Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359846 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #840 on: June 15, 2020, 08:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What decks have more ‘fingers of flat’?
Any that have longer tail/nose?

Skated a fa with 5.8s, doesn’t quite feel right, but the ollie was great. That board is just too dramatic for me.

I know primitive works for many, I’d prefer to get something a little less ....mainstream. As wack as that sounds.

Please and thanks.
[close]

Interesting description, please explain.

What are the dimensions on your FA? Been looking to get one if I can get it one on discount.
[close]

Severe shape, very blunt, steep large nose....most people hop on a board and kickflip/ollie right away. I nollie. I don’t have a particularly good one, it just feels nice, solid. Not on that board tho. Every now and again a trick connects and get some pop, but for the most part it’s not for me. Graphic is really excellent.
8.38 (I think)x14.12x31.8ish. On paper this should be my shit. Board not too long, wb in the range of 14-14.25”....should be a go. Just isn’t. I’ve tried it with a lot of stuff. I’m the problem. It’s not the. Parts fault. Just doesn’t work for me. And that’s basically been my fa experience. And I’ve had a few. I might like it the first day, but never the second and onward.
[close]

Thanks for the detailed reply and get what you mean completely. It's a so-so deck experience, when it slaps its great but it's less common than you would like. Those dimension look great, right up my alley too.

Did you pair them with Venture cast or forged?
[close]

I’ve tried it with venture cast 5.8, Indy 159, cast thunder 149, ace 44. With ventures was the best pop. 159s were great the first day, too beast after that.

Damn, sounds like serious gear madness. I've narrowed my trucks down to Thunders, Ventures and Tensors. I'll stick to my unused stack of boards before going down this rabbit hole again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

drunk guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #841 on: June 15, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Skated a fa with 5.8s, doesn’t quite feel right, but the ollie was great. That board is just too dramatic for me.

I know primitive works for many, I’d prefer to get something a little less ....mainstream. As wack as that sounds.

Please and thanks.
[close]

Interesting description, please explain.

What are the dimensions on your FA? Been looking to get one if I can get it one on discount.
[close]

Severe shape, very blunt, steep large nose....most people hop on a board and kickflip/ollie right away. I nollie. I don’t have a particularly good one, it just feels nice, solid. Not on that board tho. Every now and again a trick connects and get some pop, but for the most part it’s not for me. Graphic is really excellent.
8.38 (I think)x14.12x31.8ish. On paper this should be my shit. Board not too long, wb in the range of 14-14.25”....should be a go. Just isn’t. I’ve tried it with a lot of stuff. I’m the problem. It’s not the. Parts fault. Just doesn’t work for me. And that’s basically been my fa experience. And I’ve had a few. I might like it the first day, but never the second and onward.
[close]

Thanks for the detailed reply and get what you mean completely. It's a so-so deck experience, when it slaps its great but it's less common than you would like. Those dimension look great, right up my alley too.

Did you pair them with Venture cast or forged?
[close]

I’ve tried it with venture cast 5.8, Indy 159, cast thunder 149, ace 44. With ventures was the best pop. 159s were great the first day, too beast after that.
[close]

Damn, sounds like serious gear madness. I've narrowed my trucks down to Thunders, Ventures and Tensors. I'll stick to my unused stack of boards before going down this rabbit hole again.
Switching trucks that many times would give me the most anxiety

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #842 on: June 15, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
Switching trucks is shameful. And also doesn’t work.

Until it does.
Don’t do it

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #843 on: June 16, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »

Please and thanks.

Hopps Visit Traffic... all these boards have been kind on the Manny pad. They all come from the same place I'm pretty sure.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #844 on: June 16, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

Hopps Visit Traffic... all these boards have been kind on the Manny pad. They all come from the same place I'm pretty sure.

Thanks!
Appreciate you

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #845 on: June 16, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
Traffic decks are  8)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #846 on: June 16, 2020, 07:35:40 PM »

Until it does.
Don’t do it

lol

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: June 16, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Until it does.
Don’t do it
[close]

lol

I feel personally attacked

shamefully looks at collection of 15 pairs of trucks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #848 on: June 16, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Until it does.
Don’t do it
[close]

lol
[close]

Ha.
I’ve to have too much metal. Whatever. Share with someone in need of it is feeling too greedy. It’s fun to swap shit about. But. I’ve been complaining about this fa board, the steep nose/tail, constantly switching the trucks. Was going to switch the trucks tonight, but instead decided to grab the last little bit of daylight and cruise around. Had one of those very rare moments were it all seemed to be working. That’s the problem I have with too much stuff: I never overcome/adjust. I just go straight to fucking around with parts. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #849 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Until it does.
Don’t do it
[close]

lol
[close]

[close]

Ha.
I’ve to have too much metal. Whatever. Share with someone in need of it is feeling too greedy. It’s fun to swap shit about. But. I’ve been complaining about this fa board, the steep nose/tail, constantly switching the trucks. Was going to switch the trucks tonight, but instead decided to grab the last little bit of daylight and cruise around. Had one of those very rare moments were it all seemed to be working. That’s the problem I have with too much stuff: I never overcome/adjust. I just go straight to fucking around with parts.

I get lazy to take off and on my trucks; takes time away from being on the board. My country is finally coming out of lockdown this Friday and parks are reopening. I'm stuck with analysis paralysis; too many boards and too truck combinations. I'm pre-maturely retiring my COVID setup (Real Kyle Walker), I'll leave it in the park for someone who needs it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #850 on: June 17, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
I religiously ride the 32x8.25 DLX shape with a 14.38 WB (II and III are my faves. IV is a tad too flat, I is a tad too steep). 144 Indy ti, and 53mm Spit Classics.

I hate everything NHS and have wanted to get off Indy for years, but have yet to find another truck that I really like.

Aces do turn great, but they are heavy as fuck, and the shorter wheel base really makes my feet feel too cramped/less stable, esp on any 1-truck grind (5-0, nose grinds, Smith, etc). Ollies feel like I am loosing power, as if swinging a baseball bat while holding the middle of bat rather than the end. 

Thunders have a much slower/sluggish turn. The longer wheelbase is noticeable on flip tricks/more effort, but this is somewhat off-set by lighter weight. Lower height makes pop feel wonky. All of these issue I can somewhat deal with. My major sticking point with Thunders is that inane wheel/baseplate clearance issue. I don't want to be forced to use turbostupid amounts of wax on a ledge to get a decent nose/tail slide without the wheels sticking.

So...I'm thinking of revisiting Ventures. It's been a minute. After reading everything in this thread, I'm thinking about 5.6 cast. I don't want to go too crazy with extending the wheelbase (e.g. forged, but lighter would be nice).

Has anyone gone from a 14.38 with Indys to Ventures? if so, what were your thoughts? I didn't seem to see anyone mention that specific scenario in the previous 20+ pages of this thread.

Well, my pair of 5.6 came a few days ago. Been skating them this week with various different bushing/washer configurations, and I just can't hang with them. I wanted to like Ventures a lot. I want to be done with Indys, but I just can't seem to quit them. The Venture wheelbase is just too long for me. Everything felt sluggish, kickflips to kickturns. I didn't like the manual balance point, and even something like just turning/carving wasn't as much fun. So, I am back on the Indys, yet again.

Why can't/won't DLX make a truck with a shorter wheelbase option?   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #851 on: June 17, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I religiously ride the 32x8.25 DLX shape with a 14.38 WB (II and III are my faves. IV is a tad too flat, I is a tad too steep). 144 Indy ti, and 53mm Spit Classics.

I hate everything NHS and have wanted to get off Indy for years, but have yet to find another truck that I really like.

Aces do turn great, but they are heavy as fuck, and the shorter wheel base really makes my feet feel too cramped/less stable, esp on any 1-truck grind (5-0, nose grinds, Smith, etc). Ollies feel like I am loosing power, as if swinging a baseball bat while holding the middle of bat rather than the end. 

Thunders have a much slower/sluggish turn. The longer wheelbase is noticeable on flip tricks/more effort, but this is somewhat off-set by lighter weight. Lower height makes pop feel wonky. All of these issue I can somewhat deal with. My major sticking point with Thunders is that inane wheel/baseplate clearance issue. I don't want to be forced to use turbostupid amounts of wax on a ledge to get a decent nose/tail slide without the wheels sticking.

So...I'm thinking of revisiting Ventures. It's been a minute. After reading everything in this thread, I'm thinking about 5.6 cast. I don't want to go too crazy with extending the wheelbase (e.g. forged, but lighter would be nice).

Has anyone gone from a 14.38 with Indys to Ventures? if so, what were your thoughts? I didn't seem to see anyone mention that specific scenario in the previous 20+ pages of this thread.
[close]

Well, my pair of 5.6 came a few days ago. Been skating them this week with various different bushing/washer configurations, and I just can't hang with them. I wanted to like Ventures a lot. I want to be done with Indys, but I just can't seem to quit them. The Venture wheelbase is just too long for me. Everything felt sluggish, kickflips to kickturns. I didn't like the manual balance point, and even something like just turning/carving wasn't as much fun. So, I am back on the Indys, yet again.

You over them let me know. I’m trying to get the 5.6s

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: June 17, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It takes a little while to normalcy. Keep pushing or set up two boards. You can do it. Anyone can make the switch I swear.

I love my 5.6 it was kinda difficult for me coming off aces but this helps.

I'm bummed on broken bones now I got used to the stock bushings but it's all I got rn. I'm telling you it's the way to transition easily from Indy.
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #853 on: June 17, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It takes a little while to normalcy. Keep pushing or set up two boards. You can do it. Anyone can make the switch I swear.

I love my 5.6 it was kinda difficult for me coming off aces but this helps.

I'm bummed on broken bones now I got used to the stock bushings but it's all I got rn. I'm telling you it's the way to transition easily from Indy.

Agree with Banned for sure. Bones work great from jump, I like the stocks too. Ventures are a really great/durable truck. Pop is the best.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #854 on: June 17, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
Whenever I try a new truck, first thing I do is ride it stock, to see what it feels like. I had/have Bones bushing in my Indys. After trying the stock bushings for a while (purple ones), I put my Bones bushings in...and I HATED it. The slow, sluggish, numb-feeling turn seemed to be exacerbated with the Bones bushings. I skated it for about 5 min, and then put the stock back in, and like that MUCH better (looser turn). 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: June 17, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
They gotta break. The plastic tops need to be cracked up

Stock is the best with a flat washer.
(A)pl(E)

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #856 on: June 17, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »

Got some stocks headed your way tomorrow big dawg

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: June 17, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
d

So sick

Boog

• Rep: 200
« Reply #858 on: June 17, 2020, 04:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

Anti hero 8.5 pigeon budgie board is perfect for venture 5.8. high standards. Almost 3 fingers of flat before the nose and tail and they're both longer than usual too. That's what I'm on and plan on getting extras.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #859 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

[close]
Anti hero 8.5 pigeon budgie board is perfect for venture 5.8. high standards. Almost 3 fingers of flat before the nose and tail and they're both longer than usual too. That's what I'm on and plan on getting extras.

If it's the same deck as the krooked team eyes 8.5 it is a very fine combo with 5.6s as well
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:54:15 PM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

Boog

« Reply #860 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love my venture 5.8 on my 8.5 with 14.38wb anti hero. It has a longer nose and tail with about 3 fingers of flat before the kicks so that probably helps too. I'd give it a try. Just get cast with bones bushings. Best truck setup I've had.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: June 17, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes!!! You rule
(A)pl(E)

Boog

« Reply #862 on: June 17, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

[close]
[close]

If it's the same deck as the krooked team eyes 8.5 it is a very fine combo with 5.6s as well
It most likely is. Dlx is my favorite for sure. I go back and forth between real, krooked, and AH.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: June 17, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
It most likely is. Dlx is my favorite for sure. I go back and forth between real, krooked, and AH.

Thanks all!! Really appreciated

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #864 on: June 17, 2020, 05:37:00 PM »
haha damn, Ok- you got plenty of responses it seems but to add on...
i’m currently skating my 5.8s on a Real full SE 8.5. comes in at 32.2 long and with a 14.25wb. it was listed as 14.38 but definitely shorter. also has about 3 fingers of flat on tail and nose, maybe just under on the tail and spot on 3 for the nose actually

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2020, 06:21:03 PM »
Has anyone had success on hockey/fa boards with Ventures? Im waiting on wheels to finish this setup, but I just put some 5.6s on it and I'm not sure how well the steep nose and tail will work with them. I dont straye from Venture so Im hoping it won't be too bad.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #866 on: June 17, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
Has anyone had success on hockey/fa boards with Ventures? Im waiting on wheels to finish this setup, but I just put some 5.6s on it and I'm not sure how well the steep nose and tail will work with them. I dont straye from Venture so Im hoping it won't be too bad.
They’re small WB boards. Just chunky square shapes.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #867 on: June 17, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They’re small WB boards. Just chunky square shapes.
I'm definitely digging the shape. I will be bummed if its awkward with Ventures.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »
Setup a few different boards over the past two weeks and swapped trucks across all of them (Vent/Thun/Tens/ML).

Apparently my time on Venture really got me feeling them, today oddly, after skating thunders for a few days, I put the vents on a 14.3 wb and it felt like old shoes, have to see how trick consistency is over time tho.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yes!!! You rule
shit you love to see

Assflea  you are nearby me I’m down in Providence I got some extra bearings I’ll send your way i know you  said you always look for them to clean up and pass on