Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359872 times)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5310 on: January 14, 2024, 07:19:15 PM »
It sounds crazy, but if these came out you could use the  long wheelbase on the nose and the smaller option on the tail, To give a longer tail.
Or vice versa, for a longer nose.
It almost seems like too many options to people who don’t pay too close attention to this stuff, but I would love it. It would open up a lot of decks

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5311 on: January 14, 2024, 07:52:51 PM »
for me, ventures work with everything deck wise, to the extent that if a board feels off to me, then i know it’s just the board. as opposed to ace, where i need all
of the stars to align.
so the dbl drilled baseplates wouldn’t be about different decks, but just trying out the different angles for pop.

what is the smallest change possible, i wonder?
with decks that chem-tool recommended something like 3/8, but that’s waaaaay too much.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5312 on: January 14, 2024, 08:01:53 PM »
It sounds crazy, but if these came out you could use the  long wheelbase on the nose and the smaller option on the tail, To give a longer tail.
It almost seems like too many options to people who don’t pay too close attention to this stuff, but I would love it. It would open up a lot of decks

for me, ventures work with everything deck wise, to the extent that if a board feels off to me, then i know it’s just the board. as opposed to ace, where i need all
of the stars to align.
so the dbl drilled baseplates wouldn’t be about different decks, but just trying out the different angles for pop.

with decks that chem-tool recommended something like 3/8, but that’s waaaaay too much.

The Chem tool had two options, firstly the 3/8" apart for one version and then 1/4" apart for another, so in metal 1/4" might work well, or even just setting it up for yourself with a market pen and looking at it to see what might look ok.

The other old trucks of any variety and current wider Indy six hole baseplates are 3/8" apart, so when trying that option it definitely made the kicks feel a lot more comfortable for me, so yes you could do one, or the other, or both.

I wonder if the Fuckwithyourtrucks guy has any experience redrilling baseplates.  Anyone tried recently?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5313 on: January 15, 2024, 07:04:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
of the stars to align.

[close]

The Chem tool had two options, firstly the 3/8" apart for one version and then 1/4" apart for another, so in metal 1/4" might work well, or even just setting it up for yourself with a market pen and looking at it to see what might look ok.

The other old trucks of any variety and current wider Indy six hole baseplates are 3/8" apart, so when trying that option it definitely made the kicks feel a lot more comfortable for me, so yes you could do one, or the other, or both.

I wonder if the Fuckwithyourtrucks guy has any experience redrilling baseplates.  Anyone tried recently?

thanks for info
i haven’t tried, but now very curious.
surprised that a 3/8 modification provided decent results!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5314 on: January 15, 2024, 02:09:41 PM »
double drilled baseplate for the tail doesnt sound half bad
definitely unnecessary but would be interesting
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5315 on: January 15, 2024, 02:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
of the stars to align.

[close]

[close]

thanks for info

Not a direct comparison, but moving the usual Venture truck in 3/8" on the tail on some boards can make it way too light, so it just doesn't work, but on others it made it feel more like where Ace truck axles sit, so for some it might be too light and tippy for what they are used to, but for others, it might open up a whole lot more for them in terms of longer wheelbase boards that didn't work so well before.

I guess that is the difference between drilling baseplates once, or drilling multiple boards over and over to move trucks to where you want them to sit, for people like Koston who wanted to ride Ventures but didn't want to have such a long wheelbase and didn't have the boards made for him like Chico or some others did - everything 14" wb on all his boards wasn't it?

* There are a bunch of moderately used current model Venture trucks sitting around here, so I might just have to test it and drill out a baseplate 1/4" and see how that works.  Who knows, it might feel so good I will ride Ventures now...

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5316 on: January 15, 2024, 02:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
of the stars to align.

[close]

[close]

thanks for info
[close]

Not a direct comparison, but moving the usual Venture truck in 3/8" on the tail on some boards can make it way too light, so it just doesn't work, but on others it made it feel more like where Ace truck axles sit, so for some it might be too light and tippy for what they are used to, but for others, it might open up a whole lot more for them in terms of longer wheelbase boards that didn't work so well before.

I guess that is the difference between drilling baseplates once, or drilling multiple boards over and over to move trucks to where you want them to sit, for people like Koston who wanted to ride Ventures but didn't want to have such a long wheelbase and didn't have the boards made for him like Chico or some others did - everything 14" wb on all his boards wasn't it?

* There are a bunch of moderately used current model Venture trucks sitting around here, so I might just have to test it and drill out a baseplate 1/4" and see how that works.  Who knows, it might feel so good I will ride Ventures now...
a quarter inch sounds ideal
you have any forged plates sitting around?
id pay to give it a spin
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5317 on: January 15, 2024, 02:57:50 PM »
I think I'd just collapse and give up if I had double drilled plates; madness overload.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5318 on: January 15, 2024, 08:53:16 PM »

a quarter inch sounds ideal
you have any forged plates sitting around?
id pay to give it a spin

The funny thing is the forged plates are harder to get and more popular, so besides the distance and cost to get them there, from Australia to USA, I don't have any to spare, only a lot of normal cast Venture baseplates, then mostly 5.6 hangers, but some 5.8 and 6.1 as well.

I wonder if anyone has asked DLX about the Venture baseplates and if anyone has any thoughts on drilling them out.  I have never tried, but I am guessing it is not too hard, given the right tools and a good eye, not to mess up the bolt holes.

Edit:

* I cut up or drill out wood every other day, mess with kingpins and reshape wheels, but just never really felt the need to drill out baseplates (until now) so although I have a drill and a metal bit in 5mm, I am still a little apprehensive.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 09:02:17 PM by Mbrimson88 »

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5319 on: January 15, 2024, 08:56:04 PM »
Or get those fake venture on aliexpress and experiment on em..

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5320 on: January 15, 2024, 11:04:33 PM »
Or get those fake venture on aliexpress and experiment on em..

A friend bought a pair and tried them out, zero turn on them while being overly glossy to the point of being an obvious fake. Didn't think it would be that hard to replicate trucks since China and 2Hex reuse the Indy Stage XI mold for their OEM brands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5321 on: January 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM »

venture low talks, interesting

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5322 on: January 20, 2024, 11:48:33 PM »

Much better video than the Crob one, 2 gear nerds talking fractions of inches and obsessing about griptape is what I'm here for. The industry's fallen out of love with Sewa but you can't deny his flatground skills.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5323 on: January 21, 2024, 09:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Much better video than the Crob one, 2 gear nerds talking fractions of inches and obsessing about griptape is what I'm here for. The industry's fallen out of love with Sewa but you can't deny his flatground skills.

For sure better (Crob makes me cringe) tho Ben could have not talked over Sewa so much at times. His board dims are super interesting/odd yet make sense given his height; dude's got such good pop and control, shame he hasn't landed anywhere.

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5324 on: January 21, 2024, 11:29:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For sure better (Crob makes me cringe) tho Ben could have not talked over Sewa so much at times. His board dims are super interesting/odd yet make sense given his height; dude's got such good pop and control, shame he hasn't landed anywhere.

Noticed this as well. I mean, let the person you're interviewing talk and don't butt in with your own opinions/jokes/rhetorical landfill all the time. Especially when the guy being interviewed is just about to say something meaningful. I'm not interested about Ben's personal concave preferences when the subject matter is an interesting pro skater.

De Gros is awesome, but the L.A. sunshine might've have given him an unnecessary boost here.

Sungam

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5325 on: January 22, 2024, 06:31:08 AM »

Really makes me want to try the low version now, found some with gold hardware but haven't pulled the trigger haha.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5326 on: January 22, 2024, 06:36:31 AM »
lo is so damn good, they had me running 5.2 lo with a 8.5
bigger sizes is the dream

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5327 on: January 22, 2024, 01:20:55 PM »
lo is so damn good, they had me running 5.2 lo with a 8.5
bigger sizes is the dream

I wonder if anyone could ever trim down a regular set of 6.1s the same way that others have trimmed down some other trucks, eg shortened the axle lengths on Indy 215s and reduced hanger wings and the like.  It would be way harder to do, but I imagine someone out there could do it, just reshape some taller hangers down to lower height hangers.

Comparing both a regular and a low truck hanger, I could see it working easily enough, but I am not at all skilled enough to attempt it.

Over the years I have seen people who blew out pivot cups and have been skating metal on metal for a bit and it grinded down the hanger nub enough to change the truck height.  Just taking down the pivot point on the hanger nub would be part way there, but shaving some off the wings as well would be needed I think.

Leave it at that for now, but it could be done.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #5328 on: January 22, 2024, 06:57:01 PM »

around 7:14, Sewa starts talking about how he only skates Ventures pre 2011. does anyone know what the actual difference is between the old and new ones? i got back into skating like 6 years ago and had no clue the geo changed during that time.

TomCruz

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5329 on: January 22, 2024, 07:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

around 7:14, Sewa starts talking about how he only skates Ventures pre 2011. does anyone know what the actual difference is between the old and new ones? i got back into skating like 6 years ago and had no clue the geo changed during that time.

The old Ventures have less wobble to them, which I preferred.  They also turned slightly less.  I could never get used to the latest version, they just have a different feel.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5330 on: January 22, 2024, 08:39:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The old Ventures have less wobble to them, which I preferred.  They also turned slightly less.  I could never get used to the latest version, they just have a different feel.

most of us venture folks skated the lo’s, or that’s how it felt.
there were two ‘old heads’ (both younger than me, but actually good at skating), that skated venture hi’s, exclusively, both on them from the very early 2000s. both switched around the time of the dlx acquisition. only one of them mentioned the dlx geo being different. he switched to 139s i think. the other guy (super super good) switched to ace, but i think that may have something to do with old industry connections.
aaaaaaaaaaanyways, i thought him liking the old ones was rad.

his treflips are really unique. i can’t think of someone else that does them like that. they are like a flatter, much higher daewon 360 flip. sorta (not really).
lots of flatground pop, which i love.

i really liked Ben’s last two videos. he and sewa did stumble over one another a bit, and Ben did over speak him too much. but overall mr degros has a really easy style and it works.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5331 on: January 23, 2024, 07:18:09 AM »
all this low talk has me contemplating in trying them out soon. just not sure if i can give up being able to turn lol
ever since i started riding ventures, it's always been on highs and with a flat top washer. should i just carry that over to the low's and will that be a decent compromise? it will most likely be paired with 52mm wheels

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5332 on: January 23, 2024, 07:39:24 AM »
Another year, another year without 5.6 and up Venture Los.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5333 on: January 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM »

Seriously sucks. Instead we get shorter bushing "loose" trucks as they try to be Ace.  But at least Ace makes lows in big sizes. 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5334 on: January 23, 2024, 08:25:56 AM »

if i keep telling myself they are coming, then they are coming

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #5335 on: January 23, 2024, 09:59:30 AM »
all this low talk has me contemplating in trying them out soon. just not sure if i can give up being able to turn lol
ever since i started riding ventures, it's always been on highs and with a flat top washer. should i just carry that over to the low's and will that be a decent compromise? it will most likely be paired with 52mm wheels
Start both trucks stock tightness for break in, then tighten/lossen from there. Lo’s are all I skate. As far as wheelbite, you’re gonna get that with any truck/ wheel combo. Having no wheelbite is a myth. Unless it’s high trucks with risers and small wheels
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5336 on: January 23, 2024, 11:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Start both trucks stock tightness for break in, then tighten/lossen from there. Lo’s are all I skate. As far as wheelbite, you’re gonna get that with any truck/ wheel combo. Having no wheelbite is a myth. Unless it’s high trucks with risers and small wheels

you’ll be able to turn, but not superfluously. all of that safety hands extra shit is out. pant leg sag checks, pager checks, that’s in.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5337 on: January 23, 2024, 12:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

you’ll be able to turn, but not superfluously. all of that safety hands extra shit is out. pant leg sag checks, pager checks, that’s in.
chandler burton is on the team

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5338 on: January 23, 2024, 05:09:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
chandler burton is on the team

great fuckin point, and i love that, for them.

but venture lo’s are a different story.

flocke

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5339 on: January 24, 2024, 04:15:18 AM »

i dont know how many comments, dm's they need till they make them