Author Topic: What happened with Levis skateboarding?  (Read 5104 times)

Schneaumunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
  • Stop needlin’ me you prick!
Re: What happened with Levis skateboarding?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »
Alright jean people.  What person in SF made the first riveted jean and introduced that technology to Levi Strauss?
Wasn’t it Ben Davis? Aloha
The look and feel of hand tooled leather

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2022, 02:35:36 PM »
I know I’ve put on a few winter pounds, but I swear that Levi’s 36x30s would be a 34x32 in most other brands.  Sucks as a wide hipped, short legged person because you don’t see 38x28 Levi’s very often.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2022, 02:51:08 PM »
My company leases office space from Levi's at their headquarters in SF. Shame dylan never rode for them, would've been cool to see him at a photo shoot or something that they do in the alleys around the offices. They did have a bunch of layoffs due to covid, and i haven't been back to the office on a weekday since the pandemic started. I always wondered what all those dressed up millennials did for jobs, and i guess what they're doing now if they got laid off. Don't know anything about the skate program. K bye.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
I know I’ve put on a few winter pounds, but I swear that Levi’s 36x30s would be a 34x32 in most other brands.  Sucks as a wide hipped, short legged person because you don’t see 38x28 Levi’s very often.
Holy shit it's like I'm reading this in a mirror.

makesureyoulandbolts

• Rep: -48
  • fuck you
    • SUPREME BITCH avatar image
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2022, 08:00:05 PM »
idk about you but skating 501s suck. when you stretch your legs with em when you skate it doesnt fully stretch and it feels like theyre gonna rip but not really. 569s are better if youre tryna skate baggy shit

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2022, 09:11:35 PM »
The Levi's skate program lasted a lot longer than I thought it would to be honest. Back in 2014 and again in 2016 they helped make a couple cool projects happen in our local skate scene by flying people out and donating money. I worked directly on organizing one of those projects and Levi's was really easy to work with and took a pretty hands off approach. Had some of the most fun I've ever had in my life during that project. It would have never happened without their assistance. Grateful that they helped make both of those things happen for our skate community.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »
They helped west oakland park go from splintering wood to poured ‘crete.
They good in my book.
…But other homey was right: their other pants skate fine. The skate line was nice, but not necessary if you like their fits.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2022, 09:46:04 PM »
Are the skate jeans they’re still selling in Europe the same quality as when this was a more global operation? They have some decent looking jeans available and they do 30x34, which isn’t very easy to find in most jeans.

nevrwasben

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2022, 09:59:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Chiming in on a few topics here:

a) @zahed what’s good with them pants? That’s my size. Maybe we can get our own lickle rawb/mothman thing going on?

b) I happen to be wearing a pair of the  skate 513 slim/straights right now & just pulled a brand spanking new pair of the same out of “cold storage” a couple days ago. They really are rather nice. So… there’s that.
3)
Expand Quote
levis athletic fit 541 seemed to hold up pretty well in skating long periods
[close]
I like the 541s: roomy up top with a nice taper so they don’t spill over the heels of my sneaks & get walked on (I hate that.) I was just reading bout the 502 which is apparently standard fit in the rump/thighs (a’la 501/505) but with a lower waist, AND a taper in the leg so… again, no heel slop. I haven’t tried any on & was wondering if any PALS have any experience w/ said fit & care to share their wear notes?
…and d)
Expand Quote
not really sure but Dickies 874s are still around so I'm good
[close]
Those will mercifully ALWAYS be around. Hopefully hosiery has as promising a future, for the sake of your sig. the Dickies skate line will only stick around so long as it is still profitable. Make no mistake, as soon as it’s not pulling its weight as a product line, it’s done-zo. Jus’ business.
Maybe grab a few extra pairs at the next sale, if those are your jam, and warehouse those fuckers.
Incidentally, I take the 894 on account of the taper, for (you guessed it) no slop.
Finally, thank you @lk130 for that piece of trivia: I was born in SF & live here now, but was somehow still unaware of that locally relevant historic note. Gracias, papi.
[close]

May have to p33p these. I used to buy some tapered ones back in ...1993? 1994? They were the sheet. No idea what number they were or if it was some special tapered 874s? Do you still size up in the waist? (I size up 2 sizes in waist for 874s)
Yo boomer
874s are always tight in the waist (regs or skate line), from what I’ve found.
I’m rather wide in the hips (6’1, 220lbs, 36x32 tts) and size up (38x32) in 894s (skate line’s slim straight) for what I find to be like a tapered 874 fit.
Also, as I’ve said in the loose pants thread, 841s a size or 2 up is a nice relaxed taper fit (I like some 38x30 in the black)….

apply today

• Rep: 6
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2022, 06:28:43 AM »
been rocking some 511s for like 10 years, quality is very high indeed

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2022, 06:55:12 AM »

I would recommend learning how to hem your own pants. It's easy, I do it just by hand-sewing and it holds up. It'll make finding pants way easier, I'm a 34x29 and all I need to find is a 34 waist and I'm good to go.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2022, 08:18:50 AM »
been rocking some 511s for like 10 years, quality is very high indeed

same - not quite 10 years but the quality is great.......same for the work pants.  They are still putting out new product so rumours  of their demise are exaggerated.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2022, 09:07:00 AM »
It’s possible skaters aren’t the tastemakers they think they are….

The 550 seems to be the Jean of choice around here….I got a pair of stay loose tapered and they are perfect…