Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359803 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2670 on: March 30, 2022, 12:41:35 PM »
Indy with forged is the worst….it’s like a Beibel upper body with Mcrank’s legs…..

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -28
« Reply #2671 on: March 30, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
Have been thinking about swapping from thunder 148 hollow lights to Venture 5.6 v lights on my Quasi 8.25”x32.25”x14.4”.
Im on the 3-4th consecutive board on the same shape and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar setup as im going to keep whatever trucks i buy until they break

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2672 on: March 30, 2022, 03:19:19 PM »
Have been thinking about swapping from thunder 148 hollow lights to Venture 5.6 v lights on my Quasi 8.25”x32.25”x14.4”.
Im on the 3-4th consecutive board on the same shape and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar setup as im going to keep whatever trucks i buy until they break

I’m considering trying 5.2 hi on that shape or 5.8 on the Quasi 8.5 which has the same dimensions everywhere else.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2673 on: March 31, 2022, 08:40:20 AM »
Indy with forged is the worst….it’s like a Beibel upper body with Mcrank’s legs…..

I don't agree at all. Indy forged hollows are probably my fav trucks I've tried.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2674 on: March 31, 2022, 10:26:44 AM »
I have not tried them….merely looked at them….same goes for beibel/mcrank…..

I see the value of lightening and lowering an Indy….it doesn’t make it right.  I get when guys just strictly go raw on everything. 

Despite my feelings of what I deem ‘right’, the venture 5.6 v-lightsis a good all around truck and meets current standards.  I can put my board in front of anyone and they can skate them.  I just ordered a set of hollows. 

IpathCats

« Reply #2675 on: March 31, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »

While I can't relate to this particular subset of madness. I appreciate and respect you for being honest about it. HATE ON brother. I'm currently on forged indy titaniums btw lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2676 on: March 31, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »
When I go into a shop and ask if they have Ti Ventures…..when they say no…..I don’t ask why…..I come here….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2677 on: March 31, 2022, 02:32:13 PM »
I’ve tried just about every Indy and forged ti are lowest on my list, then Mids, then forged hollows, and at the top is standard hollows. And all I skate is ledges these days.

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -28
« Reply #2678 on: April 02, 2022, 06:10:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m considering trying 5.2 hi on that shape or 5.8 on the Quasi 8.5 which has the same dimensions everywhere else.

Set them up and had a first skate on that setup yesterday. Other than the wheels looking abnormally spaced apart it feels great. All my tricks feel smoother and mannys/nose mannys are great too despite the large wheelbase

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2679 on: April 05, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
I used Venture back in the mid-90s and have recently started skating again but bought some Indys because....well everyone rates them and rides them.  But, I'm thinking I'm not an Indy guy since they just don't feel very stable.
Now I've bought some Venture V-Hollow 5.8 and need to replace the bushings as I like my trucks super tight.  Will Bones bushings work well in these and should I just use the top flat washer without any bottom washer?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2680 on: April 05, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »
I used Venture back in the mid-90s and have recently started skating again but bought some Indys because....well everyone rates them and rides them.  But, I'm thinking I'm not an Indy guy since they just don't feel very stable.
Now I've bought some Venture V-Hollow 5.8 and need to replace the bushings as I like my trucks super tight.  Will Bones bushings work well in these and should I just use the top flat washer without any bottom washer?
Just run them stock for now and tighten it to your liking. The flat washer will free up the turn a bit, if you wish to go that route. Removing the bottom washer will slightly change the geometry and make it feel less stable, i imagine.

If the stock bushings (which are 90a) are too soft for you, then you can try aftermarket indy bushings or deluxe supercush with a higher duro. The Bones bottom bushing are a conical style, whereas the options i mentioned earlier offer the barrel bottom bushing which are the same height as Venture stock. conical will be less stable compared to barrel

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2681 on: April 05, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »

Bones bushings are pretty tall (at least before they’re broken in), so they make Ventures feel tight at first. If you like that, I’d probably recommend the hard ones, which should break in to a nice medium.

Supercush (Deluxe Bait & Tackle) 94s/97s would be the proper aftermarket option.

Indy 94s/96s would also be a good option (specifically the barrel shape 94s; the conical 94s feel a bit more medium on Ventures).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2682 on: April 05, 2022, 11:53:45 AM »
I’d follow up on the barrel bushings as everyone has mentioned.  The bones conical with the flat washer will lead to the truck being more turny. 

You might just give it a bit of time too.  I suspect you’re a lot different and the 5.8 is so far from what a Venture was in the 90’s.  They are still good trucks IMO. I normally have skated trucks ‘medium’ aka tight and have 5.6’s, now I have them down to a medium loose with bones and I like it a lot. 

Welcome back. 

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2683 on: April 05, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »
How do you all feel about 5.2hi? I’m going from 5.2lo and trying the hi

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2684 on: April 05, 2022, 08:19:30 PM »
Goes against everything I believe in but my friend is skating them and loves them.  Puts them on an 8.125….with conicals no washer……seems like a decent idea.  You get a might more turn..with forged plates it’s still a lower truck.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2685 on: April 06, 2022, 06:36:48 AM »
So me and another awake lad was talking to the potential convert about my trucks. I passed my board over to him. POW KICKFLIP! I was like YEAH! Convert goes man this board has pop! I’m like venture trucks my man. The fellow venture rider goes make the switch kid. Yo kalis Kalis dog. Need we say more?

Potential convert goes
I been thinking about trying krux for my next truck. I started my next sentence gingerly but I ended with

You don’t wanna do that man, krux is some kook shit.

The awake homie started laughing. I was like gimme my board man. Lol

This kid is the most talented beginner I’ve ever seen I had to educate him on the sting of making poor choices in gear lol.

That is all for now. Lol krux
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2686 on: April 06, 2022, 07:20:18 AM »
I’d follow up on the barrel bushings as everyone has mentioned.  The bones conical with the flat washer will lead to the truck being more turny. 

You might just give it a bit of time too.  I suspect you’re a lot different and the 5.8 is so far from what a Venture was in the 90’s.  They are still good trucks IMO. I normally have skated trucks ‘medium’ aka tight and have 5.6’s, now I have them down to a medium loose with bones and I like it a lot. 

Welcome back.

What do you define as medium loose with bones in ventures in terms of threads showing? I’m about 200 lbs and have bones hards with flat washers in my 5.6 (cast baseplate), front one I ride sub flush basically hand turned and back truck I have exactly flush w/o any threads showing. I’m on 53mm spit classic f4 wheels and 14 WB 8.18 fa/hockey shape for reference.

I tested tightening them a bit to front truck flush back truck 1 thread showing and pop was better but turn was more delayed and it wasn’t as fun to ride so I went back. Almost seems like you can’t get them actually “loose” w/o removing the top washer as there’s not enough room, but when I took top washer out stability felt off it was very tippy and I couldn’t get used to it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 07:27:58 AM by Pee nis »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #2687 on: April 06, 2022, 08:49:17 AM »
Expand Quote

Welcome back.
[close]

What do you define as medium loose with bones in ventures in terms of threads showing? I’m about 200 lbs and have bones hards with flat washers in my 5.6 (cast baseplate), front one I ride sub flush basically hand turned and back truck I have exactly flush w/o any threads showing. I’m on 53mm spit classic f4 wheels and 14 WB 8.18 fa/hockey shape for reference.

I tested tightening them a bit to front truck flush back truck 1 thread showing and pop was better but turn was more delayed and it wasn’t as fun to ride so I went back. Almost seems like you can’t get them actually “loose” w/o removing the top washer as there’s not enough room, but when I took top washer out stability felt off it was very tippy and I couldn’t get used to it.

Prince(ss) and the pee nis

For me, with ventures and bones bushings, using only the top washer, flush would still have a lot of turn. I weigh 170 ish. I don’t like that floppy jangly truck shit, to me, in my opinion, it’s gross. I did succumb to that bullshit years ago, and just ran the trucks with no tip or bottom washers and bones. Disgusting.
Bones hards take a little while to break in. Trucks in general do. Maybe you have already done this. If not, go fuck yourself. I mean go break them in and be stoked.
Alternatively maybe ventures aren’t for you? Ace have that squirrelly turn. Could be the move.

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2688 on: April 06, 2022, 09:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Welcome back.
[close]

[close]

For me, with ventures and bones bushings, using only the top washer, flush would still have a lot of turn. I weigh 170 ish. I don’t like that floppy jangly truck shit, to me, in my opinion, it’s gross. I did succumb to that bullshit years ago, and just ran the trucks with no tip or bottom washers and bones. Disgusting.
Bones hards take a little while to break in. Trucks in general do. Maybe you have already done this. If not, go fuck yourself. I mean go break them in and be stoked.
Alternatively maybe ventures aren’t for you? Ace have that squirrelly turn. Could be the move.

I got some hard Bones bushings and tried them in my Ventures but they don't sit right.  The bottom bushing isn't tall enough without the washer and the hanger sits at a slight angle.  I got some super hard Indy barrel bushings and they fit just fine.  Still a bit loose though, I guess they'll tighten up after a few sessions?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2689 on: April 06, 2022, 11:07:38 AM »
Conical bushings for more turn, barrel for more stability. I haven’t had those indy bushings, so I don’t know if they firm up, but I’ve had quite a few bushing like that.
It’s been awhile since I’ve run bones bushings in ventures, that was my go to for quite some time. Maybe they don’t fit right. These days I tend to run everything stock, including the top washer, and then just wait for the trucks to break in. I can see why some wouldn’t want to do that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2690 on: April 06, 2022, 11:30:49 AM »
I’m skating bones medium with flat washer, no threads above the nut….

I weigh 135lbs….skate slow and never Ollie off of something that I cannot Ollie up….

Party on…..

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2691 on: April 06, 2022, 12:13:11 PM »
Conical bushings for more turn, barrel for more stability. I haven’t had those indy bushings, so I don’t know if they firm up, but I’ve had quite a few bushing like that.
It’s been awhile since I’ve run bones bushings in ventures, that was my go to for quite some time. Maybe they don’t fit right. These days I tend to run everything stock, including the top washer, and then just wait for the trucks to break in. I can see why some wouldn’t want to do that.

Will conical bushings help to  get  better pinch? 

My venture bushings are starting going and I have done Indy 92 blue barrel and the conical I have on Thunders right now. But I’m starting to enjoy the pop of ventures I feel my kuckflios look decent now.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2692 on: April 06, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Welcome back.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I got some hard Bones bushings and tried them in my Ventures but they don't sit right.  The bottom bushing isn't tall enough without the washer and the hanger sits at a slight angle.  I got some super hard Indy barrel bushings and they fit just fine.  Still a bit loose though, I guess they'll tighten up after a few sessions?

For bones I only use the top bushings stock bottom bushings. No washer either. It’s a time bomb though last like 4 weeks tops before cracking then you got like maybe 3 months before the hanger falls off randomly.

I’m able to get the perfect turn with just the flat washers stock bushings or soft white Indy’s  in the cold.

I’m 175 lbs ? I skate loose as my set up will allow.
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2693 on: April 06, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Will conical bushings help to  get  better pinch? 

My venture bushings are starting going and I have done Indy 92 blue barrel and the conical I have on Thunders right now. But I’m starting to enjoy the pop of ventures I feel my kuckflios look decent now.

I’ve got a lot of opinions, but that does not make me a good skater (re: pinch). I’ve heard folks way better than I say that the stock washer/bushings help with the pinch. For me, if trucks are too loose, it’s less of a pinch and more of a flop (no tension).

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2694 on: April 07, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Will conical bushings help to  get  better pinch

I don't think so. My opinion is that pinch has to do more with technique than gear.
Although, there are some instances where certain product on the market are known for specific qualities such as having good pinch. Thunders are known to have great pinch due to their low height and overall geometry that people generally say feel twitchy/super responsive. I've also heard numerous cases of Venture Los having amazing pinch and most of those claims are with stock bushings.

I'm riding Venture highs (stock/supercush bushings with flat washer) and I enjoy the pinch feeling more than Thunders actually. I find it easier to sit on pinched grinds, but I suppose Thunders would feel easier to get into a pinched position just due to their geo.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2695 on: April 07, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »
You’re not really pinching unless all your weight is on top.  In theory it makes a difference but I can’t see it making that much of a difference.  Maybe on a slappy crook it makes the contact/entry point easier? 

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2696 on: April 07, 2022, 01:14:11 PM »
Wtf is pinching?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2697 on: April 07, 2022, 04:35:59 PM »
Nfg is going to drop a bushing. This is such good news. I’m definitely going to cop when available. I’ll cut them venture size if I have to. Pivot cups too. To have the most core set up is my mission
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2698 on: April 07, 2022, 07:19:07 PM »
Wtf is pinching?

Where the truck is on an angle to have the wheel touching or almost touching the deck, more often with crooked grinds, but can be with other tricks too.

That is the pinch point, sort of like being locked in, as I have also heard it said before.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2699 on: April 07, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Wtf is pinching?
[close]

Where the truck is on an angle to have the wheel touching or almost touching the deck, more often with crooked grinds, but can be with other tricks too.

That is the pinch point, sort of like being locked in, as I have also heard it said before.
Stop it, that’s not a measurable thing.