Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 713615 times)

frtzgn95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5880 on: March 24, 2024, 01:22:01 PM »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5881 on: March 24, 2024, 01:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
og classics get really sharp edges when they wear down…
right?
[close]

Yes. Takes a while though. At least with 58s. That's the only set I've had. Purple and green. I need some gold now.
[close]

had the purple 58s too, they look like shit below 55mm

I agree. They was my fall back piece wheel till my last two purchases. That really sharp edge is meh I guess.
Looks like a Zombu wheel tho. That's kinda cool.

I seen Dad Boards video today on the 93s. He said the radials come in 58.

I can't wait to see a set. Especially since the 97s are so bad ass. And he said they don't bounce like as bad as a dragon.
The sapphires was less bounty than the 80ds.

I should probably look to see if there's a Thorne video too. Ben Dad and Thorne are my main combined video source for product testing. As they are all similar to me in different ways.

Also
I'm assuming the 58 radial is going to be about 33 34mm wide since full isn't in the title.
That's sick if it's true.
 I'd like a 1/1 swap for my dragons. Which I enjoyed but definitely prefer Spit products. It's my shit. I liked pig too.

I'm just going to give the dragons to my brothers kids see if a soft wheel sparks interest. If it doesn't I'll take um back.

Hahahaha. Lil POSERS wanna play Roblox  ::)

They gotta earn the Spits. Old or not
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5882 on: March 24, 2024, 02:16:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/S0Fn_H7YqAw?feature=shared

Idky YouTube hasn't ever suggested this channel

Holy smokes they have the dope lil black line graphic!
(A)pl(E)

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5883 on: March 24, 2024, 02:53:19 PM »

there was a youtube link on this thread:

https://youtu.be/nhi2lXmvm5Y?feature=shared

6:15
93 58mm radial sample

i followed the channel, in the end, yes, he can powerslide.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5884 on: March 24, 2024, 04:19:09 PM »

sick can't wait

here's a time stamp where he holds up the flyer with shapes/sizes
https://youtu.be/1P9Izd-MiJc?t=685

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5885 on: March 24, 2024, 08:59:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sick can't wait

here's a time stamp where he holds up the flyer with shapes/sizes
https://youtu.be/1P9Izd-MiJc?t=685

I saw that and was going to screen shot to add here, but then thought everyone now knows what sizes and shapes from what others had said, so it didn't really need a pic as well, or did it?

I do like the card that I got with the other new wheels when they came out so it will be cool to keep that one too.

93 duro wheels

Classic shape in 52, 53 and 54 mm

Radial shape in 54, 56 and 58 mm sizes

Seen people posting info about other shapes too, but I am guessing they were only the testing wheels, same with that simple black ring graphic on the wheels Adriano got too - they look really good, but only came on the special pre production wheels.

Any which way, the hype seems to be real with a few people already posting good things about them.

* I would be stoked to have this wheel graphic on any and every set of wheels, but that's ok, graphics are only a fraction of the whole thing, which I guess is why I take them off anyway most of the time.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:09:28 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5886 on: March 24, 2024, 11:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

there was a youtube link on this thread:

Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/nhi2lXmvm5Y?feature=shared

6:15
93 58mm radial sample
[close]

i followed the channel, in the end, yes, he can powerslide.

Well duh. I meant like on the YouTube. Maybe he's never done a Venture video.
(A)pl(E)

Kaezan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5887 on: March 25, 2024, 09:06:47 AM »
I'm excited to try these 93a out. Hope I can get my hands on them soon.

I liked the Dragons, but they coned really fast on me. Also didn't like the sound they made (too quiet).

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #5888 on: March 25, 2024, 09:34:39 AM »
Yeah stoked to try these especially after the reviews I've read here about them. Gotta ask my local about them as he told me no one besides me rides classics around here so will have to ask him to get the 52's for me.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #5889 on: March 25, 2024, 10:01:24 AM »
So when do those 93a come out ?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #5890 on: March 25, 2024, 10:29:57 AM »
People mentioned April 1

Dad Board

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5891 on: March 25, 2024, 11:14:51 AM »
Yeah stoked to try these especially after the reviews I've read here about them. Gotta ask my local about them as he told me no one besides me rides classics around here so will have to ask him to get the 52's for me.

damn nobody else in the entire area buys classics?

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #5892 on: March 25, 2024, 03:08:33 PM »
93a’s will be available for shops to order on April 1st.

So, they should hit your local shop that week, or the next week. Depending on where your shop is located in the country.

Some other shops may have them online on April first. I saw Val Surf already has them in store. I could see local Bay Area shops close to Deluxe having them April 1st or 2nd

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5893 on: March 25, 2024, 06:08:26 PM »
I realllly hope they have them at skatepark of Tampa when I am there for the contest !!! Will probably be a lot later until we get them in Canada

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5894 on: March 25, 2024, 09:34:14 PM »
I hope it's a smash hit. Dlxsf has been really shining for us. Good products good events hilarious times of pain.

I want another 100 years of it
(A)pl(E)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #5895 on: March 25, 2024, 10:05:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope. The ones he has in store are on sale (€50 instead of €70 or whatever) as literally I'm the only one who buys them now. Everyone else is wide wheels.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5896 on: March 25, 2024, 10:57:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nope. The ones he has in store are on sale (€50 instead of €70 or whatever) as literally I'm the only one who buys them now. Everyone else is wide wheels.

What do y'all skate? Is is crusty or more plaza like?

There's a few kids here on classics. They park a lot. Rip handrails in the streets too tho.

I classic once in a while but mostly now I'm older I like wide. Shits really crusty out here
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5897 on: March 26, 2024, 04:54:41 AM »
Classics are only like .5mm skinnier than conical fulls
They all end up pretty much the same in the end for the most part between radial, classic, and conical full.

Oog

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5898 on: March 26, 2024, 05:31:29 AM »
They all end up pretty much the same in the end for the most part between radial, classic, and conical full.

I know this is hyperbole but the 54mm Classics have a 16.5mm riding surface while the 54mm Conical Fulls have a 22mm riding surface so they are 33% larger which is pretty significant.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #5899 on: March 26, 2024, 06:37:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know this is hyperbole but the 54mm Classics have a 16.5mm riding surface while the 54mm Conical Fulls have a 22mm riding surface so they are 33% larger which is pretty significant.

i think he meant like overall width, not contact patch.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5900 on: March 26, 2024, 06:40:07 AM »
Well that Dad Board review certainly makes it sound like these -aren’t- just a softer 97… hooray!!

sounds like my next crust wheel when they pour a 52-54 Conical Full

Honestly though credit to George P for pushing the standard to this level, expect I’ll keep the Mini-Dragons on my old school big boy. Regular pops I just prefer Spits shapes.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5901 on: March 26, 2024, 07:05:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yep exactly. once you wear it down, then the riding surface is just going to be the overall width

Oog

« Reply #5902 on: March 26, 2024, 07:31:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yep exactly. once you wear it down, then the riding surface is just going to be the overall width

I don't know how accurate the illustrations are in this guide are but it would take a pretty long time to get down to the max with of a classic due to the roundness of the outside walls. It's true that the classic is only 1mm thinner in total width but you would have to skate a 54mm down to like a 40mm before hitting the total width where a conical full would hit the total width way sooner (or just any width wider than its default riding surface width). I don't know if a classic would ever catch up to a conical full.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

Saying all that, I do ultimately agree that I don't think wheel shape makes as big of a difference as people think though. Like the idea that kick flips are easier with a rounded wheel. Whose wheels are still on the ground when the board starts flipping? That doesn't really make sense. I think the main difference would just be weight and grip but you could get used to that pretty quickly if both wheels were the same formula.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5903 on: March 26, 2024, 07:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't know how accurate the illustrations are in this guide are but it would take a pretty long time to get down to the max with of a classic due to the roundness of the outside walls. It's true that the classic is only 1mm thinner in total width but you would have to skate a 54mm down to like a 40mm before hitting the total width where a conical full would hit the total width way sooner (or just any width wider than its default riding surface width). I don't know if a classic would ever catch up to a conical full.

Saying all that, I do ultimately agree that I don't think wheel shape makes as big of a difference as people think though. Like the idea that kick flips are easier with a rounded wheel. Whose wheels are still on the ground when the board starts flipping? That doesn't really make sense. I think the main difference would just be weight and grip but you could get used to that pretty quickly if both wheels were the same formula.

it might be a task to track down, but i'm 99% sure someone has posted pics on here of a worn down set of wheels they calipered along with a fresh set specifically on this subject

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5904 on: March 26, 2024, 08:11:57 AM »
i ride my wheels down that far, maybe we should start a new thread for this lol. ill post pics when i get home. i have 51mm classics worn down to ~40mm and it took me less than 6 months, and 54mm conical full worn down to ~48mm which was not my main board and that took me about a year.

Oog

« Reply #5905 on: March 26, 2024, 08:43:52 AM »
i ride my wheels down that far, maybe we should start a new thread for this lol. ill post pics when i get home. i have 51mm classics worn down to ~40mm and it took me less than 6 months, and 54mm conical full worn down to ~48mm which was not my main board and that took me about a year.

That would be interesting to see. I could only find side by side images of brand new wheels and not skated. The conical fulls seem so much more square but it's also possible that the round out after being skated bringing them closer to classics. I'm not sure any of this matters but the minutia is interesting.

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #5906 on: March 26, 2024, 09:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote
og classics get really sharp edges when they wear down…
right?
[close]

Yes. Takes a while though. At least with 58s. That's the only set I've had. Purple and green. I need some gold now.

i wore mine down like 8mm and don't have sharp edges at all. but i've seen other who do for sure. maybe it depends on the skating.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5907 on: March 26, 2024, 09:31:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That would be interesting to see. I could only find side by side images of brand new wheels and not skated. The conical fulls seem so much more square but it's also possible that the round out after being skated bringing them closer to classics. I'm not sure any of this matters but the minutia is interesting.

There is still a slight difference. The conical fulls look like absolute squares where the classics still have the tiniest bit of a rounded edge still. Kinda like a brand new conical full.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5908 on: March 26, 2024, 05:33:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

it might be a task to track down, but i'm 99% sure someone has posted pics on here of a worn down set of wheels they calipered along with a fresh set specifically on this subject

Pretty sure I had posted a few very worn down wheel pics at some point, but I know others had too, or when looking for images online, there were some crazy ones.

Before I forget too, that Spitfire page is the old one, so you would be better off going to the new one for more relevant info, pics, shapes, etc.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

As to wheels, especially larger wheels, I usually get a lot of wheels back from people as swaps and trades and some are so very worn in certain ways to make an inside or outside edge very sharp, some with a lot of chunks out, others a bit more smoothly rounded in the same shapes, so I can see some people doing certain things that would keep wheels a little less sharp, or certain tricks on certain terrain that make a difference.

Conical Full and similar conical shaped wheels are way more prone to getting a very sharp edge on them, just by looking at the wheel shapes and then running a line across them a few mm down.

Classics and more rounded wheels can still get sharpish edges, especially if they are not rotated, but more often than not, they take a lot longer and need to go through a lot more wear to get down to the max width of the wheel, by which time they are often well past what most people would ride anyway.

I can try to look for those wheel pics or take some more if people are super keen, but just playing edit with the wheel shape pics will give you the general idea.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • sup dog
« Reply #5909 on: March 26, 2024, 06:05:00 PM »
If I could power slide again on skatepark smooth, that would be great.  The x97’s are a real pain the ass, and when they do slide they make zero noise.

On asphalt and rough concrete they do great.

Hoping to see the updated Dadboard review in a month of his skating the f4 93’s
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit