Author Topic: Big Boards = More Stability?  (Read 9036 times)

Spitfire4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Big Boards = More Stability?
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:22:54 PM »
I skated 8.5 with Indy 149's for quite a long time, and I recently switched to 8.0 with Thunder 147's. I've learned a lot of new tricks on ledges and on flat, which is awesome! But, when I was skating a pretty big euro gap, I kept getting speed wobbles rolling up, something that didn't happen with my 149's. So do bigger trucks have more stability? If so, should I switch back to 8.5, or try something like an 8.25. I'm just kinda bummed because I got 3 8.0-8.125 boards and those thunders for my birthday that I don't want to waste. Thanks!
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

KMAC

• Rep: -10
Re: Big Boards = More Stability?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »
I skated 8.5 with Indy 149's for quite a long time, and I recently switched to 8.0 with Thunder 147's. I've learned a lot of new tricks on ledges and on flat, which is awesome! But, when I was skating a pretty big euro gap, I kept getting speed wobbles rolling up, something that didn't happen with my 149's. So do bigger trucks have more stability? If so, should I switch back to 8.5, or try something like an 8.25. I'm just kinda bummed because I got 3 8.0-8.125 boards and those thunders for my birthday that I don't want to waste. Thanks!

bigger trucks definitely have more stability, but u might lose some tricks if u go back up in sizes. id say skate all those 8's and 8.1's and figure out if yu wanna go up to 8.25. if u still wanna go bigger than 8.25, then go back to 149's.

i just made the switch similar to yours and i like it way better. the bigger setup was good, but made the board a little beastly for my sz 9 foot. if anything try tightening up your trucks lol

Spitfire4life

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bigger trucks definitely have more stability, but u might lose some tricks if u go back up in sizes. id say skate all those 8's and 8.1's and figure out if yu wanna go up to 8.25. if u still wanna go bigger than 8.25, then go back to 149's.

i just made the switch similar to yours and i like it way better. the bigger setup was good, but made the board a little beastly for my sz 9 foot. if anything try tightening up your trucks lol
Thanks for the help! I'll just skate the rest and figure it out then.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
tightening up your trucks is the worst advice anyone could ever give you in skateboarding.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »
tightening up your trucks is the worst advice anyone could ever give you in skateboarding.

How do you rep posts on here?

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
sizing down on boards is the biggest pussy factor in skateboarding, be a fucking man and get an 8.5 atleast, kick it like you've got ball and its going to flip, kick it like a pussy and you will lose your tricks through faggotry.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
Sounds like the switch was for the best. I def land more tricks on the bigger surface and yeah the turning is slower! Getting super tech requires a smaller board, only dudes like chris cole can get away with it

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
Sounds like the switch was for the best. I def land more tricks on the bigger surface and yeah the turning is slower! Getting super tech requires a smaller board, only dudes like chris cole can get away with it
how fucking dumb.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »

Dead Art Collective

• Rep: -6
    • Dead Artist Collective avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
Big Boards = Newest skateboarding trend + more stability and they are harder to flip. Its really just whatever floats your boat if you skate a size enough you will get used to it pretty quick they are just different out of the gate
Wasting my life writing a blog for no one about everything
www.deadartistcollective.com

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
Is this 2012....aren't we suppose to be talking about shaped boards!

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -293
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:20:48 AM »
sizing down on boards is the biggest pussy factor in skateboarding, be a fucking man and get an 8.5 atleast, kick it like you've got ball and its going to flip, kick it like a pussy and you will lose your tricks through faggotry.

LOL @ you.

dillanharp

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
You ride big boards because you're afraid, it's ok.
I also read all of your posts in  the voice of Popeye Saavedra.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »

this. board size is like dick size. the bigger the better.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
riding a small deck size is like gay

hehee

high five bros!
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
big cocks, big boards
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
Ride the biggest cocks possible.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
Big Boards = Newest skateboarding trend + more stability and they are harder to flip. Its really just whatever floats your boat if you skate a size enough you will get used to it pretty quick they are just different out of the gate

and all this time I thought skinny boards were a late 90s early 00s trend. Looking forward to the big wheel trend so I can ride 52s again.

shark tits

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
jim gagne could make it rhyme but basically 'the bigger the board, the bigger the man'.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and all this time I thought skinny boards were a late 90s early 00s trend. Looking forward to the big wheel trend so I can ride 52s again.

For real Im tall so i like bigger set ups and at least 55mm wheels...they work better for me when bombing hills

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »

Just skate two different set ups. Once I get some money saved, I'm gonna do just that.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Spitfire4life

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just skate two different set ups. Once I get some money saved, I'm gonna do just that.
My birthday was last week and I got $200 so I built a new setup.
8.5 deck
169 Indys
54 Wheels
It's working out amazingly.