Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713744 times)

dipped and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 292
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4950 on: April 17, 2023, 08:24:37 AM »
I've gone (in the space of 1 1/2 years) from Classics to Tablets to OG Classics to Conicals to back to Classics and finally to Radials.

All are good, with Tablets being my least favorite of them.

Love Radials. Might be my favorite F4 wheel at the moment. Like they say, a great combination of Classics and Conicals. Goes well with anything, really.

(Skated OJ Elite Hardlines in between, too. Great wheel as well, but occasionally feels a bit too wide for other than hard transition skating.)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1945
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4951 on: April 17, 2023, 08:40:03 AM »
I know this is the Formula Four thread, but are there any Non F4 spitfire wheels worth checking out? I noticed they do a 80du wheel, I feel like n oone ever talks about spitfire for a cruiser wheel, maybe just better off to go with OJ or Dragons or something if I want that type of wheel?

I'm pretty sure the consensus on Chargers is that they are the 1 wheel Spitfire cannot do right. Ricta / OJ do a better job.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
« Reply #4952 on: April 17, 2023, 08:40:43 AM »
Expand Quote

There are definitely different ways to make it work, but the few sets I have seen others dye penetrated less than a single mm into the wheel.  They looked good when done, then kinda looked cool too when they wore down as the sidewall was still coloured but the riding surface was back to a natural colour.  Not sure if some wheels had the dye really get in a lot more than others, but also keen to hear if anyone else has done this and have their results show.

Darren Navarrette used to bulk dye a lot of the original formula Spitfires in tubs where they would sit on skewers / sticks to hold the wheels half in / half out to get some crazy trippy combos like this page:

https://www.skeletonkeymfg.com/creature-bat-wing.html

Then the Spitfire and Skeleton Key colab had a single half dyed wheel with three plain too.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spitfire-x-skeletonkey/

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/spitfire-wheels-x-skeleton-key-mfg-99d-skateboard-wheels-59mm-p26672

[close]

those are killer

here are some F4's i dyed a few years back

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4953 on: April 17, 2023, 06:21:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I know this is the Formula Four thread, but are there any Non F4 spitfire wheels worth checking out? I noticed they do a 80du wheel, I feel like n oone ever talks about spitfire for a cruiser wheel, maybe just better off to go with OJ or Dragons or something if I want that type of wheel?
[close]

I'm pretty sure the consensus on Chargers is that they are the 1 wheel Spitfire cannot do right. Ricta / OJ do a better job.

They’ve advertised new, reformulated cruiser wheels recently (the hexagon cutout in the center is an easy way to find the new ones, and they also have real shapes listed around the center, either Classic Full or Conical Full). I bought a set of the 58 CFs. They look amazing, but I probably won’t be skating them for a while. Already have two big cruisers and one mini cruiser that I ride to work regularly.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4954 on: April 18, 2023, 06:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They’ve advertised new, reformulated cruiser wheels recently (the hexagon cutout in the center is an easy way to find the new ones, and they also have real shapes listed around the center, either Classic Full or Conical Full). I bought a set of the 58 CFs. They look amazing, but I probably won’t be skating them for a while. Already have two big cruisers and one mini cruiser that I ride to work regularly.

A friend recently got the 80HD 56mm conical full for his cruiser and loves them. He even manages to slide them somehow, probably his longboarding background. I rode them around and they're smooth and fast. I don't think I could have noticed a difference to 78 ricta clouds, but I only rode them for 5mins or so.

Definitely not the kind of soft wheel that feels super slow

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4955 on: April 18, 2023, 06:47:59 AM »
Thanks for your responses on the 80HDs guys i noticed those are the newest wheels from spitfire and those were what I was wondering about I should have just said that specifically

My idea is to get a board with super soft wheels and then put one of these plastic things to stop the wheels from touching when you do noseslides like this guy has:

https://youtu.be/q3x4QeOquJ4?t=128

so basicaly the only thing you are missin out on is ez mode powerslides but thats ok the board is meant to ride over really shitty stuff like sidewalk cracks and very old parking lots etc. i use OJ 95a right now its OK but could be a lot softer to deal with that stuff. its a bit too in-between.

I used Rat Bones in the past and I really liked those actually for doing these kind of tricks ( i do a lot of sketchy hill bomb sidewalk manuals you need to go through all the cracks) but they are insanely heavy and the shape is pretty outdated. I have also used Ricta Clouds and they handled it pretty well... but Spitfire is way cooler than Ricta...

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4956 on: April 18, 2023, 06:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A friend recently got the 80HD 56mm conical full for his cruiser and loves them. He even manages to slide them somehow, probably his longboarding background. I rode them around and they're smooth and fast. I don't think I could have noticed a difference to 78 ricta clouds, but I only rode them for 5mins or so.

Definitely not the kind of soft wheel that feels super slow

I have some 78D 52mm Ricta Clouds and some old HD chargers in 56mm, those without the plastic hexagon inside. The Clouds ride a bit more stable and keep their speed very well. The old HD chargers slow down kinda fast and feel like you sink into the ground, especially if it is wet outside. But those are really old wheels and the new HD chargers might be better now.
IG: @flowterspace

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4957 on: April 18, 2023, 07:23:51 AM »
Thanks for your responses on the 80HDs guys i noticed those are the newest wheels from spitfire…

Def not new. They been around awhile. I have a set for turbo crust spots. Work great for that purpose, but def don’t slide.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
« Reply #4958 on: April 18, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for your responses on the 80HDs guys i noticed those are the newest wheels from spitfire…
[close]

Def not new. They been around awhile. I have a set for turbo crust spots. Work great for that purpose, but def don’t slide.

yeah from what i recall the 80HD has been the main cruiser Spitfire makes for the last decade
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4959 on: April 18, 2023, 09:27:32 AM »
ahh my mistake i actually had no idea if it was new or not, i really just meant i saw it in the latest catalog + in retailers, so i know they are still producing them and its something i should be able to get pretty easily

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4960 on: April 18, 2023, 12:57:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah from what i recall the 80HD has been the main cruiser Spitfire makes for the last decade

Yes, but they did just re-tool the formula and release new shapes, so in a way they are the newest.

I think they really should have changed the name/marketing/look of them more because most people don’t realize they changed them.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #4961 on: April 18, 2023, 03:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, but they did just re-tool the formula and release new shapes, so in a way they are the newest.

I think they really should have changed the name/marketing/look of them more because most people don’t realize they changed them.

yeah the formula got changed, the new ones have a hex head bearing separator.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4962 on: April 18, 2023, 04:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's the best way to do this? I've seen some people do dye only (no water), or leave it in for a week up to a month, or vary their temperatures, etc.

Gonna give it a try as long as the heat doesn't degrade the F4s
[close]

idk about the best way, but imo that was way to short for that dye to get in to anything but the outside layer. gonna be riding 50-50 creamcicles at the end of the day.
[close]

Best luck I had was rit synthetic in a quart jar cold soak for as long as you can stand it. Days, weeks, months. Just enough water to cover so shit is max concentration.
[close]

How far in did it penetrate?

Riding surface is what I had in mind, or how long did you skate them?

Thanks.
[close]

Wow. I just cut one in half. Way more than I thought. I’d say it penetrated 6mm or so. Biggest thing I see is that the outer couple mms are the darkest, so the riding surface will show wear, but it’s a long way before getting to natural. From what I remember, that one soaked for several days but less than a week.  Also, it’s surprisingly easy to cut a 95a wheel in half with a sharp knife.
[close]

I would be very interested to see pics...
[close]

Nfg 56mm 95a cold soaked in Rit Synthetic

That's amazing!!!

Thanks for the pic.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #4963 on: April 19, 2023, 12:12:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's the best way to do this? I've seen some people do dye only (no water), or leave it in for a week up to a month, or vary their temperatures, etc.

Gonna give it a try as long as the heat doesn't degrade the F4s
[close]

idk about the best way, but imo that was way to short for that dye to get in to anything but the outside layer. gonna be riding 50-50 creamcicles at the end of the day.
[close]

Best luck I had was rit synthetic in a quart jar cold soak for as long as you can stand it. Days, weeks, months. Just enough water to cover so shit is max concentration.
[close]

How far in did it penetrate?

Riding surface is what I had in mind, or how long did you skate them?

Thanks.
[close]

Wow. I just cut one in half. Way more than I thought. I’d say it penetrated 6mm or so. Biggest thing I see is that the outer couple mms are the darkest, so the riding surface will show wear, but it’s a long way before getting to natural. From what I remember, that one soaked for several days but less than a week.  Also, it’s surprisingly easy to cut a 95a wheel in half with a sharp knife.
[close]

I would be very interested to see pics...
[close]

Nfg 56mm 95a cold soaked in Rit Synthetic
[close]

That's amazing!!!

Thanks for the pic.

wow, deeper penetration than i woulda thunk.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4964 on: April 19, 2023, 05:10:49 AM »
@beandemon about how long did that wheel soak?

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4965 on: April 19, 2023, 06:50:54 AM »
@beandemon about how long did that wheel soak?

It’s been awhile, but I think it was 5-7 days.

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4966 on: April 20, 2023, 11:22:52 AM »
Anyone have the scoop on when we will see spring drop 2?  Sounds like OG classics will be included and hoping to see classic fulls come back.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1333
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4967 on: April 20, 2023, 12:33:36 PM »
Anyone have the scoop on when we will see spring drop 2?  Sounds like OG classics will be included and hoping to see classic fulls come back.
OG Classics aren't back until Summer (54, 58 and 60) and Classic Fulls remain available in special drops only though I didn't see anything in that shape outside of the new 80HD wheels.

Speaking of which, I saw some Spitfire/Gonz branded 80HDs are coming up but they don't seem to have the hexagonal hub. I wonder if that's a product mock up thing or if they are actually the old versions?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4968 on: April 21, 2023, 12:08:49 AM »

Classic Full seem like a difficult one to find, the most recent being the Limosine special editions in 54 and 56 mm black / white swirls, shown a couple of pages back via this link, page 164:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3988684#msg3988684

Seems like they already sold out or Limosine removed their shop access to the public, but the pic is still there in the thread.

* Edit:

If you were looking for anything 54 mm or under, they are not that different, but 56 mm and 58 mm Classic Full wheels are a lot wider overall, as per the pics from the wheel listings.

I prefer the 56 mm size more as a transition / all rounder, but the smaller ones are good for small street / tech stuff, in the same way normal Classic 54 mm wear down a mm or two and widen out nicely.

Classic Full chart correct to 54mm and measurements just taken again on wheels I have:

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

*  The 54.5 were the Cardiel specials, just in case anyone was confused.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:18:40 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4969 on: April 21, 2023, 07:27:14 AM »
Yeah, I almost grabbed those from limosine. Oh well, plenty of wheels out there and I’ve some 56 classics to ride down. Thanks for the info, both of you.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #4970 on: April 22, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
Finally tried out some 97a F4 classics (54mm), and they've made my old local park skateable again, the tarmac is absolutely shagged and previous sessions there on 99a 50mm F4s were far from enjoyable.

I can see why everyone raves about the 97a F4s, were deffo worth the punt.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4971 on: April 24, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »

Might be a one off thing, but a local shop here in Australia has some variations on the Lil Smokies, including a 51mm black Radial shape.  Currently two sets in stock.

As others had said before, the Lil Smokies are the wheels made from other larger wheels that for whatever reason seemed to not make the grade, so they shape them down and repackage them as these wheels.

Awesome if you want smaller wheels in familiar shapes, often in very unique options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234979874154

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4972 on: April 25, 2023, 07:02:39 AM »
i want these ^ i dont see them for sale anywhere in canada though
For us the classic formula wheels ~$50
F4s are about $60-65 CAD
is the price point more in line with what the classic formula wheels are?
The smallest i can easily find in f4s was 52mm actually and i was wanting to go smaller

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #4973 on: April 25, 2023, 10:40:41 AM »
F4s are about $60-65 CAD
The smallest i can easily find in f4s was 52mm actually and i was wanting to go smaller
For whatever reason, I've found that the lil smokies tend to hit australian shops before anywhere else. Chances are in a couple weeks you'll start to see those pop up around north america

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #4974 on: April 25, 2023, 10:49:27 AM »
Expand Quote
F4s are about $60-65 CAD
[close]
For whatever reason, I've found that the lil smokies tend to hit australian shops before anywhere else. Chances are in a couple weeks you'll start to see those pop up around north america

those conical lil smokies from a couple months ago never hit europe. only saw them in australia and japan.
i did see a load of 50mm tablets hit EU shops again.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4975 on: April 25, 2023, 11:48:16 AM »
To the DLX heads reading
Please, please, please, please please Bring back
OG Classics in 55mm. Best wheel ever and it sucks that it was taken away from us that suddenly

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4976 on: April 25, 2023, 12:58:40 PM »
What difference do you feel when riding f4‘s compared to bones stf or og 100‘s?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4977 on: April 25, 2023, 03:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
F4s are about $60-65 CAD
[close]
[close]

those conical lil smokies from a couple months ago never hit europe. only saw them in australia and japan.
i did see a load of 50mm tablets hit EU shops again.

Re timeframe and releases of whees:

I think everything else takes a few months to arrive down here, so by the time we get anything in Australia, the next drop is already about to come out in US shops, so most likely these Lil Smokies were from the previous DLX stock, that just take a while to get here.  Example, the Evan Smith wheels only just came out here, so all black Lil Smokies in both 99 and 101 duro could have been from the black Radial wheels that came out last drop or so, then retooled and shipped out a month or more ago and only now hitting shops.

The shops that get them most likely have standing orders for anything like that too, so they might not even make it up on to the B2B sites or be on offer for other shops to buy, but that is just pure speculation.  It does seem like only a few shops get those wheels though.

Re price of wheels:

For AU shops, Formula Four wheels have just hit the $90 mark, some even more but most were sitting around $80 for a while, the Classic formula $70, up from $60 and the Lil Smokies about the same at $70 a set, but were more like $50 to $60 for a while.

Wheel prices have stayed fairly consistent for quite a while, just like a lot of other things, some shops keeping the price fairly even at $70 a set for Formula Four and $60 for Classic formula or so, minus whatever discounts, special % off deals or whatever, but I think the shortages and other issues with the pandemic put that price to bed for good, now everything going up and up and up.

I think other places round the world would be in a similar situation, everything taking a while to get to EU or other places besides USA, as well as prices going up considerably since the last two or so drops of stock.  This is just how it is, not a worry there, but as some people have said, you either pay for the quality of the brand and product, or you get something cheaper that will almost always make you regret buying other wheels.

There does seem to be some ups and downs with specific stock, standard lines which become scarce, other products coming in (especially super wide wheels right now replacing smaller slim profile wheels) that all take time in the production process, but I think most of the favourites will come back at some point, maybe just not when some people would like, if they have not stocked up on them when they were out.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4978 on: April 25, 2023, 08:56:36 PM »

Might be a one off thing, but a local shop here in Australia has some variations on the Lil Smokies, including a 51mm black Radial shape.  Currently two sets in stock.

As others had said before, the Lil Smokies are the wheels made from other larger wheels that for whatever reason seemed to not make the grade, so they shape them down and repackage them as these wheels.

Awesome if you want smaller wheels in familiar shapes, often in very unique options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234979874154

If these were 99's I would of bought these

I'm looking for 51mm 99a radials at the moment and don't care what colour

rikki

« Reply #4979 on: April 25, 2023, 11:51:33 PM »
To the DLX heads reading
Please, please, please, please please Bring back
OG Classics in 55mm. Best wheel ever and it sucks that it was taken away from us that suddenly

TOTALLY seconded. One of my all-time favorite wheels.