Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359894 times)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4290 on: April 19, 2023, 01:07:59 PM »
Anyone skate baker og mellow 8.125 with 5.2 hollow highs ?
I've skated Baker og mellow 8.0's on 5.2 & 5.6 Venture cast highs. I'm sure it's fine on forged plates, but I just prefer cast plates on 14.25" wb

oliknight

« Reply #4291 on: April 23, 2023, 03:40:39 PM »
Anyone else enjoyed 5.2 lows on an 8.25 or higher?
I loved them on an 8.25, just put two washer between each wheel and hanger and it looked and felt really nice!

Would love to see some photos!

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4292 on: April 23, 2023, 06:17:02 PM »
I loved them on an 8.25, just put two washer between each wheel and hanger and it looked and felt really nice!

i put some on an 8.75 a while back and had a stupid good time, felt like i was riding on the back of a giant cockroach

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #4293 on: April 24, 2023, 07:47:56 AM »
I’ve been going through the madness recently with varying boards and trucks but lately I’ve settled on a 8.25 14wb Alien with 148 thunder lights. I couldn’t get venture highs to work but I wanted to try venture lows before I gave up on venture entirely.

Honestly trying the venture lows felt awful lol. My pop felt too hindered and the wheel bite seemed pretty bad. So I decided to throw on some 1/8 DLX wood risers I had to see if that helps. It actually felt pretty damn good. The height is still in between a hi and lo venture and is very close to a thunder which I was already enjoying.

So basically I made a venture mid or a thunder with worse kingpin clearance lol. Not sure which a prefer overall yet but I thought it was funny that putting risers on some venture lows was the only way I could get ventures to work for me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4294 on: April 24, 2023, 08:18:42 AM »
I’ve been going through the madness recently with varying boards and trucks but lately I’ve settled on a 8.25 14wb Alien with 148 thunder lights. I couldn’t get venture highs to work but I wanted to try venture lows before I gave up on venture entirely.

Honestly trying the venture lows felt awful lol. My pop felt too hindered and the wheel bite seemed pretty bad. So I decided to throw on some 1/8 DLX wood risers I had to see if that helps. It actually felt pretty damn good. The height is still in between a hi and lo venture and is very close to a thunder which I was already enjoying.

So basically I made a venture mid or a thunder with worse kingpin clearance lol. Not sure which a prefer overall yet but I thought it was funny that putting risers on some venture lows was the only way I could get ventures to work for me.

You mean the 8.25 x 14.24 x 32.25?

Had the opposite experience where the lower height resulted in a better experience, went from Cast + 54mm to Forged + 53mm, flip tricks were back and the pop was more controlled.

But all this talk has got me thinking about giving Thunder another go.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #4295 on: April 24, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Had the opposite experience where the lower height resulted in a better experience, went from Cast + 54mm to Forged + 53mm, flip tricks were back and the pop was more controlled.

Nah Alien made a 8.25 14wb (don’t remember the length) deck like a year ago and I’ve been sitting on it. Not sure why they haven’t really made many since then.

oliknight

« Reply #4296 on: April 24, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i put some on an 8.75 a while back and had a stupid good time, felt like i was riding on the back of a giant cockroach

Hahah that’s wild! But to be honest not too dissimilar from what Andrew Reynolds was doing with the 139 Indy’s!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4297 on: April 24, 2023, 04:09:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hahah that’s wild! But to be honest not too dissimilar from what Andrew Reynolds was doing with the 139 Indy’s!
what you mean? He's on a smaller truck too. I'd like to know more about AR's board plz
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4298 on: April 24, 2023, 04:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
what you mean? He's on a smaller truck too. I'd like to know more about AR's board plz

He used to ride 8.5s on 139s. I think Greco was even more nuts and had 129s on some pretty wide boards.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4299 on: April 24, 2023, 04:56:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

He used to ride 8.5s on 139s. I think Greco was even more nuts and had 129s on some pretty wide boards.
That's pretty cool. I wonder which wheel shape he was on at that time.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4300 on: April 24, 2023, 07:38:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Always Classics.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4301 on: April 26, 2023, 01:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Many of you switch between lows and highs comfortably ?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4302 on: April 26, 2023, 06:09:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not if I can avoid it, I'll switch up the baseplate depending on the deck length and wheelbase, anything shorter than 32 and I'm on cast. For wheels I'm liking 53mm since they are the unwanted step child size and they wear down to 52mm eventually, 54mm feel too tall initially and it kills my appreciation of them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4303 on: April 26, 2023, 06:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

50mm Parkburners (98du). There's another set up video and Reynolds is also rocking 50mm Parkburners (the green ones) but I can't find that video, but also from about 10yrs back, so it mustn't have been a one off.

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4304 on: April 26, 2023, 06:37:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I have two setups running now, 8.5 with 5.8s and 8 with 5.2lo, and I just grab the one I'm feeling on the day depending, and truck wise  (besides the height obviously) it's not so that different in the turn/wb so I get used to it pretty quick. However, when I change out to Thunders or Indy, it really throws me off and it's a whole learning process to reconnect everything, pop timing flick etc. So I'm quite enjoying the ventures also because I can change it up without complexly throwing me off. All that said, obviously it's a very noticeable difference and I do need to adjust, I ride sub 50mm so that probably also helps when switching between hi and lo, and keep it turny even when skating lo's.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4305 on: April 26, 2023, 07:00:57 AM »
Thanks,  appreciate the answers

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4306 on: April 26, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »
Been procrastinating changing my bushing, both top bushings are cracked and are so worn in, I'm riding them way tighter than I usually do to avoid ghost pop. But new bushings are the worst!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4307 on: April 26, 2023, 01:23:37 PM »
For those who made the switch from Indys to Ventures, how was it? I know the turn and wb are different and it's sort of a turning vs stability tradeoff but do you think it was worth it? Do you plan on sticking with Ventures?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4308 on: April 26, 2023, 03:32:46 PM »
For those who made the switch from Indys to Ventures, how was it? I know the turn and wb are different and it's sort of a turning vs stability tradeoff but do you think it was worth it? Do you plan on sticking with Ventures?

I went from Indy to ventures. I enjoyed the Indy’s. But I wanted to try the cast hollow ventures. For me it was easier to go from Indy to venture than Indy to thunder. Maybe a day or so to adjust but the adjustment didn’t ruin my session. Where sometimes changing trucks my timing will be off etc. it was easier for me to adjust to ventures than a new pair of shoes.  Than takes me a few sessions.

I enjoy the venture stability. The turn isn’t as bad as people imply either. It’s delayed but not that bad.

I plan on sticking with venture for a bit. At least until these are toast I don’t really have an allegiance to any truck company. I enjoyed Royal quite a bit but as bad as it sounds I felt dorky skating them and so I went back to Indy then to venture. Venture pop is nice too but I haven’t got nollie popping how I’d like but when I get a good one it’s higher than normal for me

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4309 on: April 26, 2023, 08:39:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me it was easier to go from Indy to venture than Indy to thunder.

I feel the same way. I can go back and forth between Indy and Venture with pretty much no problem on most decks in under a session. Going from Indy to Thunder is jarring and I struggle.

Indys tend to feel better on most boards for me so I spend more time on them. On the boards that Ventures feel good, though, they feel the best. The stability while setting up and the pop is really good. I don't find the turn is as bad as some think. You just have to lean into it more.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4310 on: April 26, 2023, 09:49:12 PM »
I'm the complete opposite. Indy to Thunder takes 10min, anything to Venture takes longer it seems. Thunder to Venture is actually easiest for me. I also rode Indy FH a lot if that somehow matters. When I switched back to Thunder last summer after 9 months on Indy there was almost no adjustment time at all and I was skating better on them within 15min. Ventures always take a sesh or two for certain tricks mostly straight on kickflips (tre flips are easier on em somehow) and nollie stuff. Fakie always pops higher.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4311 on: April 27, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »
yuto v hollows
available in 5.2 hi and 5.6
available real soon

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4312 on: April 27, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
^^ those are fire

Great Wave into the V...damn

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4313 on: April 27, 2023, 05:21:25 PM »
Weird they made them in sizes Yuto doesn't skate.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4314 on: April 27, 2023, 06:17:46 PM »

But sizes that will sell.

:)

* Looked it up and someone had said "5.2 Venture Lows with Bones Hardcore hard bushings."

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4315 on: April 27, 2023, 07:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But sizes that will sell.

No doubt...nothing new, it's the same reason why you see 'pro' boards or wheels in sizes said pros don't actually skate..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4316 on: April 27, 2023, 07:59:17 PM »
I know, I know it just seems weird when it's their pro truck. Thunder and Indy seem to make the sizes their pros make but 8", 8.25", and 8.5" hi are what sell.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4317 on: April 27, 2023, 08:57:09 PM »
I know, I know it just seems weird when it's their pro truck. Thunder and Indy seem to make the sizes their pros make but 8", 8.25", and 8.5" hi are what sell.

I agree, if I was at that level, with pro gear, I'd want my size available (to ride, homie flow, etc.).

Surely a lot of pros do that (worrest truck sizes, there's always a worrest/ishod 8.3)....but yeah, go with what sells and slap your name on it for sales...if he's riding lows, that market isn't cutting him big ass monthly checks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #4318 on: April 27, 2023, 10:49:15 PM »
Prod has 5.2 hollow lows, maybe the wanted a pro to have a 5.2 high? 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4319 on: April 27, 2023, 11:42:35 PM »
Prod has 5.2 hollow lows, maybe the wanted a pro to have a 5.2 high? 

Chandler Burton says hi.