Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713638 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 246
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5580 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:35 AM »
Expand Quote
This ia just my experience but all of my Dragon shapes beat my RF 97 Spits on any other than perfect skatepark surfaces and they both suck on the latter.
[close]

maaaaaan fuck dragons. they are ok, but that’s about it. my experience has been that they have serious drawbacks. the bounce is wicked. the biggest problem for me is that dragons do no slide on these really crusty roads i skate, whereas f4s do slide. no speed check, no dice.

on flat rough pavement, the dragons are nice tho. i appreciate the smoothness, and the quiet.

Funny that my Spitfires can barely roll over or even get to slides if I try to skate over really crusty spots, both 99 and 97s in their widest shapes. Dragons handle them no problem and I get them to slide almost everywhere. Good if it works for you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:16:35 AM by pops »

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5581 on: January 02, 2024, 06:42:45 AM »
Did anyone catch Ben Degros on the nine club?  He kinda alludes to the fact that he’s ridding a Spitfire version of the Dragons.  I’ll try to provide a time stamp at some point.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5582 on: January 02, 2024, 06:50:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This ia just my experience but all of my Dragon shapes beat my RF 97 Spits on any other than perfect skatepark surfaces and they both suck on the latter.
[close]

maaaaaan fuck dragons. they are ok, but that’s about it. my experience has been that they have serious drawbacks. the bounce is wicked. the biggest problem for me is that dragons do no slide on these really crusty roads i skate, whereas f4s do slide. no speed check, no dice.

on flat rough pavement, the dragons are nice tho. i appreciate the smoothness, and the quiet.
[close]

Funny that my Spitfires can barely roll over or even get to slides if I try to skate over really crusty spots, both 99 and 97s in their widest shapes. Dragons handle them no problem and I get them to slide almost everywhere. Good if it works for you.

this getting them to slide everywhere is nonsense. dragons are good for what they are, but the hyperbole around them is too much.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #5583 on: January 02, 2024, 07:59:37 AM »
Did anyone catch Ben Degros on the nine club?  He kinda alludes to the fact that he’s ridding a Spitfire version of the Dragons.  I’ll try to provide a time stamp at some point.

Intriguing.

pops

• Rep: 246
« Reply #5584 on: January 02, 2024, 08:07:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this getting them to slide everywhere is nonsense. dragons are good for what they are, but the hyperbole around them is too much.

I didn't claim to get them slide everywhere, but in most places. I ride them myself so I'm not pointing at someone elses opinion and experiences about them.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5585 on: January 02, 2024, 09:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah I agree. The dragons slide like WTF! WOW. I'm just regular ole Spit man.

My heart is made of f4.

Bones late 80s 95-97 is made of God cum tho. A pal told me it's like that because urethane is like better over time. Like wine I guess. I don't drank like ever tho.

I'm an acid man
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5586 on: January 02, 2024, 10:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Intriguing.

Okay found it……I may be reaching here but at 2:35:45 he says he’s got something comparable, and cracks a smile.  So Spitfire dragon-like formula confirmed.

https://youtu.be/NV1yRnyohbM?si=23lPRgeFJmy8R95B

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5587 on: January 02, 2024, 11:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Intriguing.
[close]

Okay found it……I may be reaching here but at 2:35:45 he says he’s got something comparable, and cracks a smile.  So Spitfire dragon-like formula confirmed.

https://youtu.be/NV1yRnyohbM?si=23lPRgeFJmy8R95B

I wonder what the secret is? It's definitely something to do with the glossy ness

I bet it's Satori additives from their genius attempts.

I wish more than anything that olive oil shit worked out for at least bushings.

We're all going to get cancer in California someday.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5588 on: January 02, 2024, 05:09:27 PM »

Except he didn't mention spitfire at all? Reaching....Just because he rides 99a spits doesn't mean the wheels he's talking about are spits...however, we can only hope/I hope you are right.

Bones late 80s 95-97 is made of God cum tho. A pal told me it's like that because urethane is like better over time. Like wine I guess.

For the most part, all 'good' 97a wheels back then were amazing because the urethane was petroleum based: OJ street razors and Slimeballs (rat bones, vision blurrs too) were the best modern wheel shapes until spit came along - literally no one ever complained about a 97a wheel not being able to slide (tho 95a pretty much sucked) as they all slid and slid better than what we have today the caveat here is they also wore down/coned super fucking fast by today's standards.

We had this hill near a curb/manny spot and we always did powerslide comps (because powerslides were a thing and shit rarely flatspotted) to see who could go the farthest, you could get 10' plus if you could hold them; F4 spits are closest you can get to how the old wheels felt, no joke, but the slide isn't even close to old wheels.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:32:48 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5589 on: January 02, 2024, 06:13:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Except he didn't mention spitfire at all? Reaching....Just because he rides 99a spits doesn't mean the wheels he's talking about are spits...however, we can only hope/I hope you are right.

Yeah but he talked a lot about being a product advisor for DLX and working with Jim T. I'd say there's good chance.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5590 on: January 07, 2024, 01:01:01 PM »
https://youtu.be/yC2NqzGN-vk?si=db2UJsN2yyiLuRit

The Dad Bloard weighed a bunch of wheels.

Went exactly as my feet thought

Ogs are lighter than Conicals.

I wanna see tabs vs classics now pretty badly

Everyone loves the OGs. It's the god shape.
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5591 on: January 08, 2024, 09:22:59 AM »
It would be amazing if they called them like Leviathans or some sort of fire breathing mythical beast that slays dragons  ;D
when crob / roger offered the dragons, ben was kinda like "im good" lol

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #5592 on: January 08, 2024, 09:51:27 AM »
Everyone loves the OGs. It's the god shape.

I'm not everyone but they effectively cured my wheel madness. Or maybe trying every shape last year did that, lol.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5593 on: January 08, 2024, 11:19:45 AM »
dont think ive ever held og classics……
what would yall say about the edge of the wheel?
is it semi rounded?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #5594 on: January 08, 2024, 11:41:08 AM »
is it semi rounded?

Quite square, more so than a conical. My only gripe. If they rounded out the lip more like a radial and decreased the riding surface (so its more like a bones v5) I'd be so hyped

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5595 on: January 08, 2024, 11:46:52 AM »
is it semi rounded?

Been a while since i've held some but iirc they almost appear to be beveled on the inside edge then it sort of smooths out towards the outside edge

pretty decent up close pics here

https://thepremierstore.com/products/formula-four-99-og-classic-58mm?variant=32355535061057&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-09-29&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA1-6sBhAoEiwArqlGPnWxnptRqf0YLZa0u6HgBuQ_OYNsyxGB8FV9Wj3U_hGMTUGxhT7YdhoCxCQQAvD_BwE

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5596 on: January 08, 2024, 12:05:13 PM »
Do they not make the OG classics in 101? Might have to just dip for 101 conicals or STF 103 V5s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5597 on: January 08, 2024, 05:19:56 PM »
Do they not make the OG classics in 101? Might have to just dip for 101 conicals or STF 103 V5s.

No, just the original formula and the Formula Four 99s.

is it semi rounded?

When I saw them in person, they were thinner overall than I first thought and a little more square than almost anything else besides Tablets from the Spitfire wheel range.

Then when I skated some, they skated well and I didn't have any issues, so although I thought they might have been a bit too square, they worked well.

Once they wore down some, they did get very sharp on the edge, but I am used to angle grinding the edges to round them off some more.  Might not quite be something most people could see as an easy alternative to Conical Full, or even just normal Conical shaped wheels, but they are quite popular and people like the graphic on them too, the swirl indented rather than on the whole face of the wheel or the smaller black ring on the other side with the info on them.

Funny how a graphic can sell a wheel so well in some cases.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5598 on: January 08, 2024, 07:50:09 PM »
Why do people love the OG classics so much? Just curious what they provide that other shapes don't?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #5599 on: January 08, 2024, 08:04:57 PM »
Why do people love the OG classics so much? Just curious what they provide that other shapes don't?

Relatively slim profile with a wide contact patch, cutaway in the middle so a little lighter.

For me I mostly like the swirl graphic that doesnt fade because of the cutaway. Personally would prefer a more rounded lip like a radial or something at the expense of less riding surface. Its not my favourite shape but its good

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5600 on: January 08, 2024, 09:34:14 PM »
In my case skating came little easier to me. Lock in was great and the overall feel was amazing.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5601 on: January 08, 2024, 10:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Relatively slim profile with a wide contact patch, cutaway in the middle so a little lighter.

For me I mostly like the swirl graphic that doesnt fade because of the cutaway. Personally would prefer a more rounded lip like a radial or something at the expense of less riding surface. Its not my favourite shape but its good

what is your favorite shape?

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5602 on: January 08, 2024, 10:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In my case skating came little easier to me. Lock in was great and the overall feel was amazing.

Word. They just feel good. They look cool and they lock in well, and for whatever reason all of my tricks just feel better. Probably because they’re a hair lighter than conical fulls. I don’t like hollow trucks because they feel weird, but a slightly lighter wheel than confull feels good.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5603 on: January 09, 2024, 08:33:44 AM »

Best way I can describe it is they’re a very stable-feeling wheel, lots of ground contact, lots of leverage to turn, but lighter than most wheels that give you those things. I feel like the square-ish profile locks in nicely and gives good feedback.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5604 on: January 09, 2024, 08:50:33 AM »
Nice. I can never commit to one shape. For years I did not really care so much about wheel shape but these days, I go back and fore way too much. Flip tricks are def better on classics but I like a  wider contact patch for the terrain up here in the PNW. Square wheels like Conical Fulls and OG Classics are great on transition but in bigger sizes are more prone to wheel bite and sluggish flips. Currently on some Locks ins which are a nice compromise but I really like rotating wheels as they wear. I have radials in the pile also, in the quest for a good all rounder.

My fav wheel of the last decade was actually a set of 58mm classics I took down to about 50mm. So essentially a Classic full by the time they were 54mm. Great shape as they wore.

Xen

• SLAP Pal

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5606 on: January 09, 2024, 01:28:49 PM »
classic full sizing for anyone interested
or future search purposes

seems like the available equivalent is the normal radials
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5607 on: January 09, 2024, 03:10:31 PM »
classic full sizing for anyone interested
or future search purposes

seems like the available equivalent is the normal radials

* Sorry if this sounds like a whinge - not meant to be, just information to share.

I had posted about this before, mainly because it is something I am a little bit OCD about, but I find it a bit annoying they have never fixed the charts and everything say the same thing, that Classic Full wheels are barely wider than the normal Classic wheels, which in fact for the 56 and 58 mm sizes is not true, as I have lots of both and really used to only ride the 56 mm Classic Full wheels on my normal board, with the 58 mm on bigger setups. 

They are closer to / wider than the Conical Full overall widths in those bigger sizes.

That said, this is a post from a while back:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg4002140#msg4002140

If you were looking for anything 54 mm or under, they are not that different, but 56 mm and 58 mm Classic Full wheels are a lot wider overall, as per the pics from the wheel listings.

I prefer the 56 mm size more as a transition / all rounder, but the smaller ones are good for small street / tech stuff, in the same way normal Classic 54 mm wear down a mm or two and widen out nicely.

Classic Full chart correct to 54mm and measurements just taken again on wheels I have:

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

*  The 54.5 were the Cardiel specials, just in case anyone was confused.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 03:25:12 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5608 on: January 09, 2024, 06:14:26 PM »

It's main benefit is the graphic.

That black line is perfection. I think it's on the lock in. Definitely something similar. I had to let a homie know more than once that they're skating them backwards cuz they wanted the fresh graphic out.

The og spiral is the best version of the spiral too. I feel the same as ba. The classic spiral is too big. I can't grind 50% of it off fast enough.

Performance wise

They have a large contact patch and they are light
I think it's the third lightest shape. After classic and tabs. I assume the tabs.

They have a rounded edge it stays rounded for at least 5mm.  Flipping the board is easy with 58mm ogs. Easier than with 54 radial fulls. Wheels are really close in shape but it's noticeable.

The 58mm og is hands down the best shape in skatebloarding.
 I imagine because it's shaped similar to slime balls. That wheel was so sick.

The radial is my second favorite. I believe because the OG is basically a radial that weighs less cuz of the side cuts.

Classic 3rd after it's nice and warn down.

Og is perfect for the duration of the wheel.
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1944
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5609 on: January 09, 2024, 06:37:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's main benefit is the graphic.

Dude's got a point, unintrusive and doesn't scrape off after 1 session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m