Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713644 times)

bombsaway86 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4860 on: March 23, 2023, 10:44:22 AM »
Gods I'm currently in a dilemma. I got my trucks taken away from me a month ago and they had my 55mm OG Classics. Now its fucking impossible to get those in that size or any size for that matter. Now my local only has Classics in 55-56 and has Conicals, Conical Fulls and Tablets in 54mm. Should I get Classics or go down 1mm and get regular squared off wheels? I'm a big doer of the pinch for transition and ledge skating and am wondering if it will be affected much if I go to classic shapes again? I think Im kind of overthinking it but hey some product talk never hurt anyone

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #4861 on: March 23, 2023, 10:58:17 AM »
regular conicals i'd say are your next best if you're after OG classics

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4862 on: March 23, 2023, 12:09:14 PM »
Gods I'm currently in a dilemma. I got my trucks taken away from me a month ago and they had my 55mm OG Classics. Now its fucking impossible to get those in that size or any size for that matter. Now my local only has Classics in 55-56 and has Conicals, Conical Fulls and Tablets in 54mm. Should I get Classics or go down 1mm and get regular squared off wheels? I'm a big doer of the pinch for transition and ledge skating and am wondering if it will be affected much if I go to classic shapes again? I think Im kind of overthinking it but hey some product talk never hurt anyone

That's funny. IMHO, Classics work much better for pinch because you can utilize the rounded off sidecut more to your advantage than a sharper angle. To each their own.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

IpathCats

« Reply #4863 on: March 23, 2023, 12:28:50 PM »

regular conicals i'd say are your next best if you're after OG classics

I second @sharkin

but round ass classics are tight  8)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4864 on: March 23, 2023, 05:11:40 PM »

When was the last time Spitfire did .5 mm wheels? They have 99 duro Radials in 55.5 mm and 57.5 mm (although the stock photo shows 53.5 mm). Someone in the past week or two posted a photo of a garage sale board with 48.5 mm wheels.

I think they do them with .5 sizes from time to time, more so just as something fun, but who knows.

Someone else had said a while back it was when their finishing machine was out .5 mm but it takes a while to do all the graphics and other things, so it wouldn't be that easy just to change things up or whatever with some mistake or manufacturing issue.

On another note, Australian shops now have the new drop of wheels, including the Evan Smith mismatched colour box set, which has officially maxed out the highest price I have ever seen normal new Spitfire Formula Four wheels in this country at $99 and they are selling fast too.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/spitfire-f4-evan-smith-visions-conical-full-55mm-99a-skateboard-wheels

SPITFIRE - F4 EVAN SMITH VISIONS CONICAL FULL 55MM 99A SKATEBOARD WHEELS
$99.00

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4865 on: March 23, 2023, 05:56:02 PM »
does anyone know what makes formula fours turn so yellow? I personally like how yellow they turn but is it just the air, dirt getting soaked it, water, or wax?
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #4866 on: March 23, 2023, 06:08:04 PM »
does anyone know what makes formula fours turn so yellow? I personally like how yellow they turn but is it just the air, dirt getting soaked it, water, or wax?

i always assumed it was the result of less dye, making them closer to urethane's natural color. i personally can't stand bright white wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4867 on: March 23, 2023, 06:23:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i always assumed it was the result of less dye, making them closer to urethane's natural color. i personally can't stand bright white wheels.

I could be wrong, but I think it is more to do with light, eg uv light on half a wheel will always turn out more yellowed than on the part that is still covered by the cardboard or sticker in packaging in shop counters or on display.

As the urethane cures too, it changes colour, so even the whitest wheels can still colour fade in the better compounds of urethane.

Natural urethane is not at all white in colour, more translucent milky cream that darkens over time, but some wheels will darken a whole lot more than others too.

Just one of those things.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4868 on: March 23, 2023, 08:26:50 PM »
Sure but if that’s the case all wheels would yellow or brown as quick as F4S. F4s seem to yellow or brown a little quicker.  Some F4s are even brownish to start with. I just assumed it’s bc it’s a purer urethane with less white dye.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4869 on: March 23, 2023, 08:51:19 PM »
Sure but if that’s the case all wheels would yellow or brown as quick as F4S. F4s seem to yellow or brown a little quicker.  Some F4s are even brownish to start with. I just assumed it’s bc it’s a purer urethane with less white dye.

I am with you on that one - different compounds and additives give them different colouring from go and then they change colour in different ways over their shelf life.

Yes less white dye or no colour additives at all in the Formula Four wheels, some lighter than others right from day one too, even some stay light in colour whereas others really darken a lot more.

:)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4870 on: March 24, 2023, 05:56:43 AM »
All of the above contribute to oxidation. They all turn yellow, or oxidize, eventually.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079670018302995

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4871 on: March 24, 2023, 07:10:21 AM »
Expand Quote

When was the last time Spitfire did .5 mm wheels? They have 99 duro Radials in 55.5 mm and 57.5 mm (although the stock photo shows 53.5 mm). Someone in the past week or two posted a photo of a garage sale board with 48.5 mm wheels.
[close]

I think they do them with .5 sizes from time to time, more so just as something fun, but who knows.

Someone else had said a while back it was when their finishing machine was out .5 mm but it takes a while to do all the graphics and other things, so it wouldn't be that easy just to change things up or whatever with some mistake or manufacturing issue.

On another note, Australian shops now have the new drop of wheels, including the Evan Smith mismatched colour box set, which has officially maxed out the highest price I have ever seen normal new Spitfire Formula Four wheels in this country at $99 and they are selling fast too.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/spitfire-f4-evan-smith-visions-conical-full-55mm-99a-skateboard-wheels

SPITFIRE - F4 EVAN SMITH VISIONS CONICAL FULL 55MM 99A SKATEBOARD WHEELS
$99.00

well, they are very unique + cool looking wheels, AND you get a cool box with it too though, so...  8)  ;D

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4872 on: March 24, 2023, 08:14:06 AM »
This is purely anecdotal and likely just my perception but when I get a set of potato brown F4s, they seem to do everything we love about F4s but just a little bit better.

I'm out of my mind but I get irrationally stoked on the potato brown.

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4873 on: March 24, 2023, 01:38:06 PM »
can anyone that has ridden the 97a F4 explain how it changed the ride compared to the 99a? Are powerslides stickier, does it help with bumps? I like bombing hills and I skate around my crusty college campus so Im wondering if this is worth the investment.
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4874 on: March 24, 2023, 01:45:43 PM »
can anyone that has ridden the 97a F4 explain how it changed the ride compared to the 99a? Are powerslides stickier, does it help with bumps? I like bombing hills and I skate around my crusty college campus so Im wondering if this is worth the investment.

Slower. More "sticky." Better for crust, but only for crust. Ever have those dreams where you are running, but it's like slow-motion, and your fighting just to move? That is 97a on anything but serious crust. I was in Texas last fall. Skated a vert ramp, street, and ditches. I had 101a, 99a, and 97a with me for each, and man, did each shine in its respective area, and suck in the others.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LukodaLurker

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4875 on: March 24, 2023, 01:57:51 PM »

I'm currently on the 97a F4 Conical Fulls but thats because I like to ride a set up that I feel like I can do everything on without having to change things out for spots all the time. They are stickier than a 99 or 101 for sure but if you're bombing hills and skating around a crusty spots I think you'd enjoy them and then just get used to the feel of them over time for all your other skateboarding needs. 
"dude was that switch?"

buggot

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4876 on: March 25, 2023, 09:21:57 AM »
Do any F4 classics exist in 99a 52mm that are dyed? Wanna get some non-white wheels, hopefully in green or something lol

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4877 on: March 25, 2023, 11:53:52 AM »
Do any F4 classics exist in 99a 52mm that are dyed? Wanna get some non-white wheels, hopefully in green or something lol

Swirly blues

https://thepremierstore.com/products/formula-four-99-swirled-classic-wheel-52mm?_pos=51&_sid=3fc41f096&_ss=r

fuck you bama

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4878 on: March 26, 2023, 05:42:49 PM »

Some new ones just dropped. Looks like a swirl of pink and teal

buggot

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4879 on: March 26, 2023, 05:43:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got a pic?

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4880 on: March 26, 2023, 05:46:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got a pic?

It’s on their Instagram. Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4881 on: March 26, 2023, 06:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got a pic?
[close]

It’s on their Instagram. Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed

Swirly blues

https://thepremierstore.com/products/formula-four-99-swirled-classic-wheel-52mm?_pos=51&_sid=3fc41f096&_ss=r

Not these same wheels in teal / purple that Tom posted the link for?

Spitfire Catalog link to the most recent coloured wheels which are still out in shops:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2022/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4882 on: March 26, 2023, 06:34:22 PM »

Copied from the wheels thread, as I thought it would be relevant here anyway.

If anyone from DLX looks at this page, I want a Conical Slim shape wheels. Please and thank you!

I would say this is better answered in the Spitfire Formula Four thread, but what size would you like to have?  Both diameter and width?

The Conical 52 mm wheels are only 31 mm wide, which is pretty narrow, the 54mm barely over 32mm wide as well, so I am just wondering really what dimensions you would want?

You can use this as a reference for sizes, etc:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

You would most likely be one of the many people who would ride Radial Slims just going by the stock dimensions of those wheels, which really are almost the same shape and just a bit thinner than Conical wheels, certainly no more in weight or how they perform.

I have used an angle grinder on Conical wheels to thin out the profile before for other Slap pals, as well as doing that on older Conical Full wheels to give a more rounded lip as I prefer Classics that have worn down a bit, so it wouldn't be too hard to make something work from their existing range in a shape you prefer.

Just a thought anyway.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #4883 on: March 26, 2023, 06:35:52 PM »
These F4 99 52 swirls also just came out

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4884 on: March 27, 2023, 08:27:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
These F4 99 52 swirls also just came out
The Chromas are a couple seasons old but come in solid yellow if tie-dye isn’t appealing:

https://www.303boards.com/products/spitfire-99-formula-4-chroma-classic-yellow-wheels-52mm

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4885 on: March 27, 2023, 08:47:51 AM »

Copied from the wheels thread, as I thought it would be relevant here anyway.

Expand Quote
If anyone from DLX looks at this page, I want a Conical Slim shape wheels. Please and thank you!
[close]

I would say this is better answered in the Spitfire Formula Four thread, but what size would you like to have?  Both diameter and width?

The Conical 52 mm wheels are only 31 mm wide, which is pretty narrow, the 54mm barely over 32mm wide as well, so I am just wondering really what dimensions you would want?

You can use this as a reference for sizes, etc:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

You would most likely be one of the many people who would ride Radial Slims just going by the stock dimensions of those wheels, which really are almost the same shape and just a bit thinner than Conical wheels, certainly no more in weight or how they perform.

I have used an angle grinder on Conical wheels to thin out the profile before for other Slap pals, as well as doing that on older Conical Full wheels to give a more rounded lip as I prefer Classics that have worn down a bit, so it wouldn't be too hard to make something work from their existing range in a shape you prefer.

Just a thought anyway.
Yeah, a radial slim or a tablet is functionally a conical slim.  I mean, you could get hung up on the specs, but reading the original request, I’m hearing “ square but narrower than a conical”.

rikki

• Rep: 292
« Reply #4886 on: March 27, 2023, 09:21:22 AM »
Does anyone find the F4 Tablets shape a bit too... for a lack of a better word, angular or clunky? I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but I could swear my old-ass ankles feel more pain when riding Tablets as opposed to the smooth ride of e.g. the Classic shape. The pains of being almost 50 and skating, I know.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4887 on: March 27, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »
Does anyone find the F4 Tablets shape a bit too... for a lack of a better word, angular or clunky? I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but I could swear my old-ass ankles feel more pain when riding Tablets as opposed to the smooth ride of e.g. the Classic shape. The pains of being almost 50 and skating, I know.

For me, tablets ride way smoother due to the huge riding surface. Classics are rattling me to death if the ground is slightly rough.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4888 on: March 27, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »

Having tried them a few times, they're just not for me...Conicals are better imo, or just roll the classics...you know, until DLX starts making more Radial Slims...;)

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4889 on: March 27, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
Contemplating the pinkish teal swirls.