Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359842 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3210 on: August 23, 2022, 05:45:38 PM »

It sounds like I didn’t do enough research. Sounds like the Ti’s are only available in the Low” model.  Not in the 5.6.

https://venturetrucks.net/

To reference the truck info, it is actually the other way round.

Whenever there is nothing after the number (size) they are the regular / hi / normal height trucks, so Ti axle hangers only come in the regular option.  The only reason there is the text "5.2 hi" is because the smaller sizes come in hi and lo whereas everything else from 5.6 and up only come in regular height.

Again sorry if this sounds like I am being "Mr know it all" but I have had this question a lot from a shop perspective.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3211 on: August 23, 2022, 07:02:13 PM »
Thanks man. Good thorough response.  It sounds like I didn’t do enough research. Sounds like the Ti’s are only available in the Low” model.  Not in the 5.6.   I like everything about the 5.6.  I ride my trucks really loose.  I feel like the 5.6 help accomplish this level of looseness.  I run a bones medium lower bushing with the standard purple venture too bushing. Only the thin washer up top. 

I realized since I went looser on the trucks I get less ankle injuries.  Not sure if there is correlation between the two.  Maybe it’s all mental.  But isn’t it all?

I thought maybe the material or marginal weight savings might provide more responsiveness / snap when popping etc. sounds like that’s not the case.

Would be a fun study to have Ti’s, on a impact light or Girl Pop secret board.  Be fun to try. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Forged baseplate Ventures with the G052 shape is the shit.

G052:
8.25" x 31.875"
Wheelbase: 14"
Nose: 6.875"
Tail: 6.8"

If you're going with a Pop Secret then I'd go with the V-Hollow or Titanium since those decks are hefty. Most of the time price of Titanium isn't worth the weight savings, but if it will scratch the itch and you've got the money then go for it. Loving them in 5.6 and 5.8.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3212 on: August 23, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote

It sounds like I didn’t do enough research. Sounds like the Ti’s are only available in the Low” model.  Not in the 5.6.

[close]

Again sorry if this sounds like I am being "Mr know it all" but I have had this question a lot from a shop perspective.

No way man. Appreciate the banter.  Good to know as trucks can get really confusing.  I’m riding.  I ride a 303 board shop BBS/Generator.  8.25.  Absolutely love their shops decks.  Quality for sure. Prior to I had Frog / FA pretty consistently.   

I’ll probably splurge.  Would be rad if I could buy just the Ti base plate. I used to road cycle pretty hard and we would cut it all down to grams with carbon bits.  Get a really light bike.  I’ve thought about trying it in skating. I doubt it works the same. Figure as I age less mass to throw around might help.  Hardware, axle end nuts, etc. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3213 on: August 23, 2022, 10:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No way man. Appreciate the banter.  Good to know as trucks can get really confusing.  I’m riding.  I ride a 303 board shop BBS/Generator.  8.25.  Absolutely love their shops decks.  Quality for sure. Prior to I had Frog / FA pretty consistently.   

I’ll probably splurge.  Would be rad if I could buy just the Ti base plate. I used to road cycle pretty hard and we would cut it all down to grams with carbon bits.  Get a really light bike.  I’ve thought about trying it in skating. I doubt it works the same. Figure as I age less mass to throw around might help.  Hardware, axle end nuts, etc.

Only thing titanium in the Ti trucks is the axle. The hanger is otherwise the same. The baseplate is forged aluminum with a hollow steel kingpin like in V-hollow & V-lights. So you could go cheaper and just get either of those. Unfortunately I think only Indy is selling baseplates separately and only the standard & standard mid versions.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #3214 on: August 23, 2022, 10:47:37 PM »
It’s all the same baseplates less the team edition….it’s just a titanium axel…..

BBS shop board on ventures is a pretty mellow ride…but maybe something with more fingers of flat might mellow it out further….

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3215 on: August 24, 2022, 12:24:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Only thing titanium in the Ti trucks is the axle. The hanger is otherwise the same. The baseplate is forged aluminum with a hollow steel kingpin like in V-hollow & V-lights. So you could go cheaper and just get either of those. Unfortunately I think only Indy is selling baseplates separately and only the standard & standard mid versions.

"too lazy to figure out v-ti weight"
indy 139 standard       : 377g
indy 139 forged hollow :334g
indy 139 ti                 : 322g

there're only 10 grams difference between ti axle and hollow axle, it's not worth paying that much for ti axle
save the money for a new set of spitfire f4
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 10:38:17 AM by richard00800 »

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3216 on: August 24, 2022, 06:56:14 AM »
I’ve come to my senses. Could probably save ten gram in a sesh by doing 5050s warming up.   

Good convo. Irrational thinking for sure. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3217 on: August 24, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
Honestly, I’d just grind through them, next set get hollows, consider smaller wheels, don’t buy a twin, short, or steep nose. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3218 on: August 26, 2022, 10:39:06 AM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3219 on: August 26, 2022, 11:29:56 AM »

lol why would he put it on lows. didn't even make it to the end of the video with the bushings.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3220 on: August 26, 2022, 12:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
lol why would he put it on lows. didn't even make it to the end of the video with the bushings.

Because lo’s are the shit

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #3221 on: August 26, 2022, 12:24:25 PM »
the ventures I had last year where the most loose tucks I've ever skated... idk why anyone would want them looser.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #3222 on: August 26, 2022, 01:46:39 PM »
I may be wrong so please correct me if so... but if you shorten the top bushing, doesn't that just limit how deep you can turn?

So even if your trucks are looser, you can't lean as deep into the turn before it stops and thus your overall turning radius is worsen now despite the truck being looser.

I didn't test it very thoroughly and I also have flat tops on my ventures so not a 1 to 1 comparison, but standing on two of my friends' boards for like 30 seconds each (both of whom had the green loose conversion kits in their ventures), their seemed looser but didn't necessarily seem to have a deeper or sharper than mine

A small part of why aces have such a deep turn is because they have a pretty tall top bushing right? I put some venture stock tops in my aces once for shits and the shorter top made the turn max out much quicker.

Plus ventures already are relatively limited in the turning department, wouldn't it have made more sense to just provide a softer set of bushings that are the same dimensions?

Sounds like these make sense for those who want a looser feeling truck for small adjustments, but aren't necessarily good for somebody who finds the turn on venture limiting and wants a sharper turn

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3223 on: August 26, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »
Yeah I don’t think you can get a better turn out of ventures aside from using a flat top washer.

I get wheel bite a lot with supercush and a flat washer, those low bushings would just make it worse surely?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #3224 on: August 26, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »
Not sure but easiest solution for that is just to remember to wax your wheel bite marks lol

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3225 on: August 26, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »
Yeah I don’t think you can get a better turn out of ventures aside from using a flat top washer.

I get wheel bite a lot with supercush and a flat washer, those low bushings would just make it worse surely?

Softer bottom (ACE classic), harder low top (ACE classic low) + bones flat washer was the best experience I've had.

Thing is you, can't make them indys, and we should stop trying.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 05:27:10 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3226 on: August 26, 2022, 05:22:00 PM »
I may be wrong so please correct me if so... but if you shorten the top bushing, doesn't that just limit how deep you can turn?

So even if your trucks are looser, you can't lean as deep into the turn before it stops and thus your overall turning radius is worsen now despite the truck being looser.

I didn't test it very thoroughly and I also have flat tops on my ventures so not a 1 to 1 comparison, but standing on two of my friends' boards for like 30 seconds each (both of whom had the green loose conversion kits in their ventures), their seemed looser but didn't necessarily seem to have a deeper or sharper than mine

A small part of why aces have such a deep turn is because they have a pretty tall top bushing right? I put some venture stock tops in my aces once for shits and the shorter top made the turn max out much quicker.

Plus ventures already are relatively limited in the turning department, wouldn't it have made more sense to just provide a softer set of bushings that are the same dimensions?

Sounds like these make sense for those who want a looser feeling truck for small adjustments, but aren't necessarily good for somebody who finds the turn on venture limiting and wants a sharper turn

I have used a low top bushing for a long time, originally cutting down bushings back when there were no other options, then using the Indy bushing kit with the low heads.  I still cut down a lot of bushings for people - some very light adults but mostly for kids - who just cannot turn with the bushings at the height and the kingpin on where it needs to be.

Yes full metal cupped washers will dig into the hanger and limit turn, but the washers that come with these are minimal in how much they cup the bushings, so I don't get any contact on the majority of them, and only very small amounts of contact on some bushings that are so flattened that there is not much bushing left, but all of them still do what I need them to.

In that regard, it is not so much about how much turn I have, but how responsive they are, so these ones I use in 92 duro are a touch harder than others, so I can have them loose feeling, but not wobbly, can lean a little left or right so they are still very responsive but they don't just go straight to wheelbite like other really soft bushings do.  If I really put weight into it, all four wheels will touch the deck easily enough, but it takes a fair bit of effort right on that one wheel, so although I have significant wheelbite marks, I don't have issues with wheelbite from my usual setups.

Even on stock 90 duro cut down heads or the aftermarket 90 low heads, the responsiveness of the trucks is key, not how quickly they turn or how small the turning diameter is on flat ground.

To add after re reading, in response to some of your questions:

The only limiting factor in how deep a truck can turn is when the wheel stops on the deck, so for taller trucks / smaller wheels or trucks with thin risers, the turning circle can be very small, but on most setups with average size wheels and no risers, it is the wheelbite and not the bushings that will cause the issues.

Those flat washers are definitely a good one to give a much looser feeling on any bushings with any trucks.  I tried it after I saw you guys do that and it is amazing how much of a difference it makes, with the kingpin nut in the same place.  The Bones bushings flat washer is thicker than some I bought in a bulk washer pack a while back, but both work well in that situation too.

Ace turn I would say comes from the geometry of the trucks, cause even putting other brand bushings in them, they were still way more turny than these other trucks, no matter which bushing options were used.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3227 on: August 27, 2022, 02:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3228 on: August 27, 2022, 07:29:58 AM »
Around 8:20 he professes his love for the Venture Lo…..

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3229 on: August 27, 2022, 07:39:18 AM »
I know the sale thread is the proper place for these posts, but if you skate Ventures, CCS has them for super cheap, including the 5.2 lows for $24/pair before shipping.

https://shop.ccs.com/products/venture-all-polished-lo-skateboard-trucks?variant=39314356142263&gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2g7myBTOWVsIoID2prbEdTxESGRRxp15C5C5JU97d7Z3KOOKgqb5iRoClyoQAvD_BwE
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3230 on: August 27, 2022, 07:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Lo's don't turn well so maybe he wanted to fix that.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3231 on: August 27, 2022, 09:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Lo's don't turn well so maybe he wanted to fix that.

Yes they do
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3232 on: August 29, 2022, 07:07:31 AM »
I know a lot of people love ventures on the primitive/April 8.25 shape and I was wondering if anyone knew of an 8.5 equivalent or even an 8.38. I want the short wb and long kicks of the 8.25, but I need a little more space for my size 12 feet.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #3233 on: August 29, 2022, 07:30:35 AM »
I know a lot of people love ventures on the primitive/April 8.25 shape and I was wondering if anyone knew of an 8.5 equivalent or even an 8.38. I want the short wb and long kicks of the 8.25, but I need a little more space for my size 12 feet.

I have the same problem as you (Size 12's) I used to ride Girl G027 (8.25") and Venture 5.8's (8.5" axle) for like a little over a year but eventually i went up in board size cause I felt like my feet looked like they were always hanging off the board every time I land anything and it looked gross to me. Now I've been riding 8.75 decks with Venture 6.1's. i haven't found any 8.75 with almost identical nose/tail lengths

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #3234 on: August 29, 2022, 07:46:28 AM »

anti hero "mis-registered eagle" short 8.5 - it has a 14 inch wheelbase and is 31.75 in length so the kicks are rather long.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3235 on: August 29, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »
Can someone give me some feedback on the titaniums? I ride 8.18-8.25.  Looking for ways to get a bit more snap. 

Currently ride 5.6 with 54mm Spitfire LL.

Hey man, yeah bushings are fine just checked them. Replaced the nut and it keeps happening. Reckon its the kingpin? Bit reluctant to glue the nut on (but also cant be asked to replace the kingpin if so)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3236 on: August 29, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Can someone give me some feedback on the titaniums? I ride 8.18-8.25.  Looking for ways to get a bit more snap. 

Currently ride 5.6 with 54mm Spitfire LL.
[close]

Hey man, yeah bushings are fine just checked them. Replaced the nut and it keeps happening. Reckon its the kingpin? Bit reluctant to glue the nut on (but also cant be asked to replace the kingpin if so)

You can still get the nut off if you use normal thread lock like blue Loctite, it’ll just stay there more securely.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3237 on: August 29, 2022, 06:42:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

anti hero "mis-registered eagle" short 8.5 - it has a 14 inch wheelbase and is 31.75 in length so the kicks are rather long.

If you can find them in stock, looks like there were one-and-done last season, wish they made it a staple of their catalog like the Real Floral, shit graphics but short WB (8.25 x 14 x 31.9)

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3238 on: August 29, 2022, 08:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you can find them in stock, looks like there were one-and-done last season, wish they made it a staple of their catalog like the Real Floral, shit graphics but short WB (8.25 x 14 x 31.9)

I really wanted to try this but never found one in stock anywhere.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3239 on: August 30, 2022, 02:04:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I really wanted to try this but never found one in stock anywhere.

There are newer versions of those same shapes, with this graphic:

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-2022/