Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713614 times)

MacYoCoffee (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4800 on: February 26, 2023, 08:19:12 AM »
You might see radial slims again someday but the trend is big wide wheels.
The confusion with pricing can be summed up like this, wheel prices did go up, it’s a lot of work(meaning on our site I would have to update every product individually as our site is pretty basic) and frankly kind of dickish to go back to product you got for cheaper and raise the price. F4’s have gone up at wholesale $3-4 a set, I still feel guilty raising prices but I had to.

I work, and have worked, in some very different than skateshop industries (restaurants and construction mainly). In both of my main careers, most everyone had the money to sit on the bar stool, or commission the building of a custom home. It was difficult for me to drop some tabs in front of people at the bar, and it’s difficult for my bosses to do invoicing for their clients, particularly as those bosses have aged, gained wealth, and feel like their clients are peers.
Skateshop work would drive me nuts. Many skaters have championed a fairly shitty ethos where they’ll beg poor, and then spend their money in seemingly selfish ways. Trying to juggle that, and apply some type of sliding scale to the ‘homies’ would drive me towards some toxic thought. So as always, salute.
Raise those prices! Don’t feel bad. I’d rather there be a shop I can come to, and bother people, pick decks up and ramble about concave, sniff shoes, whatever my weird ass is up to that day. Please don’t feel bad. Capitalism is shitty

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4801 on: February 26, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »

First, I hate the Full Connie trend. Are people still buying Classics, en mass? It seems Radial Slims would be popular…wider riding surface than classics, with a bit more lock-in, but not such a sharp edge (as tablets, connies, etc.).
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4802 on: February 26, 2023, 02:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First, I hate the Full Connie trend. Are people still buying Classics, en mass? It seems Radial Slims would be popular…wider riding surface than classics, with a bit more lock-in, but not such a sharp edge (as tablets, connies, etc.).

I would choose Radial slims over any other wheel shape. It's so good....it's just 'right'. Instead, I will ride classics...maybe a conical (but not a fan of wide wheels and classics are a wide wheel, just round with a narrow patch).

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4803 on: February 26, 2023, 04:37:20 PM »
Anyone know where I might be able to score some Classic Full?

Titus still has them in 54 and 52

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4804 on: February 26, 2023, 05:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's funny how some shops just seemed to stock up on certain shapes and they never sold, or they had so many they always seem to have some, even if people are still buying them.

I think the coversion / shipping from EU to USA would mean that the wheels would not be worth the cost, same as if I sent some from here in AU to USA - just costs so much it is better to get Classics and go skate some really rough parks and carve around at full speed for a session or two just to wear them down a mm to resemble Classic Full shapes.

In saying all that, what would be your preferred size Classic Full wheel?

I really only have lots of 56 and 58 mm sizes in natural colour, with maybe one or two green 54mm Lance Mountain editions, which most people either love or hate, but from other people asking about wheels previously, they would either cost US $50 and take a month surface mail, or US $70 and get there in a few days by express, which is totally not worth the cost or the wait.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4805 on: February 26, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »
Expand Quote
The confusion with pricing can be summed up like this, wheel prices did go up, it’s a lot of work(meaning on our site I would have to update every product individually as our site is pretty basic) and frankly kind of dickish to go back to product you got for cheaper and raise the price. F4’s have gone up at wholesale $3-4 a set, I still feel guilty raising prices but I had to.
[close]

I work, and have worked, in some very different than skateshop industries (restaurants and construction mainly). In both of my main careers, most everyone had the money to sit on the bar stool, or commission the building of a custom home. It was difficult for me to drop some tabs in front of people at the bar, and it’s difficult for my bosses to do invoicing for their clients, particularly as those bosses have aged, gained wealth, and feel like their clients are peers.
Skateshop work would drive me nuts. Many skaters have championed a fairly shitty ethos where they’ll beg poor, and then spend their money in seemingly selfish ways. Trying to juggle that, and apply some type of sliding scale to the ‘homies’ would drive me towards some toxic thought. So as always, salute.
Raise those prices! Don’t feel bad. I’d rather there be a shop I can come to, and bother people, pick decks up and ramble about concave, sniff shoes, whatever my weird ass is up to that day. Please don’t feel bad. Capitalism is shitty

I feel for anyone working in a small skate shop environment, given most shops are always doing it tough, but increasingly more so right now than ever before.

There have been so many people over the years who always have their hand out for free or cheap deals and the bottom line with this crowd is they never accept the RRP and the fact that a shop has to pay rent, wages, wholesale costs, etc which are fixed no matter what discount they end up getting, as well as always come back wanting more and want to pay less.  This is also the same crowd that, more often than not, they are the ones going out drinking, buying weed or whatever.

Long story short, these are the people who you can do without, or if they are unreasonable even when explaining some things to them like the last paragraph, I have found it better to say in the nicest possible way "I just can't help you.  That's the price, take it or leave it."

Sure I have lost some business along the way, but I have also lost the most painful customers who never really put anything much back into the business, so I didn't really lose out in the long run.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4806 on: February 26, 2023, 06:02:43 PM »
I think a classic full will be coming soon, Lance and Salba haven’t had wheels in a bit and they both ride em.
I think having the word slim in the name is a deterrent to most customers, I see it a lot where certain things are triggers and will just turn people off of a product.
We sell f4 classics decent, I would say the archetype of skater who buys them is late 20s and not really comfortable sizing above an 8 wide board. Conical full, radial full and standard radial dominate our sales, tablets have a little fan base too but it’s pretty niche here.
when you go to the skatepark probably 70% are riding at least 55s. That Evan smith conical full in black sold really well.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4807 on: February 26, 2023, 06:07:24 PM »
And the kids here are pretty broke, living off Depop come ups so a couple bucks is a big deal. I’d rather they be skating and our margins suffering, it makes for a healthy and diverse skate scene and in the long run that means we get to stay in business.

All I gotta do is check out the sale gear topic and see how much most people don’t even consider where they spend their money, as long as they get it for dirt cheap. It’s a tough business and I don’t blame anyone for looking out for themselves. Big ups to the skaters that step back and think about it.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4808 on: February 26, 2023, 06:37:35 PM »
I think a classic full will be coming soon, Lance and Salba haven’t had wheels in a bit and they both ride em.
I think having the word slim in the name is a deterrent to most customers, I see it a lot where certain things are triggers and will just turn people off of a product.
We sell f4 classics decent, I would say the archetype of skater who buys them is late 20s and not really comfortable sizing above an 8 wide board. Conical full, radial full and standard radial dominate our sales, tablets have a little fan base too but it’s pretty niche here.
when you go to the skatepark probably 70% are riding at least 55s. That Evan smith conical full in black sold really well.

53mm Classics on a DLX 8.25/14.38 is my jam.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4809 on: February 26, 2023, 07:48:06 PM »
And the kids here are pretty broke, living off Depop come ups so a couple bucks is a big deal. I’d rather they be skating and our margins suffering, it makes for a healthy and diverse skate scene and in the long run that means we get to stay in business.

All I gotta do is check out the sale gear topic and see how much most people don’t even consider where they spend their money, as long as they get it for dirt cheap. It’s a tough business and I don’t blame anyone for looking out for themselves. Big ups to the skaters that step back and think about it.

This is an incredibly kind way for you to look at it.

I’ve seen the behavior @Mbrimson88 is talking about, sooooo many times, and I’ve absolutely let it get the best of me.

I’ve got some 56 radial fulls, they don’t say f4 for on them…I’ve yet to set them up. They looked cool, so bought them, now they look comical fulls. I consider 55, and up, to be a big wheel. It’s definitely the trend these days. Maybe I should start skating for distance again, that tends to help me like big wheels
I’ve considered getting the regular formula bigheads many times, just don’t see them very often at shops.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1944
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4810 on: February 26, 2023, 08:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Long story short, these are the people who you can do without, or if they are unreasonable even when explaining some things to them like the last paragraph, I have found it better to say in the nicest possible way "I just can't help you.  That's the price, take it or leave it."

"Our prices are competitive and aligned with the market, you're welcome to do your own market research to verify this"

Then add a passive aggressive smiling emoji at the end.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4811 on: February 26, 2023, 09:16:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

"Our prices are competitive and aligned with the market, you're welcome to do your own market research to verify this"

Then add a passive aggressive smiling emoji at the end.

I guess the difference in overall attitude with some people is so obvious, but some of the most talented skateboarders are also the same people who can never afford rent on time, or even just budget for basics.

When it comes down to it, I have often said it and followed through, that I would rather give away skate product to kids or people who cannot afford it but are so clearly stoked on skateboarding, than have the usual stoner dropout come at me and haggle a few dollars discount for something that they often don't even need under the circumstances.

There was one guy who would get wasted and lose his skateboard on a regular basis, so his mates were always helping him out with things when he couldn't buy a new setup, then would suddenly have the bright shiny new everything if a "payment" came in for him or whatever and we wouldn't see him for a month or more until the cycle repeated again.

I am stoked on people who are stoked on skateboarding, as they are the ones who will still be around and still be rolling, so to me it is worth helping those people, just not some others, so I can pick and choose in that regard, even if it comes across as being a bit of an ass at times, as per my previous post on it.

Sorry for derailing the Spitfire thread, but yeah there are some good ones on the way, so I am told.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4812 on: February 27, 2023, 12:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

www.skatedeluxe.com has them too. In 52, 53, 54.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4813 on: February 28, 2023, 01:45:25 AM »

i can't say where if you are in the US
But the F4 Classic Full Repeater seems to be mislabelled as classic here (France) when i ordered them from the distributor
Got them at the shop and you find legitimately "Classic Full" on the packaging

these wheels:
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/repeater-classic-full-formula-four-wheels-99a-54mm-42-6889927934031/

edit: sorry i'm late
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 06:52:45 AM by BALARGUE »

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4814 on: February 28, 2023, 06:49:21 AM »
got myself a new deck to skate and for some reason im having wheel madness.  i have a worn down pair of 54mm classics, a brand new set of 52mm OG classics, and some 54mm radial slims.  all are f4 99s.  i skate classics usually, ive skated conicals and conical fulls but never the OG classics in f4, and ive never tried radial slims.  i'm thinking about trying the radials as like a sort of middle ground but not really lol.  any opinions?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4815 on: February 28, 2023, 06:57:42 AM »
I do think conical full and og classics pretty much feel the same (conical full have a rounder edge and smaller contact patch though but the difference is not that big)

Radial slim is a thinner wheel, rounded edge similar to og classics. I would say they are the perfect middle ground between classic and og classic/conical full

see for yourself hé

feedback based on my experience with these 3 shapes and having them brand new in front of me
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:27:04 AM by BALARGUE »

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4816 on: February 28, 2023, 07:22:13 AM »
Also as an observation in the past couple videos from limosine, frog, Daniel dent, wknd they skate crust. The kids here are way more interested in finding something weird to ride on grind/drop in than skate the ledge spot. Big wide wheels facilitate that.
They always go with the kids. Not the 30somethings with board madness. The wide wheel trend will continue for a while.

elegant_fox

« Reply #4817 on: February 28, 2023, 12:57:01 PM »
I just picked up some f4 classics in 53mm/101a and I’m enjoying them a lot more than I expected to. I got them for a lighter and smaller street setup since I’m normally on 56mm+.

They are noticeably slower on anything that isn’t glassy, but it’s not unbearable and they have great feel for a hard wheel.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4818 on: February 28, 2023, 01:07:13 PM »
I just picked up some f4 classics in 53mm/101a and I’m enjoying them a lot more than I expected to. I got them for a lighter and smaller street setup since I’m normally on 56mm+.

They are noticeably slower on anything that isn’t glassy, but it’s not unbearable and they have great feel for a hard wheel.

Once you get used to F4s it's pretty tough switching out to anything else.

elegant_fox

« Reply #4819 on: February 28, 2023, 01:16:23 PM »
 :'(
Expand Quote

[close]

Once you get used to F4s it's pretty tough switching out to anything else.

Yeah, I could see that becoming a thing once you’ve got things on lock. Right now I’m rotating between Bones x97, dragons, and F4.

I had been chilling the F4s since they hurt to skate, but I’ve since fixed my pop to not be as jarring and added cupsoles, so they’re back on the menu now. Only drawback is they’re not great skate to spot wheels.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 01:26:46 PM by elegant_fox »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4820 on: February 28, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the way x97s skate, but they are very very spot specific wheel for me. If I can skate an f4 99 I will.

Totally agree, x97s are perfect for skating spot to spot. If I'm driving to something that f4s can handle that's what I'll use (unless its crust then I'll bring the x97s).

Shape-wise the V5 and classics are close enough where they don't feel different other than the rebound/speed on certain terrain.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #4821 on: March 06, 2023, 11:34:39 AM »
New Max Palmer Spitfire's  8)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4822 on: March 07, 2023, 05:22:38 AM »

Are those just conical fulls? They look kind of extra full. Conical obese

IpathCats

« Reply #4823 on: March 07, 2023, 06:00:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are those just conical fulls? They look kind of extra full. Conical obese

I thought they looked a bit extra chonky too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4824 on: March 07, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »
hoping these are 97a!

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4825 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:33 AM »
No they’re 99.
Conical full 53,55

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4826 on: March 07, 2023, 07:52:03 AM »
No they’re 99.
Conical full 53,55

i figured. even if 97 is more likely what max would ride i think 99a is what most consumers want in their wheel.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4827 on: March 07, 2023, 11:04:37 AM »
Expand Quote
No they’re 99.
Conical full 53,55
[close]

i figured. even if 97 is more likely what max would ride i think 99a is what most consumers want in their wheel.

Is he actually riding the 97a? That would be a major ad for the wheels. Seems like he's sliding/grinding too well for that, but I'm sure he could pull it off somehow

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4828 on: March 07, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »
i have no idea what he actually rides. I am a fan but i dont know his skating as well as i know others either. he can likely get by with 99a where he is at so that also just makes sense too. Reynolds definitely has said before on the 9 club he rides 97a. I am pretty sure most GX1000 guys are also on 97a. Jeff Carlyle's wheel was a 97a. you can tell by how they slow down on their powerslides that they are a little grippier than 99s.

What I have heard as well is most skaters just ride whatever they are given , they dont have a hell of a lot of say in things like wheels and trucks. just the shape+size  (not the graphic / colours though). If you wax the spot a fuck ton, the soft duro of the wheel doesnt even matter. i have slid miles on 58mm 95a before once i lathered on the wax. i do think having harder duro is more condusive for it though 100%

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4829 on: March 08, 2023, 09:04:18 AM »
I’ll probably just keep rocking them. I can’t feel anything different when I skate them. I wanted to try a wider wheel which why I got them. I still have my classics if I need to switch back. Thanks!

Noticed the exact same thing on mines last night lol. I think it might be from this homemade diy metal ledge that has a sharp edge and rips chunks off my wheels. My only hypothesis as to what happened.