Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713468 times)

And_so_it_goes22 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5490 on: November 10, 2023, 07:08:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I wholeheartedly agree with about 99,6% of the stuff you post on here, but your take on bigger contact patches always infuriates me to no end (i.e., marginally disappoints me).
[close]

LOL. Thanks, I think. :) No question, baboon-sized contact patches unquestionably provide a smoother ride. Giant pants are easier to move in, too. Tiny wheels are lighter and give you a lower center of gravity, too. Hey 1993, how you doing? There is a lot of logic in some of the absurdities skateboarding has embraced. To me, it seems like we might be in one of "those periods" right now. History may prove me wrong, too.

Skateboarding is a subjective experience. As such, no one owes anyone any kind of justification or explanation about what kind of equipment they use, how they skate, why they skate, what they skate, what they wear/don’t wear while skating, or why they do any of those things. Anyone who dogmatically says what skateboarding is, or is not, is only seeking to justify their own insecurities or manufactured standards. Big-ass wheels are not for me. They are, however, making lots of people happy, and that's great. I certainly throw in over-the-top rhetoric about big wheels, but just because it's fun, and mostly all tongue-in-cheek. Ultimately, it's like arguing over the best flavor of ice cream (don't even get me started on what a social atrocity mint chocolate is). Whatever floats your boat is awesome, and I'm certainly no one to enforce dogma on anyone else.

That said, Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims. :)
[close]

this is well written

it is fun to make these declarations (boards over 32” aren’t regular skateboards**) and talk trash about it.

Getting overly attached to a specific type of gear and incessantly arguing over minute differences we can barely tell apart in the real world is what shoes & gear is for, isn't it? So fuck all y'all and your slim-ass wheels. Have fun getting pitched by pebbles I wouldn't even notice. I'll be over here... struggling to hang on to my meager bag of flip tricks, secretly wishing I wasn't such a clumsy ogre who lacks the skill to skate slimmer wheels  ;) .

Both lock-in versions are definitely gimmicky wheels, btw. I don't see any real-world benefits with them that other shapes don't already offer. But that also means they're perfectly fine wheels.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5491 on: November 10, 2023, 07:12:46 AM »
I am a friend to all ice creams. And I will stand up for mint chocolate chip.
I also like smaller wheels because I am dainty. The big wheel is fun to skate on, less so when you have to crouch and actually pop.
@Uncle Flea did you see the new orange wheels? They're kind of swirly, not a full on orange is it.

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5492 on: November 10, 2023, 07:31:01 AM »
Why does it spell "Fourmula"? Am I missing out on a pun or a joke?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5493 on: November 10, 2023, 07:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Spitfire makes too many wheels right now. And they should really bring back Radial Slims.
[close]

And mint chocolate is just an ugly misstep in the dietary evolution of homo sapiens.
[close]

Seriously. It’s like someone actually thought, “I’ve got this really great Cadbury chocolate bar, but you know what would make it taste better? A nice AquaFreah frosting on top. Yum!” These people should be exiled.
publicly shunned
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5494 on: November 10, 2023, 07:50:49 AM »
I also like smaller wheels because I am dainty. The big wheel is fun to skate on, less so when you have to crouch and actually pop.
@Uncle Flea did you see the new orange wheels? They're kind of swirly, not a full on orange is it.

you are fucking gross. i love that you are not a fake tho.

those sci-fi wheels look great. jeeez they do

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #5495 on: November 10, 2023, 10:10:32 AM »
What shape are those?

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #5496 on: November 10, 2023, 10:45:09 AM »
This view makes me 99% sure they’re conical regulars

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5497 on: November 10, 2023, 01:26:32 PM »
conical fulls according to their site. 54mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5498 on: November 10, 2023, 01:55:10 PM »

Getting overly attached to a specific type of gear and incessantly arguing over minute differences we can barely tell apart in the real world is what shoes & gear is for, isn't it? So fuck all y'all and your slim-ass wheels. Have fun getting pitched by pebbles I wouldn't even notice. I'll be over here... struggling to hang on to my meager bag of flip tricks, secretly wishing I wasn't such a clumsy ogre who lacks the skill to skate slimmer wheels  ;) .

LOL! When my fillings vibrate out of my teeth, at a crusty DIY, due to my microscopic contact patch, I will promise to let you roll over them with your bulldozer wheels (and not even register that you hit anything).  And then we can have a beer together, and jointly make fun of the dude with the Hook-Ups deck. :)  ;D ;D ;D
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #5499 on: November 10, 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
Just ordered those SciFi formula 4s, stoked to skate spits again

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5500 on: November 10, 2023, 05:08:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LOL! When my fillings vibrate out of my teeth, at a crusty DIY, due to my microscopic contact patch, I will promise to let you roll over them with your bulldozer wheels (and not even register that you hit anything).  And then we can have a beer together, and jointly make fun of the dude with the Hook-Ups deck. :)  ;D ;D ;D

You two lost me awhile ago. I went to the skate shop and nearly panicked and purchased OG classics. Even the shop dude, was surprised I was getting lock-ins. He as me pigeon-hold a certain way  but I stuck to my guns and got some 55mm 99a Locks in. Not the Fulls but Sedition will still think I suck. I like a wide wheel but holy shite those Fulls are wide....

Anyway, no doubt my OCD will initiate a complete melt down when I can't rotate these asymmetrical buggers but I wanted to try them at least once....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5501 on: November 10, 2023, 05:14:49 PM »

In case the Sci Fi instagram story was not saved or seen, here is the pic.

Also the link to their site for wheels, which I realise has all the better pics anyway.

https://scififantasy.co/

Classic natural 52mm wheels

https://scififantasy.co/products/spitfire-time-keeper-wheels-52mm-natural

Conical Full orange swirl 54mm wheels

https://scififantasy.co/products/spitfire-time-keeper-wheels-54mm-orange

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5502 on: November 10, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »

In case the Sci Fi instagram story was not saved or seen, here is the pic.

Also the link to their site for wheels, which I realise has all the better pics anyway.

https://scififantasy.co/

Classic natural 52mm wheels

https://scififantasy.co/products/spitfire-time-keeper-wheels-52mm-natural

Conical Full orange swirl 54mm wheels

https://scififantasy.co/products/spitfire-time-keeper-wheels-54mm-orange

those wheels look so nice. damn.

if i end up buying dragons it won’t be for the look

curb_cut

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5503 on: November 10, 2023, 11:36:10 PM »
Apologies if this has been said already, but who else would love a radial full in 101?

although they are hard to come by in 99s for that matter. Glad I was able to get a pair of the kaders in 99 recently.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5504 on: November 11, 2023, 12:00:34 AM »
And for the record…I might be riding a set of 53mm Radials right now…and kind of liking them. :)

PeteP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5505 on: November 11, 2023, 03:41:18 AM »
Which wheels would be better for winter (indoor skatepark) - 101a 52mm CFs or 97a 54mm Classics? Now I’m riding 99a 53mm OG Classics non-f4 worn down to about 51mm and apart from some flatspots they feel great. Previously had 99a 53mm F4 Classics and they also felt good worn down. I think that 52mm CFs would give me that OGs worn down feel right from the start, but also kinda worried about the 101a being to slippery. On the other hand 54mm 97a Classics being softer might worn down quicker to that goldi-locks zone, but I don’t want to deal with sticking on grinds because of the softer duro.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5506 on: November 11, 2023, 04:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Now that's something we can all get behind.

Anyway, no doubt my OCD will initiate a complete melt down when I can't rotate these asymmetrical buggers but I wanted to try them at least once....

Good point, I should've mentioned that I ride twin tails, so I personally don't need to worry about rotating wheels. Let us know how you like them, will ya?

And for the record…I might be riding a set of 53mm Radials right now…and kind of liking them. :)

In the words of a great 1980s philosopher:

https://youtu.be/GtDvmV4zr-Q?si=DtiEy2AAIJuSqqpQ

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5507 on: November 11, 2023, 06:31:24 AM »
Which wheels would be better for winter (indoor skatepark) - 101a 52mm CFs or 97a 54mm Classics? Now I’m riding 99a 53mm OG Classics non-f4 worn down to about 51mm and apart from some flatspots they feel great. Previously had 99a 53mm F4 Classics and they also felt good worn down. I think that 52mm CFs would give me that OGs worn down feel right from the start, but also kinda worried about the 101a being to slippery. On the other hand 54mm 97a Classics being softer might worn down quicker to that goldi-locks zone, but I don’t want to deal with sticking on grinds because of the softer duro.

Indoor parks often get very dusty (e.g. very slippery). If that’s an issue for you, think softer wheel with a big contact patch.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5508 on: November 11, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
While not Spitfires I skated the X99 at a really slippery concrete park and liked the grip. I'd think a 97 anything would be great.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5509 on: November 11, 2023, 09:06:31 AM »
I used 58mm CF F4 97s for indoor parks, slippery spots.
They are worn down to about 56 now. Perfect and not too unfamiliar to what I usually ride F4 99s. I also tried OJ Nomad 95a which were also great and actually slid a bit better when I wanted them to.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5510 on: November 11, 2023, 10:05:16 AM »
How is everyone liking the radials?

Thinking of switching from my usual 54 classics/54 conicals to something different.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5511 on: November 11, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »

Thinking of switching from my usual 54 classics/54 conicals to something different.

Do you like how your classics feel after they've worn down a few mm?
If so that's what a radial feels like.  My favorite Spitfire shape for sure

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5512 on: November 11, 2023, 11:41:28 AM »
Yeah Radials are my favorite all around wheel from them. Kinda like Classics and Conicals had a baby.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5513 on: November 11, 2023, 01:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This 100%. I have had both 52 Radials and worn down 54 classics at the same time. The classics are like 51.5, but same width as the radials almost. They're not precisely the same, but close enough.

Spitfire Classic Fulls, however, are precisely the same when worn. I've got a set of 52s on ice I'm scared to skate because they're the god tier wheel Spitfire never makes anymore.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5514 on: November 11, 2023, 01:50:15 PM »

I find them heavier, and clunkier than my classics. They look huge on my board. They lock-in a tad better than Classics, and also ride a bit smoother on crusty stuff. They are bit more grippy, too. Everything has its trade-offs and respective +/- aspects. It’s just a matter of determining which factors work best for you. That said, I would certainly encourage you to try them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5515 on: November 11, 2023, 04:40:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I find them heavier, and clunkier than my classics. They look huge on my board. They lock-in a tad better than Classics, and also ride a bit smoother on crusty stuff. They are bit more grippy, too. Everything has its trade-offs and respective +/- aspects. It’s just a matter of determining which factors work best for you. That said, I would certainly encourage you to try them.

I wonder too if it is something to do with having new wheels that makes anything so good right from go?  I know some wheels I have set up, I took off as they were not what I wanted, but any Classic (usually bigger sizes) or Radial (any size) I have put on boards in the last few years have just felt so good and worked really well.

Right now I have a couple of sets of worn down 54mm Radials, a new set of 55mm Radials and a few other 56mm Radials in various states of wear on boards.  The more worn ones have had their edges taken off with a grinder ever so slightly so they still have a nice slightly rounded edge as they did when new.

Comparatively they are almost the same as Classics in overall width, but have a little more material closer to the riding surface, which as you said makes them a bit more clunky, but still get on and off everything easily.

From that I would recommend them to anyone who wants a little bit wider contact area but not a sharp or squared off edge on their wheels.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This 100%. I have had both 52 Radials and worn down 54 classics at the same time. The classics are like 51.5, but same width as the radials almost. They're not precisely the same, but close enough.

Spitfire Classic Fulls, however, are precisely the same when worn. I've got a set of 52s on ice I'm scared to skate because they're the god tier wheel Spitfire never makes anymore.

At least Radials seem to still be available in most sizes in current and future drops, so that one looks like it is here to stay.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5516 on: November 12, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Did anyone grab a screenshot of the orange scifi f4s dropping this week?
[close]

no side profile ;(

that font is what the inside of classics normally looks like but that doesnt mean anything. the person i stole the image from told me they are conical fulls.

Orange is the best colour. Good for them bringing it back.

T funk did alright with the red. I'd rock red wheels. Back in the day it really was orange white or blue only.

After the french motorscooter gang movie Colours and Dre day dropped Red was now called dead.

We down for monster Kody Scott out here in sin city yah heard! 8 tray gangsters up and Sissy's down.
We out here waiting for the return of Raymond Washington yo.

Cash me ou side for a county jail style razor blade fade.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5517 on: November 12, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »

Those are definitely on point.

I love
(A)pl(E)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5518 on: November 12, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
Orange top plys and orange wheels are magical. These are bit too swirly. I'd love an Orange radial or classic full in 54mm to 56mm zone.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5519 on: November 12, 2023, 09:34:29 AM »
Also I can no longer abide Vanilla ice cream. I'm so sick of going to the grocery store and there's a whole case full of vanilla bullshit.

All the good stuffs gone.

White people need to let go one the lie.

Brownie batter is Americas favorite ice cream.

Ben and Jerry's need to stop fuckin around with this core shit.

Just fix the fuckin machine. Stop milking that broken ass shit.

We all know it was an error making that duck shit
(A)pl(E)