumpster yet
Soft wheels one set of 101s, one set of 96s for the DIY
Lunch break skater jokes on you, i’m unemployed

I bet 3/5 of these is right i guess i’m just not your type, sweetie

Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

KILLEDTHEPOOL

« Reply #3005 on: December 01, 2023, 05:26:00 PM »
When I was a kid, there was a wood indoor park, but no outdoor park that I knew of. 
  There was this spot that at a playground by us where they had bulldozed out two big parking spaces into a hillside.
  Then they paved up onto the hillside effectively making a three sided ditch.  For some reason, it was also painted green.
Throw a parking block on top of one of the sides and literally anyone could have an awesome time there.
  Well almost anyone.
  Some big spoiled baby from some rich part of the country with bloated municipal budgets might complain that there was no big transition or pool coping.

likes skating transition = spoiled rich kid? that’s an interesting hypothesis
i don’t know where i complained about any spot at all, i’ll skate anything. that spot you’re describing sounds sick. my reasoning for my unpopular opinion that for some reason got under some skin, is that if kids don’t have access to ramps, they can’t learn how to skate them. there’s street obstacles everywhere, so street skating will never die out. any kid can pick up a board, go skate around town and learn flip tricks and ledges. if a city is gonna spend half a million dollars to build a place to skateboard, why tf would they spend all the money on shit that’s already all over the place.

KILLEDTHEPOOL

« Reply #3006 on: December 01, 2023, 05:38:00 PM »
oh you wanna skate a pool? then go bail out a fucking backyard pool, loser
i just emptied out the one at your moms house, loser

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -449
« Reply #3007 on: December 01, 2023, 06:02:25 PM »
Expand Quote
  Well almost anyone.
[close]

i don’t know where i complained about any spot at all, i’ll skate anything. that spot you’re describing sounds sick. my reasoning for my unpopular opinion that for some reason got under some skin, is that if kids don’t have access to ramps, they can’t learn how to skate them. there’s street obstacles everywhere, so street skating will never die out. any kid can pick up a board, go skate around town and learn flip tricks and ledges. if a city is gonna spend half a million dollars to build a place to skateboard, why tf would they spend all the money on shit that’s already all over the place.
because most cities want skating contained in a skatepark and not on the streets.
an exception here is SF which, aside from being pretty lawless regardless, paid kanfoush to build those obstacles at UN plaza/civic center
you're not wrong though. when i saw more and more concrete parks being built with stairs and handrails i thought it was really strange. still do.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #3008 on: December 01, 2023, 07:24:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  Well almost anyone.
[close]

[close]
because most cities want skating contained in a skatepark and not on the streets.
an exception here is SF which, aside from being pretty lawless regardless, paid kanfoush to build those obstacles at UN plaza/civic center
you're not wrong though. when i saw more and more concrete parks being built with stairs and handrails i thought it was really strange. still do.

Skate jail is real.
Going to have to side with the unpopular opinion on this one. Streets are outside of the parks, where it should be. DIYs are exempt from this though. If you’re building it make whatever the hell you want.

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3009 on: December 01, 2023, 10:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
and maybe a launch ramp…

[close]

the only viable blue prints for a skatepark are Lincoln City and Whitefish
[close]
agreed but add washington street, burnside and louisville

Agreed but add the bridge DIY in Charleston, SC

sparklingrainwater

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3010 on: December 01, 2023, 10:37:23 PM »
'YEEEEEWWWWWWW' needs to fucking die

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #3011 on: December 02, 2023, 02:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn ur tough

breezy_again

• Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #3012 on: December 02, 2023, 04:46:14 AM »
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

KILLEDTHEPOOL

« Reply #3013 on: December 02, 2023, 06:01:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
and maybe a launch ramp…

[close]

the only viable blue prints for a skatepark are Lincoln City and Whitefish
[close]
agreed but add washington street, burnside and louisville
[close]

Agreed but add the bridge DIY in Charleston, SC
i really wanna get down there soon

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3014 on: December 02, 2023, 06:50:53 AM »
not very cruster to complain about allocation of municipal funds, mister

nolan built a ramp, be punk like him

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #3015 on: December 02, 2023, 09:11:04 AM »
and maybe a launch ramp…

I remember seeing some SKATE TWITTER dorks being upset about that riverside park in New York - a park which appears to have a pretty sizeable street section -  because they had the audacity to install a legit pool in a section of the park. The general consensus was that no one who matters (i.e. their peer group) actually skates that feature, but I see footage of that little ripper Jiro absolutely wrecking the pool so I think these guys might just actually suck at skating.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 117
« Reply #3016 on: December 02, 2023, 09:12:38 AM »
If I saw Burberry Erry in real life I’d make sure to act really hyped but call him Blueberry Jerry, and keep insisting that is his name.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3017 on: December 04, 2023, 07:55:03 AM »
I hate virtually all tagging, graffiti, "throw-ups", whatever. The world is a demonstrably uglier place thanks to the incredibly selfish behavior of countless untalented, unoriginal and completely uncreative hacks who are aping a 50-year-old style to which they have absolutely no social or cultural connection.

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a painting of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:09:41 AM by manysnakes »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3018 on: December 04, 2023, 08:07:10 AM »
I hate virtually all tagging, graffiti, "throw-ups", whatever. The world is a demonstrably uglier place thanks to the incredibly selfish behavior of countless untalented, unoriginal and completely uncreative hacks who are aping a 50-year-old style to which they have absolutely no social or cultural connection.

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a picture of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
Couldn't agree more

Have a gnar

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #3019 on: December 04, 2023, 08:24:09 AM »

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a picture of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
This right here.  Skaters should heckle the shit out of graffiti dudes, you all are the ones ruining spots.  Also, 90% of you are white kids from the cul-de-sac suburbs talking with blaccent you are not hard please drop that shit it is super embarrassing for everyone.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3020 on: December 04, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »
If I saw Burberry Erry in real life I’d make sure to act really hyped but call him Blueberry Jerry, and keep insisting that is his name.
Would be funny to be like “dude there’s something in your hair”

ViewFinder

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3021 on: December 04, 2023, 11:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This right here.  Skaters should heckle the shit out of graffiti dudes, you all are the ones ruining spots.  Also, 90% of you are white kids from the cul-de-sac suburbs talking with blaccent you are not hard please drop that shit it is super embarrassing for everyone.

The people who do both and ruin spots is lame but here's my unpopular opinion:
In my experience there's more appreciation and conversation about style/history/culture in graff than skating. Of course, you'd have to be pretty interested/involved in either to take that into account.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • sup dog
« Reply #3022 on: December 04, 2023, 11:48:59 AM »
You need more good Yews in your life.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3023 on: December 04, 2023, 12:02:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, long yews are a welcomed sight.

Then again to expose my bias, I’m teetering on identifying as an old dude who is aroused by Anti Hero products.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #3024 on: December 04, 2023, 12:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed, long yews are a welcomed sight.

Then again to expose my bias, I’m teetering on identifying as an old dude who is aroused by Anti Hero products.

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3025 on: December 04, 2023, 12:27:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, graff is lame. Pretty much everyone who does it is so into themselves. You’re literally writing your name on things to be seen by people. Practically begging for attention. Skating is way more humble and not full of these wannabe hard asses.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3026 on: December 04, 2023, 02:07:41 PM »
+ the chinese knock off prestos are better than the regular ones and still snipeable

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3027 on: December 04, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »
Graffiti is fine. The only thing I don’t get is dudes scratching stuff into public toilets. Why claim a toilet?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3028 on: December 04, 2023, 03:41:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a painting of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
[close]

this is a man employed to fix flat tires posting on a rolling wood trickboard website concerned a different subculture isn't "contributing". extremely loser worldview

I never said anything about contributing; I said it made the world uglier. And that hasn't been my job for half a decade.

FWIW, if you've ever offered any personal details about yourself, I promise that you're too inconsequential to commit them to memory.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #3029 on: December 04, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »
I know I’m a couple pages late but grinds and slides to fakie are acceptable if it’s a setup for the next trick. Crook to fakie -> fakie flip -> fakie back tail is way better than crook to fakie -> revert -> tre flop -> another crook to fakie