Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359842 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 83
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4740 on: September 09, 2023, 08:37:42 AM »
Had my first session Ventures today! V-hollow lights 5.8, on a Real Mason Silva 8,5 deck with 14.25wb, that was already used lightly. I do ghostpop, even tho im used to Thunders raws, but its also a deck that for sure favours indy, as its a pretty hefty deck. It does feel very nice and crispy when I do pop, and I feel very stable!
Idk how people complain about Venture turn. They turn perfectly fine to me who's used to Thunder. Can even do rather tight 180 carves.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4741 on: September 09, 2023, 08:55:53 AM »
Had my first session Ventures today! V-hollow lights 5.8, on a Real Mason Silva 8,5 deck with 14.25wb, that was already used lightly. I do ghostpop, even tho im used to Thunders raws, but its also a deck that for sure favours indy, as its a pretty hefty deck. It does feel very nice and crispy when I do pop, and I feel very stable!
Idk how people complain about Venture turn. They turn perfectly fine to me who's used to Thunder. Can even do rather tight 180 carves.

The 5.8s feel pretty nimble to me compared to 5.6.

Switched from 5.2 lows & 51s to 5.2 light highs & 53s today. Results to be determined.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #4742 on: September 09, 2023, 11:52:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 5.8s feel pretty nimble to me compared to 5.6.

Switched from 5.2 lows & 51s to 5.2 light highs & 53s today. Results to be determined.

I’m interested in reading the results!

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4743 on: September 12, 2023, 07:36:36 AM »
Ok, so I got my first ever Ventures last week.

Got the 5.6 Hi V-Lights, skating them on an 8.25" / 31.5" length / 13.88" wb. No custom shit, the bushings are stock.

Skater profile: I'm not a great skater, but I can tell how my equipment affects my skating and I know what I like.

Two sessions in so far:

The first one was just a quick cruise to the store with some ollies/downhill. The trucks felt instantly kinda "right" and, eh, comfortable, for lack of a better word. My pop is not massive (I'm in my late 40s) but it felt kinda solid with the Ventures, more so than on Aces or Indys. Also, enjoyed the instant overall stability, didn't feel like I had to screw around with tightening/loosening the trucks or breaking in the bushings for a long period of time. The turn was different from e.g. Indys, but I did not dislike it at all. Every truck turns, it's all relative. Initial reaction after first sesh: great trucks.

The second session was ledge/curb sesh at my local schoolyard which has a nice staircase that's short but otherwise perfect for legde stuff. Started with ollies / flatground and some fs 50-50 stalls on the lowest stair. Lo and behold, the first 50-50 stall just popped perfectly into place. There's that "solid" feel again. Overall I felt like my ollies were benefiting from the trucks.

The sesh continued with fs 50-50 grinds on the stair, where again I felt like the solid-feeling ollie helped me secure the grinds more consistently than before. Based on what I'd read about Ventures, I imagined the grind would be significantly worse than e.g. on Indys. It didn't feel like that. Maybe a tiny bit at first, but after a normal wax job on the stair the grinds were there, nice and smooth, no problem.

I suck at bs 50-50 grinds, but as I tried them even they felt better than before, as the trucks seemed to give me a bit of extra confidence with their stability.

Finished the session with more flatground and ollies up to the higher stairs, where I again felt my pop was better and the overall feel was more solid.

Note: I skate a lot of transition, and I'm yet to try the trucks on bigger transition at high speed. As I like my trucks pretty tight even on transition, I'm kinda positive these won't be a dissappointment.

Overall I like these trucks very, very much and I'm super glad I gave Ventures a shot. I think they are going to feel even better as I get more used to them. No complaints whatsoever as of yet. Pretty stoked about them – definitely a keeper for a street setup. Looking forward to skating them more.

p.s. Oh, and the short length and wheelbase 31.5" / 13.88" of the board felt nice with these trucks. Whereas the deck felt cramped on Indys, it did not feel like that with Ventures. Felt like my wheelbase goldilocks zone with Ventures would be at around 14.125".

Me likey.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4744 on: September 12, 2023, 08:40:29 AM »
You're Awake - welcome to the club

What 8.25 are you riding with that short WB?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4745 on: September 12, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »

sounds like the DLX true fit mold shape
https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2023/

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4746 on: September 12, 2023, 10:56:53 AM »

Polished my Kader 5.6 V Hollow. Used a dremel with some buffing wheels and went 80, 200, 600, then a buffing wheel on a hand drill to finish them off. Kinda removed a few of my grind marks but those will come back immediately.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4747 on: September 12, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
I ride Indys, and was on the fence about giving Venture another shot (it's been awhile). Then this morning I saw that NHS is doing a collab with Pokemon. I immediately ordered a set of 5.6. Fuck this NHS nonsense.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rikki

« Reply #4748 on: September 12, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »

It's the Antihero Grant Taylor 'Terrestrial Seasonings' model (DLX/BBS, yes). Yeah, the wb is weirdly short, Skatedeluxe lists it at 14" but it's 13.88" in reality. EDIT: the DLX true fit mold, that's the one, thanks.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-grant-terrestrial-seasonings-8-25-skateboard-deck-multi_p162840

Lately I've been riding basic DLX 8.25 shapes with Indys (a lot of transition as said), but I'm kinda on the fence about the 14.38" wb for street stuff with Ventures as I'm only 5'9" and the total wheelbase will result as long.

Actually really enjoyed the short deck, will probably explore more shorter decks/wheelbases from now on, feels fun.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 12:33:05 PM by rikki »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4749 on: September 12, 2023, 01:00:49 PM »
I ride Indys, and was on the fence about giving Venture another shot (it's been awhile). Then this morning I saw that NHS is doing a collab with Pokemon. I immediately ordered a set of 5.6. Fuck this NHS nonsense.

One thing I will say is you note you ride the DLX 8.25, which has a fairly short tail and Venture cast could make it feel sorta heavy. If you can find a cheap forged set do not abandon hope if cast don't fully work.

Also, I'm with you on not wanting to support NHS. I thought about getting Bronson Ceramics at one point, but didn't because they're under the distro. I am fine riding Thunder or Venture mostly because of the DLX umbrella and only was on Indys because I thought I skated better on them, but I don't.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4750 on: September 12, 2023, 01:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One thing I will say is you note you ride the DLX 8.25, which has a fairly short tail and Venture cast could make it feel sorta heavy. If you can find a cheap forged set do not abandon hope if cast don't fully work.

Also, I'm with you on not wanting to support NHS. I thought about getting Bronson Ceramics at one point, but didn't because they're under the distro. I am fine riding Thunder or Venture mostly because of the DLX umbrella and only was on Indys because I thought I skated better on them, but I don't.

The 8.25 has like an 8.5 tail, which is actually a tad longer than other common DLX tails (e.g. the 8.38. 8.4, and 8.5, which are like 8.437, IIRC). And don't worry...I got a set of both Cast Hollows and V-Hollows coming. Full Madness, let's roll. I hate NHS, but man, how I do like my Indys.   

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4751 on: September 12, 2023, 01:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The 8.25 has like an 8.5 tail, which is actually a tad longer than other common DLX tails (e.g. the 8.38. 8.4, and 8.5, which are like 8.437, IIRC). And don't worry...I got a set of both Cast Hollows and V-Hollows coming. Full Madness, let's roll. I hate NHS, but man, how I do like my Indys.

That's not the case actually. The 8.25 has a 6.5, the 8.5 is 6.625, and my recent 8.4 was between 6.625 and 6.725. The 8.38 is also 6.68. I hate short tails so its the one measurement I always keep track of and the 8.25 is not my preferred deck because of its tail although I will ride them. My normal BBS 8.38 is only 6.675, which isn't much longer, but I vastly prefer it to the DLX 8.25 and will ride the 8.4 and 8.38 before I'd ride the 8.25.

Honestly the cast pop feel isn't insanely different from Indy. It has a slightly delayed timing and is a bit heavier, but I see why people make the comparison.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4752 on: September 12, 2023, 03:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's not the case actually. The 8.25 has a 6.5, the 8.5 is 6.625, and my recent 8.4 was between 6.625 and 6.725. The 8.38 is also 6.68. I hate short tails so its the one measurement I always keep track of and the 8.25 is not my preferred deck because of its tail although I will ride them. My normal BBS 8.38 is only 6.675, which isn't much longer, but I vastly prefer it to the DLX 8.25 and will ride the 8.4 and 8.38 before I'd ride the 8.25.

Honestly the cast pop feel isn't insanely different from Indy. It has a slightly delayed timing and is a bit heavier, but I see why people make the comparison.

My experience has been different. I measure every deck I get. Never once had an 8.38, 8.4, or 8.5 with a LONGER tail than the 8.25. The opposite, actually. I stopped riding those mostly because of that exact issue (well, I love 14.38wb, too)—I, also, hate short tails (even worse, when they are more rounded off). I look forward to trying Venture, again…but I have been down this road before…will anything be different this time around? TBA. I’ll certainly post a follow-up once I’ve spent some time on them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:17:19 PM by Sedition »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4753 on: September 12, 2023, 05:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nhs is pretty harsh.

i will have an occasional excellent session on indy’s. and then go back to not liking them, wait a few months/years and try them again, rinse and repeat.

thunders might work the easiest for me, ventures are my favorite.
i used to hate on forged baseplates, but skated some thunder 148s that are forged and loved them, looking forward to trying some venture hi’s with the forged plate.

main difference for me, in adjusting from indy to venture pop, is just moving my popping foot, further towards the tip, with ventures. ventures lend themselves to an excellent ollie, which is a trick i will always struggle with. i just don’t spend much time doing ollies.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4754 on: September 12, 2023, 06:28:06 PM »

If it helps. It was an easier transition to ventures coming off Indy’s for me  than when I tried to transition to ventures from thunders. Not saying that ventures feel like Indy’s. But whe I tried  to go from thunders to venture I went back to thunder it felt too off and felt like i was wasting sessions trying to get used to it. But when i  went from Indy to venture by the end of the first session  I saw the light by the second or third I felt comfortable

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4755 on: September 12, 2023, 08:55:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

My experience has been different. I measure every deck I get. Never once had an 8.38, 8.4, or 8.5 with a LONGER tail than the 8.25. The opposite, actually. I stopped riding those mostly because of that exact issue (well, I love 14.38wb, too)—I, also, hate short tails (even worse, when they are more rounded off). I look forward to trying Venture, again…but I have been down this road before…will anything be different this time around? TBA. I’ll certainly post a follow-up once I’ve spent some time on them.

I write them down as well and below is a pic of the tail measurement of my last 8.4. I rode one 2 months ago (Grimple coloring book one) and took measurement pics for a friend when I set it up. It has the same tail length as the "8.5", but a longer nose and is actually 14.25.

I've had 2 of these at different times and both measured the same. I no longer have the pics of my last 8.38, but rode 4 last year and they were all the same.

https://www.skatedeluxe.ch/en/anti-hero-grimplestix-on-vacation-8-38-skateboard-deck-multi_p158529?cPath=42&brand_id=103

These dudes are always accurate with measurements and confirm the tail is 6.625 on the 8.38, which is longer. I'll be going by a shop Thursday and can grab pics of that as well, but there is absolutely no DLX deck in 8.25 and above with a tail smaller than 6.5.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4756 on: September 12, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »
am i the only one that likes short tails?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4757 on: September 12, 2023, 10:04:02 PM »

These dudes are always accurate with measurements and confirm the tail is 6.625 on the 8.38, which is longer...

Skatedeluxe is certainly better than most other (e.g. Tactics) when it comes to accuracy. However, their site does contain errors. For one example, they list V-Hollows and V-Cast as having the same height (see links below).  I'd chalk a 6.625 claim ail as one of their mistakes, as it is wholly inconsistent with every 8.38 I've owned (which is not many, as it is one of my most hated DLX shapes).

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/venture-v-hollow-lights-all-polished-high-5-6-achse-silver-8-25_p131621?cPath=44&brand_id=98

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/venture-v-cast-hollow-kader-pro-5-6-achse-ravv-8-25_p161357?cPath=44&brand_id=98   

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4758 on: September 13, 2023, 06:51:28 AM »
It's a stupid matter, but I'm heading to the shop tomorrow and will grab pics of the 8.25 and 8.38 as well. There's no way the 8.38 is under 6.5. I love that shape and can ride the Twin Tail just as well because it's the same exact tail but you get 2 of them. That one is consistently listed as 6.625.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4759 on: September 13, 2023, 07:28:56 AM »
i'm so curious about these measurements now

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4760 on: September 13, 2023, 07:35:27 AM »
It's a stupid matter, but I'm heading to the shop tomorrow and will grab pics of the 8.25 and 8.38 as well. There's no way the 8.38 is under 6.5. I love that shape and can ride the Twin Tail just as well because it's the same exact tail but you get 2 of them. That one is consistently listed as 6.625.

When I mentioned under 6.5, I mean it was a tiny amounts here, like 1/16th under. The ones I had very well could have just been odd-ball/bad sand jobs. The 6.625 seems out there to me…that’s like that 8.125 shape. Anyway, I’m curious to see what you find/see.

rikki

« Reply #4761 on: September 13, 2023, 09:45:59 AM »
Third session on my first-ever Ventures. This time, an indoor park with all kinds of stuff from mannie pads and ditches to a miniramp and bigger transition. Smooth sailing. Not once did I feel like something was off with the trucks. I FEEL them.

In short: I fucking love these trucks. Prolly gonna get me an AWAKE t-shirt or something.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4762 on: September 13, 2023, 10:57:58 AM »
am i the only one that likes short tails?

If FA 8.25 is considered short tail, then I think I enjoy short tails, at least compared to Girls 8.25. While the pop definitely feels heavy and more tiring, I find it very rewarding when I'm at my best

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4763 on: September 13, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I mentioned under 6.5, I mean it was a tiny amounts here, like 1/16th under. The ones I had very well could have just been odd-ball/bad sand jobs. The 6.625 seems out there to me…that’s like that 8.125 shape. Anyway, I’m curious to see what you find/see.

Ya know, if you think about the difference in steepness between a I and IV and that we measure tail length as the base of a right triangle, the hypotenuse shortens the steeper the deck is and thus the base shortens as well. So, it is entirely possible that measuring straight across as we usually do would give different measurements.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4764 on: September 13, 2023, 12:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ya know, if you think about the difference in steepness between a I and IV and that we measure tail length as the base of a right triangle, the hypotenuse shortens the steeper the deck is and thus the base shortens as well. So, it is entirely possible that measuring straight across as we usually do would give different measurements.

Was totally thinking exact same thing, too.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4765 on: September 13, 2023, 12:15:17 PM »
I bit the bullet on 8.2 v-lights to get the cast plate. Now I can mix and match.

My 7.75 cruiser is on Royals, is it worth being an idiot and putting venture los with 1/8 soft riser and dragons for asphalt crunching?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4766 on: September 13, 2023, 12:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Was totally thinking exact same thing, too.

DLX- I love you, but your Roman Numerals are really fucking with my gear madness.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4767 on: September 13, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
I bit the bullet on 8.2 v-lights to get the cast plate. Now I can mix and match.

My 7.75 cruiser is on Royals, is it worth being an idiot and putting venture los with 1/8 soft riser and dragons for asphalt crunching?

as an idiot myself, i have a cruiser setup like this and it's really fun

Vintagebody

• Rep: 83
« Reply #4768 on: September 13, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
Any DLX boards thats rather mellow? I've had my 2nd session with V-hollows 5,8, and 8,5 Silva deck. It has basicly no fingers of flat, super hefty pop, I dident really like it with Thunder either...

Or other Venture friendly decks? :D

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4769 on: September 13, 2023, 02:24:02 PM »
Any DLX boards thats rather mellow? I've had my 2nd session with V-hollows 5,8, and 8,5 Silva deck. It has basicly no fingers of flat, super hefty pop, I dident really like it with Thunder either...

Or other Venture friendly decks? :D

DLX decks have Roman numerals on the top ply near the front trucks. “IV” is the flattest. “I” is the steepest. Go for an IV.