Author Topic: Sick of Hurting My Feet  (Read 6190 times)

ZEBRA

Re: Sick of Hurting My Feet
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
Restraining your ankle puts you more at risk for hurting your knee, too.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
I was skating a bunch of es's (mostly that vulc/cup hybrid but still more like a vulc) i got from the crazy sale for the last 6 months and i just got got some dunk mids and ive noticed a huge difference. feels a lot better on my feet and ankles. i don't skate stairs or any thing but i do skate a few times a week (2-3 times for 2-3 hours long)

If you have a history of sprained ankles, you may want to look into ankle braces. It may take a while to get used to skating in one, though. I know Mike Mo was/is using one and swore by it - said he couldn't skate without it.

also any one tried these?

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

jack2jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »
I was skating a bunch of es's (mostly that vulc/cup hybrid but still more like a vulc) i got from the crazy sale for the last 6 months and i just got got some dunk mids and ive noticed a huge difference. feels a lot better on my feet and ankles. i don't skate stairs or any thing but i do skate a few times a week (2-3 times for 2-3 hours long)

Expand Quote
If you have a history of sprained ankles, you may want to look into ankle braces. It may take a while to get used to skating in one, though. I know Mike Mo was/is using one and swore by it - said he couldn't skate without it.
[close]

Yes, they are great. After some time you didn?t notice them and can move your ankle like without them but when you roll your ankle they prevent the tragedy....

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, they are great. After some time you didn?t notice them and can move your ankle like without them but when you roll your ankle they prevent the tragedy....

I have one of these (it doesn't have any straps like the one pictured). It's wierd to get used to but once you wear it in you barely feel it at all.

I don't use it for rolled ankles, I have some bullshit called anterior ankle impingement which basically means that if i bend my knee too far down the tissue in the 2 joints pinches causing extreme pain. It sucks because I can no longer do back lips or back smiths but that ankle strap at least allows me to skate.

foureyedjim

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have one of these (it doesn't have any straps like the one pictured). It's wierd to get used to but once you wear it in you barely feel it at all.

I don't use it for rolled ankles, I have some bullshit called anterior ankle impingement which basically means that if i bend my knee too far down the tissue in the 2 joints pinches causing extreme pain. It sucks because I can no longer do back lips or back smiths but that ankle strap at least allows me to skate.
[close]

I have the same thing, have you had an x-ray/bone spurs? I had mine removed but I still have shit dorsiflexion. I stretch my calves a lot, and sit on my heels, it kind of helps. I feel your pain, literally, have you tried physio or anything else? I'm desperately trying to get rid of it completely. I'm sure other skateboarders have dealt with this.

Well my PT never told me about this...I just stopped going because
1) I had school 6 hours away from my normal hospital and
2) PT honestly wasn't helping too much
Anyways, good to know that at least I know what the problem is.  I'll talk to my PT again and see if they can re-diagnose my ankle
thanks for the info guys

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
I skated those dunks a bunch and I thought they were good for my tired feet and jacked ankles.....The high top and thicker sidewall always just felt more stable...Right now I skate Nike mvrks....

I've skated braces and find they don't do anything or they are too stiff....it really depends on how bad stuff is for your ankles....if they aren't too bad then there's no need and you might be weakening them....if they are fucked....then maybe it makes sense....

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
g6 + fp = DONE AND DONE

carLOVElasquez

• Rep: -10
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
I'm skating Miket Taylor S's and I really like them. They're cupsole. They have pretty good board feel(almost vulc like) and the insole hasn't bottomed out yet(I've had them for about a month and a half) Definitely one of my favorite shoes!  ;D  

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

jerrys_kids

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
Im sticking with my skytop 3 opinion. The sole is thick and has enough cushion to stop heel bruise and its a high top so just lace them up and that will stop ankle rolls.

Ive had two knee surgeries and an ankle surgery and skytop 3s are the best thing to ever happen to me, since I can lace them up tight I dont roll my ankle and the sole has enough firm yet cushioned support to prevent heel bruise and It also takes it nice and easy on the old knee.

jerrys_kids

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the same thing, have you had an x-ray/bone spurs? I had mine removed but I still have shit dorsiflexion. I stretch my calves a lot, and sit on my heels, it kind of helps. I feel your pain, literally, have you tried physio or anything else? I'm desperately trying to get rid of it completely. I'm sure other skateboarders have dealt with this.

Ive got that too, mine hurts super bad if I compress and my ankle bends so that my toes go up towards my knee, but the braces dont help as much as lacing hightops all the way up super tight do so thats usually what I do.

ZEBRA

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:08 PM »

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ive got that too, mine hurts super bad if I compress and my ankle bends so that my toes go up towards my knee, but the braces dont help as much as lacing hightops all the way up super tight do so thats usually what I do.

My physio told me that it won't go away unless I stop doing anything for 6 months or if I get surgery. She told me to do those same exercise but I've honestly been a bit lazy with them lately. If it keeps getting worse and worse I will get surgery, but it's not so bad at the moment. I'd take a badly sprained ankle over this shit any day.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
So um how long do heel bruises last because its been about a week an a half and it still hurts when I put weight on it, is it worse than a heel bruise? I was only skating a foot high box when I slammed on it

ZEBRA

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
So um how long do heel bruises last because its been about a week an a half and it still hurts when I put weight on it, is it worse than a heel bruise? I was only skating a foot high box when I slammed on it

If it hasn't gotten any worse, but has gotten better, I would say it just a bruise and you're OK.

If it hasn't gotten better or it has gotten worse, I would go see a doctor.

That's just me though.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it hasn't gotten any worse, but has gotten better, I would say it just a bruise and you're OK.

That's just me though.
I had an ACE bandage thing on it because I thought it might be more than a bruise but I took it off today and it's feeling better. Good thing its fucking ice outside and I'm not missing anything

ZEBRA

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's just me though.
[close]
I had an ACE bandage thing on it because I thought it might be more than a bruise but I took it off today and it's feeling better. Good thing its fucking ice outside and I'm not missing anything

I would stay off of it as much as you can and ice it. And don't push it. If it ain't 100%, don't fuck with it until it is.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though.

era

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
What I find works is giving up the dream of becoming a pro skateboarder.  Skate flat bars and curbs and stop being a try hard and you will never have a heel bruise again!!! (relax slap I'm joking)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 07:36:03 AM »
I'm not....if you can't Ollie up it....don't Ollie off of it....

Joe Pesci

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
this is skateboarding, nothing can save you

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

if you buy an ankle brace, make sure that you're also doing strengthening exercises and other rehab methods in conjunction.  just an ankle brace itself will just allow your ankle to get weaker.  also, i skated with mike mo about two years ago, and the ankle brace he used was essentially a reinforced sock, so you may want to think before purchasing one of those clunky immobilizing braces. 

micky682

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
My doctor once told me to write out the ABC's with my feet to strengthen my rolled ankle. I tried it and on D I heard the loudest crack from my ankle.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
You can sprain your ankle no matter what kind of fucking shoe you wear. It doesn't matter how thin the sole is when it comes to skate shoes. There isn't going to be enough of a difference. These aren't air max basketball shoes that are elevated high off of the floor.

These lightweight fuckboys who swear by fairy slippers are going to get you injured if you follow their advice.

Get some chunky shit and hold it down!

I have only bruised my heel once and that lasted me 3 at least weeks, so you might be sitting for a bit. (I was wearing a completely blown out pair of Etnies Arto's and decided to jump down one of the biggest gaps in the area. Bad idea)

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
You can sprain your ankle no matter what kind of fucking shoe you wear. It doesn't matter how thin the sole is when it comes to skate shoes. There isn't going to be enough of a difference. These aren't air max basketball shoes that are elevated high off of the floor.

These lightweight fuckboys who swear by fairy slippers are going to get you injured if you follow their advice.

I have only bruised my heel once and that lasted me 3 at least weeks, so you might be sitting for a bit. (I was wearing a completely blown out pair of Etnies Arto's and decided to jump down one of the biggest gaps in the area. Bad idea)

I completely disagree. Have you ever heard of the princess and the pee? Feet are sensitive, I think when it comes to performance footwear every centimeter counts. I used to skate the Herman 2s and I sprained my ankle twice in those ( the only times I have sprained my ankles[any other time was because I did't properly treat those sprains]), the cupsole was stiff and had a high sidewall. I feel like even with the midsole the G6 has a small enough side wall to be safe.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I completely disagree. Have you ever heard of the princess and the pee? Feet are sensitive, I think when it comes to performance footwear every centimeter counts. I used to skate the Herman 2s and I sprained my ankle twice in those ( the only times I have sprained my ankles[any other time was because I did't properly treat those sprains]), the cupsole was stiff and had a high sidewall. I feel like even with the midsole the G6 has a small enough side wall to be safe.

exactly. no ones saying you should wear dylans to prevent rolling ankles, but the higher the sidewall, the more likely you are to have a bad ankle roll. anyone with bad ankles can put on different shoes and roll their ankle (on purpose) in the direction it would normally roll and feel how much more susceptable your ankles are to getting fucked in high sidewall shoes

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »
I don't give a fuck about the science behind it.

The fact is you can and will roll your shit no matter what if you land incorrectly.

Clearly this guy needs to step it up and wear something else if he is bruising his heels on FLATGROUND. (ALERT ALERT YOU PANSIES, STOP WEARING FAIRY SHOES, IS THIS NOT A RED FLAG?)

I can't believe the audacity of some of these kids recommending shit like the BUSENITZ which feature extremely limited cushioning if anything.

Trash.

Have fun hurting yourself, I couldn't care less

foureyedjim

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »

The fact is you can and will roll your shit no matter what if you land incorrectly.

typical of strikeapose to ignore basic physics
http://science.howstuffworks.com/lever-info.htm

but I will agree that you CAN roll your ankle with any shoe
but why not lower the chances?

rule of thumb: don't listen to this guy.  This is the same guy that thinks arizona tea is healthy for you
(that thread was hilarious)

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

typical of strikeapose to ignore basic physics
http://science.howstuffworks.com/lever-info.htm

but I will agree that you CAN roll your ankle with any shoe
but why not lower the chances?

rule of thumb: don't listen to this guy.  This is the same guy that thinks arizona tea is healthy for you
(that thread was hilarious)
I've been gone for awhile, do you have a link to that thread?

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »
Very interesting discussion here.

Vulc shoes for skateboarding never did very well with me. I started off using Van Old Skools...after switching to something with a lot less minimalist like a Etnies Sal 23, the difference was seriously night and day.

Never went back, although I did use Vulcs for casual chill shoes - Chucks, PF Flyers, etc. Living in a big city, using a rail system, and walking all over the place, I can say that thin Vulcs didn't suit me for long periods of walking either.

Now, one thing I have a hard time getting used to are skate shoes with the airbag in the heel or shoes that have a heel that is higher off the ground relative to the rest of the sole. I like shoes where the sole feels fairly flat and level. Not to say that I don't want arch support for my flat feet though. This is why I'm a fan of the footprint insoles. I actually wore out the older water injection ones in my running shoes, not skateboarding. Have a newer version (the Alvarez ones) that I'm testing for walking only right now. They're comfortable but I don't have a firm opinion on them yet. I'd be curious to try them skating both in vulcanized and cupsole shoes to see how they do.

Re: tennis shoes, it seems like there is a lot of debate about what works best among non-professional players - mirroring skateboarding somewhat. Doesn't sound like professional players are moving over to minimalist shoes at all though. See this discussion:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413535

I think the debate going on in running is probably similar. For jogging and such, I definitely prefer a more cushioned shoe (using Brooks Trance 10s) and wouldn't dream of using a pair of those toe-finger slipper things.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
I am going to buy the ecetera insoles but I don't know if I should get the Hi or lo ones. I don't normally jump off stuff but are the los a waste of money?