Author Topic: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor  (Read 19173 times)

quarterpound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
lol so are you gonna destroy all you’re possessions that were made in China now? If not you should be ashamed of yourself.

This is the coward’s solution.  The problem is too big, we’d have to change so much.  Yes but, in so doing, we will improve everything for everybody.  Fewer tirefires smoldering across the planet means slightly cleaner air and water for all of us.  If that’s too fucking challenging for you, then give up, go home and stfu, ya quitter.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People bring up the abhorrent realities of shoe manufacturing, but I seldom see a suggested remedy that accompanies it. What do we as consumers do to change this? Do we exclusively buy New Balances made in the US/ UK? Do we pony up several hundred/ thousand dollars and buy high fashion shoes hand made in Italy/ Paris? It’s always a slippery slope once we start talking about how we’d go about fixing this sort of thing, but if anyone has any practical solutions I’d be more than willing to listen...
[close]

Yes.
[close]

Really interested: Are NB Numerics produced in England or the US? Apparently New Balance also started producing some of its stuff in China, but I don't know which part of their product line.
[close]
Nb# are made in China. Every pair I have skated have a made in China patch inside. Maybe some of their other shoe lines are made in the US/UK though.

Do any skate shoe companies use ethically sourced labor?
[close]

Shit. I definitely want to vote with my money, so I'm hoping Polar's new shoe company is gonna be good. They should be out in september, produced in Portugal – hopefully not by a chinese colony, that is what China does lately, just producing in foreign countries, under shit conditions with cheap chinese labor so they can tag the products "Made in Italy", for example.
[close]

I get this, I try to vote with my money too, but I’ve been trying it for about 20+ years now, and it’s about as effective as voting in real life.

Because it’s the same problem. The system is designed to allow for Biden or Trump, sweatshop made Vans or sweatshop-made Nike’s, and basically it’s whichever branding you prefer.

‘Voting with money’ puts the ethical responsibility on the consumer, not the ones actually doing the exploiting. It’s fucking backwards.

You're definitely right that pushing responsibility just on the consumer is idiotic and lets the real culprits of the hook. There needs to be a big sytemic change in politics and corporate responsibility ... but since a part of my life is going through pairs of sneakers since I'm bound on sliding them on a wooden plank with sand paper on it, I should stay informed on where to get them sneakers. And if I can afford it, buy them from companies that don't use actual slave labor in something that dangerously resembles concentration camps.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
These are the people making nikes for y’all
from r/gifs

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:55:52 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Below is a link to some of the responses from the companies implicated. I was curious about Vans. Their umbrella company, VF, released a statement with North Face, because North Face was identified in the ASPI report.
Generally, the companies articulated that they don't have direct or contractual relationships with the materials mfgers who are using slaves, so the ASPI's findings are incorrect. I'm trying to dig into ASPI's source of info for this, but it leads to a Chinese site that doesn't really work. I'll keep looking.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/china-83-major-brands-implicated-in-report-on-forced-labour-of-ethnic-minorities-from-xinjiang-assigned-to-factories-across-provinces-includes-company-responses

quarterpound

Below is a link to some of the responses from the companies implicated. I was curious about Vans. Their umbrella company, VF, released a statement with North Face, because North Face was identified in the ASPI report.
Generally, the companies articulated that they don't have direct or contractual relationships with the materials mfgers who are using slaves, so the ASPI's findings are incorrect. I'm trying to dig into ASPI's source of info for this, but it leads to a Chinese site that doesn't really work. I'll keep looking.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/china-83-major-brands-implicated-in-report-on-forced-labour-of-ethnic-minorities-from-xinjiang-assigned-to-factories-across-provinces-includes-company-responses

Good lookin out.  Could all be more smoke and mirrors but the truth will come out over time and as they use as their defense the situation really *is* quite complex.  All that said, fuck the PRC.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People bring up the abhorrent realities of shoe manufacturing, but I seldom see a suggested remedy that accompanies it. What do we as consumers do to change this? Do we exclusively buy New Balances made in the US/ UK? Do we pony up several hundred/ thousand dollars and buy high fashion shoes hand made in Italy/ Paris? It’s always a slippery slope once we start talking about how we’d go about fixing this sort of thing, but if anyone has any practical solutions I’d be more than willing to listen...
[close]

Yes.
[close]

Really interested: Are NB Numerics produced in England or the US? Apparently New Balance also started producing some of its stuff in China, but I don't know which part of their product line.

numeric is indonesia, i think it would be very cool to have american/uk made skate shoes. just wouldnt be cost effective.

• Rep: 1
In a yellow three-storey building in the capital Canberra, so inconspicuous that one could easily miss it, dwells an institute behind plenty of anti-China campaigns in Australia.

It pumps out a “one-sided, pro-American view of the world,” said Bob Carr, former premier of the New South Wales. “I see it as very much the architect of the China threat theory in Australia,” said ex-ambassador to China Geoff Raby.

nike and adidas are definitely doing shady shit bcuz capitalism, but APSI screams imperialism. article pulled from a random source, but it's pretty well-known that "research" from "think tanks" is one large arm of 'murican influencing...

https://www.pmldaily.com/news/2020/06/the-think-tank-behind-anti-china-propaganda-in-australia.html

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
In a yellow three-storey building in the capital Canberra, so inconspicuous that one could easily miss it, dwells an institute behind plenty of anti-China campaigns in Australia.

It pumps out a “one-sided, pro-American view of the world,” said Bob Carr, former premier of the New South Wales. “I see it as very much the architect of the China threat theory in Australia,” said ex-ambassador to China Geoff Raby.
[close]

nike and adidas are definitely doing shady shit bcuz capitalism, but APSI screams imperialism. article pulled from a random source, but it's pretty well-known that "research" from "think tanks" is one large arm of 'murican influencing...

https://www.pmldaily.com/news/2020/06/the-think-tank-behind-anti-china-propaganda-in-australia.html

You just referenced an article written by THE OFFICIAL STATE-RUN NEWS AGENCY OF THE PRC, Xinhua News. So, that's very much not a random source, and it's pretty ironic that you used it to warn us about propaganda.
Read the ASPI report. If you find issues with the information, dig into it and tell us why it's wrong.

KingSharkIsAShark

• Rep: -252
  • Future SLAP Pal
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
STFU, all you guys are pussies and don't know what it takes to run a large corporation. $100 bucks says you guys bought something from china within the last 2 months. All you guys can go cancel yourselves

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes.
[close]

[close]

numeric is indonesia, i think it would be very cool to have american/uk made skate shoes. just wouldnt be cost effective.

Tbh I’d buy some Made In USA NB# if they made them, their other USA/ UK manufactured shoes usually retail between $120-2200. If they could find a way to keep them around $150-$200, I think other ppl would bite the bullet too.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth

In old school criminal lingo this is called a cut-out. Use a guy who has a guy who has a friend and nobody knows each other. Spicy take but the Kennedy assassination was worked this way.

Late stage capitalism is totally out of fucking control.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

• Rep: 1
You just referenced an article written by THE OFFICIAL STATE-RUN NEWS AGENCY OF THE PRC, Xinhua News. So, that's very much not a random source, and it's pretty ironic that you used it to warn us about propaganda.
Read the ASPI report. If you find issues with the information, dig into it and tell us why it's wrong.

my comment was aimed at a well-studied global phenomenon, not the specifics of the "report" in question...but i know you know that :)

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Think_tanks
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10551-018-4007-y
https://www.economist.com/united-states/2003/02/13/the-charge-of-the-think-tanks
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/think-tanks-research-and-corporate-lobbying.html
http://www.thinktankwatch.com/2012/11/think-tanks-abound-with-former-spies.html

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

my comment was aimed at a well-studied global phenomenon, not the specifics of the "report" in question...but i know you know that :)

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Think_tanks
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10551-018-4007-y
https://www.economist.com/united-states/2003/02/13/the-charge-of-the-think-tanks
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/think-tanks-research-and-corporate-lobbying.html
http://www.thinktankwatch.com/2012/11/think-tanks-abound-with-former-spies.html

Yes, think tanks have a tendency to be biased. It's basically their purpose. And their funding sources are usually a good sign of their intentions. Thanks.
Doesn't mean you can't get useful information from them. Just entails some diligent reading and fact checking.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
STFU, all you guys are pussies and don't know what it takes to run a large corporation. $100 bucks says you guys bought something from china within the last 2 months. All you guys can go cancel yourselves

You’re goddamn right I don’t have what it takes to make money off of exploited young women working 12-hour days band being subjected to menstrual checks in sweatshops.

I don’t have the balls to make my money off of destroying the ecosystem we need to survive.

I don’t have the gumption to fire hundreds to the bottom-rung workers so I can collect huge bonuses

And I definitely don’t have the drive to take other’s labor and call it my own, while paying them pennies on the dollar.

PS fuck you.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

quarterpound

This guy.  He's tough as um balls and he KNOWs what it takes to run a large corporation.  $100 bucks dollars monetaryunits says he's bought a handjob in a stripmall massage parlor within the last 2 weeks.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
from r/gifs

2018 video of inmates being moved by train? How is this unique to China?

dannyprovolone

Expand Quote
from r/gifs

[close]

relax, its only a scheduled meeting about nyjah 2 production

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 135
There is some shoes made in italy, Portugal, us and england that are probably 20 to 30 bucks higher than your average dunk or whatever. I will purchase some and see what's skateable and whats not.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
Is this capitalism taking advantage of communism or communism taking advantage of capitalism?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
from r/gifs

[close]
[close]

relax, its only a scheduled meeting about nyjah 2 production
Oh i get it it's just the daily stand up I remember those
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
Is this capitalism taking advantage of communism or communism taking advantage of capitalism?

China is as much a communist country as a vegan menu from Burger King (including fries, a coke and lots of ketchup) is health food.

Bighugemegajohnson

• Rep: -75
Capitalism gives you the choice not to support these companies, stupidity gives you reason to believe supporting them is your only choice

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
Capitalism gives you the choice not to support these companies, stupidity gives you reason to believe supporting them is your only choice

Capitalism has not given us the choice of a non-sweatshop skate shoe.
It makes ethical choices extremely rare.
This is the illusion of choice.

Plus, it’s directly fueling the burning of the planet.

Capitalism is so fundamentally flawed, yet we are so indoctrinated to believe it’s the only choice we get posts like this.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

• Rep: -9

loosenuts

• Rep: -9
Expand Quote
[close]

Capitalism is so fundamentally flawed, yet we are so indoctrinated to believe it’s the only choice we get posts like this.

you still have the choice not to...there's no illusion

Bighugemegajohnson

• Rep: -75
Expand Quote
[close]

“Skate shoe” you can wear any shoe and still skate
There are ethical shoe companies out in the world support them give them your money and give them feedback show them “skaters” are supporting them maybe if they still want “skaters” money the ethical shoe company will make “skate shoes”

Or start your own “skate shoe” company that holds up to your ethics and make bank and be the first in this hip new niche market

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
Some of the responses of the companies on that page leave a lot to be desired. I imagine the conversations went something like this..

Company X *ring ring*
China based textiles company : "hello"
Company X : "just checking in, can you confirm there is no slave labour being used in the supply chain"
China based textiles company : "There is not"
Company X : "Fantastic, we'll let the world know. Bye"

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
“Skate shoe” you can wear any shoe and still skate
There are ethical shoe companies out in the world support them give them your money and give them feedback show them “skaters” are supporting them maybe if they still want “skaters” money the ethical shoe company will make “skate shoes”

Or start your own “skate shoe” company that holds up to your ethics and make bank and be the first in this hip new niche market

Jesus fuck you are dense. I’m dealing with other shit right now, so I can’t give you a calm, rational answer you your fucking stupid, trolling question.

I think you already know why there will never be an ethical shoe, but you are too fucking unethical to admit it.

I’ll go to time out until I’m better.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
Expand Quote
from r/gifs

[close]

Can you shut the fuck up already, you seem to have an agenda. Why do you keep bringing the US into an issue specific to China?

As fucked up as the prison industrial complex is in the US, these are not just inmates. These are people who were persecuted for their religion, race, or political opinions. People who have been arrested and trialed in a private court, in a country that does not allow freedom of expression and press, and does not practice democracy.

It's not just inmates being moved by train, how daft can you be? Of course the US has its problems with systems that are disadvantageous for minority groups, the looming threat of police and the law being discriminate and harsh on you is terrible. However, these people do not suffer from a system that disadvantages them, the system rids of them with autocratic force, without reason or trial. Don't try to downplay the issues faced by the Uygurs in China by saying it's common occurrence in other countries, because in majority of the western world it isn't, you're being just as dismissive as whites that claim they suffer as well to minority groups, it's not about you for once.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
from r/gifs

[close]
[close]

Can you shut the fuck up already, you seem to have an agenda. Why do you keep bringing the US into an issue specific to China?

As fucked up as the prison industrial complex is in the US, these are not just inmates. These are people who were persecuted for their religion, race, or political opinions. People who have been arrested and trialed in a private court, in a country that does not allow freedom of expression and press, and does not practice democracy.

It's not just inmates being moved by train, how daft can you be? Of course the US has its problems with systems that are disadvantageous for minority groups, the looming threat of police and the law being discriminate and harsh on you is terrible. However, these people do not suffer from a system that disadvantages them, the system rids of them with autocratic force, without reason or trial. Don't try to downplay the issues faced by the Uygurs in China by saying it's common occurrence in other countries, because in majority of the western world it isn't, you're being just as dismissive as whites that claim they suffer as well to minority groups, it's not about you for once.
Of course I have an agenda. You do too, whether you are aware of it or not.

US politicians, led by conservatives and centrist democrats, (famous for championing causes of Islamic peoples worldwide?) cheerlead for a multilateral trade war, levy sanctions designed to pressure both Chinese corporations and citizens-with the hope of triggering full on hot conflict so as to...protect human rights of Uyghur Muslims?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:07:28 AM by nicotinewheel »