Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713437 times)

Dad Board, Monolithic Flick and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BL0B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 416
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5460 on: November 03, 2023, 06:01:22 PM »

looks like Jason Lee riding the Spitfire OG Classics here with them turned inside out. it makes them look a lot like what our Conical Fulls look like now. you can see on the inner wall though with the graphic it looks more tucked in.
they look SICK AF in photos i have to say
especially with those green AWAKEs ;D

look like Dogtown K-9's too me, they were very popular around this time. they were kinda of a lockin, before lockins were a thing.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5461 on: November 03, 2023, 08:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
If any of your USA based locals has gets the f4 og classics in and sells online please let me know (after you get your set of course). My local says it won't restock spits for awhile so my conscience is clear.
[close]

I am guessing if they just put up a post about them, then there should be a ton of them out everywhere soon enough, but as per the higher price and maybe some shops already having too much stock, some places might not be ordering them specifically and holding off for the next main order.  Who knows really, but I think there will be plenty available pretty soon.

Interesting if they do have all sizes, as per that post.  The catalog info was more just for 54, 58 and 60 mm from a while back, but there might have been so much interest, they had to do all sizes - 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 58 and 60 showing there.
I just grabbed some from marriage skateshop's site if anyone needs an f4 og classic

BL0B

« Reply #5462 on: November 03, 2023, 08:58:11 PM »
Expand Quote

looks like Jason Lee riding the Spitfire OG Classics here with them turned inside out. it makes them look a lot like what our Conical Fulls look like now. you can see on the inner wall though with the graphic it looks more tucked in.
[close]

look like Dogtown K-9's too me, they were very popular around this time. they were kinda of a lockin, before lockins were a thing.

also could've been WI Gizmos. i wasn't cool enough back then to have either of those wheels but my friend was in full head 2 toe Jason Lee cosplay back then and he would see those guys around Orange County, i remember him riding a lot of Jason Lee boards with K9's back then.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 09:05:58 PM by BL0B »

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #5463 on: November 05, 2023, 09:17:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

also could've been WI Gizmos. i wasn't cool enough back then to have either of those wheels but my friend was in full head 2 toe Jason Lee cosplay back then and he would see those guys around Orange County, i remember him riding a lot of Jason Lee boards with K9's back then.

Ayuh.
 I’d guess either k-9 or maybe world wheels. I don’t remember any asymmetrical spitfires bitd. I remember early spits being OG classic/conical shaped.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5464 on: November 07, 2023, 10:25:28 AM »
interesting... so pros riding a World Industries wheel back then must mean they were actually decent too? I just figured Jason would be riding the wheels he got so it never occurred to me he would have been riding a Dogtown wheel (or was he sponsored by them?)

By the time i started skating (1998), Deck Company Wheels were basically seen as illegal / garbage (took me a few years to clue in i think...)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5465 on: November 07, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
interesting... so pros riding a World Industries wheel back then must mean they were actually decent too? I just figured Jason would be riding the wheels he got so it never occurred to me he would have been riding a Dogtown wheel (or was he sponsored by them?)

By the time i started skating (1998), Deck Company Wheels were basically seen as illegal / garbage (took me a few years to clue in i think...)

It has definitely changed.

Most wheels from non specific wheel brands (like deck brands) are all pricepoint wheels anyway, very few from what would be more the higher end of the scale, but there were still a few here and there in recent years that were more than that, eg those Quasi special wheels come to mind.

Back in the day, there were not as many options for wheels, with no one doing bulk cheap wheels the way they have now, so I think whatever wheels were out were still a decent quality, especially from those brands like World Industries, which were seen as the best back then, not sold out cheap rubbish the way they are now with the budget completes.

Got a set of World wheels from the mid 90s on a barely used board and they hold up really well, for the session I had on them just to see what they were like.  Sort of a Classic Full shape in 56 mm so actually what I would be more interested to ride.

They are still no Spitfire Formula Four, so I guess now I am very spoilt for choice and don't need to ride anything else, even though I have wheels from quite a few brands on different boards that don't really get skated much.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #5466 on: November 08, 2023, 10:31:15 AM »
Did anyone grab a screenshot of the orange scifi f4s dropping this week?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #5467 on: November 08, 2023, 01:08:16 PM »

please continue. i have a soft spot for orange spitfire. what shape, size?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5468 on: November 08, 2023, 01:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Watch them be tablets again =(

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #5469 on: November 08, 2023, 05:50:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

54, looked conical or cf. Dropping friday

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5470 on: November 08, 2023, 11:44:50 PM »
In a lovely parallel universe where mountains drop sweet wine there is a BF drop of various sizes of the Radial Slim.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 07:56:44 AM by rikki »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5471 on: November 09, 2023, 07:13:40 AM »

no side profile ;(

that font is what the inside of classics normally looks like but that doesnt mean anything. the person i stole the image from told me they are conical fulls.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5472 on: November 09, 2023, 07:26:17 AM »
Sci Fi also had a story image of a white classic version of the wheels. Sorry I didn't grab a screenshot.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5473 on: November 09, 2023, 07:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that font is what the inside of classics normally looks like but that doesnt mean anything. the person i stole the image from told me they are conical fulls.

these have the conical shape for sure (can't say if these are regular conicals or full though)

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #5474 on: November 09, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »
Well, they caught me when I don't have a ton of money but I'm a man of my word

maybe only a few sets tho.

IF anyone from spitfire is reading this, If you sold an all orange F4 Conical Full in any size between 54-58, I'll buy about 10 sets of them
(Cool Trick GIF)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5475 on: November 09, 2023, 09:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aren't these Indys? Or maybe Trackers? They definitely don't have the Venture truss.

BL0B

« Reply #5476 on: November 09, 2023, 04:32:27 PM »

Aren't these Indys? Or maybe Trackers? They definitely don't have the Venture truss.

yeah, indy's with a venture tshirt. also if this was shot in 1990 (looks 85-89)? those are Gizmo for sure. was looking back and Gizmos went back before WI, they were around in SMA's days.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:50:45 PM by BL0B »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5477 on: November 09, 2023, 04:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, indy's with a venture tshirt

those are ventures. well i’m pretty sure. i don’t remember them being green, but they didn’t have the easily identifiable hanger that we all know and love and recognize as the coolest, right from the jump.
my buddy had ventures on his jim t super hero board, and they looked like the ones j.lee is on here, minus the green

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5478 on: November 09, 2023, 04:40:55 PM »
About to purchase  some Lock in fulls. Tell me why I should not.

BL0B

« Reply #5479 on: November 09, 2023, 04:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, indy's with a venture tshirt
[close]

those are ventures. well i’m pretty sure. i don’t remember them being green, but they didn’t have the easily identifiable hanger that we all know and love and recognize as the coolest, right from the jump.
my buddy had ventures on his jim t super hero board, and they looked like the ones j.lee is on here, minus the green

look at his pics, indy stage 5's? he rode a bunch of these ano green indy's in ads. i didn't see any ventures from around this time. mark would've been the one on flip flopping between venture & indy irrcc. the venture from that time would been the small v, no wings?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZSugoXo1TtQ/XV4ZkxtudFI/AAAAAAAAh1o/vovtFUsFHPIrETOK7BjaTbk7RlCM1v8nACLcBGAs/s1600/jleetailchrome.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-C1LEgqPQ9Z0/XV29zT3HLCI/AAAAAAAAhvQ/ywKPTi73TVUHO5rOIXIeZcV5YTOyLcVoACLcBGAs/s1600/leebacktailchrome.jpg

also, because it's a spitfire thread i've hijacked, sorry. here's what i think are JL on some tablets from around 89-1990.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GgdIPFsOhRo/XVzLb-ko0eI/AAAAAAAAhus/VYg1iCJhiac1r4Kun-QvahSkIvpXjA0hACLcBGAs/s1600/leebacklipchrome.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:02:57 PM by BL0B »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5480 on: November 09, 2023, 04:48:21 PM »

Because that some turboclown shit right there, that's what that is.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5481 on: November 09, 2023, 04:57:26 PM »
Haha.  ;D I understand you're not a fan of wide/ full wheels, Sedition. You might be right. I landed my first 360 flip post injury (April) on some worn down classic 55s today... why mess with a good thing...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5482 on: November 09, 2023, 07:04:19 PM »
Haha.  ;D I understand you're not a fan of wide/ full wheels, Sedition. You might be right. I landed my first 360 flip post injury (April) on some worn down classic 55s today... why mess with a good thing...

i went out skating 56 radial fulls and they felt really fun. some of the best regular and switch kickflips i’ve had in a little bit.
360 flips felt terrible.

rolling around was awesome. loved skating down the road not worrying about it this and that

they look not good
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:48:40 AM by Ok »

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5483 on: November 10, 2023, 12:08:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because that some turboclown shit right there, that's what that is.

I wholeheartedly agree with about 99,6% of the stuff you post on here, but your take on bigger contact patches always infuriates me to no end (i.e., marginally disappoints me).

I recently got a set of lock-in fulls because I wanted a 99A equivalent to the 97A radial fulls I've been riding, and I enjoyed them very much in the half hour or so I skated them – before a huge chunk of urethane got sliced off for no apparent reason. I wouldn't hold that against the shape though, it was just bad luck and DLX took care of me like the total studs they are.

I love the stability and smoothness of big contact patches and the weight isn't an issue for me at all. Quite the opposite, my 360 flips are more consistent with big wheels.

The only whacky thing about the lock-ins is the asymmetrical shape, though it's not as pronounced on the fulls as it is on the regular ones. They look like humongous conical fulls from the outside and a bit like tablets from the inside.

If you like big wheels, you'll like these too. If you don't, you won't.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5484 on: November 10, 2023, 05:46:51 AM »

I wholeheartedly agree with about 99,6% of the stuff you post on here, but your take on bigger contact patches always infuriates me to no end (i.e., marginally disappoints me).

LOL. Thanks, I think. :) No question, baboon-sized contact patches unquestionably provide a smoother ride. Giant pants are easier to move in, too. Tiny wheels are lighter and give you a lower center of gravity, too. Hey 1993, how you doing? There is a lot of logic in some of the absurdities skateboarding has embraced. To me, it seems like we might be in one of "those periods" right now. History may prove me wrong, too.

Skateboarding is a subjective experience. As such, no one owes anyone any kind of justification or explanation about what kind of equipment they use, how they skate, why they skate, what they skate, what they wear/don’t wear while skating, or why they do any of those things. Anyone who dogmatically says what skateboarding is, or is not, is only seeking to justify their own insecurities or manufactured standards. Big-ass wheels are not for me. They are, however, making lots of people happy, and that's great. I certainly throw in over-the-top rhetoric about big wheels, but just because it's fun, and mostly all tongue-in-cheek. Ultimately, it's like arguing over the best flavor of ice cream (don't even get me started on what a social atrocity mint chocolate is). Whatever floats your boat is awesome, and I'm certainly no one to enforce dogma on anyone else. Nothing I say on SLAP in regards to gear should ever be taken too seriously.

That said, Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims. :) 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:56:21 AM by Sedition »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5485 on: November 10, 2023, 05:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LOL. Thanks, I think. :) No question, baboon-sized contact patches unquestionably provide a smoother ride. Giant pants are easier to move in, too. Tiny wheels are lighter and give you a lower center of gravity, too. Hey 1993, how you doing? There is a lot of logic in some of the absurdities skateboarding has embraced. To me, it seems like we might be in one of "those periods" right now. History may prove me wrong, too.

Skateboarding is a subjective experience. As such, no one owes anyone any kind of justification or explanation about what kind of equipment they use, how they skate, why they skate, what they skate, what they wear/don’t wear while skating, or why they do any of those things. Anyone who dogmatically says what skateboarding is, or is not, is only seeking to justify their own insecurities or manufactured standards. Big-ass wheels are not for me. They are, however, making lots of people happy, and that's great. I certainly throw in over-the-top rhetoric about big wheels, but just because it's fun, and mostly all tongue-in-cheek. Ultimately, it's like arguing over the best flavor of ice cream (don't even get me started on what a social atrocity mint chocolate is). Whatever floats your boat is awesome, and I'm certainly no one to enforce dogma on anyone else.

That said, Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims. :)

this is well written

it is fun to make these declarations (boards over 32” aren’t regular skateboards**) and talk trash about it. i love watching say the puleo bobshirt, and he’s just dismissing boards that are being handed to him ‘oh i’d never ride this i could never’, because they are slightly too large.

mint chocolate chip is a travesty. it’s gross.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5486 on: November 10, 2023, 06:00:17 AM »

mint chocolate chip is a travesty. it’s gross.

I can't believe Spitfire hasn't made a Conica X-Tra Full with a Mint Chocolate scent yet. Winter Drop 1, I bet it's in there.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5487 on: November 10, 2023, 06:24:39 AM »
i also despise mint chocolate chip

york patties are a fucking abomination
vomit inducing

white chocolate tree bark is really good when i find it
dont really understand how that works
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5488 on: November 10, 2023, 06:33:49 AM »

Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims.

And mint chocolate is just an ugly misstep in the dietary evolution of homo sapiens.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5489 on: November 10, 2023, 06:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote

Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims.
[close]

And mint chocolate is just an ugly misstep in the dietary evolution of homo sapiens.

Seriously. It’s like someone actually thought, “I’ve got this really great Cadbury chocolate bar, but you know what would make it taste better? A nice AquaFreah frosting on top. Yum!” These people should be exiled.