Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713625 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4290 on: August 15, 2022, 01:11:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?
[close]

Yeah I’ve heard rumors there may be some 53-54 radials coming, but no potato colors; all black or swirl or whatever
[close]
Just saw this posted to instagram, looks like there will be potato after all.

Yoo, 53mm 99a Radials. Each wheel with a different graphic. And Leo Baker. That is all super rad.

Unfortunately I really, really like Standard Conicals.
IG: @flowterspace

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4291 on: August 15, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »
They look quite chunky at that size, almost Radial Full proportions?

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4292 on: August 15, 2022, 01:25:11 PM »

[/quote]
Don't change your trucks. You've been on them since a kid so you've obviously done your best skating on venture. All changing will do is make you have to re learn everything.
[/quote]

The sensible advice that I needed today

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4293 on: August 15, 2022, 01:57:17 PM »
Bloody finally, gonna have to stock up again

Edit: Of course they release the day after I cave and buy some 55mms
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 02:58:58 PM by Paco Supreme »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4294 on: August 15, 2022, 02:10:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know what's going on with radials? Been looking for them for months but they're just not available in 54mm or below.

Might have to get some Classic Fulls but not sure if anyone knows anything and if it's worth waiting a bit longer?
[close]

Yeah I’ve heard rumors there may be some 53-54 radials coming, but no potato colors; all black or swirl or whatever
[close]

Damn, going to need to cop 2-3 sets...

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4295 on: August 15, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just picked up 2 sets from my local. It’s been a good couple months for me. After years of absence, my #2 favorite, lock-ins, are finally back (I’ve got 3 sets on ice). And now my #1, radials are here! I should be set for a while.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4296 on: August 15, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »
I couldn’t help but notice in the lower left of this insta post from spitfire, I see a Radial Slim package

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4297 on: August 15, 2022, 05:57:52 PM »
I couldn’t help but notice in the lower left of this insta post from spitfire, I see a Radial Slim package

saw them on parade earlier too, maybe 5-6 listings?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #4298 on: August 15, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »
whew 53 radial

that's a nice wheel and a dope pro model to boot

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4299 on: August 15, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »
I really don’t need new wheels but shit I’m tempted.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4300 on: August 15, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
Damn, I bought some 53m radials on a whim a few years back and they were great. Very glad to be able to get some more.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4301 on: August 15, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #4303 on: August 16, 2022, 04:15:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

saw them on parade earlier too, maybe 5-6 listings?
My local posted a photo of a huge spitfire restock yesterday and probably a third of them were radial slims, so they’re definitely back.  All 101 though, not sure what the deal is with 99s.

Get hungry on it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4304 on: August 16, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yo I've got to get some new wheels,  been riding 56mm 99a conical fulls.

Really like them,  but downside is how bulky they feel trying flip tricks &  how much weight they add to my set up compared to mates' set ups.

I mainly skate bowls and ramps,  but want to get into more flip tricks and street stuff.

Anyone got any recs that'd make it a bit lighter,  but without slipping out in a bowl /having to pump way harder?

Cheers!
[close]

54mm Conical
[close]

This, or OG Classics (assuming you want to stick to a conical shape). And maybe consider Titaniums if you Re riding Indys, they help a lot with making bigger setups feel lighter.
[close]

Sweet cheers for the advice, can confirm that buying conicals are a nightmare (at least in UK).  Only found one shop that does 54s the rest are all conical fulls.

I skate Venture Lights 5.6 Hi,  been on ventures since a kid.  Maybe time for a change.

... is this how gear madness starts??

Even just a set of normal 54mm Conical Full wheels.

They are so much more manageable overall than the 56mm Conical Full wheels, especially if they are widely available to you where you are.

Quite a few people I know skate that size and shape as a tech wheel, a bowl wheel, as well as a good all rounder, so that would work for you too.

They look quite chunky at that size, almost Radial Full proportions?

Radials in 53mm are 33.5mm wide, so are about the same width as Conical Full in the 53mm and almost the same width as Classic Full wheels, but the fact that they are very square looking makes them look a lot more solid.

I had a set of Radials in 52mm once and they seemed like the most fun little wheel, but I like them a little more on the chunky side, so 54mm and even 56mm size were about right, of which I have had a few sets of each.

You could get four sets and then match up four of each graphic.

Not that it would matter if the graphic comes off easily enough, but just a fun thought, as well as stocking up.

It is really quite smart marketing on the part of Spitfire and DLX, given lots of people want a white (natural) colour Radial in about 53mm and promoting someone like Leo Baker has never been as relevant as it is right now, so overall I am pretty stoked to see these wheels come out now.

Hopefully they have made a lot of them, because I can see a lot of people buying more than just one set too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4305 on: August 16, 2022, 08:04:06 AM »

It is really quite smart marketing on the part of Spitfire and DLX, given lots of people want a white (natural) colour Radial in about 53mm and promoting someone like Leo Baker has never been as relevant as it is right now, so overall I am pretty stoked to see these wheels come out now.

this popped in my head as well when reading this thread the other day and seeing how many people are gonna buy multiple sets - while it is annoying not to have the shape you want in regular rotation, it does benefit sponsored riders to have their wheel release be on a shape that's not dropped as often but loved.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4306 on: August 16, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
The Lacey wheels are apparently a very limited release and will just end up in a few shops.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4307 on: August 16, 2022, 08:43:34 AM »
The Lacey wheels are apparently a very limited release and will just end up in a few shops.

Yeah they mentioned that in the post. I didn’t see any shops I recognized but there has to be some LA shops getting these

caked

• Rep: -14
« Reply #4308 on: August 16, 2022, 09:09:26 AM »
https://glueskateboards.com/products/baker-limited-edition-spitfire-f4-wheels-54mm

limited edition black and blue set available on the glue website. think I have to get a set!

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4309 on: August 16, 2022, 09:11:26 AM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4310 on: August 16, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
https://glueskateboards.com/products/baker-limited-edition-spitfire-f4-wheels-54mm

limited edition black and blue set available on the glue website. think I have to get a set!
[close]

whoa sick. there's also these blue classics that popped up
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-classics-leo-baker-skateboard-wheels-99a-54mm-1-7544613208320/

Sorry if I sound like "Mr Know it all" but I remember seeing those blue ones a while back when it was a big thing from "Lacey" on the previous set with roses graphic, to just "L" or "Leo" on the new promo with those wheels when they came out, so I am thinking they are just old stock still floating around.

The other new special editions with two black, two aqua Conical Full 54mm wheels are damn nice though, even if I am not into coloured wheels, but again the size, shape and those colours...

DLX (and Leo Baker) doing excellent things with the rad product.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4311 on: August 16, 2022, 04:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

whoa sick. there's also these blue classics that popped up
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-classics-leo-baker-skateboard-wheels-99a-54mm-1-7544613208320/

[close]

Sorry if I sound like "Mr Know it all" but I remember seeing those blue ones a while back when it was a big thing from "Lacey" on the previous set with roses graphic, to just "L" or "Leo" on the new promo with those wheels when they came out, so I am thinking they are just old stock still floating around.

makes sense to me!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4312 on: August 16, 2022, 04:47:11 PM »
Went by my local to check for the Leo wheels, no luck. They did have a ton of Lock-ins in stock though, so Deluxe must be sending some out again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4313 on: August 16, 2022, 05:02:36 PM »
Went by my local to check for the Leo wheels, no luck. They did have a ton of Lock-ins in stock though, so Deluxe must be sending some out again.

I think production is finally coming back up to where they can make a lot more shapes and sizes, without everyone screaming for the basics - Classics and Conical Full - when they were in shorter supply.

I also wonder how many normal skate shops will have access, or will be getting in those new wheels, but I know that some shops order at different times, or things take a little longer to get to some places too.

This was the text from that instagram post so these places definitely had them in from the look of that:

spitfirewheels
leo_baker’s new Pro Edition Formula Four 99DU 53MM Radials with individual art for each wheel are landing in shops all week. Here are a few shops where you can grab a set….

303boards
slappysgarage
modernskate
infinityskateshop
theblockop
crossroads_skateshop
switchandsignalskatepark

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4314 on: August 16, 2022, 05:43:33 PM »
Skateworks have the Leo radials online, anchor skate shop too.

I think these will trickle out in conjunction with their Netflix doco

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1944
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4315 on: August 16, 2022, 08:18:32 PM »
Seeing the Classics Full measurements again makes me wonder how relevant the 52 mm ones really are. Same width as 53 mm Classics, which will have a similar contact patch once worn down to 52 mm. I liked my Classics Full (passed them on) but am wondering if I should just go with 53 mm Classics when I am buying my next set of smaller wheels as they are much more widely available.

If you can deal with the size and shape to start with, they will definitely be easier to find and last a little longer, being that 1 mm bigger overall.

I have been skating some slightly used Classic 54mm wheels just to see how they add up compared to the Classic Full and I must say that they don't disappoint, that is for sure.  The ride is so similar, as are the current dimensions.
[/quote]

53mm is a great shape and you really can't tell the difference from a 52mm side by side. But skaters are anal retentive about these things, either 52 / 54mm, making 53mm the red headed step child. Works out great since you can regularly find 53mm wheels on clearance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4316 on: August 16, 2022, 10:52:12 PM »
Yesterday I switched from my 54mm Conical Fulls back to my worn Classics (originally 54mm to about 51-52mm now) and I really noticed how bulky the Conical Fulls felt. My pop and tricks felt better on the old Classics, but I definitely liked the wider contact patch of the Conical Fulls. I'm thinking about getting some Tablets in 52mm, since those have a bigger contact patch but are still quite light. I hear/read that they ride smooth without affecting tech/flip tricks much.
How are your experiences with those? And would you go for 99a or 101a?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4317 on: August 17, 2022, 01:08:42 AM »
Yesterday I switched from my 54mm Conical Fulls back to my worn Classics (originally 54mm to about 51-52mm now) and I really noticed how bulky the Conical Fulls felt. My pop and tricks felt better on the old Classics, but I definitely liked the wider contact patch of the Conical Fulls. I'm thinking about getting some Tablets in 52mm, since those have a bigger contact patch but are still quite light. I hear/read that they ride smooth without affecting tech/flip tricks much.
i had an overall pretty positive experience with tablets in 54mm 99a! liked em less than classic fulls and definitely less than radials but more than some other wheels i’ve had in the past. i’d say go for it, i
like the slide on em and the weight reduction is nice
edit: i’d also recommend radials to you if you can find em in a smaller size. i had the 53mm skate like a girl ones and those were my most favorite ones in recent memory

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4318 on: August 17, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i had an overall pretty positive experience with tablets in 54mm 99a! liked em less than classic fulls and definitely less than radials but more than some other wheels i’ve had in the past. i’d say go for it, i
like the slide on em and the weight reduction is nice
edit: i’d also recommend radials to you if you can find em in a smaller size. i had the 53mm skate like a girl ones and those were my most favorite ones in recent memory

Yeah, those radials are hard to get unfortunately... And I'm also planning on get some wheels at my local shop :)
I'm also still considering the regular Conicals, if I get those in 52mm they're already a lot lighter than the 54mm conical fulls. I guess that rounded edge may help a bit with reverting and scooping as compared to the tablets?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4319 on: August 17, 2022, 03:52:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeing the Classics Full measurements again makes me wonder how relevant the 52 mm ones really are. Same width as 53 mm Classics, which will have a similar contact patch once worn down to 52 mm. I liked my Classics Full (passed them on) but am wondering if I should just go with 53 mm Classics when I am buying my next set of smaller wheels as they are much more widely available.
[close]

If you can deal with the size and shape to start with, they will definitely be easier to find and last a little longer, being that 1 mm bigger overall.

I have been skating some slightly used Classic 54mm wheels just to see how they add up compared to the Classic Full and I must say that they don't disappoint, that is for sure.  The ride is so similar, as are the current dimensions.
[close]

53mm is a great shape and you really can't tell the difference from a 52mm side by side. But skaters are anal retentive about these things, either 52 / 54mm, making 53mm the red headed step child. Works out great since you can regularly find 53mm wheels on clearance.

Yeah, my thinking is, I love 52 mm wheels when they are fresh. So buying 53 mm wheels will give me a bit more time around that sweet spot. And since I liked 52 mm Classic Fulls, I feel I won't mind the added width. More like an added bonus, actually.