Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359763 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3720 on: December 20, 2022, 02:13:29 PM »
Thanks for posting that cbi. I remember that article…

Phil’s style was always dope. I was in general much more likely to be hyped on footage from someone in the rhythm video, or menace or something like that, but those Shao pics always seemed to stand out.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3721 on: December 20, 2022, 03:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Everything used to suck/was rad.
[close]

I rode nothing but Venture in the 90s and early 2000s. I still remember habitually spinning my wheels after landing primo to make sure my axle hadn't slipped, then giving it the old tap on the curb if it had.

To this day I don't like the thought of my axles sticking out even 1/16" and I think it stems from wanting to protect my axles with the deck.

I used to love that narrow truck with a beefy wheel look. There is a photo of Phil doing a 5-0 on a rail above a quarter in this chrome ball post that is exactly how I wanted my setup to look.

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-gnarler.html
[close]

Goddamn

Those  Emerica Mute he’s wearing look fucking dope too.
BRB gotta hit the madness thread before I go buy a set of Ventures I don’t need (yet).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3722 on: December 20, 2022, 04:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode nothing but Venture in the 90s and early 2000s. I still remember habitually spinning my wheels after landing primo to make sure my axle hadn't slipped, then giving it the old tap on the curb if it had.

To this day I don't like the thought of my axles sticking out even 1/16" and I think it stems from wanting to protect my axles with the deck.

I used to love that narrow truck with a beefy wheel look. There is a photo of Phil doing a 5-0 on a rail above a quarter in this chrome ball post that is exactly how I wanted my setup to look.

Seconded for "Thanks for posting that" Chromeball one.

I feel like this pic, which you can get a really close up view of, even more if you zoom in, showing the OG Ventures at the time, green bushings and all, right here - pic from a mag from Jan 1994 so they would have only just come out in 1993 as well, which is pretty cool thinking about the time line.

They look lower, but I never really knew a lot about them back then and only really know from what I have now.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iSnhpcXvZ5E/U-7OawvbQfI/AAAAAAAAcPM/SJcCe-A_WPw/s1600/shaoslapcoverchrome.jpg

Copied close up too:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3723 on: December 20, 2022, 07:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel like this pic, which you can get a really close up view of, even more if you zoom in, showing the OG Ventures at the time, green bushings and all, right here - pic from a mag from Jan 1994 so they would have only just come out in 1993 as well, which is pretty cool thinking about the time line.

They look lower, but I never really knew a lot about them back then and only really know from what I have now.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iSnhpcXvZ5E/U-7OawvbQfI/AAAAAAAAcPM/SJcCe-A_WPw/s1600/shaoslapcoverchrome.jpg

Copied close up too:

I also zoomed on that. Do kinda look like lo’s, 8’s, which would be sick.

I forgot to highlight the comment about tapping the axles, and hand spinning the wheels in between tries. Great callout. Some of it was practical, and at least on my part, sadly, some of it was performative…(the whole world is a stage for a young narcissist at a skatepark, ‘subtly’ trying to insinuate that there might be some reason, other than lack of skill, for missing that El Niño flip, over the hip).

Back to Shao’s greatness. This shit is like 30 years old and rad. Maybe that’s due to my old guy perspective, but …that was just a really good era.

IpathCats

« Reply #3724 on: December 21, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »

I forgot to highlight the comment about tapping the axles, and hand spinning the wheels in between tries. Great callout. Some of it was practical, and at least on my part, sadly, some of it was performative…(the whole world is a stage for a young narcissist at a skatepark, ‘subtly’ trying to insinuate that there might be some reason, other than lack of skill, for missing that El Niño flip, over the hip).

Back to Shao’s greatness. This shit is like 30 years old and rad. Maybe that’s due to my old guy perspective, but …that was just a really good era.

lol gnar'd

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3725 on: December 21, 2022, 09:50:36 PM »
I’ve bought about 5 pair of ventures in the past two years. some I haven’t even set up, because it seems like all of them (except the titanium ones) were rusted! I just got the new ted barrow v cast hollow ones, same thing! one truck axel has an orange ish hue to it all the way thorough. am I tripping?! anyone else have this problem with venture or any other truck?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 09:48:49 AM by gaunting »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3726 on: December 21, 2022, 10:24:57 PM »
if anyone is interested
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:45:43 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3727 on: December 21, 2022, 10:58:40 PM »
I’ve bought about 5 pair of ventures in the past two years. some I haven’t even set up, because it seems like all of them (except the titanium ones) were rusted! I just got the new tee barrow vacation hollow ones, same thing! one truck axel has an orange ish hue to it all the way thorough. am I tripping?! anyone else have this problem with venture or any other truck?

Funny you should mention this, as this was my last post, re rusted axles.

Expand Quote
I bought some 66 af1's and the bearings wouldn't fit on the axle at first. Like, it went right on and past all the threads then stopped short and stuck at the smooth part of the axle. Dude at the shop said "oh this happens all the time" and banged em on. I have never seen anything like that before, however I don't really buy new trucks for years at a time. Anyone else ever had an axle that seemed like mm too thick until you beat it into submission?
[close]

The only time I have seen that is when some axles (usually on older stock but not always) have had a little rust or other build up that needs cleaning off, either with grip tape offcuts or steel wool, or sometimes even just a quick spray of WD40 onto a cloth and then on each axle area.

Didn't have any issues with most bearings I know when I have assembled Ace trucks, but I am curious what bearings you were using, whether new or used, or any other info - just cause I am too curious for my own good sometimes.

So over the years I have seen quite a few, more often than not just a cloth with WD40 was all that was needed to make them look and feel like new, but some needed a bit more work.

Guessing if you got them from a walk in shop, you could take them back and ask them about it, but if you are more an online / hooked up / shop guy or other, then it is not so easy to ask questions about it, apart from putting in something to DLX with pics, more than anything just to let them know.

Some environments aren't the best, eg shops with no air con or rainy weather and a lot of humidity, or being handled too much or just sitting in a cabinet for a long time, but that doesn't explain some brand new ones, although the axles could be sitting somewhere before being cast that attracted moisture or something.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3728 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »
Alot of this happens at the distro. Trucks sit in open bags in open boxes in mostly coastal warehouses that aren’t temperature controlled. Most of the time during warm and mild weather the big roll-up doors sit open to allow air flow for the warehouse workers. Perfect environment for rust.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3729 on: December 22, 2022, 07:20:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Copied close up too:

[close]

They look like the feather lights which were standard. I got axle slip on my ventures all the time back then from landing primo after trying flip my board high over something or down stairs. It was a hassle but those trucks were the best for tech at the time.

I couldn’t deal with the weight of Indy’s until I set up a monster sized “East Coast” board because Fred Gall.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3730 on: December 22, 2022, 01:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Copied close up too:

[close]

[close]
They look like the feather lights which were standard. I got axle slip on my ventures all the time back then from landing primo after trying flip my board high over something or down stairs. It was a hassle but those trucks were the best for tech at the time.

I couldn’t deal with the weight of Indy’s until I set up a monster sized “East Coast” board because Fred Gall.

The big wheels made the Indy’s more manageable somehow. Indys were so heavy.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3731 on: December 23, 2022, 08:02:25 AM »
It’s funny how riding my East Coast board felt right after riding a 7.5” board forever.

Also funny is my 8” FA board with venture hi’s is one of the easiest boards to slappy.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #3732 on: December 23, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
Loving my venture low 5.2s on the 8.25 chocolate gO27 shape. The tail is so easy to pop.
I’ve searched around, but when was the last venture redesign for the lows and regulars? Is there any info on the venture stages available?  These ventures must be redesigned recently, right?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3733 on: December 23, 2022, 05:55:18 PM »
Loving my venture low 5.2s on the 8.25 chocolate gO27 shape. The tail is so easy to pop.
I’ve searched around, but when was the last venture redesign for the lows and regulars? Is there any info on the venture stages available?  These ventures must be redesigned recently, right?

When DLX took over distribution of Venture from 2011 when Street Corner Dist closed, there were changes, as said others, so this is maybe the last time that anything happened / changed in their manufacturing with regard to the truck stages, variations, etc.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3735 on: December 23, 2022, 11:40:15 PM »

Is it not just the angle of the picture - looking at the yoke around the hanger area more than anything?

Also have you seen them in person or just pics?

I haven't really paid that much attention to Venture, apart from having some very much older ones and some moderately new ones, but I will go have a look at a set on the six hole baseplates, then another set that were from around 2015 compared to the latest ones I just got for someone.

Got me keen to see if I can see any differences now too.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3736 on: December 24, 2022, 04:32:22 AM »

Is it not just the angle of the picture - looking at the yoke around the hanger area more than anything?

I haven't really paid that much attention to Venture, apart from having some very much older ones and some moderately new ones, but I will go have a look at a set on the six hole baseplates, then another set that were from around 2015 compared to the latest ones I just got for someone.

The “plane” where the hanger turns into the nub that goes into the pivot cup is pinched on what I perceive to be the new ones. I think they are new because the lasers have the pinch. Now I’m seeing slight differences in the yolk as well.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3737 on: December 24, 2022, 04:37:01 AM »
Best Venture 5.6 trucks? chose one of the list bellow:

VENTURE V-HOLLOW LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE V-LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE TEAM THROW HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE V-CAST HOLLOW KADER PRO 5.6"

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3738 on: December 24, 2022, 06:54:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The “plane” where the hanger turns into the nub that goes into the pivot cup is pinched on what I perceive to be the new ones. I think they are new because the lasers have the pinch. Now I’m seeing slight differences in the yolk as well.

happy to be wrong, but i think you're getting worked by lighting

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3739 on: December 24, 2022, 07:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

happy to be wrong, but i think you're getting worked by lighting
It won’t be the first time I got worked by lighting lol.

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #3740 on: December 24, 2022, 08:16:55 AM »
Best Venture 5.6 trucks? chose one of the list bellow:

VENTURE V-HOLLOW LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE V-LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE TEAM THROW HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE V-CAST HOLLOW KADER PRO 5.6"
V-Cast

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3741 on: December 24, 2022, 08:41:03 AM »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #3742 on: December 25, 2022, 04:29:00 AM »
Anyone make a recent Ace to Venture jump?  Been skating Ace 44s for a little while and treated myself to some 5.8s for Christmas.  Haven’t skated Ventures in a couple years but I’m looking forward to switching it up.  Definitely do a lot more slappies than last time I skated Ventures so I expect it to be an adjustment. 

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #3743 on: December 25, 2022, 06:07:49 AM »
Anyone make a recent Ace to Venture jump?  Been skating Ace 44s for a little while and treated myself to some 5.8s for Christmas.  Haven’t skated Ventures in a couple years but I’m looking forward to switching it up.  Definitely do a lot more slappies than last time I skated Ventures so I expect it to be an adjustment.

i switched from aces to ventures in march. first few sessions on the same deck were weird as fuck since aces and ventures are pretty much opposites, but i kept forcing it and got used to them. the turn was obviously a lot different especially since i skate very loose trucks but flip tricks were the hardest to get used to. i would get lots of ghost pop and couldn’t flick well but when i figured that out my flip tricks got better than before, much more pop. i had 44 classics, went to 5.8 standards
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3744 on: December 25, 2022, 07:07:45 AM »

All the new sets I’ve gotten look more like the Labor pic than the Garden pic. Very sharp casting, shiny finish, little texture (not as smooth as an AF1, though).

On 2nd link I’m pretty sure the picture is from the lows (based on the kingpin clearance which seems not that big). Quite often the stores just use any stock photo to represent the product but it’s not accurate. Like using an Indy 139 pic to represent all sizes from 129s to 169s…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3745 on: December 27, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »
What board size for 5.2? Would 8.1 be too big?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3746 on: December 27, 2022, 02:00:09 PM »

No perfect

I ride 8.125
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3747 on: December 27, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »

nope. you can run 5.2 on 7.75 - 8.25 comfortably, depending on your tastes

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #3748 on: December 27, 2022, 02:01:55 PM »
8.0 - 8.1" would be good for 5.2
If you want to go up to 8.25" or wider - might want to consider 5.6's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #3749 on: December 27, 2022, 03:12:57 PM »
If I had 5.2’s I’d stock up on 8.125’s….