Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713454 times)

Space Cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 69
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3990 on: March 29, 2022, 11:08:23 AM »
I appreciate the last few posts on this. I’m still looking for the ultimate 52.

Spitfire is continuing to pump out new shapes for the F4 so ive got a feeling your perfect wheel will come down the pipeline soon or you just haventquite found it yet haha

My ultimate 52 was when I saw OG Classic shape come out in Formula Four a year or 2 ago.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3991 on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Spitfire is continuing to pump out new shapes for the F4 so ive got a feeling your perfect wheel will come down the pipeline soon or you just haventquite found it yet haha

My ultimate 52 was when I saw OG Classic shape come out in Formula Four a year or 2 ago.

Haven’t skated those yet. I like the flip with classics a lot. I got 52 conical fulls, but they are 101s, and are not ideal for the terroir. Tbh the og classics kinda confused me, as they seemed a little too close to the conical fulls…? What the key difference/advantage?

pops

• Rep: 244
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3992 on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:58 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of tablets.

Look weird, sidewall drag when locking in, and the lack of taper makes scooping tricks/breaking into slides a little trickier. Also easier to get caught in cracks when rolling parallel to them vs say a classic.

Radials slims had a similar slim profile, locked in pretty much just as well, but had some taper and didn't have a completely flat sidewall. Felt pretty much better in every way to me unless you absolutely need maximum contact patch no matter what.
Wish they made that shape again.

I remember not liking my tablets at all. First wheel to make my skating feel so off and weird  Also have skated radial slims and liked them much more than tablets for same reasons.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3993 on: March 29, 2022, 11:23:22 AM »

Me too. I've convinced myself that my perfect wheel is an F4 Radial or Radial Full, 99du, 52mm. There was a recent swirl wheel that was basically exactly this but they were black and I can pretty much only handle the potato color wheels. Hoping the next drop has something for me to try.

I have 52 classics and 52 conicals on my set ups right now, and the radial *seems* like the blend of both that I want but they seem to be more common in larger sizes or harder durometer.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3994 on: March 29, 2022, 11:29:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haven’t skated those yet. I like the flip with classics a lot. I got 52 conical fulls, but they are 101s, and are not ideal for the terroir. Tbh the og classics kinda confused me, as they seemed a little too close to the conical fulls…? What the key difference/advantage?

Conical fulls have a more rounded edge, the OG classic shape has a more square edge, like the OG Classic concaves inward with no roundness that sticks out like the conical full if that makes sense. (OG Classics riding surface:21.7, conical full:21, so only 0.7 more)

The conical full can give you a closer flip feeling to the classic due to the more rounded edge while giving the lock in of a more square wheel, the OG Classic flips like a square wheel but I prefer the sharper edge for lock ins (The main key differences for me). (The conical full locks in fine as well, just slightly less "locked" due to the more rounded edge but it wont make you fall off if you can lock in well)

The OG classic locks in hard but dosent have as much surface rubbing against the obstacle like the tablet due to only the edge of the wheel touching the obstacle rather than the whole side of the wheel if that makes sense haha

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3995 on: March 29, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »

53 OG Classics compared to 56 Classics. Going to exchange one or both  for something else but don’t know what. Riding on 52mm conical fulls (was 54) but not liking the squareness for slappies and fat coping and extra clunkiness. I do like the smoothness of the wide surface area. Maybe keep the 56 classics and endure the crust or pick up some 55 radials. Need a wheel that feels right in parking lots and full pipes.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3996 on: March 29, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »

53 OG Classics compared to 56 Classics. Going to exchange one or both  for something else but don’t know what. Riding on 52mm conical fulls (was 54) but not liking the squareness for slappies and fat coping and extra clunkiness. I do like the smoothness of the wide surface area. Maybe keep the 56 classics and endure the crust or pick up some 55 radials. Need a wheel that feels right in parking lots and full pipes.

@Space Cowboy Thanks for that write up!

@braksabbath yeah, fuck. I’m in a room of pain, of my own construction: recently purchased both 51 mm classics, and 57 mm radials. Which feels like, viewed as a singular data piece, would easily allow the profiler to point to the unsub. I too want something that will work for really varied terrain, but maybe that’s just not a thing. There has been people I’ve skated with, and then numerous instances of pros that can rip on both transition and flatground shit on 50s, or different folks that can still do tech stuff with their 58s, whilst being able to skate large ramps as well. Captain obvious here. A round, yet wider shape, in a 52 might be as close as I get to the best of both worlds. 

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #3997 on: March 29, 2022, 01:16:15 PM »
i think Tablets are very comon where i live. see a ton of people ride them. i think they're 3th place most common spitfires i see here after Classics and Conicals.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #3998 on: March 29, 2022, 01:51:46 PM »
I really believe if Spit released more regular Radials that that shape would be higher up in the popularity polls

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3999 on: March 29, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
I really believe if Spit released more regular Radials that that shape would be higher up in the popularity polls

Yeah, everywhere is overstocked with Classics of every size, and hardness. Conical Fulls are usually available but certain hardness and sizes are missing (because they're so popular). Tablets are usually the random third option these days, while pretty much every other shape is a crap shoot. Its weird though, it doesn't seem like the tablets have a massive following. I don't think many people hate them, but I don't know if they are many peoples' first choice?

It seems like people who care about wheel shape outside of the main two tend to like Conical (regular) and Radial Slims yet they're both impossible to find.

It also feels kind of random to me that they only make their 97a wheel for Conical Fulls and Classics. I know its because they are the most popular shapes. Conical Fulls make complete sense, but is there really a market for slim soft wheels? It seems a bit counter intuitive.

Seems like Conical Full and Radial Full would be the shapes to give the 97a treatment to. If you are stepping down to 97a, you are probably skating some CRUSTY streets that would benefit from a wide wheel too. A thin 97a just seems like the worst of both worlds, right?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1942
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4000 on: March 30, 2022, 02:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, everywhere is overstocked with Classics of every size, and hardness. Conical Fulls are usually available but certain hardness and sizes are missing (because they're so popular). Tablets are usually the random third option these days, while pretty much every other shape is a crap shoot. Its weird though, it doesn't seem like the tablets have a massive following. I don't think many people hate them, but I don't know if they are many peoples' first choice?

It seems like people who care about wheel shape outside of the main two tend to like Conical (regular) and Radial Slims yet they're both impossible to find.

It also feels kind of random to me that they only make their 97a wheel for Conical Fulls and Classics. I know its because they are the most popular shapes. Conical Fulls make complete sense, but is there really a market for slim soft wheels? It seems a bit counter intuitive.

Seems like Conical Full and Radial Full would be the shapes to give the 97a treatment to. If you are stepping down to 97a, you are probably skating some CRUSTY streets that would benefit from a wide wheel too. A thin 97a just seems like the worst of both worlds, right?

53mm 97a Orange Swirl will always be a mystery to me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4001 on: March 30, 2022, 04:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, exactly. I really want to try some 52mm or 53mm Conical's. But I just got some new 53mm OG Classics and have to get used to them.
IG: @flowterspace

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4002 on: March 30, 2022, 06:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, exactly. I really want to try some 52mm or 53mm Conical's. But I just got some new 53mm OG Classics and have to get used to them.

I would recommend looking into Bones wheels if you like skinnier shapes. Their v5 is essentially Conical maybe slightly smaller, and their v6 between Conical and Conical full. Most of their wheels Max out around 54mm.

Haven't tried their STF 99a yet to speak to them, but I love their 103a on smooth ground. My favorite hard hard wheel.

If you care about wheel color or whatever, I know the Bones 99a look more natural like F4.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4003 on: March 30, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »

can’t remember if these are spring d2 or summer but antisocial got em early!

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #4004 on: March 30, 2022, 08:53:23 AM »

can’t remember if these are spring d2 or summer but antisocial got em early!
That’s kinda hot actually, been wanting to try 99d conical fulls but hard to justify 50€ when I have perfectly ok 101 classics already…
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4005 on: March 30, 2022, 08:57:13 AM »
DLX just might as well discontinue the radial slim at this point...still on the hunt for a set in 99a

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4006 on: March 30, 2022, 09:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm on some 52 conicals now and I'm really liking them. They slide well but don't look super wide the way conical fulls do? Those really wide surface area wheels sort of spin me out mentally. Still waiting to find a perfect set of radials that I've convinced myself are my goldilocks wheel...

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4007 on: March 30, 2022, 01:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm on some 52 conicals now and I'm really liking them. They slide well but don't look super wide the way conical fulls do? Those really wide surface area wheels sort of spin me out mentally. Still waiting to find a perfect set of radials that I've convinced myself are my goldilocks wheel...

Maybe I have the same with the really wide riding surface on the 53 OG classics for example.

I had some Radials in 54 a few years ago and those also have a wide riding surface, but I think a 51 or 50 radial could be really nice.

Just ordered a set of 52 conicals. The madness.. I tell ya
IG: @flowterspace

skateviewer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4008 on: March 30, 2022, 02:20:43 PM »
any of you guys find something weird about the coloured f4? i got the black classic fulls and they just feel off compared to undyed f4.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4009 on: March 30, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
Potato brown talk only.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4010 on: March 30, 2022, 02:24:49 PM »
any of you guys find something weird about the coloured f4? i got the black classic fulls and they just feel off compared to undyed f4.

I can't ride colored wheels. I'm so desperate for radials and Spit is only releasing them in colors lately which is fucking me up. More power to people who can ride them but they aren't for me. Potato only.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4011 on: March 30, 2022, 02:55:52 PM »
I’ve got a pretty new set of Classic Fulls and 2 sets in the closet so I’m pretty committed, but I’d try a radial or like a 53 conical again for sure.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
« Reply #4012 on: March 30, 2022, 03:21:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't ride colored wheels. I'm so desperate for radials and Spit is only releasing them in colors lately which is fucking me up. More power to people who can ride them but they aren't for me. Potato only.

Not sure what size you’re looking for - the Oski radials in 55 and 57 mm seem to be pretty readily available (at least in the states).  I just picked up a set of the 55s for the spring/summer. 

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4013 on: March 30, 2022, 03:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure what size you’re looking for - the Oski radials in 55 and 57 mm seem to be pretty readily available (at least in the states).  I just picked up a set of the 55s for the spring/summer.

I've been looking for 52 or 53 which I've only seen in the Blue "Skate like a Girl" color or the Black with the Trippy Swirl. Might need to get over the madness and pull the trigger on the 55s.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4014 on: March 30, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »
Does anyone from DLX still lurk these boards?
If you’re here, make normal fucking radials in a good range of sizes, you can still make the Skate Like A Girl colours but people want potato wheels dammit

Rattus Localis

« Reply #4015 on: March 30, 2022, 07:33:59 PM »
Question(s) for all the "classic full" enthusiasts:

How do you find they compare to regular classics?

Looking at the specs for the 52mm, it appears the fulls are only 1mm wider but have a decently wider contact patch.

Is there any noticeable difference in weight and performance?

I like the way wider wheels look and feel but I'm also noticing my pop diminishing a bit lately (I'm 34). 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1942
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4016 on: March 30, 2022, 07:43:40 PM »
Does anyone from DLX still lurk these boards?
If you’re here, make normal fucking radials SLIM in a good range of sizes, you can still make the Skate Like A Girl colours but people want potato wheels dammit
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4017 on: March 30, 2022, 07:45:56 PM »
mine felt a tad softer, and honestly better.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4018 on: March 30, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
Question(s) for all the "classic full" enthusiasts:

How do you find they compare to regular classics?

Looking at the specs for the 52mm, it appears the fulls are only 1mm wider but have a decently wider contact patch.

Is there any noticeable difference in weight and performance?

I like the way wider wheels look and feel but I'm also noticing my pop diminishing a bit lately (I'm 34).
I have in my head that the idea behind these is that they are a skated down version of their 2mm larger classic version, like the 54mm classic full is like a skated down 56mm classic, but I admit it can't be right because these will get even wider still once they are skated down.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4019 on: March 30, 2022, 08:32:36 PM »
What happened to classic fulls? I just want a fatter classic and the OG Classic is not that, has less taper